Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any other long time players just now learning to enjoy Sims 4?

Played Sims since 1, own everything for 2&3. 4 came out and I played the free trial. Hated it. Ignored it for a year until Get to Work came out, bought the base and that and tried again. Hated it. Ignored it again.
A few months ago, I realized that I had to eventually quit putting off my OS update that would make Sims 3 unplayable, and it was probably only a matter of time before I lost Sims 2. So I played Sims 2 exclusively for months, thinking a transition from 2 to 4 would be easier, then last week I tried Sims 4 again.
Everything aggravated me. But, I figured if I kept at it, I would adjust. After a few days, I adjusted to the changes and started getting into gameplay enough that I decided to spend more on it. I figured surely by now enough has come out to make the game enjoyable, and picked up an EP/SP/GP bundle. I still don't love everything, but I am enjoying it. Finally.

It only took nearly 5 years...
Gallery ID: LadyGray01

Comments

• Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    I hear you. I bought 4 a bit after it came out. I was apprehensive due to everything that was going on with the game. Despite that I was a lil eager to see it for myself. I installed it, loaded it, created a sim and when I was taken to the neighborhood view to choose a lot I was so mortified by the map that I quit out. Never tried to play again for some time afterwards. But eventually I gave it another go and tried to be open to it. I’m glad I did.

It is not my favorite iteration, but it has some really amazing features and I do really enjoy it now.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Like you, I've been playing since The Sims. I have been very vocal about what a huge step backwards the Sims 4 has taken. But I also just couldn't give up on it. I love this series. I want to continue to see it flourish and grow. And it's taken a loooong while, with the addition of toddlers, and all the EPs, GPs, and SPs, I'm truly enjoying the game. I have learnt to accept it for what it is. And enjoy the time that I spend in game. And when I miss a more in depth experience, then I can always hope back into Sims 2 and Sims 3.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I still think it has major flaws, but I'm enjoying it much more now then I did at the beginning. Some of the packs have really added a lot to the game (and some have not).
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    I didn't like sims 4 too when they first released it. I hated it so much and i was sure i would not ever buy that. That was weird since i always bought all pack for every sims game. Always done that.
    I watched couple videos of sims 4 like over 2 years after sims 4 release and i decided to give it a try since it did look better than older sims.
    I did have first hard time to accept clay hair. Back then it look afful and i would just download alpha hairs and use only them on my sims and all townies.
    But i started to really like clay hair ( and it match better whit items and world)
    I started to really love sims 4, i mean i'm honesty same/ even more hyped for new stuff for sims 4 than i were just as a little kid. It's kinda weird haha.
    CAS is amazing, i love all items , building is so fun , familyplay is detailed and so much interactive items.
    And best part is that they are still improving it.
    There are also things i don't like but atleast for now i don't mind them.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I'm still into my first year of playing Sims 4 -- I gave it a try during a $10 sale in June 2018, and....well, now I own all the expansion packs, two game packs, and two stuff packs. EA got their money's worth back! I started playing The Sims on release in 2000, switched to TS2 in 2004, and it was my absolute favorite until... June 2018. I tried Sims 3 and liked it well enough (I acquired most of the expansions used over the years), but man...once I started Sims 4 I was hooked. Yes, I miss having the extensive control over the neighborhood in TS1/TS2, but it loads so fast, the sims are interesting, and the camera controls are a godsend.
  • Options
    GreyWindGreyWind Posts: 489 Member
    Same story! I bought the game when it came out and after a week it got boring so I stopped playing. When Get to Work came out I bought that as well and played for a day or two and after that didn't played the game until Spa game pack came out. Ended up uninstalling the game until this week I decided to give it another go with all the content and having a very good time.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    Hi, I too am a long time player, as is everyone in this post, lol. I have just started playing 4 on a daily basis the past few weeks. I did buy the base game when it came out, and have kept up all new add-ons, knowing that someday I would like it. I think I've reached that someday with the show biz addition. That has me really interested. I was a huge fan of the original Superstar pack and have been enjoying the new release. Not sure where or what I'll do once my sim reaches level 10 of that career, but maybe they will do something that keeps me playing.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    No I don't play, I've tried but it's not the same. I just build to relax.
  • Options
    HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited March 2019
    Sims series get time to get their new personality "shining". I only started liking sims 3 half-way through, same for sims 4.
    Post edited by Hejix on
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    vcosley wrote: »
    No I don't play, I've tried but it's not the same. I just build to relax.

