Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help with window placement?

Wasn't sure on if this was meant to go into this section or the creative corner lots section, but that seemed to be more for showcasing builds and so I've popped it here- sorry if it's in the wrong place!!

I have a big problem when it comes to building houses in the sims, and that boils down to: placing windows.
I don't ever know how many to place, how many is too many, where to place them, etc etc etc.

I've tried looking for tutorials and have watched numerous videos etc about it, both sims house designing and architectural tips for real life houses, but I still feel clueless, so I'm turning to the forum!

Do you have any tips or tricks when figuring out where to place windows?
And/or do you know any useful tutorials that can help as well? :smiley:

Many thanks!
ĆØΜ€ ŦØ ŦĦ€ ĆŘΔŦ€Ř - ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĆΔŁŁŞ ¥ØỮ ĦØΜ€

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    When I place windows I will look at both the inside and outside of the wall, and go with what looks good to me. Each house is different when it comes to the layout. One thing I do try to pay attention to is the inside where the upper and lower wall trim is at. I try to keep the window frame off of those. When it comes to placing windows on the front, I try to leave one wall space between the door and window. This leaves space if I want to put something there like a mailbox or light fixture.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I might start adding windows from the outside, before I create rooms inside. If needed, I will make adjustments to make windows fit a decent room plan. Making the room plan once the windows are already up makes for solutions I wouldn't have seen otherwise. If I start with the room plan the windows will easily follow the rooms and result in a less inspiring architectural design from the outside. Then it might be harder to make adjustments, too.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    MuggyQuasarMuggyQuasar Posts: 169 Member
    This is definitely something I learned over a long period of time tbh. Experimentation is your friend - just remember to check both the external and internal views! I know if I went back to my Sims 2 and Sims 3 builds I would cringe big time at the window placements. Eventually you get an instinct for it. Experiment experiment experiment!
    lgYUYx0.jpg