Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I think it’s smart to hold of The Sims 5 as long as possible...

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

EA cater to a demographic where most play on laptops, and most use intergrated graphics. Whether you own a gaming PC or not, the majority of people don’t play on them, and probably one or the reasons why The Sims 4 is doing so well, is because it plays on anything.

Heck, it runs on an 11” MacBook Air :D

So, it makes sense for them to hold off for The Sims 5. We’re JUST entering a stage in PC’s where intergrated graphics are enough to run quite high end games on decent settings. You can run GTA V on high settings on the latest intel graphics cards.

So it makes sense for them to wait till every laptop (entry level or not) has these cards standard so that EA can push a high end game to everyone and the grand majority will be able to play it decently.

We’re still not there just yet as a lot of players have laptops from 1 - 2 years ago that basically run on Low-Medium settings.

Obviously the longer EA wait, the more they won’t have to cater to age old specs anymore and push out a game that’s able to compete and be current.

4 has managed to build a strong fan base (Seasons selling 800k first week is insane) and so they have loyalty, but the game already had hesitation at launch.

If they drop a game that isn’t high end next time people won’t give them a second chance.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    FYI, before PC spec guys come to yell at me again, I KNOW intergrated graphics aren’t designed for gaming, I’m not recommending them, that doesn’t stop the majority of the fan base using them.

You only have to go on Facebook groups or everyday Sims players on YT and they all play on laptops with either intergrated graphics or outdated laptop chips.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    How about a Sims game that could run on a Nokia 360? Everyone who had a Nokia back in the day should still have it and it should still work. Those phones where the strongest ever! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    edited August 2018
    Or how about a new life sim game that can actually handle simulation and is a true next gen experience that is capable of taking advantage of your expensive components? The sims 4 "runs" on everything but it doesn't run better on a gaming rig than a laptop in my experience through testing.
    What we need is a new game built on either dx11 or dx12 so it can utilize as many CPU cores as you have and that means smarter AI and no simulation lag.
    The sims 4 is built on dx9 and that is the main reason it doesn't handle its own simulation that well and no 64bit is not helping performance in that way. It only prevents memory related crashing. They should stop catering to the low end spectrum for at least the main series and actually start improving on things.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    sikasika18 wrote: »
    Or how about a new life sim game that can actually handle simulation and is a true next gen experience that is capable of taking advantage of your expensive components? The sims 4 "runs" on everything but it doesn't run better on a gaming rig than a laptop in my experience through testing.
    What we need is a new game built on either dx11 or dx12 so it can utilize as many CPU cores as you have and that means smarter AI and no simulation lag.
    The sims 4 is built on dx9 and that is the main reason it doesn't handle its own simulation that well and no 64bit is not helping performance in that way. It only prevents memory related crashing. They should stop catering to the low end spectrum for at least the main series and actually start improving on things.

Wait....TS4 is on dx9???? How??
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    I disagree, if they want to cater to a wider audience, make a spin-off game specifically for the laptop players, like they did with TS2 stories.
  • Options

Most of the issues with 4 are from the save files. I used mods and took them out etc but a lot of the remnants in the game still messed with the code over time.

If your game ever performs poorly, if you make a new Sims 4 folder in your documents and copy the saves you want over, you’ll find it runs perfect.

One of the reasons people suffer from performance issues more than others even with better specs comes down to the files. I haven’t used mods or any CC in months now and my game runs perfect on Ultra Settings on a PC where I used to struggle with huge lots and would have to turn the shadows and stuff down.
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Most of the issues with 4 are from the save files. I used mods and took them out etc but a lot of the remnants in the game still messed with the code over time.

If your game ever performs poorly, if you make a new Sims 4 folder in your documents and copy the saves you want over, you’ll find it runs perfect.

One of the reasons people suffer from performance issues more than others even with better specs comes down to the files. I haven’t used mods or any CC in months now and my game runs perfect on Ultra Settings on a PC where I used to struggle with huge lots and would have to turn the shadows and stuff down.

Some of that is true but that is bruteforcing through an unoptimized game. The game has core issues and it is directly tied to the outdated API. Savefile bloating is more down to the devs not doing a good job in regards to coding and crafting a smart cleanup system. The game has problems on different levels but it never had the chance to be great, being created on such limiting and outdated tech.