It definitely isn't. If it wasn't for losing my ability to play Sims 3, I'm not entirely sure I would have decided to give it another try. Building is the one area I'm still really disappointed with. I was a prolific builder in Sims 2&3. My husband teased me that I built in Sims 3 more than I played. But I just can't seem to get into building in Sims 4 (yet anyway). They added a lot of great things that I always wanted, but other stuff I regularly used is gone and the controls will take some getting used to. I'm sure I'll get into it eventually, but for now I just redecorate existing houses.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Hejix wrote: »
    Sims series get time to get their new personality "shining". I only started liking sims 3 half-way through, same for sims 4.

To some degree that is true. I fell in love with Sims 2 right away, but it was such a change from 1 that it was exciting just to play. Sims 3 was cool for it's new features, but it did take a couple EP's to really be awesome (for me).
    Sims 4 just somehow fell so short for me, that it took 5 years (5 YEARS!) for me to really get into it. And when I was looking through all the EP's, SP's, and GP's to pick my bundle, only one really struck me as something I wanted (Vampires). It took me awhile to decided what to bundle with that. I do plan to eventually buy them all now, but a little at a time, on sale.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
  • Options
    KolbyKolby Posts: 1,126 Member
    The DLC and content updates over the last 4 years have made the game much more playable for me also. I immediately felt like TS4 was visually more compelling and aesthetically pleasing than TS3. But there were huge differences I had to adapt to. Still missing some key game features that I miss a lot.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    If only we had better personalities & unique sims I would love this game.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    edited March 2019
    I have been playing since 2000 (not literally when it first came out but that same year). I loved it! And I LOVE love loved TS2. Sims 3 was like, a huge pain in the butt, with its charm of course. I was obsessed with it but only because it was the newest Sims game. Loved the Sims Medieval the first few times I played but it felt a little unfulfilling toward the end of the storylines.

The Sims 4? It's my favorite of the entire franchise. It's, in my opinion, the most beautiful game of them all, and feels fresh to me. I love CAS, the intuitiveness of build/buy mode, the personality traits, emotions, I could go on. Are there things I wish were added? Yes! Does my game become buggy at times? Yeah! But these things are so minuscule to me, and not enough to deter me from playing.

But I know everyone's gameplay is different than my own. I'm sorry it took you five years to start enjoying the game! But maybe it will eventually grow on you :)

ETA: I just realized the title of this post includes "just now learning" which I did not notice before! So my post is kind of not relevant since I have enjoyed it from the start! Sorry about that :) Still hope for the best in your Simming!
    Post edited by storyy on
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Long time simmer from the first edition. Love 1. Loved 2 even more. Regret ever purchasing 3. Love 4, but it's got a ways to go to be as good as 2. This new pack is making me play more than any other though! I even played BEFORE work which is unheard of! I just needed to put down a house because I was planning things out.

When 4 came, I was so ready for it after 3. Unfortunately, they went with "moodlets" from 3 which is a detriment to the personalities of the sims themselves. Animations are better in 4, but that doesn't address the lack of character development there was in the sims 2 profile and character build process.

Sims 4 with that??? Amazing.

We can forget the anomaly that was sims 3 ever existed!

• Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I'm still very on the fence. I have been getting into it more recently since I've gotten all the packs but I will only buy them on sale. I refuse to ever pay full price for any Sims 4 game because I just don't feel they're worth the asking prices.

