Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your plans for living off the grid?

When I first heard of this new lot trait, I wondered how it was going to work, given that so far the game has been trying very hard to brainwash us into believing that only technology-related activities are fun and useful. But no electricity means no TV, no video games, no writing or programming or media production, only candles for light sources, and I wonder if fridges and mobiles are going to work.

I'm planning to move two sirens into the shipwreck on volcano island, and have been thinking about how they could spend their days. There is actually a surprising number of things sims can still do without modern technology, such as painting, gardening, playing instruments, yoga, woodworking, archaeology and more. Granted, not all of them are considered fun by sims, but they won't get bored either. And who cares about the fridge, I think I'm just going to have my mermaids catch fish and cook their meals over a fireplace outside. They will have beds in the shipwreck in case of bad weather and volcanic eruptions, otherwise they might as well sleep in the water or in bushes, in tune with the nature surrounding them.

How are you going to use this trait? Is it something you're looking forward to? Share some of your ideas!

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I am looking forward to this as I enjoyed doing a similar thing in ts3.

I had a guy who got shipwrecked on a desert island (I put him on one of the island paradise islands that only had one lot space). He had a makeshift home built out of deco upright wood pieces and part of a flat roof for a little shelter. I covered the roof in rugs and coloured them wood planks for effect.

He met a wild dingo there for company, he fished for his meals and swam etc. He built a raft and tried to find the mainland but the sim God always made sure he ended up back at his island.

Eventually a mermaid came to the island and they fell in love and had a baby.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I'm in love with the off the grid idea, I have been waiting for something like this for a really long time. This combined with the "nudist" lot trait makes it perfect for a communal hippy island.
    I want to start a new save where I'll turn the island on the left of the map (the one with 5 lots) into a knit-tight community that lives off the grid and help each other. I plan on having 4 households moving there and turn the biggest lot on that island into the communal centre/beach with a chilled atmosphere, yoga mats, and all that jazz. They will also of course work on cleaning the island since they'll be very environmentally friendly sims.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    @AlbaWaterhouse I love that idea!

Don't forget the very essential hippy bubble blowing machine :D

It's great too that we can do off the grid laundry if we want to, all those clothes getting dried in the sunshine.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I am so excited about this lot trait! I have already played with "off-grid" sims (they just never paid bills :D). I used grill instead of stove and fridge, a bush instead of a toilet, and a pool instead of a shower (or just made sims shower in the rain). Oh, and I used fireplace and candles for lighting.
    I'm gonna make a castaway sim, move him on one of the lots near the volcano and try some kind of rags and riches challenge.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    It can work if you have other packs, what about those who don't have coolers, bushes and all that? We know you can use waterfalls to shower and if it rains, you can shower in the rain; but curious to know how else it will be handled? Gardens can take a while and what about toilets if no plumbing?
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    @XxAirixX The most basic toilet has been shown to work with the pack (for whatever reason), and in the volcanic neighbourhood at least, there is also a public toilet near the shipwreck. Growing your own gardens takes time, but you can always harvest wild plants or go fishing for food if you don't want to buy anything at the stalls. There should also be a few things you can grill without requiring a fridge.
  • Options
    Fishing would probably be the best bet as it usually takes three days after visiting a place to be able to harvest wold plants I noticed. There are fish traps but seems like people are having a hard time catching fish from videos I've seen. Though fishing might be easier for mermaids.
  • Options
    bsasinbsasin Posts: 33 Member
    You can pee in the water in this pack apparently.

I plan to do a castaway sim on the shipwreck lot, but I’ll need to clean up the lot to take out some of the excess and make it more realistic/harder.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited June 2019
    Vampire living in off the grid lot seems dope, they can just fish at night make bloodbag, no cooking needed, and sleep in the day or read books and whatnot
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    IreneLudwigIreneLudwig Posts: 125 Member
    I've always wanted something like the off the grid trait and I think I will play another Decades challenge. The first time I played it I always had problems with my Sims occasionally using their phones and it broke the immersive experience :D I'm looking forward to try it out!
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    My Sims never have televisions, but I like to use the wall speakers for lullabies for my toddlers, and I also have them dance to get exercise every day. I think that when I played an 'off the grid' house, I had the tots 'run around' for exercise.

The computer is the hardest thing, since you need it to order things from time to time. And not having a fridge will mean having to fix every meal. I'm rather looking forward to playing this, in any case - it'll be a fun challenge.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    i plan on making a beach bum that lives of the grid very excited for this
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I like the off-grid idea too :) No particular plans yet, though.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    My Sims never have televisions, but I like to use the wall speakers for lullabies for my toddlers, and I also have them dance to get exercise every day. I think that when I played an 'off the grid' house, I had the tots 'run around' for exercise.

