Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

need opinion on this, please

Hello! The last few days, my laptop has been having difficulties and is constantly shutting down. Aside from overheating issues, I think there might be other underlying problems as well. Since Sunday I've been unable to load or open the game. My laptop would immediately crash. The laptop is about 5 years old and was a hand-me down from my bf. I was thinking instead of spending money for repairs and spare parts on an old laptop, it might be worthwhile to look into replacing it instead? I'm not very tech-savy, so I hope someone here can let me know if these specs will perform well. I am looking for something that I hope will be a good investment and would be able to handle future expansions, other games, etc. Here are the specs:

Inspiron Desktop

option 1:

8th Generation Intel® Core i5-8400 processor

Windows 10 Home 64bit English

8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz; up to 32GB

3.5" 1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

option 2 ($200 more than option 1):

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700 processor

Windows 10 Home 64bit English

16GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

Dual Storage (3.5'' 1TB HDD+ M.2 128GB PCIe SSD)

Is option 1 just meeting minimum requirements, or is it good enough? If not, I may consider option 2.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    ReveryRevery Posts: 166 Member
    Hi,

here is a recommendation thread for computer specs that will run The Sims 4 on high settings:
    carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21609.msg387974#msg387974

An intel i5 processor should be totally fine. Option 2 comes with an SSD which would reduce loading times in the game if you installed it there instead of on an HDD. 8 or 16 gb of ram should not make a difference for TS4, the official recommended requirements are 4 gb. Could you let us know which graphics cards (gpu) the systems are equipped with? You should be able to find that info somewhere in the technical specifications sheet for your two options.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @mikamakimon Laptops are throw away computers. When they no longer make the hardware , you can't replace a laptop with new hardware. Average lifespan of a laptop is about 5 years.

Can you posts links to the computers your looking at? Your missing information on the computers you posted.

@Revery The sims 4 does not take advantage of an SSD and you can't game on 128 gb SSD. Not enough room to game on. you need a 256 gb or more to game on and that is even cutting it close. We recommend 500 gb hard drive or more. EA only lists the basic minimum hard drive space required for the game. This does not include game saves, CC mods which all make the game files larger. You also need room for windows updates and other programs

• Options
    @Revery The sims 4 does not take advantage of an SSD and you can't game on 128 gb SSD.

You might be correct about the in-game loading times being unaffected by the type of hard drive although I cannot find any sources for that... I'd be interested to learn why? I assumed it would behave similarly to TS3 were I noticed a massive difference after switching to an SSD. TS4 definitely loads up much faster initially when you open it from an SSD though.

128 gb may not be a lot but that totally depends on how many games you intend to install on that drive. As a teenager playing only Skyrim and TS4, 128 gb was enough. I just had all my other games I didn't play as regularly on my HDD. It really depends on what level of intensity you play games, most "casual" players I know do not even play anything else on PC and don't really require that much space I think.
  • Options
    @Revery The games are programmed diffrerently and not every game will take advantage of an SSD. TS3 loads much quicker on SSD and TS4 it makes no difference.

I have a 256 gb SSD I play TS3 only on and I am constantly having to manage and move files to my second hard drive We have had several people in here who only have one 256 gb hard drive and can not handle one game if they don't have a second hard drive. I'm sure as a teenager you did not have windows 10. Windows 10 takes allot to run . that 128 gb is needed for windows 10 and other programs. TS4 is not complete. Many also play with allot of mods, CC. As you add those and save the game. The saves get larger and larger. It would be irresponsible to tell someone it's ok to game on 128 gb ssd. We have already had people have to transfer the game from 128 gb ssd to their second hard drive because of not having enough room for the game. You need to leave at least 50 gb free hard drive space or the game will not perform or preform well.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Just heard rumours from a rep. in a store that there will be a new Intel 9000 series machine which will have a terabyte SSD coming at the end of the year. Probably expensive though but would suit a Sims 5!
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    Just heard rumours from a rep. in a store that there will be a new Intel 9000 series machine which will have a terabyte SSD coming at the end of the year. Probably expensive though but would suit a Sims 5!

