Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons: I'm still torn

PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
I'm still torn between getting seasons or not.. I know there are so many new features that you can alter in settings and spending time getting it to how you like it in your style of gameplay.. (the holidays, weather alterations) but I'm still so torn about purchasing it. I love watching the weather and holidays in LP's but with the holidays.. do you find them coming around really fast, less of a gap between one holiday and the next? (I know you can choose how long a season lasts and stuff).

Just wanted to get peoples vibes that have played with it in game for a while as it's been out for a bit of time now..

Thanks ^^
tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman

Comments

• Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I set my seasons to 28 days and the lifespan to long... I pretty much enjoy the season transition... slowly... :D I personally believe that Seasons enhance your gameplay a lot.. :) You can always delete the events/holidays if you want.. and add it according to your needs...
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2018
    When my sims are busy with work, kids, after school activities, school, their love lives, temporary jobs, etc... I have noticed that I do sometimes end up skipping the holiday traditions entirely just because there isn’t enough time in the day.

It seems like the only times I actually celebrate them is when my Sims have the day from school and work off.

Sometimes it feels like I haven’t had a holiday in a while and other times it feels like I have back to back holidays and no one can catch a break. I guess it has something to do with how I’ve spaced out holidays on the calendar.

I dislike that cancelling a holiday gives your sims a sad moodlet.

I dislike that if you don’t participate in the holiday traditions and don’t cancel it entirely, it gives your sims a sad moodlet.
  • Options
    xamira99 wrote: »
    I set my seasons to 28 days and the lifespan to long... I pretty much enjoy the season transition... slowly... :D I personally believe that Seasons enhance your gameplay a lot.. :) You can always delete the events/holidays if you want.. and add it according to your needs...

Yeah, I've seen it when other people play but at the same time I've been nervous to bite the bullet.. I fell in love with it the moment it got released and then waited because of life and stuff happening at the time. Have you found any hindrances when it comes to gameplay? Or it pretty much is a great enhancement all round?

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    When my sims are busy with work, kids, after school activities, school, their love lives, temporary jobs, etc... I have noticed that I do sometimes end up skipping the holiday traditions entirely just because there isn’t enough time in the day.

It seems like the only times I actually celebrate them is when my Sims have the day from school and work off.

I dislike that if you don’t participate in the holiday traditions and don’t cancel it entirely, it gives your sims a sad moodlet.

Thank you for that, that's the one thing I was questioning the most.. because sometimes there's not enough time in the day to do basic things, like actually attempt to keep things in check.. that your sims all eat, sleep, shower and yano, maybe do their homework, work on aspirations and try and earn that promotion at work. What are some of your favourite things about the pack? (personally?)

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I would homestly wait untill they fix the huge amount of bugs before buying it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Is it really still buggy after all the time it's been out?

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options

Yeah, I've seen it when other people play but at the same time I've been nervous to bite the bullet.. I fell in love with it the moment it got released and then waited because of life and stuff happening at the time. Have you found any hindrances when it comes to gameplay? Or it pretty much is a great enhancement all round?

Not so much as I play with a small family... but sometimes, there's glitches, like the snow just vanished, say after my Sim returned from work at the hospital.. but I fixed it by repairing my game.. other than that... not so much.. and I'm playing with Mac, and disabled the laptop mode... and playing it at a medium setting... But as @Sigzy05 said, if you are unsure.. perhaps.. you can wait for the bugs fixed... But, it is one of the best expansions! Since there's a promotion for the time being... it will be great to get it now.. than later... but, you can always do bundle anyway... :)
  • Options

Not so much as I play with a small family... but sometimes, there's glitches, like the snow just vanished, say after my Sim returned from work at the hospital.. but I fixed it by repairing my game.. other than that... not so much.. and I'm playing with Mac, and disabled the laptop mode... and playing it at a medium setting... But as @Sigzy05 said, if you are unsure.. perhaps.. you can wait for the bugs fixed... But, it is one of the best expansions! Since there's a promotion for the time being... it will be great to get it now.. than later... but, you can always do bundle anyway... :)

I play with a mac as well! That's why I thought I would ask around because of it being on promotion right now.. and with it being out for a little while now more people will have messed about with it and interacted with the platform.. just wanted a better idea of what to expect, if that makes sense?

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2018

They haven’t fixed any of the bugs yet. Remember there was no patch in September and there’s not going to be one untill November.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

They haven’t fixed any of the bugs yet. Remember there was no patch in September and there’s not going to be one untill November.

I might wait till after the patch then..

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2018
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Thank you for that, that's the one thing I was questioning the most.. because sometimes there's not enough time in the day to do basic things, like actually attempt to keep things in check.. that your sims all eat, sleep, shower and yano, maybe do their homework, work on aspirations and try and earn that promotion at work. What are some of your favourite things about the pack? (personally?)

I like having the calendar because it helps you keep better track of time. I like the snow. I like the furniture that came with the pack. The toddler outfit with the galoshes is cute. I like that roofs matter now!

