Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone had a successful New Skill Day?

dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
The surprise holiday New Skill Day popped up, and it said that sims learn skills faster and should learn a new skill or develop an old one. Both my sims gained a skill point in an existing skill, one in gardening and one in logic, but at the end I got a notification that New Skill Days was awful. I tried searching for mentions of new skill day on here to see if it worked or not for others, and saw one other person for whom it also failed even though they also tried introducing a sim to a new skill instead of just improving an old one, and no mention of it actually having been successful for anyone.

So, has anyone gotten it to work, and if so, how? Is one skill point not enough?
-OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-

Comments

• Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Sounds like a glitch, in two saves I'd had that day pop up and one skill point was enough for the day to be complete both actually doing the skill and a pair just studying in books. Maybe next time you can let them gain one skill then have them do something else to see if it pops up that they succeeded.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    Jordyn78988Jordyn78988 Posts: 421 Member
    I agree with @RedDestiny92 , that seems like a glitch. New Skill Day worked for me, once my sim leveled up, they celebrated and it was successful. Sorry you're having this issue.
  • Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    My current sim was getting the problem, all my other sims have no trouble. I tried him with a couple of different skill and they didn't count, for some reason though singing did.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    That's weird, I haven't really had glitches with seasons because I started with a completely fresh sims folder when it came out. I guess next time this holiday comes around I'll try some different things out.

Edit: except for the flower bunny not showing up the first easter.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    when i had this day pop up, any of the skills the sims had that reached 6 or higher didn't seem to count. but anything going from 1 to 4 did (nobody had anything go to 5 so couldn't check that)
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    The mom and dad in my family both skilled up in Parenting (and really fast too - now that's some skill boost :) ) and I think Cooking, so they were able to complete the traditions. However, the child-aged daughter skilled up in Creativity and that didn't complete the tradition for some reason. It seems kind of a hit or miss holiday. :confused:
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2018
    One skill point is enough to complete the tradition. Do you have any skill related mods? Maybe they are conflicting.
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    My sim husband learned a completely new skill (flower arranging) and his holiday was a success. My sim wife went up one skill level in the same skill, which she already had, but this did not complete the tradition. It seems that the game is not recognising improvement of an existing skill - or maybe my sim wife did not gain enough of the skill to complete it.
  • Options
    LumiastaLumiasta Posts: 171 Member
    The first time it popped up my sims (two adults in that family) both gained a skill-up in a skill they were already quite high in (I think flower arrangement and vet) and that didn't count. It was the first festival in my calendar, so I was clueless and therefore didn't pay attention to if it's progressing well or if they need to do more, and so indeed when the day ended, it was ranked awful. The next time I did a bunch of low level skills and it went perfectly well.
  • Options
    Okay, so it seems the skill needs to be below level 5 for it to count, though that's not clear from the description of the tradition.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

Okay, so it seems the skill needs to be below level 5 for it to count, though that's not clear from the description of the tradition.

Yes, I think that explains it. My teenage Sim got this right off, but her level must have been lower. Her mother increased her logic skill, but it was already too high to count. I had her sing a bit, and that got her skill reward.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I've just had my first New Skill Day and it was a huge success, probably because I had my sim spend many hours in a skill club gathering.

Combined with the club's skill boost, my sim went from 1-5 after just two paintings!
  • Options
    MasheedaMasheeda Posts: 19 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    when i had this day pop up, any of the skills the sims had that reached 6 or higher didn't seem to count. but anything going from 1 to 4 did (nobody had anything go to 5 so couldn't check that)

This was my experience as well. It seems the requirement is only fulfilled if its a developing skill.
  • Options
    aabroadyaabroady Posts: 59 Member
    I haven't had any problems with New Skill Day. I can't say that I've paid any particular attention to the skill level, if any, of my sims. Most of the tine I just have them try to level up on a few different skills or start one that they haven't already or have very low skills levels for.
    tumblr_inline_pthe8zHeJT1rorsjo_1280.png
    Gallery ID: aabroady
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    It's been buggy to me too. One of my Sims got two skill points that day and it didn't count.
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I've not seen this holiday once. Does it appear in a certain season or is it completely random like the others?
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I hd this working fine. Did not check if this worked better for low skills, though. This is one holiday most of my families like, and a good reminder that children should build skills :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ActuallyxAnnaActuallyxAnna Posts: 52 Member
    New skill day has been good to me, but I know when seasons first came out it was really glitchy so maybe they fixed it since the game did update today!
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    So, has anyone gotten it to work, and if so, how? Is one skill point not enough?
    It's really simple. Have your Sim learn a new skill or level up one already learned :|

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    edited August 2018
    Nindigo wrote: »
    It's really simple. Have your Sim learn a new skill or level up one already learned :|

@dopaminedroid is saying it's not accepting that as completing the holiday. Not so simple when it doesn't work, @Nindigo.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    When combined with the 'fast reader' reward trait I had a Sim go from level 0 to level 5 in the Gourmet Cooking skill in one Sim afternoon. This holiday is especially handy when dealing with totally new Sims with low or zero skills.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    PinkPaws66 wrote: »
    @dopaminedroid is saying it's not accepting that as completing the holiday. Not so simple when it doesn't work, @Nindigo.
    But it works for me...so, it kind of is simple. Their game may be buggy :/

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    as several have pointed out multiple times in the thread, the holiday seems to only count LOW skill increases. anything going over skill 5 doesn't seem to count, since then it's not a NEW skill, but one the sim has been practicing for a while
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I tested this when my New Skill Day came up; I had my sim first increase a level on one of their already existing skills, but it didn't check the tradition, even though it mentions developing your current skills as well as new skills when reading about the tradition. So naturally I tested by making him learn a new skill, and I sent him to the city art center to learn piano on the keyboard. Increasing to lvl 2 in that skill checked the tradition off.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    BastianBastian Posts: 9 New Member
    Still didn't seem to work for me - I gained a new skill (Logic) AND levelled up an existing (Painting), however Painting was about level 7 already, so perhaps it fell victim to the "Lower Than Skill Level Five" thing.

Has anyone ascertained whether or not it's to level 2 min, not just starting?