@Simburian In the USA you can get a custom laptop for around $1000 with a 500 gb ssd plus a 1 tb hdd. This is also with having a good processor, video card and enough ram to run this game. Not all games take advantage of an ssd. If you play TS3 a 500 gb ssd is ideal

No announcement on a TS5. If they do make a TS5 it will be issued years from now and hardware will have changed by then . They make new hardware every year
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited August 2018
    Remember with SSD you need to leave at least 10% of space free for windows (preferably 15%) for windows trim and other windows services. Also the SSD will start to slow down when being near full. Ts3 you notice more of a different because the loading times are longer whereas ts4 load times are much shorter so you don't seem to notice the difference.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2018
    128 Gb SSDs are what I call mosquito drives that was okay back in the day and ideally for it the OS on that drive but over time even Windows will eat that drive up with all it's updates and the reason that nothing else should occupy that small of an SSD but the OS. Also, one should avoid erasing and writing to the SSD excessively, it operates a little different than an traditional HDD.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    Thank you everyone for the information shared here. When I originally posted my question, I was at work and posted it in haste. Hope the link works, if not, I'll copy and paste more info.

I was thinking at first of getting help to build my own desktop, but the price on this is pretty decent and already built, whereas building my own would take time and might lead to frustrations as I have no experience with this!

Here is the link for the first option I listed:
    https://dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktops/inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3670-desktop/di3670_btsb_s411e?ref=1251_img

I found out that the second option I listed (and more expensive one) comes with an Intel UHD Graphics 630. From what I've read here on the forums, NVIDIA is the recommended video card. The one I linked above does come with GeForce GTX 1050.
  • Options
    Revery wrote: »
    Hi,

here is a recommendation thread for computer specs that will run The Sims 4 on high settings:
    carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21609.msg387974#msg387974

An intel i5 processor should be totally fine. Option 2 comes with an SSD which would reduce loading times in the game if you installed it there instead of on an HDD. 8 or 16 gb of ram should not make a difference for TS4, the official recommended requirements are 4 gb. Could you let us know which graphics cards (gpu) the systems are equipped with? You should be able to find that info somewhere in the technical specifications sheet for your two options.

Thanks for the link! I've been to Carl's Sims 4 guide before but had never come across this. I did stumble upon the EA website and was very puzzled about the low specs that was listed. The recommendations on Carl's seem more in tune with what I've been reading here.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the information shared here. When I originally posted my question, I was at work and posted it in haste. Hope the link works, if not, I'll copy and paste more info.

I was thinking at first of getting help to build my own desktop, but the price on this is pretty decent and already built, whereas building my own would take time and might lead to frustrations as I have no experience with this!

https://dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktops/inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3670-desktop/di3670_btsb_s411e?ref=1251_img

I found out that the second option I listed (and more expensive one) comes with an Intel UHD Graphics 630. From what I've read here on the forums, NVIDIA is the recommended video card. The one I linked above does come with GeForce GTX 1050.

Your very welcome The dell is not something you want. It comes with a very low power supply and it would be hard to upgrade and switch out hardware. It also wont have the best cooling. You want a gaming tower where you can switch out or upgrade hardware. Also a tower with good cooling. What is your budget and country? @chesterbigbird can help you with a better desktop
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member

This would be a far better option
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-rog-strix-gaming-pc-intel-core-i5-8400-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-8gb-ram-nvidia-gtx1050-windows-10/12468833.aspx?
    Your limited for cheaper desktops in Canada. (I'm assuming that's where your from given the Dell link LOL)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited August 2018

@Simburian In the USA you can get a custom laptop for around $1000 with a 500 gb ssd plus a 1 tb hdd. This is also with having a good processor, video card and enough ram to run this game. Not all games take advantage of an ssd. If you play TS3 a 500 gb ssd is ideal

No announcement on a TS5. If they do make a TS5 it will be issued years from now and hardware will have changed by then . They make new hardware every year

@phoebebebe13 Our prices in the uk are so much higher than in the USA that I envy you all. I've recently bought an Omen with a 1060 card at a decent price and that could play Sims 4 at Ultra but I play safe at High and get good play from it. It is upgradeable apparently.

