Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question please

Hi everyone.
I've noticed that The Sims 4 is on sale at Origin.
My question is if I download it will Origin want to automatically update Sims 3? I'm using version 1.67 and I've been reluctant to update to 1.69 because I've heard terrible things about it. Is 1.69 so terrible? What's supposed to be so bad about it?
Anyway if I download Sims 4 will Sims 3 be updated to 1.69? Can I avoid that somehow and still get Sims 4?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have not had any trouble with 1.69 at all, personally, on my aging, Windows 7 laptop even.

As far as whether Origin will auto-update TS3, I doubt it, unless you open the game (which is when it checks which version you are running).
  • Options
    spankenstein89spankenstein89 Posts: 103 Member
    Okay thank-you
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2019
    There have been reports of Origin attempting to update TS3 to 1.69 while patching a different game (such as TS4) when the player specifically instructed Origin to not do that. If you watch while the patching happens, you can cancel that process before it gets very far and no changes happen. This isn't intended Origin behavior though and it's been a long while since I've seen such reports.

Patch 1.69 is, for some of us but not everyone, inconvenient, more of a pain to get the game started, and it tends to "forget" which EP/SPs we want in play in between game sessions. But once actually running, there are no differences at all in the game files between 1.67 and 1.69 as the patch only concerns itself with with the required Origin-Launcher tie-in and how the game starts up, not how it actually plays.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I have no idea if this is useful (just followed a suggestion I read a while ago) but I made my Sims 3 game hidden on Origin. I have no idea anymore how but it is an option and allegedly that will prevent the automatic updating from happening (on top of disabling that of course).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    The last time I tried to start Sims 4 on my laptop, which was at least 2 or 3 years ago, Origin started downloading the update for Sims 3, even though I had it set to not allow updates to Sims 3. So I'd definitely watch it carefully when you open Sims 4.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I have not had any trouble with 1.69 at all, personally, on my aging, Windows 7 laptop even.

As far as whether Origin will auto-update TS3, I doubt it, unless you open the game (which is when it checks which version you are running).

It's definitely tried to update TS3, queuing the update up behind whatever it is doing in TS4. I always unchecked it so it would only update TS4. And since I stopped playing 4, no reason to ever go into Origin.

• Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @nickibitsward The time I mentioned, when I was trying to open Sims 4, it started downloading the update for Sims 3 before updating Sims 4.
  • Options
    spankenstein89spankenstein89 Posts: 103 Member
    Thank-you everyone for your comments. I appreciate your help!
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    @nickibitsward The time I mentioned, when I was trying to open Sims 4, it started downloading the update for Sims 3 before updating Sims 4.

I never paid much attention at first thinking it would just update Sims 4 but then I realized it was queuing it up despite the fact I hadn't checked auto updates.