Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question for the IL players: building vs suspension of disbelief (connected with Seasons)

MorriSanMorriSan Posts: 412 Member
I'm more of a builder than a player. I do play a lot, but maybe only as much as I spend on builds - and I tend to exhaust myself on builds and THEN play after I have revamped all lots to my liking. Long exposé to explain that I haven't dived deeply into Island Living gameplay yet BUT this addon features impact on how I want to build - and I caught onto that just now and I hate uploading non fantasy lots that are only great at first glance but don't hold up in play.... well. HELP!!!! so I avoid big mistakes! Please.

There are a lot of build options mainly in doors and windows category that leave the inside open to the elements, at least it looks like it! For example, I was furnishing a living room that was very open - put in a high end TV (it's my billionaire character's house) and then I thought: wait a minute!

1) Do I want to stick electronics in a room that is open to the elements? Water and electronics don't mix! Sim Reality isn't RealLife, I doubt a tropical storm will blow into the room but... *points at suspension of disbelief*
2) Sulani has a tropical climate and unless somethign strange happens the inhabitants will never have to deal with true cold - but my Sim complained about cold once... My question: does the climate control NOT work in open to the outside rooms or do the windows count like normal ones as barrieres to the outside? The louver doors and windows don't look like there's glass between the wood pieces.

What are your experiences with the new build options + weather/temperature?

Thank you in advance for the help and insights.

Comments

• Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I had the same thoughts with those open windows, but used them anyway. I figure that if my Sims can 'run inside' when they're already inside, they won't know the difference.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited June 2019
    I've had the same qualms, but I assuaged them by adding blinds to the open windows. I like to imagine that they can be rolled down in inclement weather.

I can't answer the question about the climate controller - sorry - because I have gone low-tech and given my sims ceiling fans only and no heating (like the OP, I am working on the assumption that it never gets truly cold in Sulani and, if it does, my sims will just have to change into warmer clothing). However, based on my experience with the Jungle Adventures windows (most of which are unglazed), I very much doubt that the game distinguishes between glazed and unglazed windows - a window is just a window as far as it is concerned. In fact I'm pretty sure that windows serve no purpose in the game other than to let in light.
  • Options
    MorriSanMorriSan Posts: 412 Member
    @invisiblegirl, @FKM100 thank you for your thoughts!

Well, it hasn't stormed or rained hard in my game and my Sim was happy running around wet, no running inside yet. Maybe I'll give the weathermachine a try to test it. I've never used that thing and forgot about it. I wish we had individual blinds in the game. OK; I remember them not working really well and looking funky on Sims 3 so maybe that's not something to wish for. I don't play with CC apart from skins/hair/beards but maybe I'll make an exception. It really bothers me a lot more than it should.

You might be right with the classification FKM, it would explain a lot. On the other hand, we've got new ceiling fans that should (if they did as they said and fixed it) cool a room - and an old one that is purely decorative. An old fashioned heater that does nothing but look cool and the same deal for the terrasse heater thingie from Dining Out. Sometimes the Devs surprise us in a positive way, eh?

I used some of those windows for a Summer Camp build in Granite Falls to great effect and wonderful looks - and whimpered when thinking about what will happen to the nice mess hall in winter but- 'Summer' camp, I can play it legitimately that it is closed when it is too cold.

But outside Sulani a lot of the new windows, working like regular ones or not, will look very, very strange. Hehe, I'm happy for the variety though, better this than another glazed square wood window.
  • Options
    RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    Considering you can place the open Mediterranean windows between a pool and a basement, I don't think the openness is taken into consideration :D
  • Options
    miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    I saw a speed build (Thetideschanging on YT) where she sort of created a wrap around porch and used the open windows as the fencing. I thought it looked really nice and you could create a one tile inaccessible “porch” around the room with the open windows on all the wall tiles. It would seem like a separation from the elements for storm protection while still being open and airy. Hopefully that makes sense!