Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off The Grid Living

How would your sim live, like what would you put in the house and help fill their needs?

Example;
Cooking
Lights
Entertainment
Etc...

I know the waterfall and swimming in the beach fills hygiene.
Plus having the wash board and clothes line for laundry.

So excited for Island living and the trait, hopefully in another pack they’ll add more to this like solar power and windmills.

Comments

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Cooking: outside grill, salads (although I don’t know what they’re gonna do about fridges)
    Lights: someone said something about candles
    Entertainment: beachy things, board games, outdoor games, etc
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    About missing fridge, you can grill fresh fish and fruits from inventory.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited June 2019
    I am most excited for the off-the-grid lot trait, I think.

Cooking: barbecues (the barrel one from JA), the coolers and campfires from OR, the new cooking pit. I plan to avoid fridges unless they are updated to look like cabinets or shelves or otherwise made more low-tech
    Lights: candles
    Entertainment: books, card tables, musical instruments like the violin and guitar, the easel, toys. Lots of choices there.
    Toilet: toilet bush. I wish they'd add an outhouse or an earth toilet.
    Hygiene: shower in the rain (came with Seasons), waterfall; I am surprised to hear that swimming improves hygiene, because that wasn't the case in pools, but, if true, that will make it easy to keep sims clean. I wish they'd added a hot springs hot tub.
    Energy: beds, tents. They need to bring back sleeping bags and find a way to make coffee and tea without appliances.

Something was said about certain objects being updated to work off-the-grid in the next patch. Maybe that means outdoor showers, short-wave radios, plumbing-free toilets, oil lamps, pantries instead of fridges, etc. I hope so; more options are always good.
  • Options
    bsasinbsasin Posts: 33 Member
    I think one of the fridges will work off the grid (the vintage one) as it is placed in the shipwreck pilot which is off the grid I think.

Pools do increase hygiene (I did that for my historic save), albeit very slowly. Not sure if swimming in the ocean would do that same but there’s always the waterfall and shower in the rain (which I can’t ever get to work reliably).

I wish coolers could store food like fish and meals too. I think they’re adding more campfires and the pit bbq to this pack.

What I wish is that you could search a pile of wreckage and find materials like wood, cloth, leaves that you could then use to craft basic survival needs (shelter, fishing spear or trap, all the way up to a canoe). And also get some materials from harvestable like coconut trees. Maybe you’d need to first craft/find a knife and then as you get better at “crafting”, you can make more sophisticated stuff. The woodworking table isn’t quite the same for that. That would be so great 😍
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

Cooking: barbecues (the barrel one from JA), the coolers and campfires from OR, the new cooking pit. I plan to avoid fridges unless they are updated to look like cabinets or shelves or otherwise made more low-tech
    Entertainment: books, card tables, musical instruments like the violin and guitar, the easel, toys. Lots of choices there.
    Hygiene: shower in the rain (came with Seasons), waterfall; I am surprised to hear that swimming improves hygiene, because that wasn't the case in pools, but, if true, that will make it easy to keep sims clean. I wish they'd added a hot springs hot tub.
    Energy: beds, tents. They need to bring back sleeping bags and find a way to make coffee and tea without appliances.

Something was said about certain objects being updated to work off-the-grid in the next patch. Maybe that means outdoor showers, short-wave radios, plumbing-free toilets, oil lamps, pantries instead of fridges, etc. I hope so; more options are always good.

In debug you can find the "bad quality" toilet from the woodworking bench. It looks like a box with a bucket under it. I'm hoping they make it work OTG.
  • Options
    jazminesarahjazminesarah Posts: 44 Member

Would be amazing if they added more in a patch. It’s going to be such a fun lot trait to play.
    Right now I could see it being a little disappointing without having the outdoor shower/toilet and just those little things to make it more realistic.
  • Options
    jazminesarahjazminesarah Posts: 44 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    How would your sim live, like what would you put in the house and help fill their needs?

Example;
    Cooking
    Lights
    Entertainment
    Etc...

I know the waterfall and swimming in the beach fills hygiene.
    Plus having the wash board and clothes line for laundry.

So excited for Island living and the trait, hopefully in another pack they’ll add more to this like solar power and windmills.

Food/Drinks:
    • Raw produce (Various)
    • Pit BBQ (IL)
    • Grills (BG)
    • Campfire (OR)
    • Cooler (OR/TS)
    • Bars (BG)
    • Portable bars (GT)
    • Lux drinks tray (SD)
    • Backyard drinks tray (BY)
    • Kava bowl (IL)
    • Punch fountain (LP)
    • Buffet table (LP)
    • Marketstalls (Various)
    • Dried grilled cheese (JA)
    • Gourmet fruitcake (cooked elsewhere, never spoils)
    • Unspoilable food from Fresh Chef (cooked elsewhere, never spoils)
    • Counter (you can make salads and nigiri from raw things in your inventory)
    • Wood burning stoves (if they update to work off grid)
    • Fireplaces (if they update to allow roasting items on them)