Since I’ve modded my game to high heaven, I find the pack quite enjoyable. I would put the bugs in this pack on par with the bugs we have from the City Living pack: annoying but if you use mods, it’s manageable.

Idk how I’m going to feel next month when I have to wait for all of the modders to update their mods after the patch.
  • Options

I play with a mac as well! That's why I thought I would ask around because of it being on promotion right now.. and with it being out for a little while now more people will have messed about with it and interacted with the platform.. just wanted a better idea of what to expect, if that makes sense?

There're a few bugs and we need it to be fixed.. like smelly leaves (not only on your Lot, but, it's everywhere)..teleportation...I think this is common... and all other bugs that most players experienced... but, so far, it is not affecting my game play to the worst.. Just that, it bugs me from time to time... :D
  • Options
    Thank you @xamira99 and @Chazzzy for what you've put in this thread.. I feel like it's definitely something I'm still really interested but it's more of a matter when.. maybe after the patch that's coming?!

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    Yeah! You're welcome... and not to forget, there'll be a new pack coming soon! :)
  • Options
    Yeah! You're welcome... and not to forget, there'll be a new pack coming soon! :)

With Christmas around the corner ;)

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    It's easy to customise the holidays - if you don't want your Sims to lose a day of work (because they're after a promotion, for example), you can make it a work day (and then change it back, later, if you want). You can add and remove traditions if they are too difficult or not suited to your gameplay. (Father Winter was rude to my kid, so he got the sack.)

You can delete a regular holiday altogether, but if you do, it won't come back. (I got rid of Love Day right off, and have never missed it.) However, if you do delete a holiday and want to bring it back, you can simply create a new one with the features of the deleted holiday and it will recur each 'year'. You can also delete upcoming 'random' holidays, but they do come back - I've had to delete the 'neighbourhood brawl' multiple times. Just check the calendar every couple of days to see if a random holiday is coming up - that way, you can delete it before it occurs, and you won't have the 'sad' moodlet for a cancelled holiday.

I was kind of 'meh' about the holidays when the pack was first teased - I don't want the game making goals for my Sims, especially if they take up time that I would rather spend working on my own goals for my Sims. However, once I edited out the stuff I didn't like and added some replacement traditions, I was quite happy with the result.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    It's easy to customise the holidays - if you don't want your Sims to lose a day of work (because they're after a promotion, for example), you can make it a work day (and then change it back, later, if you want). You can add and remove traditions if they are too difficult or not suited to your gameplay. (Father Winter was rude to my kid, so he got the sack.)

You can delete a regular holiday altogether, but if you do, it won't come back. (I got rid of Love Day right off, and have never missed it.) However, if you do delete a holiday and want to bring it back, you can simply create a new one with the features of the deleted holiday and it will recur each 'year'. You can also delete upcoming 'random' holidays, but they do come back - I've had to delete the 'neighbourhood brawl' multiple times. Just check the calendar every couple of days to see if a random holiday is coming up - that way, you can delete it before it occurs, and you won't have the 'sad' moodlet for a cancelled holiday.

I was kind of 'meh' about the holidays when the pack was first teased - I don't want the game making goals for my Sims, especially if they take up time that I would rather spend working on my own goals for my Sims. However, once I edited out the stuff I didn't like and added some replacement traditions, I was quite happy with the result.

I was slightly worried about all the holidays, I know the frequency can depend on how long your seasons are and stuff (correct me if I'm completely wrong) but with the people I watch playing the sims on YouTube, it seemed like 1 day it would be "Christmas" and then a few days later it was new years - which is what I didn't want..
    I wanted the time in between like you have in "every day" life. I have a family play that makes me really want seasons (both parents are stay at home parents - doing hobbies to pass the time.. writing and such) kids can enjoy the holidays and the weather and playing outside and all that fun stuff that comes with the pack.. the older kids have jobs and when they move out I don't change anything but sometimes rotationally play the other households... so I feel I would get a lot out of it and like I see other players.. just a couple things holding me back

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Try not thinking about it for a while; maybe a few weeks, then look at it a-fresh. By then you might have reached a decision without realising it.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Try not thinking about it for a while; maybe a few weeks, then look at it a-fresh. By then you might have reached a decision without realising it.

Wise words my friend... like flipping a coin, the side the coin lands on doesn't matter.. it's how you feel about the result that shows you how you truly feel..

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »

Wise words my friend... like flipping a coin, the side the coin lands on doesn't matter.. it's how you feel about the result that shows you how you truly feel..

