Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Settings Keep Restoring to Default PER FILE

I know this issue has been posted many times HOWEVER the issue seems to be different with me and the solutions don't work.

Essentially, every time I load up the game, the game settings change - but only the season length ones, and only on a specific file. Therefore, when I change the Settings.ini file with my master settings file, when I load up the game and check the settings in the main menu, they are just as I want them. However, when I then go on to load up a game file, the season lengths have reverted back to the default ones.

Now, for me this is not as simple as just being annoying. Whenever I go to change the season length settings in-game, my game randomly crashes. Therefore, if I want to change the settings for the file, I can play with those settings for about 10 seconds before it crashes. Rinse and repeat.

I have read solutions about it being due to graphic driver updates, so I have stopped them updating automatically, but even then this still happens.

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    It's quite possible I'm misunderstanding the issue here, so bear with me if you could.

Seasons settings are supposed to be on a per world basis and are thus stored in the game save file. Any changes made to the master set of settings involving game file specific settings such as seasons should, when things are working properly, not be honored within an already ongoing game.

Your game crashing when you attempt to change the settings within a save (consistently?) suggests that something might be wrong with your options.ini file. If you haven't already tried this I would suggest starting up the game and then such an affected save with no options.ini file at all, thus causing a new one to be spawned. Then make all adjustments as needed, both the ones to be handled globally and the ones like seasons that should be per game save.

Not what you were concerned about at the moment and possibly not relevant. But we would never recommend not keeping graphics drivers up to date. They don't have to be updated automatically, it's best to get updates from the computer manufacturer anyway when this is possible, the card manufacturer as a second choice, and could be what you meant you were already doing but just wanted to comment on that part in case that's helpful.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    tanzanitecoil17tanzanitecoil17 Posts: 29 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    It's quite possible I'm misunderstanding the issue here, so bear with me if you could.

Seasons settings are supposed to be on a per world basis and are thus stored in the game save file. Any changes made to the master set of settings involving game file specific settings such as seasons should, when things are working properly, not be honored within an already ongoing game.

Your game crashing when you attempt to change the settings within a save (consistently?) suggests that something might be wrong with your options.ini file. If you haven't already tried this I would suggest starting up the game and then such an affected save with no options.ini file at all, thus causing a new one to be spawned. Then make all adjustments as needed, both the ones to be handled globally and the ones like seasons that should be per game save.

Not what you were concerned about at the moment and possibly not relevant. But we would never recommend not keeping graphics drivers up to date. They don't have to be updated automatically, it's best to get updates from the computer manufacturer anyway when this is possible, the card manufacturer as a second choice, and could be what you meant you were already doing but just wanted to comment on that part in case that's helpful.

Deleting the Options.ini file definitely worked, although the problem will seem to come back after each time I reload the game, therefore it is a good short term fix but there still seems to be a long term problem?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    If this is now happening with only one ongoing game, am afraid I would have to suspect that game file corruption has crept in. Other ongoing game saves do not do this to you?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net