I did fork out for a tiny 14" laptop to travelling with, with a Geforce MX130 card, (Intel 8500) 8 Gig Ram and 256 SSD. It's still got 117 Gig left after installing Sims 4 but only want to use it for building so will that be ok? The SSD card does make starting the game up much, much faster by comparison with my Omen but I don't want to overheat it. Is it best to use on low settings?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @Revery The games are programmed diffrerently and not every game will take advantage of an SSD. *TS3 loads much quicker on SSD and TS4 it makes no difference.*

I have a 256 gb SSD I play TS3 only on and I am constantly having to manage and move files to my second hard drive We have had several people in here who only have one 256 gb hard drive and can not handle one game if they don't have a second hard drive. I'm sure as a teenager you did not have windows 10. Windows 10 takes allot to run . that 128 gb is needed for windows 10 and other programs. TS4 is not complete. Many also play with allot of mods, CC. As you add those and save the game. The saves get larger and larger. It would be irresponsible to tell someone it's ok to game on 128 gb ssd. We have already had people have to transfer the game from 128 gb ssd to their second hard drive because of not having enough room for the game. You need to leave at least 50 gb free hard drive space or the game will not perform or preform well.

It does make a difference. It is not as noticeable as it was with previous iterations but saying there is zero advantage of installing it on an ssd vs. an hdd is not correct.

Your statement that it is not ok to game on an ssd with 128 gb makes me wonder what you base your opinion on. There is anecdotal advice on the internet saying you should leave some amount of space free on hard disk or solid state drives but a lot of info on this topic is misleading. You need enough real and virutal memory for all programs you would like to run at the same time, so the less ram you have the more swap you require. 8 gb of ram + 128 gb ssd for a game like TS4 plus Windows 10 is fine. TS4 is not a demanding game. I could easily move my TS4 installation including 15 gb's of cc to my company laptop (Win10 + 28 gb ssd) and would still only be at 100 gb with all other software I have to have installed for work. [EDIT: I checked and my game's size is only around 24 gb without cc. Win10 takes up 20 gb, due to how it handles restore points it needs an extra 20 gb for updates... still enough room left for other programs.]

Of course more space may be necessary if you install a ton of cc and it is sensible to point out that you might run out of space eventually if your intent is to have a lot of software on the ssd. However, if your budget is limited and you know you don't need that extra space, save the money. SSD's will continue to drop in price and are easy to install, so you always have the option of getting a larger one later.
    Post edited by Revery on
  • Options

Your very welcome The dell is not something you want. It comes with a very low power supply and it would be hard to upgrade and switch out hardware. It also wont have the best cooling. You want a gaming tower where you can switch out or upgrade hardware. Also a tower with good cooling. What is your budget and country? @chesterbigbird can help you with a better desktop

Thanks for your feedback, I didn't even think of the power supply being a factor. I am from Canada... I am willing to spend a bit more if it's worth it in the long run.
  • Options

This would be a far better option
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-rog-strix-gaming-pc-intel-core-i5-8400-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-8gb-ram-nvidia-gtx1050-windows-10/12468833.aspx?
    Your limited for cheaper desktops in Canada. (I'm assuming that's where your from given the Dell link LOL)

Thank you for the link, I will definitely consider this! Yes, there aren't a lot of options where I am, unless you've got a bigger wallet! I did check Best Buy before, this must be recent sale : )
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Revery wrote: »
    @Revery The games are programmed diffrerently and not every game will take advantage of an SSD. *TS3 loads much quicker on SSD and TS4 it makes no difference.*

It does make a difference. It is not as noticeable as it was with previous iterations but saying there is zero advantage of installing it on an ssd vs. an hdd is not correct.

Your statement that it is not ok to game on an ssd with 128 gb makes me wonder what you base your opinion on. There is anecdotal advice on the internet saying you should leave some amount of space free on hard disk or solid state drives but a lot of info on this topic is misleading. You need enough real and virutal memory for all programs you would like to run at the same time, so the less ram you have the more swap you require. 8 gb of ram + 128 gb ssd for a game like TS4 plus Windows 10 is fine. TS4 is not a demanding game. I could easily move my TS4 installation including 15 gb's of cc to my company laptop (Win10 + 28 gb ssd) and would still only be at 100 gb with all other software I have to have installed for work. [EDIT: I checked and my game's size is only around 24 gb without cc. Win10 takes up 20 gb, due to how it handles restore points it needs an extra 20 gb for updates... still enough room left for other programs.]

Of course more space may be necessary if you install a ton of cc and it is sensible to point out that you might run out of space eventually if your intent is to have a lot of software on the ssd. However, if your budget is limited and you know you don't need that extra space, save the money. SSD's will continue to drop in price and are easy to install, so you always have the option of getting a larger one later.