Lighting:
    • Candles (Various)
    • Torches (JA/IL)
    • Kerosene/paraffin/oil lanterns (Various)
    • Gas lantern (OR)
    • LED lantern (OR)
    • Fiery coffee table (GT)
    • Bonfires (GT/IL)
    • Lit solar system project (PH)

Entertainment:
    • Ocean (IL)
    • Sand (IL)
    • Pool (BG)
    • Books (Various)
    • Easel (Various)
    • Workbench (BG)
    • Floristry bench (SNS)
    • Violin (BG)
    • Guitar (BG)
    • Piano (BG)
    • Perform scenes (GF)
    • Podium (CL)
    • Portable radio (BG)
    • Portable dancefloor (GT)
    • Game tables (BG/GT)
    • Chess (Various)
    • Foosball (GT)
    • Darts (GT)
    • Tell jokes (funny interaction)
    • Tell stories (friendly/funny interaction)
    • Pranks (mischief interactions)

Hygiene:
    • Ocean (IL)
    • Pool (BG)
    • Shower in waterfall (IL)
    • Shower in rain (SNS)
    • Waterfall in a bottle (JA)
    • Cleansing cream (OR)
    • Portable shower (OR)
    • OTG Baths (Various?)
    • OTG Showers (Various?)
    • OTG Sinks (Various?)
    • Laundry tub (LD)
    • Washing line (LD)
    • Brushing pets clean (mod)

Will definitely being saving this list. I swear I haven’t even used half of this stuff and sure as hell didn’t even think about the lanterns and candles hahah.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I like the notion of off-grid living. Let's hope it works in my Ancestral save. I may have to move the family to the island, however. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    -Hunger
    .Ordering Pizza.
    .Grill Cooking Thingy.
    .Vendor Stalls.

-Energy
    .I'll just buy a bed, this isn't off the grid.

-Hygiene
    .Hoping Bathtubs don't count. Otherwise I'm out of luck.

-Social
    .Talking to people. Or they'll just be a loner.

-Fun
    .Card Games!!!

-Bladder
    .Time to find a bush!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    -Hunger
    .Ordering Pizza.

Has ordering a pizza ever worked for anyone? I think maybe the pizza has actually shown up once out of the many years I’ve played 😜
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I’ll be using a modded cooler from LittleMsSam (if it still works)
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    edited June 2019
    -Hunger
    .Ordering Pizza.

Has ordering a pizza ever worked for anyone? I think maybe the pizza has actually shown up once out of the many years I’ve played 😜

Works for me. Not every time, but you don't pay until the delivery person shows up, so at least I'm not wasting 25 simoleans.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    I’m just excited that they didn’t scrap the whole Off the Grid content when they were making Laundry Day stuff pack because I voted for that. I hope we get more of this in the future!
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If your sim lives on a lot with the Off The Grid trait, will their cell phone still work?
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    This is a VERY cool addition. I wont be using it very soon, cause I need the right sim at the right moment for it (playing rotational generations).
    But I am exited to use this lot trait once and live faaaar away on an island with only the necessary things and just be a fisherman or something.
    Maybe one of my elders can ever do this.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    For fun, they can also cloudgaze/stargaze if you have that pack.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If your sim lives on a lot with the Off The Grid trait, will their cell phone still work?

Hmmm... now the ordering pizza tactic might not work...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

I was wondering about selecting odd jobs.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    AlanSims wrote: »
    I’m just excited that they didn’t scrap the whole Off the Grid content when they were making Laundry Day stuff pack because I voted for that. I hope we get more of this in the future!

I voted for that too. So so excited about the Off Grid aspect of the pack. Hope we will see more little things added going forward in the game. Will play a bit with my current save in the Island to get a feel for how Off Grid works and set up a new Castaway Sim-challenge for myself. Had a blast last time and now I think it will be so much better. Just want to scout the Islands and see how it works first.

Super excited :smiley:
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited June 2019
    -Hunger
    .Ordering Pizza.

Works for me. Not every time, but you don't pay until the delivery person shows up, so at least I'm not wasting 25 simoleans.

I read in another thread that the Sim had to go to another lot to use the phone to get a job, so I don't think they will be able to order delivery.

I wonder if there will even be vehicles "driving" on the island.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »
    -Hunger
    .Ordering Pizza.

I read in another thread that the Sim had to go to another lot to use the phone to get a job, so I don't think they will be able to order delivery.

I wonder if there will even be vehicles "driving" on the island.

I really hope phones will not work. I would love to use this trait in other worlds. I can imagine the fun of making a "medieval-type" world.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited June 2019
    -Hunger
    .Ordering Pizza.

if they show up. its probably harder on a island .i'm picturing a snorkling pizza guy. :)
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

I was wondering about selecting odd jobs.

From what I've read, cell phones won't work when you're on a lot with the Off The Grid trait. But I don't see why it wouldn't work if you go into town or to another lot.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    There were flush toilets before modern plumbing - Elizabeth I had one.
    I just want things to match. :'(