Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm Drowning, In Laundry!

Don't get me wrong, I love Laundry Day and lobbied heartily for it, but that was when I was only playing 1-2 sims in a household. Now I'm branching out and I have a vampire nest with 3 adults, 1 teen and child twins and the laundry is ridiculous...everyone does laundry. I have 4 hampers and they are always either full or half full all the time. I've thought about putting hampers in bedrooms and baths but then someone would have to zoom all over the house to gather laundry. Anyone with big families, who do laundry, how do you manage? It would be great if sims would gather from all the hampers then put into the washer, but instead, one at a time. :#
In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.

Comments

• Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    You could always hire a maid when the laundry needs to be done, just for that day. In my experience maids will do at least a load of laundry.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    In my legacy save, my sim became friends with Patchy and never had to do laundry again.
    Honestly, Patchy is like a free live-in cleaner, gardener and babysitter. Pretty much essential in a large household.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Lol, totally forgot about the maid, duh. :D

I will try Patchy...forgot about him too. Thanks for the reminders!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    I know having multiple hampers keeps my laundry from being too much of an issue, but you will almost always have to keep cycling loads after several sim days. A tip: when placing hampers you can press and hold the ALT key to ignore the grid. Helps in keeping them from taking up too much space, and as long as the arrow is facing outward the sims can still use it.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Newish player (I played before but ages ago). Who is Patchy and how do we become friends? haha!
  • Options
    MHsimsFanMHsimsFan Posts: 154 Member
    Newish player (I played before but ages ago). Who is Patchy and how do we become friends? haha!

Patchy came with Seasons. He is the scarecrow. You can become friends with him and he will help out around the house and with the garden.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    After the first time, I stopped putting the washers and dryers in houses, too much trouble keeping up with laundry.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    PitlordMaggiePitlordMaggie Posts: 390 Member
    I don't have Laundry Day, is it worth getting it for a family player? On one hand it adds realism to have to do more laundry with kids in the house, but if it turns into a part time job it's not fun. My experience from Sims 3 was everyone would drop their clothing wherever they changed, even guests changing into party clothes, so hamper in foyer :neutral:
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2019
    I feel your pain @Bshag4lv, my last generation of my current game had 4 children plus the 2 adults, and laundry had to be done every single day.

How I handled it was, I had 2 hampers in the house, each in one of the bathrooms. In my game the laundry room is just before the kitchen, so I just had someone each morning bring clothes to the washer after taking a shower when they were on the way to breakfast. With 6 sims in the home, every shower got used, so it was never even having them go out of their way. Just a simple matter of shower, grab laundry, drop it in the washing machine, then go eat breakfast. Whoever brought the 2nd hamper is who I had start the washer (you can put multiple hamper loads into a single load of wash). Then the last one out of the house for work would move it to the dryer and start that.

Basically it was laundry day every day, but doing it that way, it was never more than a minute or two extra time seeing as every trip was one where they would have been going past the washer/dryer anyway. And doing it every day made it so neither hamper ever got "full".

Another option if the above scenario doesn't work for you for some reason, is to install mods that make laundry work how you indicated you want it to...which is gathering all of the hampers before going to the washing machine. LittleMsSam's small laundry fixes does that (and more): https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175411944173/small-laundry-overhaul-a-small-overhaul-for-the I don't use the mods at the moment, but have used it just to see how it works and it does what it says very well. The one you'd want is the one that lets them put the laundry into inventory.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    One hamper here. Then you just have to ask them to put laundry in the washer and they'll pick it up from the floor too (well, when it doesn't get bugged and they forget what they're supposed to do and drop it on the floor...). The washer seems to have infinite capacity though, so it doesn't matter, I don't even bother washing it unless their clothes start to smell (never happened), my Sims just end up doing it autonomously anyway... then only do I have to bother with drying them too.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Just be sure if you’re having someone else you can’t control doing the laundry that you either have a fully upgraded dryer or you stay on top in the lint tray because it will catch fire and I don’t subs will autonomously clean it themselves.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Not that realistic, but you could put all the hampers in the laundry room, at least they wouldn't have to go all over the house to gather the laundry.
  • Options
    roflmaoxsarahroflmaoxsarah Posts: 4,132 Member
    I never knew the scarecrow could do your laundry, that is a surprise to me.
  • Options
    @roflmaoxsarah If there's no gardening to do, he'll do a bunch of other chores, and then settle into an open computer. He is nice to have around.

In general, I've noticed that the more loads you put into the dryer, the more times you have to run the dryer before the clothes are done. So even though the washer can seem to take an infinite amount, the dryer (at least in my experience) works like they do in real life.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    > @MHsimsFan said:
    > SimAlexandria wrote: »
    >
    > Newish player (I played before but ages ago). Who is Patchy and how do we become friends? haha!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Patchy came with Seasons. He is the scarecrow. You can become friends with him and he will help out around the house and with the garden.

Oh thanks!!! I have seasons but never noticed a scarecrow... I'll take a look!
  • Options
    SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    I might just get seasons just for patchy. He sounds like a lifesaver!
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    Honestly sounds like rl. I live in a house of 6ppl. Me, my parents, my older brother, and two baby sisters so the laundry builds up fast. I say give any single sims their own hamper, teens their own, kids and toddlers one for 1-2 of them, and couples share. There is no real logic to this just my preference but I usually end up doing laundry for my sims once a week. A whole day is dedicated to it but hey this games needs more mundane realism :lol:
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    My sims are chin deep in laundry. It reminds me of my Sims 3 game. lol Dirty clothing all over the house and full laundry baskets. It's like real life. lol Since I play in rotation I try to make sure all laundry is done on a lot before I move on to the next family.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Patchy helps with laundry, too, if you have him somewhere in your household. He always comes in handy in my Sims crises!
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited January 2019
    Having two hampers was driving me nuts, so I cut it down to one and put the hamper in the bathroom by the laundry. I will have a sim put it in, do other things, then put it in the dryer, do other things and put it away. Some houses I don’t have laundry. But I’m going to try patchy too in some of my households.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Not that realistic, but you could put all the hampers in the laundry room, at least they wouldn't have to go all over the house to gather the laundry.

@Pegasys, not as unrealistic as you might think. IRL I have two hampers and I keep both of them right next to the washer/dryer in the laundry room. So, imo...your idea is TOTALLY realistic. :)
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    I feel very bad for your sims.... make a live in nanny for the household if there is enough space
    Oh hamburgers!
  • Options
    sennawalessennawales Posts: 192 Member
    It should be easy with vampires. Give them any of the fast movement abilities, and they can handle it easily.
  • Options
    Scarbo27Scarbo27 Posts: 125 Member
    I got bored of Laundry a while ago, I don't use the feature anymore. My sims have enough stuff to take care of, I don't like to do Laundry in real life, I don't want to deal with it in a game either.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Pegasys wrote: »

@Pegasys, not as unrealistic as you might think. IRL I have two hampers and I keep both of them right next to the washer/dryer in the laundry room. So, imo...your idea is TOTALLY realistic. :)

I don't know, having to go the laundry room every time I have dirty clothes seems like a pain to me, lol. I have two in my house, one in my room, one in the bathroom, the kids have to use one of those because I don't want to go all over the house to do laundry either though...