The sims 4 does not make a difference on SSD to HDD. Severl of us who help in this forum have run tests on this issue. All of us have custom computers and higher end SSD

I base my opinion on what I already mentioned to you. We have been helping in this forum for years and know the game will have issues on 128 gb ssd with windows 10 etc. @chesterbigbird even brought up the same issue to you about the ssd needing free space. We are well aware of how hardware works.

Those of us who do help here all the time give the best advice we can to help people not run into game issues. I feel like your trying to bait me and this is not a discussion I wish to continue. The OP is already being helped in trying to find the best hardware for their money for this game.
  • Options

@phoebebebe13 Our prices in the uk are so much higher than in the USA that I envy you all. I've recently bought an Omen with a 1060 card at a decent price and that could play Sims 4 at Ultra but I play safe at High and get good play from it. It is upgradeable apparently.

I did fork out for a tiny 14" laptop to travelling with, with a Geforce MX130 card, (Intel 8500) 8 Gig Ram and 256 SSD. It's still got 117 Gig left after installing Sims 4 but only want to use it for building so will that be ok? The SSD card does make starting the game up much, much faster by comparison with my Omen but I don't want to overheat it. Is it best to use on low settings?

@Simburian UK prices are not far behind USA. UK and USA have the most options offered for gaming computers compared to other countries. the prices are around the same with currency conversion. HP anywhere is overpriced. We try to advise people to come in tech and we can help people find computers before buying so you don't buy and overpriced or under-powered computer. Your HP could also have a slower HDD hard drive. Running this game on a 7200 HDD as opposed to SDD does not make a difference in the sims 4. Several of us have run tests . All of us that have run tests have more expensive SSD

The MX130 card is a low end card and not for running games like the sims. I would keep that laptop on low or play in windowed mode so you don't stress out the laptop. Own a laptop cooler if you don't own one. 256 gb is ok as long as you leave at least 50 gb free space
  • Options

@Simburian UK prices are not far behind USA. UK and USA have the most options offered for gaming computers compared to other countries. the prices are around the same with currency conversion. HP anywhere is overpriced. We try to advise people to come in tech and we can help people find computers before buying so you don't buy and overpriced or under-powered computer. Your HP could also have a slower HDD hard drive. Running this game on a 7200 HDD as opposed to SDD does not make a difference in the sims 4. Several of us have run tests . All of us that have run tests have more expensive SSD

The MX130 card is a low end card and not for running games like the sims. I would keep that laptop on low or play in windowed mode so you don't stress out the laptop. Own a laptop cooler if you don't own one. 256 gb is ok as long as you leave at least 50 gb free space

Thanks @phoebebebe13 I buy my laptops from J Lewis in the UK as I have their Partnership card and can pay off over a few months. They have the lowest APR here and if anything goes wrong I can take it back (short bus ride) rather than posting, though I've never, ever had anything go wrong with any HP I've bought before from them. This one was £250 off. The small one was £100 off and playing Sims just a possibility but I wanted one with a video card. It's a question of trust of supplier with me and having to keep an eye out for shared building expenses which need instant cash payments.

(Paid off my last buy 4 years ago with a free 0% credit transfer offer from my bank which meant I just paid off £!00 a month with no interest over 17 months)! Then cut the card up.
  • Options

Thanks @phoebebebe13 I buy my laptops from J Lewis in the UK as I have their Partnership card and can pay off over a few months. They have the lowest APR here and if anything goes wrong I can take it back (short bus ride) rather than posting, though I've never, ever had anything go wrong with any HP I've bought before from them. This one was £250 off. The small one was £100 off and playing Sims just a possibility but I wanted one with a video card. It's a question of trust of supplier with me and having to keep an eye out for shared building expenses which need instant cash payments.

(Paid off my last buy 4 years ago with a free 0% credit transfer offer from my bank which meant I just paid off £!00 a month with no interest over 17 months)! Then cut the card up.