The computer is the hardest thing, since you need it to order things from time to time. And not having a fridge will mean having to fix every meal. I'm rather looking forward to playing this, in any case - it'll be a fun challenge.

Laptops might work, but maybe only for a limited time. Perhaps you have to go use them on a lot with power to recharge them? That would be cool.
  • Options
    MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    edited June 2019
    I plan to move a sim of mine to Sulani and he’ll fall in love with the mainmermaidd/islander girl from the trailer. I also plan to create a mermaid couple and have mermaid children. It will be a very fun experience and I don’t really know what to expect but the wait is killing me 🤣
    Edit: I’m also really excited to live off the grid because it’s gonna be a new fun experience but I don’t know what to expect when it comes to off the grid living.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

For the laptops, you can have them travel to the library every now and then.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options

For the laptops, you can have them travel to the library every now and then.

Plus you can take them with you and set them other tables and desks. As most people have their sims travel, that would be a good time to use it. It would be nice if you can set them down or use them anywhere outside the lot. That would really make them come in handy.
  • Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I'm moving a sim from San myshuno who really needs to restart their life. Starting in a beach shack off the grid. They can shower out by the waterfall and pick up odd jobs to fix up their place. She'll fish and cook over an open fire for her dinners and harvest seasonal fruit otherwise.
  • Options
    Does off the grid disable the mobile phones?
  • Options
    AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    I just recently made a sim who lives in the "Mid-NoWhere" Windenburg Island lot who is living in a tent, has a fire, and fishes for a living. He recently came into some food to plant (since I won't let him buy seeds XD). When I saw this lot trait I was beyond thrilled. Now his life won't just be a self imposed challenge but also one with gameplay effects.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited June 2019
    I typed in another thread how I do not have a sim for that type of playing now, but I am super excited to try this out one day!
    My best guess for now is that I will have a lonely elder fisherman move to the island, somewhere far away from others, have a fishing boat, a little shaft on the deck with open windows to enjoy the summer storms! He will do wood working, gardening, fishing (eat and sell for some little cash), swim/snorkel, work out and once in while socialize with some of his island friends.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    yeah, i believe one of the gurus had said something about laptops having limited use in a lot with the off the grid trait. my initial guess about that was something about battery life, so might be usable for an hour or so a day or something. we'll just have to see when the pack arrives

i've got a few sims i'm planning on either setting up in lots with this trait or giving this trait to the lots they're in. my plantsim household is the hardest one for me to decide about, actually. one would be perfectly fine with it, as she's grown up in a plantsim community in the deep wilderness, but the other is a modern guy and has gotten used to all the gadgets that help him in his adventures (he's an explorer) even though the only things that use electricity in their house are a tv, a fridge, and a laptop. plumbing is another story, but that should be easily fixable when the pack drops

and speaking of plumbing, there have got to be a handful of items in that section that will work with the trait, even just in base game, so that it won't be absolutely ridiculous trying to deal with bladder and hygiene needs without sims going into failure on them constantly. i'm actually surprised there's no little outhouse building you can plop down, like a smaller version of those set up off buildable lots everywhere for sims to use

for my own use of the shipwreck, i'm planning on having my samoan vampire live in it, possibly with a ghost from the ship when it wrecked, who is likely going to feed off sims that despoil the islands (and use fishing to make plasma packs between 'punishment' feedings) and commune with the island spirits to see who deserves to be the next meal. (i'm thinking about a somewhat similar thing with a mermaid living up near the volcano, but want them both to be unique instead of 'a vampire and a mermaid doing the same thing for the same reason')

also, on the fishing bit... just a heads up, but apparently the child of the ocean trait is not a good one to pick if you plan on having your sim do a lot of fishing. it seems to be similar to the squeamish trait in that it will give the sim a bad moodlet (i think this one was tense as opposed to uncomfortable, though. but don't recall exactly) because they feel similarly to those sharks from finding nemo. "fish are friends, not food"
  • Options
    bsasinbsasin Posts: 33 Member
    I’m going to empty out the shipwreck lot of everything but the shipwreck decor and put a sim that’s a materialistic, lazy, and either squeamish or klepto on it as a castaway. Then he’ll have to learn to fish and forage and slowly build himself a camp until he realizes he’s on a populated island (and that they’re a canoe chillin unused nearby according to a video I saw).
  • Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Laptops might work, but maybe only for a limited time. Perhaps you have to go use them on a lot with power to recharge them? That would be cool.

When I played homeless Sims, if I had to buy anything once they had a little money, I went to use the library's computer. I think you can do that it Sims 4.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Rags to riches for sure. This will be a really fun take on it and how I plan on spending my time with the new pack at first. Exploring the upgraded fishing skill and living off the island. Maybe will have her do some odd jobs here and there. I’m very excited they added this I feel like this adds a fun challenge to the sims 4.