I still have some serious issues with the game just not working properly like the broken time where it will freeze or jump back an hour after slowing time down. The emotions still drive me crazy because they change too quickly to really impact your Sims. One of my biggest issues with The Sims 4 is how the Sims seem to lack any personality whatsoever. In The Sims 3, I felt like the traits I picked mattered because my Sims all felt unique but in The Sims 4 they all have the exact same personality regardless of traits.

I do like a lot of the objects and clothing options but I still can't get over the loss of Create a Style. I feel like a lot of the clothes could have a completely different feel if I could just change the color to what I want. I guess that's another contributing factor to all my Sims looking the same.

Either way, I'm enjoying it more now than I was before but I still miss The Sims 3. I can still play it but it doesn't run the best on my laptop so The Sims 4 is easier to jump in and out of for an hour or so at a time. I used to play The Sims 1-3 for hours upon hours and lose track of time but I just can't do that with The Sims 4.
  • Options
    mordarlarmordarlar Posts: 38 Member
    I'm a long timer and i have always really liked 4. I hated 3 and never could get into and didn't invest past the base game. 4 always felt closer to 2 for me.
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    i liked the sims 4. however i could only get into it for short periods of time basically when a new pack came out because id get bored easy. mostly because before toddler days id get bored of my families in the 2nd or 3rd generation. i wouldnt feel connected to the sims who went from baby to a child cuz there was no time to bond with the sims born in the game. things started to get a bit better over time with dine out and city living being added, but when the toddler update came it felt like a new game. then adding vampires right after that and the packs since then has made the game more and more fun. i still play the sims 2 and 3 at times. but when i do play the sims 4 i feel as connected to those sims as i do with my other sims from other games. so it took awhile for me to get as into it as the other sims games. but now wow its so much better now.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Played Sims since 1, own everything for 2&3. 4 came out and I played the free trial. Hated it. Ignored it for a year until Get to Work came out, bought the base and that and tried again. Hated it. Ignored it again.
    A few months ago, I realized that I had to eventually quit putting off my OS update that would make Sims 3 unplayable, and it was probably only a matter of time before I lost Sims 2. So I played Sims 2 exclusively for months, thinking a transition from 2 to 4 would be easier, then last week I tried Sims 4 again.
    Everything aggravated me. But, I figured if I kept at it, I would adjust. After a few days, I adjusted to the changes and started getting into gameplay enough that I decided to spend more on it. I figured surely by now enough has come out to make the game enjoyable, and picked up an EP/SP/GP bundle. I still don't love everything, but I am enjoying it. Finally.

It only took nearly 5 years...

I understand totally what you are saying I started with the 3 series love it, then went backwards to 2 love this also and then even bought the sims 1 series and stuck that on an old laptop and play that sometimes as well when I am in the mood, I am grateful because I have my desktops built specially for Sims games so I am not forced to play one series over another due to new tech or software updates.

When I first bought Sims 4 I absolutely hated it and I don't think I launched it again after the first time for well over a year but as the packs came out I still bought them because I knew at some stage in the future I would probably change my mind and want to play and up to now my most played are vampires, seasons, pets, (but still not as many gameplay hours compared to other series) and surprisingly get famous and what it took to get to the top of the acting career but then I shut it down again and went back to my other sims series-)

I wasn't very sure what to think when i saw Strangeville coming out but honestly this world with that multicolor fog, spores and tumbleweeds floating around in very atmospheric world weather conditions sold me immediately and while I would have liked less paint and more playable lots/world objects I also enjoy the new military and covert ops career which does make me giggle when they wander in sims houses and confiscate the fridge-) I have decided now having beaten the infection I am going to start the mother off again to get that lovely weather back and use a mod to stop the strange and creepy actions of infected sims (not keen on waking up to one in my own sim family-) so this is defo holding my attention for now so although it's been a very long journey to even get to this point I am finally starting to feel I am gaining some enjoyment out of the 4 series however my love of series 2&3 will never go away either.. :)