@Simburian I don't know lewis's off hand. There are allot better gaming computer choices than HP. UK really does have many options like the USA. Those of us who help in tech don't usually recommend HP because they are over priced, they give you generic cheaper hardware. Their cases don't have the best cooling which gaming hardware needs . Your case size, cooling and hardware are all important. You want a gaming computer with a good roomy case, lots of fans or liquid cooling, room for upgrades and switching out hardware etc so the computer does not become a throw away computer over time .
  • Options

@Simburian I don't know lewis's off hand. There are allot better gaming computer choices than HP. UK really does have many options like the USA. Those of us who help in tech don't usually recommend HP because they are over priced, they give you generic cheaper hardware. Their cases don't have the best cooling which gaming hardware needs . Your case size, cooling and hardware are all important. You want a gaming computer with a good roomy case, lots of fans or liquid cooling, room for upgrades and switching out hardware etc so the computer does not become a throw away computer over time .

This Omen is supposed to have better cooling it seems but I haven't tried it to the limit.

I'm afraid that when I look round a store I am subject to impulse buying and the John Lewis motto "never knowingly undersold" They apparently will repay the difference but I've never tried taking them on! I only play Sims games slowly and - otherwise - ones that don't need speed or power. I'm set for the next 3 or 4 years hopefully. It's only Sims 3 that bust my Acer years ago. I do get free coffee and cakes and vouchers when overall shopping adds up. John Lewis is a huge concern with a Royal Warrant and if, maybe, you get to London, Edinburgh or several cities in the uk where they are, sometime, it's a nice place to have a coffee!
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I just want to get this out there. @phoebebebe13 and @chesterbigbird and @Goldmoldar you are all amazing. Thank you so much! You are so generous with your knowledge and your time to help everyone. I just wanted to let you know how much you are appreciated. As someone who is completely computer hopeless your taking the time to be so helpful to everyone means a great deal. Thank you!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2018

The sims 4 does not make a difference on SSD to HDD. Severl of us who help in this forum have run tests on this issue. All of us have custom computers and higher end SSD

I base my opinion on what I already mentioned to you. We have been helping in this forum for years and know the game will have issues on 128 gb ssd with windows 10 etc. @chesterbigbird even brought up the same issue to you about the ssd needing free space. We are well aware of how hardware works.

Those of us who do help here all the time give the best advice we can to help people not run into game issues. I feel like your trying to bait me and this is not a discussion I wish to continue. The OP is already being helped in trying to find the best hardware for their money for this game.

My apologies, I did not want to make it seem like I was interested in a debate. I can see that you mean well with your advice, I was merely put off by phrases like 'you cannot game on a 128 gb ssd' which to someone with less technical knowledge than yours may make it seem like it is technically impossible to do so and my intent was to clarify this. Please do not take this as a personal attack.

Sorry for going slightly off topic here, I am glad you got so many helpful responses, OP! :)
  • Options
    I appreciate everyone's help and feedback on here. This is a learning experience for me, and I'm so glad that there are people here on the forum willing to help and educate people like me who lack knowledge in computers.

I decided to go with building my own desktop. After looking at the options in my area, it seems like there is not much difference in cost between pre-built desktops vs a custom one. By building my own, I would at least get to individually select each component. To clarify, the game should be able to run on HDD? If I get a 1TB HDD and 250 GB SSD, I would want to run the OS on the SSD and everything else, including SIMS 4, on HDD? Would you advise 'recycling' an old SSD? To save a little on cost, someone suggested to take out the SSD (which is 250GB) in my old laptop to install on the new desktop. I was also advised that extra cooling devices aren't necessary (aside from the case fans and stock fans). Would you agree?
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2018
    I appreciate everyone's help and feedback on here. This is a learning experience for me, and I'm so glad that there are people here on the forum willing to help and educate people like me who lack knowledge in computers.

I decided to go with building my own desktop. After looking at the options in my area, it seems like there is not much difference in cost between pre-built desktops vs a custom one. By building my own, I would at least get to individually select each component. To clarify, the game should be able to run on HDD? If I get a 1TB HDD and 250 GB SSD, I would want to run the OS on the SSD and everything else, including SIMS 4, on HDD? Would you advise 'recycling' an old SSD? To save a little on cost, someone suggested to take out the SSD (which is 250GB) in my old laptop to install on the new desktop. I was also advised that extra cooling devices aren't necessary (aside from the case fans and stock fans). Would you agree?

Depending on the company you may void your warranty and If you are not too much knowledgeable or comfortable with computers I would let an professional do it if you go that route.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen