Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you want the “Opportunity” system in Sims 4?

I’m curious to find how many people would want EA to add in the Oppurtunity system from The Sims 3, into The Sims 4.

The opportunity system was actually one of the best parts of the Sims 3 for me. It added easy gameplay (it basically utilised existing content) but it made it interesting.

For example, there were Chess Tournaments, Cooking bake offs etc that while it’s basically “cook food and put it in your inventory” or “go to the park and play chess” it gave reason to play and keeps promoting you with things to do.

Would you like to see this feature added back in as part of a patch? Or would you rather other free content?

Do you want the “Opportunity” system in Sims 4? 120 votes

Yes! I miss it!
59%
Bluefairy286sims2freak737PlayerSinger2010joelygirlsims2simm621asimbsimStrangerthanAnmirlasimgirl1010MagdaleenaloubyloulouRoboSpongiegoodcakebaker62KirbySkywalkermarcel21JennyggKatiardguezduhboy2u2VanityHighPlumbobCrossing 71 votes
Yes! But I would want it done differently (explain)
17%
alan650111MjstsmPBagoas77zagboorulesdetermigBriel24DaemonPawsKniga_SitaraLyrieEvaliynLucofizzfranny89EnkiSchmidtbythedreadwolfdoedearMDianaSimsFurSimsOfficialsoko37AirakalesimuelleAriaMad2 21 votes
No, I didn’t use it/like it.
23%
Akl500PSimmervilleCrazyboutTheSimsColorist40Isb917BloosmooMeteoraStormelanorbretonElokadrake_mccartysekojranataydevelelunicyFinvolaAdria22texxx78catmando830Bearpal64shnailehCorenren 28 votes

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    For me, I think it kept the town moving and gave a sense of community to the game.

I think it also gives more purpose to everyday objects.

I’d love if my Sim cams home from the Business career and for example it said

“Hey it’s a food contest in the office tomorrow! Prepare your best dish and bring it to work and the winner will get to come home early”

Or a Sim in the artist career:

“The local painting contest is upon us again. Submit your best work and if you win, you’ll receive a $2000 cash prize and maybe gain some impressive work performance”

Just little things that mean when I come home it didn’t “eat, fun, bladder, shower, sleep”
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I think this would be cool, but as long as it’s optional because there’s going to be people that wouldn’t like it.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don't know anything about it (so I won't vote), but from the sounds of it I think I could mostly do without it? I feel like the list of events and things constantly popping up on the screen is already more than I would like. But if they add it in an unintrusive way (by either incorporating it into the calendar silently or having the player actively seek out the information on the computer or whatever) then I would be fine with it.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    Yes. But as Cupid said, the current pop-ups are bad enough. It would be nice if it was just something you look for on your phone and/or on a notice board somewhere.

We have some similar things already, there is talent showcase night, the festivals, karaoke competitions and maybe more I can’t think of right now.

Some ideas they could add are basketball tournaments, repairing people’s stuff, weight lifting competitions, and the things from sims 3 like the cook offs would be fun too.

Lots of great ideas could come from implementing this again. Good idea, thanks for sharing it.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    Yeah, at least something that could make this game more interesting and challenging.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I voted no. I'm fairly sure I just ignored like 95% of the opportunities in the Sims 3.
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    Why not?
    Didn't really play TS3 so I dn't know this system. But it sounds interesting. I welcome everything new for TS4! :)
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Got pretty repetitive and boring for me. Was nice after a few go around then 'meh.' I liked it but at the same time not so much. Wouldnt mind an improvement over it for there to be different outcomes.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Sounds interesting. I suppose it would be nice to have as an optional thing.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    I chose yes, but I wouldn’t necessarily say that I missed it. Mostly because I actually don’t remember this feature at all. But it sounds intriguing, and I think it would be a good way to get the worlds more active with Sims actually doing more than just walking back and forth.

I could see it possibly getting repetitive, though. Maybe if they added more things to do, then perhaps it would be a good idea.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    I do not want more pop ups, but I like the idea of limited time opportunities. Maybe a message board that we can place on venues. When a sim looks at it between 0 and 5 opportunities tailored to that sim get generated similar to the acting and freelancing gigs.

And please only the opportunities in themselves, no stories around them! I remember the game telling my writers that their books were outlawed in China. More often thatn not that didn't fit at all, because Sims 3 has no way to tell what my sims wrote and what my China is like.
  • Options
    KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    No thanks. One of the many things about 3 I didn't like. It made it feel like an RPG game.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    The opportunities are one of my favorite features/challenges in TS3.
  • Options
    lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    I definitely love this idea. Never played TS3 but it seems there was more funcitonality in it than TS4 that us new simmers are missing out on. I definitely agree with @AriaMad2 that it needs to be optional and @EnkiSchmidt that I don't want any more pop ups. But I suppose if it came in the form of one of the little notes on the side I wouldn't mind
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    If it gives me something to do than just watch my sims be utter buffoons then yeah
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    the more things to do the better
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    I always turn it off when I play TS3.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    SomebodySomeplaceSomebodySomeplace Posts: 62 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Got pretty repetitive and boring for me. Was nice after a few go around then 'meh.' I liked it but at the same time not so much. Wouldnt mind an improvement over it for there to be different outcomes.

I agree with this. I think this time around (if it's added) they should cycle in, replace, or add a new twist to some opportunities at least once a year, in an update. And of course, there should be some opportunities related to the packs you have.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I never really liked it in sim 3. It kind of like forcing sims into mini stories instead of telling my own stories. I think sims 4 already has enough elements with directed gameplay, I don't need them.

If they were to be added, it should be completely optional.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    Yes, I think it would be a nice touch. Opportunities were among the few things in The Sims 3 that I thought were interesting additions to the series.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2019
    Yes! I miss it!
    I loved when sims were given the opportunity to advance their career performance by reading a book related to their work or by by doing extra hours and so, it made the game feel more dynamic and that's why I would not oppose to the feature.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    I think this would be cool, but as long as it’s optional because there’s going to be people that wouldn’t like it.

That's no different then in TS3.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Yes, I love Opportunities in the Sims 3 but I don't miss it since I still play that game. ;)
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    You voted for wanting it done differently but S3 does have the option to turn off Opportunity pop ups. It's called "Suppress Opportunities" under Game Options. But I agree... I hope if this is ever a feature added to S4 that yes, we would continue to have this option.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    Because of Sims 4's neighborhood structure, I don't think opportunities would be a good match -- at least, not if they were incorporated the way they were in Sims 3, with the map being used to find and fulfill the opportunity once requirements were fulfilled. Now, if they were added in such a way that I didn't have to hunt for the physical location in the Sim worlds, that might work.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Yes! I miss it!
    absolutely ;)
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon