Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited April 2019
    Beautiful story, @Sylentwhysper!

@lisabee2, I admit I'm starting to wonder if I put myself in the right category. My blog's been around for a longer than a year, but it started as a general fanfic blog. I didn't start writing SimFic until this past October. I chose Veteran largely due to my writing experience. I've had a few professional publications--one of them for flash fiction--so I figured it made sense. But I'm also becoming more aware of just how new I am to incorporating screenshots. :s

Edited to add: I'm not suggesting I should switch categories, only acknowledging that it was a tough choice, and I sympathize with writers who are trying to make that same choice.
    Post edited by katrinasforest on
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    edited April 2019
    Beautiful story, @Sylentwhysper!

@lisabee2, I admit I'm starting to wonder if I put myself in the right category. My blog's been around for a longer than a year, but it started as a general fanfic blog. I didn't start writing SimFic until this past October. I chose Veteran largely due to my writing experience. I've had a few professional publications--one of them for flash fiction--so I figured it made sense. But I'm also becoming more aware of just how new I am to incorporating screenshots. :s

Edited to add: I'm not suggesting I should switch categories, only acknowledging that it was a tough choice, and I sympathize with writers who are trying to make that same choice.

I think you did fine ... you know your writing capability <3 I would be worried more about being too easy on myself. Our readers are smart and savvy. It is difficult to celebrate the teen with the most eggs who did his hunt in the toddler section. This is is a challenge and in order to grow, we have to push outside of our boundaries.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @lisabee2 That is very true, and I appreciate the encouragement.

I am always second-guessing myself, and had I gone with Novice instead, I'd still be worrying I picked the wrong one. Probably moreso. It's a thing I do. ^_^

The biggest thing I'm learning is how much work goes into a good screenshot. I can't just focus on my writing and throw random pics into it hoping it all works together. When it's used right, a good screenshot can convey every bit as much as a brilliantly written paragraph.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    @lisabee2 That is very true, and I appreciate the encouragement.

I am always second-guessing myself, and had I gone with Novice instead, I'd still be worrying I picked the wrong one. Probably moreso. It's a thing I do. ^_^

The biggest thing I'm learning is how much work goes into a good screenshot. I can't just focus on my writing and throw random pics into it hoping it all works together. When it's used right, a good screenshot can convey every bit as much as a brilliantly written paragraph.

You are quite correct. The writing is the meat and potatoes of the meal but the screenshots are much more than a strange bit of parsley flopped on the plate. Screenies are a well-chosen side that compliments the main course and in good combination can help make the meal quite memorable.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    SylentwhysperSylentwhysper Posts: 65 Member
    @katrinasforest Thanks for reading!
    WardHarthBanner1_zpspyw6omfp.png
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    edited April 2019
    Finally sat down and finished my pictures. I normally take pictures first and build the story around them. I may stage a few for certain purposes but it's so much easier the other way, lol. I hope I set up the blog post correctly.

My entry: The Fools
    Post edited by Pallystyle on
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    @Sylentwhysper My pleasure!

@Pallystyle The link didn't work for me--was it copied from your admin panel, by any chance? When I went to your blog and clicked on your entry from there, this is the link I got: https://pallysscribbles.wordpress.com/2019/04/24/the-fools-a-sims-4-poem/
  • Options
    @Sylentwhysper My pleasure!

@Pallystyle The link didn't work for me--was it copied from your admin panel, by any chance? When I went to your blog and clicked on your entry from there, this is the link I got: https://pallysscribbles.wordpress.com/2019/04/24/the-fools-a-sims-4-poem/

Oh okay, thanks I'll change it. I hate posting links on this forum. I always mess up.

• Options
    ZachsimsZachsims Posts: 80 Member
    Been reading the entries so far and they're great.

So here's mine: https://zachsimswrites.home.blog/2019/04/24/the-chase/
  • Options
    SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    edited April 2019
    @Zachsims - oh that was a good one! Had me going, too! Wonderful!

@Pallystyle - I love the use of the poem in your story. Great job!
    Post edited by SoulGal7 on
  • Options
    @Pallystyle .. I loved it .. sooooo much! and the filter you used on your screenshots is FAB!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    @Zachsims ... excellent job LOL ... had me wondering
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    @Zachsims ... excellent job LOL ... had me wondering

Thanks. Glad you didn’t figure it out. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    SoulGal7 wrote: »

Lol :D Really glad you weren’t tipped off early. When reading back, I thought it might be too obvious.
    Post edited by Zachsims on
  • Options
    Thank you, @lisabee2 and @SoulGal7 !

I will get caught up on reading others entries this weekend. Hopefully we will get a flood of them and I can have a nice morning with "foolish" stories and a cup of coffee. ;)

• Options
    breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 44 Member
    Zachsims wrote: »
    SoulGal7 wrote: »

Lol :D Really glad you weren’t tipped off early. When reading back, I thought it might be too obvious.

There have been a few stories this round that have been good at building high-stakes dramatic tension until the end. It's a fun device to play with and great for readers.
    My newest chapter-based simlit: Cutback.”
  • Options
    It sure is going to be hard to pick .. I am glad I get to pick3 in each category
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 44 Member
    Are those ranked choices or just a top 3 overall?
    My newest chapter-based simlit: Cutback.”
  • Options
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    It sure is going to be hard to pick .. I am glad I get to pick3 in each category

We get to chose 3? I guess I should read closer. Happy about it though. There’s a plum ton of great stories here. Been impressed by all of them
  • Options
    sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    Hi everyone!

Just popping in to say "Hi," and check in quickly. I started reading stories last night and will continue later on this evening as I curl up in bed with my IPad. :grin: In the meantime, I'm working on my submission, which I'm looking to put up this weekend. Not much time left, I know, but I'm getting on it.

I hope everyone is doing well.
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    I'm hoping to read through all the entries this weekend myself. :) Been crazy busy.
  • Options
    sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    Shadami wrote: »
    I'm hoping to read through all the entries this weekend myself. :) Been crazy busy.

I can totally relate! Thankfully though, I've had a bit of breathing room and have been using the time to do some reading and work on getting my stories transferred to Wordpress. I've still got a ways to go, but I'm getting there.
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
  • Options
    The vote will not close until the 7th of May <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    MinraedMinraed Posts: 1,159 Member
    I was using the list on the first page to make sure I read all of the entries, but didn't see Pally's there (I did read it a few days ago via facebook) and just noticed Zach's here in the posts too. I hope I am not missing more. This is not meant to come across rudely, I hope it doesn't.
    [img][/img] Visit Simaginarium
  • Options
    Minraed wrote: »
    I was using the list on the first page to make sure I read all of the entries, but didn't see Pally's there (I did read it a few days ago via facebook) and just noticed Zach's here in the posts too. I hope I am not missing more. This is not meant to come across rudely, I hope it doesn't.

Thanks for mentioning this. I noticed a few were left out on the front page.