Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off the Grid and Laundry

I'd like to request that the washtub be made to work "off the grid" so that my Sim can do her laundry at her little camp of sorts. Maybe instead of running on plumbing the washtub water can be changed out with water from the sea or something. Thank you for reading!

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I'd like to request that the washtub be made to work "off the grid" so that my Sim can do her laundry at her little camp of sorts. Maybe instead of running on plumbing the washtub water can be changed out with water from the sea or something. Thank you for reading!

Either that or wash clothes in the river with scrubbing board. That's really off the grid.
  • Options
    sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    That would be a really great option too!
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    why not include automatic washers and dryers as well because as a player to me off the grid is not useful i much prefer modern life and comododites for my sims
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Your washers and dryers and eletronics, etc.. will work well as long as your lot isn't an Off the Grid lot! I am having a blast living off the grid and doing it the bare necessities way -- bushes to relieve yourself in, grilling pit in the ground, etc... It just makes sense to me that you could wash out the water in the washtub in the sea to continue doing laundry without electricity or plumbing!
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    Agreed, sixdeadqueens! Although, if you rinse out your washtub in the sea, river, or pond, you'll be polluting your water source. Becoming disabled put an end to my backpacking years ago, so I forget how many feet you have to be from a water source, but iirc it's at least 50 feet, possibly more.

Would fit in really well with the conservation theme if ignorant sims could pollute their water sources with their dumped washwater... :kissing: (that emoticon looks like whistling rather than kissing to me, so that's what I'm using it for!)
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I hope they fix Off The Grid. It‘s a great concept, but it needs some fixing
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    marinapjanicmarinapjanic Posts: 109 Member
    edited June 2019
    There is a mod that enables you to replace water in washtub.
    https://nieswillsneeze.tumblr.com/post/185725408829/sims-4-replace-water-off-grid-mod-nies
  • Options
    14hours14hours Posts: 82 Member
    I'm just here to back up this idea. I think it's entirely ridiculous that you can't change the water out off the grid, especially when nearly every neighborhood in the game has a river or body of water in it. Why do I need plumbing to tip out a bucket and refill it?

Letting us wash clothes in rivers and the ocean would be cool too.
    B6dXq3o.png
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Another example of EA not thinking it through and not being consistent. No plumbing = taking bucket to nearest water source, filling it, and walking back with said full bucket to whatever you are filling. For drinking/cooking purposes that means fresh water so rivers, ponds, wells, and the waterfall would work. Sea water is good only for washing (with salt water soap). Drinking/cooking = sick at best, dead at worst.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I was able to get my sims to wash clothes in the little tub on the ground and then hang the clothes on the washing line. It took them nearly all night to do it, but they COULD do it.
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    EA even has a wishing well (Get Together?), though the animation for tossing in a coin won't work for pulling up a bucket of water. As someone suggested earlier (this thread or another), a hand-pump such as the ones you can find at some primitive campgrounds in the National Forests would be ideal. Might take more animating than they consider worthwhile to do, though.

We can water plants, though, so maybe they can use that animation for a 'refill laundry tub' action, the 'carry laundry' animation (which is broken in my game, btw--the bug fix didn't work) but substituting a bucket for the laundry bag, & have us refill at a sink-object that's been redesigned to look like it's a pump. I didn't put that in the correct order, but trust you'll catch my drift. Not that EA will ever read this here, or that the programmers need the suggestion!
  • Options
    Hey Sucom! Could you replace the dirty water in the tub? After one load, it won't let me replace the water due to plumbing/off the grid trait.
  • Options
    Love that idea Tiarella!
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    Hey Sucom! Could you replace the dirty water in the tub? After one load, it won't let me replace the water due to plumbing/off the grid trait.

Hi, I'm afraid I got so fed up of my sims being hungry all the time, I moved them into a regular lot so never tried emptying the water. If I had not been able to empty the water, it may possibly have irritated me that little bit more. It was bad enough when the fire caught 'on fire' twice, and twice burnt the chair next to it and my sims, and some neighbours who arrived at the island, were unable to get to the fire for some reason so couldn't ever put it out. I don't think I will play off the grid again. It's just too annoying.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member

@sixdeadqueens - thanks for creating this thread. I thought it was just me. I had my Sims do laundry only realizing that you can only do laundry 1 time because you can't change the water in the washtub. This to me is just ridiculous. To your point, water can be changed out several types of ways. But there's a toilet that works with off the grid. How is that toilet working? So it seems pretty inconsistent. I like the concept of the lot trait, I think it just needs better execution. It does make the game a lot more challenging for rags to riches gameplay so I'm excited about that.....but some of the off the grid objects just doesn't make sense.