Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lag and FPS Drops

Hey simmers,
So I recently installed sims 3 on my new desktop with all packs. It was pretty laggy at first with ultra settings but the overwatch mod seemed to help a lot. However I’m playing in the store World Riverview and having some mild lag and FPS drops causing stuttering when I zoom in and out. It has gotten down to 20 but is capped on 60 tends to drop to 40 with zoom in and out normally. I am just wondering if anyone can give me any tips to help solve some of these stutters? They wouldn’t bother me if my desktop wasn’t beyond anything the sims 3 should ever need to run but it’s a pretty good desktop specs wise.

My specs are:
AMD Ryzen 2700x processor
8GB or RAM
Nvidia 1060 3G graphics card

I feel like with this i shouldn’t even need a mod to prevent lag. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong in settings or what but the stutters happens enough to dampen my experience. I haven’t played in about 3 years so I could be doing something I shouldn’t settings wise. Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    We have a host of tips to improve game performance on this page, if you are not already familiar with them.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips For Better Game Performance

The biggest favors you can do the game, if you aren't already, are turn High Detail Lots down to 2, Reflections (water & mirrors) to one of the middle settings, play offline at both the Launcher and in-game levels, turn off the in-game EA Store shopping experience and the hidden object startup game, and disallow scrapbook memories or use a mod to control them.

But the game camera will stutter and drop frames on the newest higher end cards when zooming in and out and especially when playing at higher than Normal (1) speed. It's a nine year old game now and it might behave itself even better than it does on modern hardware if it could make use of any more than 800 MB of video memory (vram). A 1060 card is great, but much of its power is wasted I'm afraid because the game can never make use of more than that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    This was so helpful thank you. I was wondering if it was because my computer was too new. It is unfortunate that it can’t make use of current technology but like you said it’s a 9 year old game and it’s been moved on from. I do have high detailed lots low but I’ll tweak reflections and play offline. I was just so worried I was doing something wrong because I haven’t played in so long. I appreciate your help!!