• Options
    RhageRhage Posts: 4 New Member
    My take is a little different. I played The Sims 1 & 2, but fell off and didn't play 3 at all due to interest in other genres with my kids. I just picked up TS4 a couple of months ago because it was part of the Origin Access program and I just wanted to see how the game had progressed. Aside from the disconnected worlds, I really love this game despite the flaws that many have pointed out. I probably would not have liked it as much when it first came out--Get to Work was a big addon for me. Seasons is surprisingly rich (just got that one a week ago), and I just grabbed the last two EPs I didn't have today because they went on sale (Get Famous and Cats & Dogs). I'm a little aghast at how much I've spent on content for a game that I don't technically own lol (granted, I can buy the base game for next to nothing when I need to).

Everyone is different--your tastes are your tastes and it matters little, really, what others think. I'm glad you are enjoying it now, as am I--I guess it's never too late, and the community seems to still be very active so late in a game's lifecycle. I read an article the other day saying the devs have the next 3 years of content mapped out, so we still have time to enjoy :-)
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    No. Not for me. I wish that I could, but it just doesn't have that spark for me that the other iterations had in abundance.
  • Options
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    No. Not for me. I wish that I could, but it just doesn't have that spark for me that the other iterations had in abundance.

That's how I felt, no spark. Sometimes certain aspects of play still strike me that way. I play Sims 2 on a Windows partition, so I considered going completely over to be able to play Sims 3. But, I already owned Sims 4 and it runs on my Mac fine, it's newer, so I figured I should really try getting into it first.
    My daughter actually loves 4 (she never played 2 and updated her machine and lost Sims 3 a long time ago). I just ordered 2 more EP's that she asked for her birthday when I saw that they were half off today.
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Well, I recall playing the free trial in 2015 and was not impressed. Didn't hate it, just did not appeal to me due to lack of packs and some features left out. I cannot play ANY sims iteration without packs, they feel empty and boring to me.

Then I bought it with GTW in 2016. Gave it a good 50 hours or so. Didn't hate it but did not love it either. So I kept playing TS3 until 2018 on and off.

On November 2018 I got all EPs and GPs at 35%-75% off. Gave it a fresh start since after almost 7 years of TS3 I finally got bored, nothing more to do or no drive to do anything else again. It grew on me tbh. Some things I hated others I loved. As always with any other iteration, got into modding. I ran like 65 mods on TS3, here I started with 6 and now I'm at 35. I'm enjoying it a lot and further exploring how far I can stretch the game.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The only thing I learned is that the genre is not what I originally loved about it anymore. I played the first The Sims without expansions, mods, or cc from the year it launched until 2015 when I got a computer with Windows 10. I then learned that I was unable to install or even get it to run the disc. I got Sims 4 after researching between it amd Sims 3 in 2015. I hate the fact that Origin is required to even "install" the game as I have no use for the "games as a service" model. The updates that have happened to Sims 4 have made me regret spending money on it. The game IS NOT what I originally purchased.
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    I’m another simmer who started in 2000 with the original Sims game; which had me hooked instantly. The same thing happened with The Sims 2 too. I enjoyed everything it had to offer including the EPs and SPs.

It also started off similarly with The Sims 3; however, unlike previous versions TS3 for me had more glitches/bugs and routing/lag issues than I would’ve liked. So, I had to resort to custom content/mods to fix gameplay. Also, the sims themselves always felt lacking personality and just didn’t have that “spark” that previous sims had.

After The Sims 4 came out, even though it was missing some basic content, I was hooked immediately. The sims had that “spark” and uniqueness that had been missing; along with the silly humor similar to TS2 that seemed missing from TS3. Each patch, EP, GP, and EP has just improved the game and made it my favorite iteration of The Sims yet...

I’m very excited to see where the game goes in the future. :smile: