Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Late Adopter - First Impressions

I am new to The Sims 4, having only come on board with the recent free base-game giveaway from EA.

Let the it stand for the record, and whatever Marketing types want to know, that in my case at least, it worked.

That is, I am playing, enjoying, and buying content.

I am a late adopter by design. In the case of The Sims, I had a lot invested in TS3, in terms of expansions, stuff packs, mods and, most compelling to me, builds and active households. When TS4 launched, I was not remotely ready to move on.

I also like to leave significant time after a new game's release to allow the worst bugs and omissions to be remedied before I dive in. Or, as my more cynical side expresses it, "I don't pay to Beta-test".

In both regards, the offer of a free TS4 base game were well-timed: In TS3 I had finally hit a wall where my play was becoming repetitive and less engrossing, and all my CC and mods - not to mention the age and size of my households - was really slowing things down. I was ready for the change. In TS4, there were now several years' worth of content updates, including careers my Sims have enjoyed, plus numerous packs already available to choose among, to add those play features I feel my own game most needs.

Immediately, although feeling a bit lost in topsy-turvy land as I sussed out the differences from TS3, I was charmed. There were elements of play that added depth and made me more concerned with how precisely my Sim used his leisure. Career-related responsibilities reminded me, in a good way, of some of the structure I had enjoyed in The Sims Medieval (although I do wish they varied a bit, day to day. My Culinary Sims produce more food that we can possibly eat, etc).

I didn't really feel the absence of content until my sister (who plays over my shoulder once or twice a week) groused that there were no hot tubs, found that Perfect Patio Stuff Pack included them, and gifted it to me. And that set me off. To me, a hot tub suggests massage tables and saunas, to give my Sims the totally sybaritic experience they deserve. I did my own research, and Spa Day included that and more. The Wellness skill gave me just the change of play I needed right then for my initial singleton YA TS4 Sim, who was getting a bit stale.

That was within a week of starting to play.

I am not one to add a pack just because there is a pack. It has to offer something I am excited about. But I have plenty to choose from.

Most recently, my married couple (and a stern look at whoever decided "Plan Wedding" meant "Do It Right Now", btw) were closing in on completing their initial Aspirations, making good money, and had updated Sandtrap Flat to be this luxury Mid-Mod poolside dream-home, and starting to think about kids.

Here again, being a late adopter helped. In a word, TODDLERS! Babies are (sorry, baby-lovers) boring, crying, sleeping poop-factories. Kids are fun, but TS3 Toddlers were a feature I enjoyed, and I am glad I never experienced TS4 without them. Both my Sims had completed Aspirations in time to make their next ones all about family, I had figured out how to have room for kids and keep their dream-home, and was ready to go.

Another round of kudos to the updated gender options. I play same-sex couples, so being able to say "yes, Avery can become pregnant even though he's a guy" without third party mods was very welcome. I don't know if Avery is a trans man, or they used sorcery, or what, but giving my gay couple biological kids puts EA right out there in the representation game, and I hope those who made that brave decision are feeling vindicated, rather than regretful.

Which brings me to spending money again. My second Game Pack, Parenthood. You can thank Carl for the good press, by the way - and please do because his Sims site is a wonderful resource. I imagine I'd have had plenty to do with little Alfie, regardless, but I know I enjoyed Generations in TS3 and, while this was a different pack, I had learned to be confident in the quality of TS4 DLC. Skills in Game Packs is a great idea. I loved Wellness, and Parenting looks engaging, too, especially in a household I have decided to make about that.

And my new proud dads got to celebrate the arrival of their kid with Pride gear patched in the very next day! That's controversial, too, I know, and I kind of get that, but as someone who was in the baby stage myself when Stonewall actually happened, it's welcome. If anyone gives you grief that there are Pride shirts for Toddlers and Children, give them a look, and explain that gay people have families, too. I didn't dress Alfie in one - I couldn't resist the shirt with the foxes on the little neckerchief - but was pleased to see the option there. Also pleased that only ONE design included non-Simlish lettering, and three did not. No gripes about partnering with It Gets Better - it's a great cause - but I prefer Simlish.

Are there things I miss? Yes - Create a Style was a huge part of my TS3 play. Are there things that bug me? Yes - I know art, and the categories of those Sim-created paintings are... iffy. But that's super minor. And my Culinary Sims are WAY TOO FOND of their home bars, but mod-scripters had offered a fix long since.

All in all, I am seriously enjoying TS4. Thank you for making me an offer I couldn't refuse. And I am happily (if selectively) spending money on The Sims again.

Comments

• Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I am glad you are liking the game, I enjoy it also. It isn't my favorite of the series but I do get a lot of fun playing it.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I am enjoying it more than expected. And I think I was wise to wait. Honestly, I am at this point as happy with it as I was with TS3, even with only 2 Game Packs, one Stuff Pack and, as yet, no Expansions. I do have an eye on City Living... but we'll see. :)
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I am enjoying it more than expected. And I think I was wise to wait. Honestly, I am at this point as happy with it as I was with TS3, even with only 2 Game Packs, one Stuff Pack and, as yet, no Expansions. I do have an eye on City Living... but we'll see. :)

Thats great! :) I like sims 4 a lot myself. This week , I haven't been shy about criticizing things that I felt could be done better but I still enjoy it very much!
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."