Intuition; it often grows when we're not giving it our full attention, and thank you :)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    UnicornposseUnicornposse Posts: 4 New Member
    Ive had seasons for only a few days now and have noticed no glitches. The only thing i noticed is now my entire computers sound starts skipping randomly which makes me have to reset it :( even when i'm not in game. I still love seasons but not as much as the sims 3.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I love Seasons. It really has enhanced my gameplay. Traditions really add more to my legacy families....getting everyone together for Winterfest.
    I also love creating my own holidays. It also seems like time goes by faster or something....I love scheduling things on the calendar for my super busy households....helps me remember birthdays, etc. & scheduling events in advance...especially if I'm preparing that perfect wedding and want to ensure it isn't raining on that day. Gardening, which is an easy money maker, really isn't as easy as it was before as certain plants grow in different seasons....so unless you shelter your plants, not everything will grow in every season. & I also like how certain weather affects areas. Like I made the mistake of taking my Sims to Granite Falls during Winter time....and the lakes were all frozen over. So they couldn't fish.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Seasons has a few bugs but most of the bugs in the game currently are from the seasons patch not the game itself. Very few bugs are actually in the EP itself. So I wouldn’t let bugs stop you from getting the game. I only have two that I can think of from the actual seasons EP and neither one of them ruin the seasons experience.

Anyway on to the game itself. Whether you buy it or not is up to you. I personally love having seasons in my game and the holidays are a nice addition to my play style. Most of the traditions can be quickly completed if you are worried about time and not wanting to go full out each sim year. Also it’s not a big deal if you don’t complete them all. They only have a bad holiday if none are completed. I can’t comment if they come around too fast as I’ve only played through one year in one of my saves. I take my time and have been playing in a few different saves as well starting on the same season. I am just now experiencing winter fest for the first time, but I didn’t buy the game at launch. Even in different saves the holidays are not boring me yet. I wasn’t a huge fan of holidays in past sims games either. But I like these a lot and I like that if I don’t want them one year I can delete them from the calendar with no issues. However like someone else said it won’t hurt to think about it for a few weeks if you are really unsure. The game isn’t going anywhere.
  • Options
    Akl500P wrote: »
    Seasons has a few bugs but most of the bugs in the game currently are from the seasons patch not the game itself. Very few bugs are actually in the EP itself. So I wouldn’t let bugs stop you from getting the game. I only have two that I can think of from the actual seasons EP and neither one of them ruin the seasons experience.

Anyway on to the game itself. Whether you buy it or not is up to you. I personally love having seasons in my game and the holidays are a nice addition to my play style. Most of the traditions can be quickly completed if you are worried about time and not wanting to go full out each sim year. Also it’s not a big deal if you don’t complete them all. They only have a bad holiday if none are completed. I can’t comment if they come around too fast as I’ve only played through one year in one of my saves. I take my time and have been playing in a few different saves as well starting on the same season. I am just now experiencing winter fest for the first time, but I didn’t buy the game at launch. Even in different saves the holidays are not boring me yet. I wasn’t a huge fan of holidays in past sims games either. But I like these a lot and I like that if I don’t want them one year I can delete them from the calendar with no issues. However like someone else said it won’t hurt to think about it for a few weeks if you are really unsure. The game isn’t going anywhere.

Yeah and with the news of the "get famous" pack I couldn't be more conflicted.. (very happy Christmas is around the corner). I love the idea of having seasons in my game, I really loved the pack as more and more was coming out about it and seeing YouTubers playing with it in their LPs that I watch.. I think I was mainly torn about it because it will be such a change (I've never played with seasons before.. even when I was on the sims 3).. so used to having no weather influences and "yearly" celebrations and holidays.. I get what you mean about for you the holidays not coming around too fast because obviously, you see the seasons change and stuff as you're playing, it could be that I've felt that way because simmers play off camera sometimes so it's not always picking up from where they left it in the last video...

I find it interesting that you (like most) have multiple games and you're not bored at doing the same holidays, I like that.. that's the worst thing when you play certain ways and you end up doing some of the same things over and over - like a family play style and you're raising the kids and such.. I would've thought the holidays might get "samey" but very glad you feel different :)

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    I love Seasons. It really has enhanced my gameplay. Traditions really add more to my legacy families....getting everyone together for Winterfest.
    I also love creating my own holidays. It also seems like time goes by faster or something....I love scheduling things on the calendar for my super busy households....helps me remember birthdays, etc. & scheduling events in advance...especially if I'm preparing that perfect wedding and want to ensure it isn't raining on that day. Gardening, which is an easy money maker, really isn't as easy as it was before as certain plants grow in different seasons....so unless you shelter your plants, not everything will grow in every season. & I also like how certain weather affects areas. Like I made the mistake of taking my Sims to Granite Falls during Winter time....and the lakes were all frozen over. So they couldn't fish.

That's one of the reasons I really liked the game, I love having the families come together and stuff in real life and I loved that that meant it was kinda brought in game, along with the traditions side of things. What season length do you play with? I know that can probably alter things in terms of frequency? I LOVE the idea of the green houses and I have seen some stunning ones being made.. like mind blowing.. Is that that in one area/world it will be one weather type and in another it could be completely different?

"wahoo" - aquaman