Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I guess you guys can always tell when I'm playing. Constant newbie questions - today: roofs

Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
So I decided to enlarge my greenhouse to accommodate all the extra plans and trees I'm growing. I made the walls large enough to hold two gardening stations. I used the glass windows to make it look like a greenhouse. When tried to place the flat roof, it's making me leave a huge hole in the middle. I seem to be able to cover two squares out from the walls. The add-on is the exact same size as my previous greenhouse (which is still there. I did take out the wall in between them to give me a nice large open space.

What would cause this?

EDIT: wanted to tell my solution in case anyone else had this happen. The problem was that I needed to add support walls halfway in my room. I did that, added the roof and then removed the walls. Problem solved!

Comments

• Options
    simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member

I was just about to ask you if you had enough support in the middle when I saw your edit - glad you got it working! :smile: It's been a while since I built in Sims 3, but I believe columns will work for that, too, if you don't want walls.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Options
    AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited September 2018
    No worries about newbie questions! We were all newbies at one time :)

Another easy way for support is just to use some columns. Place ‘em where you need the support and when you get the roof up bada bing bada boom delete the column and you have a room.

This is just to save some time instead of building and deleting walls. That’s what I do whenever I build anything :)
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've used floor tiles as a flat roof and can place a tranparent rug over that floor to make a green house along with covering the floor with ITTF soile rugs for the plants.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    @Rhiannon58 - I think your questions are awesome. Not only does it help you, but it will help all of us when we can refer back to the answers in this thread. The answers are informative to everyone...so thank you for taking the time to ask the question.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    I'm doing like @Amphora , adding columns and deleting them. It obstructs the view less...
    NymlADp.jpg