Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Silly Question # 3 & 4 - [Custom Sliders][Mods]

Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
I have custom sliders (250 of them). :D

I've separated my CC content into multiple folders: one for each game, Do I have to keep the custom sliders in every single game that I play so that I don't bork my sims who have been tweaked with custom sliders?

and

How far down (in the folder hierarchy) will mods that affect gameplay read (like kap_children_can_get_mail; or NoCameraFadeonSims)? - Will they still read if I put them in a "folder of their own" instead of just arraying them in packages in no particular order after my cc folders?

To explain further:

My core and other mods used to be shoved in willy-nilly into my packages folder like this:
FolderHierarchy1.jpg

Now I've organized them into a folder like this:
FolderHierarchy2.jpg
...the main game folder which I pull in or out depending on what game I'm playing.

FolderHierarchy3.jpg
My core mods are in a subfolder called "Main Mods"

I'm leery of sticking core mods down this far in the folder hierarchy because it may cause the game to not read those core mods.
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I thought this would go in the mods folder, the mods folder would deal with not just one game save, but all of them. I'm bookmarking this to see what people say.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I have my CC subfoldered, but I don't go too deep.

cK1Zmaz.jpg

I have folders inside those folders, but I don't subfolder the folders in those folders.
    If you can understand that
    LOL :D
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I believe the game will read mods up to four levels down, but I don't remember if Packages counts as the first level or not.

If you have a bunch of different sets of cc for different saves, you might want to just create separate game folders to go with them. That way, you don't have to keep track of which sliders or other cc files belong in which save, or worry about a townie sim being "exposed" to some cc without your knowledge and then getting borked when you later remove that file. (Normally, the game just replaces a cc item, but I'm not familiar enough with sliders specifically to say how removing them would affect a sim that already had them in place.) Separate folders would also make it easier to navigate CAS and Build/Buy, since you'd have far fewer items to sort through.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Started up the game with the folders as pictured in the third picture. At least "nointro" is working so it's reading that folder.
    I believe the game will read mods up to four levels down, but I don't remember if Packages counts as the first level or not.
    ...yeah...I think I'm going to make sure that that is the farthest I go down in the hierarchy. :D

Game in the process of loading and we'll see if that game reads the mods...as well as the cc.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Oh...well, all my store stuff in-game went poof. Gotta go download and install those again.

Happy Happy Joy Joy...
    https://youtu.be/OZpgnYhzdkI
    Yay... Aw ~insert particularly pungent oath~.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    edited November 2018
    This is the configuration I use for my resource.cfg in the Mods folder
    This is set up to go five four layers deep.
    The Priority set up is something I did around 2010 when I actually had enough mods to categorize.
    Camera mods are in the Overrides folder
    The majority of my mods such as Shimrods tuning and fixes mods, custom patterns, custom world additions, etc are in Packages folder.

I use Delphy's Dashboard regularly and rarely have a misbehaving game.
    The only folder I have going four layers deep are Author/category folders where I have custom patterns.

Priority 1000
    PackedFile Overrides/*.package
    PackedFile Overrides/*/*.package
    PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*/*.package
    PRIORITY 800
    PackedFile Awes/*.package
    PackedFile Awes/*/*.package
    PackedFile Awes/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Awes/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Awes/*/*/*/*/*.package
    PRIORITY 700
    PackedFile NRAAS/*.package
    PackedFile NRAAS/*/*.package
    PackedFile NRAAS/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile NRAAS/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile NRAAS/*/*/*/*/*.package
    Priority 501
    DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
    Priority 500
    PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc
    Priority 500
    PackedFile Packages/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
    Priority 499
    PackedFile Test/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*/*.package
    Priority -50
    PackedFile Probation/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package

Yikes, sorry ref your store files, @Nikkei_Simmer. I always have my masterfile of store stuff installed on a backup, but recently I've added more user stuff I really never want to lose, so it's gotta be redone again. Lots of work ahead again. yep
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @SemaviLady - OK..thank you. I'll put the camera mods in the Overrides. :) Got all my store stuff downloaded and stored again. :) I'm gonna have to download them again just so that I can put them in a store folder (in my backup) directly from my Downloads folder in game though.

~sigh~ what we have to do in order to keep our game running smoothly.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Not sure of the question numbering system here, but anyway...

3 - If you remove custom sliders and load a game where sims had them in use, they should still appear the same in regular play mode as if the sliders were still there. But if you bring these sims into any form of CAS, the slider info will be undefined and things related to that slider will snap back to 0 and stay there.

4 - The Resource.cfg file can be edited to allow for deeper subfolder nesting than 4 or 5 levels if desired, but doing so tends to have a negative impact on the time it takes the game to startup.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @igazor By "any" form of GAS, do you mean "stylist", too? I haven't noticed any changes after taking slider sims in for a superficial makeover.
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    jillbg wrote: »
    @igazor By "any" form of GAS, do you mean "stylist", too? I haven't noticed any changes after taking slider sims in for a superficial makeover.
    Guess I was being kind of vague there, but I really meant full versions of CAS (testingcheats or the MC Edit in CAS kind) that expose slider values to editing even if the player has no intention of really editing them. Stylist and the other subsets like Change Appearance and Plan Outfit wouldn't try to do that, so they are probably immune even if the sliders in question are missing on loadup.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net