Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

graphics cards with the no fluff issue?

I know back along there was a list of all the graphics cards that had the no fluff issue.
I was looking for it but it seems to have disappeared.
thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Not familiar with such a list myself, but generally it's the strength of the card and its throughput that dictate whether pet fur will render well. On today's Nividia series, that would usually require a GTX 1050/1050Ti or higher (then there's the AMD equivalents). On what are now the older series cards, 950 (or 960M for laptops), 860M, 750 or 760M for laptops, etc. Integrated video chips would tend to not work well with Pets, if they work at all.

Is there a card in particular you have in mind, they all have different specs.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    silver_songbirdsilver_songbird Posts: 305 Member
    I've figured it out now, but I'm still no further forward :(

my problem is that I my graphics card, Nvidia GeForce GT 750M, is further ahead than the sims 3, so my graphics card isn't recognised. in device config I have "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M [Found: 0, Matched: 1]"

I'm a filthy mac user and every video tutorial is for windows I've found. so I'm trying to allow written ones but I'm still stuck.

I tried adding in my graphics card from the sims wiki tutorial, but I'm not very technical and I have poor eyesight, so its difficult for me. it didn't work out and obviously I messed up as my graphics were stuck on low, I got told that it could not find my hardware or graphics card and the entire world was.. white should we say. I deleted the new files that were edited. so I'm back to the old files.

I then found a different tutorial http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26753.0

so I tried installing the zip file attached which does have my graphics card listed. but even so after booting the sims 3 the device config still says found: 0, matched: 1 so that didn't work.

so now I'm going to try and manually edit I guess.. we'll see how that gets on.

I'm too blind for this!! lol
  • Options
    If you send me the first 40 lines of your DeviceConfig by PM (you can stop when it gets to the long lists of game options), I can provide you with simple instructions on how to get the card formally recognized and, probably more helpful if it's happening, stop the 32 MB texture memory override. This doesn't always help, but when done correctly it shouldn't cause any harm either.

The Mac version of the game often enough presents its own issues and limitations. How filthy you (and I) may be I'm afraid is not entirely relevant. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    :D I didn't quite mean it as a bad thing, its just I find it funny to call myself that is all.

thank you for your offer but after much frustration & yelling, I got it sorted. my mac has a "special" card for being a mac so it didn't seem to play ball until I added Mac Edition at the end in the code.

but yea sadly the mac version of the sims 3 is something else :/ a lot of games on mac are a bit wonky at the best of times.

sadly however either way I guess my card just isn't strong enough as I have the no fluff issue, so it was all a bit useless I suppose. I've had fluff before and hate playing without it. so everything I went through was all for null and void I suppose. its not a brilliant card, Nvidia GT 750M, but it came in this Mac. I got it second hand for cheap mostly for graphic design, so its not the end of the world. but I guess I'll be sticking to the sims 4
  • Options
    Before you walk away entirely, if it's not too late, does your current DeviceConfig.log show the 32 MB texture memory override? If so, then the sgr edit procedure was not complete. Your card is not so weak that it would need the override.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    sadly the texture isn't 32MB as I checked :( so I don't think its that, but thank you.

the info on my device config stands as:
    === Graphics device info ===
    Number: 0
    Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    Name (database): GeForce GT 750M Mac Edition [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 0fe9, Board: 00000000, Chipset: 0000
    Driver: display, Version: 0.10.0.11360, GUID: 40C1B248-9D7D-4A29-D7B7-4CD8109F3D5D
    Driver version: 11360
    Monitor: DISPLAY
    Texture memory: 2047MB
    Vertex program: 3.0
    Pixel program: 3.0
    Hardware TnL: 1

I don't know if that looks "right" to you - any input would be appreciated but I think that its is correct? the board & chipset being 0's confuses me but that might be normal. I'm not too tech advanced when it comes to this :D

as suggested by a member in a discord server.. I am currently going through and clearing all my cache (except the world cache's as for mac this seems to cause issues). I'm not sure if this will help, I doubt it, but I'm willing to try.

the initial no fluff issue was fixed after pets, but if you have it now it seems that your graphics card can not handle it. but I don't really understand specs when it comes to laptops, I rely on my BF for that lol. my laptop is strong in all other areas, just the NVidia card is a bit "weak" compared to the rest of it. but it can't be upgraded (thanks apple lol). but I brought it for 600€ after my laptop suddenly dying on me, so I can't complain for the price.

so I think I'm sadly just gotta live with it :(

all my options are on high, advanced rendering on and the game runs fine, just..the fluff isn't there. my pets look fat :#
  • Options
    No, the log looks right. There may be something you can do with anti-aliasing and other such settings on the Nvidia card's control panel that might help, but it could also be that your hardware has aged and is just not going perform as well as it used to or otherwise should.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    everybody keeps talking about the Nvidia Control panel but there is sadly no such thing for mac.. GeForce experience & so fourth are all .exe applications, which can only be run for windows. my boyfriend has a Nvidia card and has the control panel and it looks great and has helped fixed some of his games but no such thing for Mac sadly :(

I do have bootcamp but it has so little space on it and I don't want to redownload it as I had so many issues that actually involved me getting apple involved with all sorts of malarky. no idea what the issue was but we fixed it and I managed to get it done with 200GB (so 140GB for games roughly), but that sadly doesn't go too far. I don't think theres enough room for the sims, and its a bit of a pain to swap over and when swapping back, "boot in OS X" doesn't work as its..bugged. so I have to wait 5-10 minutes to boot back into OS X.

any updates also are separate from the Nvidia site..if there is an update its downloaded via the app store in an apple update, and as theres nothing to be downloaded I am up to date.

so its just either it doesn't like my graphics card or its just more buggy because of the sims not being too great on Mac :/

sims 3 is the only game I have issues with, so I think this is some sort of fault with the sims 3. before me this Mac was used for internet browsing a few times a day, so while its second hand its barely been used so its more brand new.

but yes the hardware just might not be as up to scratch which is a possibility.

its just frustrating as I was looking forward to some sims 3 but if I don't have my fluff I don't really enjoy the game :(

I do appreciate your help however, so thank you :)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    The only other thing I have to offer is an apology for even mentioning the Nvidia control panel. Yes, of course I know that the Windows executable would not be usable on the Mac OS. But my simming Mac has an AMD card and at least we get some rudimentary controls for it -- CCC (Catylist Control Center) in the case of mine. So I assumed Nvidia provides something similar for the Mac OS, sorry that seems to not be the case.

In my case though, I gave up on TS3 for Mac in disgust years ago and get a much more acceptable TS3 experience on the Bootcamp side.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!