Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sick pets can be annoying, but they're practically IMPOSSIBLE in rotational play

I log into a household I haven't played in a while with pets. There is always at least one pet sick, and with more than one pet sometimes more than one, or even ALL of them. I take them to the vet. With more than one pet, since you can't check in more than one pet at a time, this is often an all day affair as I cycle through different appointments. As I wait, I see the other households I play who have pets coming into the pet hospital with sick pets--something the game generates in order to provide "patients" for the hospital. And I know that even tho I see them complete their appointment, when I log into their household, the pets will still be sick. And I'll have to take them to the vet. And the whole thing will start all over again.

This is my hell. My purgatory. Despite how much I love having cats and and dogs in my game, this pushes me to the point where I wish I'd never bought it. It's not only frustrating, it's emotionally draining--I love this furry little bundles of pixels, and seeing them sick all the time is awful. No pet actually gets sick this much unless there's something seriously wrong with them. Programming them to be constantly be coming down with things, simply to provide "atmosphere" for the pet hospital is downright cruel.

I know it's probably because it was really designed to benefit those playing as a vet, so as to provide patients for them to cure. But I don't understand why they can't distinguish between the two situations--when you go to the hospital to have a baby, it's not like you run into dozens of other pregnant and sick patients. Those only show up when playing in the doctor career--why can't his be the same?

At any rate, there at least needs to be a way to make it so that no one is sick when I first log in to play a household--or at least have a way to cure them at home, without the veterinary skill, so that new sick pets aren't generated. Medicine you can order, a way to call the vet for housecalls--heck, I'd even take a cheat at this point, this is so exhausting. I've never rage quit the sims from something actually in the game, but I'm close with this one. I need something to enable me to keep playing--a cheat, a mod, a patch, ANYTHING. There's a mod that makes it so NPC pets don't wander around sick and hungry and stinky, but it doesn't help the pet hospital patient issue. As is, the only "solution" would be...to just not cure the pets. Have them stay sick forever, until they die of old age, because otherwise if I try to get them cured, that's just condemning other cats and dogs to be sick. Over and over again.

I started this post the other day, but I was so angry I decided to sleep on it to try and phrase things more civilly, but I really need the people making the game to understand how deeply upsetting this is to me. Please, please, please, I am begging someone to do something about this.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,462 Member
    FanPhoria wrote: »
    I log into a household I haven't played in a while with pets. There is always at least one pet sick, and with more than one pet sometimes more than one, or even ALL of them. I take them to the vet. With more than one pet, since you can't check in more than one pet at a time, this is often an all day affair as I cycle through different appointments. As I wait, I see the other households I play who have pets coming into the pet hospital with sick pets--something the game generates in order to provide "patients" for the hospital. And I know that even tho I see them complete their appointment, when I log into their household, the pets will still be sick. And I'll have to take them to the vet. And the whole thing will start all over again.

This is my hell. My purgatory. Despite how much I love having cats and and dogs in my game, this pushes me to the point where I wish I'd never bought it. It's not only frustrating, it's emotionally draining--I love this furry little bundles of pixels, and seeing them sick all the time is awful. No pet actually gets sick this much unless there's something seriously wrong with them. Programming them to be constantly be coming down with things, simply to provide "atmosphere" for the pet hospital is downright cruel.

I know it's probably because it was really designed to benefit those playing as a vet, so as to provide patients for them to cure. But I don't understand why they can't distinguish between the two situations--when you go to the hospital to have a baby, it's not like you run into dozens of other pregnant and sick patients. Those only show up when playing in the doctor career--why can't his be the same?

At any rate, there at least needs to be a way to make it so that no one is sick when I first log in to play a household--or at least have a way to cure them at home, without the veterinary skill, so that new sick pets aren't generated. Medicine you can order, a way to call the vet for housecalls--heck, I'd even take a cheat at this point, this is so exhausting. I've never rage quit the sims from something actually in the game, but I'm close with this one. I need something to enable me to keep playing--a cheat, a mod, a patch, ANYTHING. There's a mod that makes it so NPC pets don't wander around sick and hungry and stinky, but it doesn't help the pet hospital patient issue. As is, the only "solution" would be...to just not cure the pets. Have them stay sick forever, until they die of old age, because otherwise if I try to get them cured, that's just condemning other cats and dogs to be sick. Over and over again.

I started this post the other day, but I was so angry I decided to sleep on it to try and phrase things more civilly, but I really need the people making the game to understand how deeply upsetting this is to me. Please, please, please, I am begging someone to do something about this.

Thank you.

I'm with you on this. I recently logged into a household to find my most recently adopted stray being violently ill with a bad case of fleas. My Sim, who was a vet, took the cat to the hospital for surgery. The cat was fine. They returned home and suddenly the cat got stuck in a puking loop over and over and accumulated such a horrible mess that I adopted her out to get rid of her because the household was unplayable and the cat wasn't registering as sick anymore.

Now this was obviously a bug, but the excessive illness of pets was something I was concerned about before the release of Cats ans Dogs and now it's proven why. This pack should focus on the actual animals as pets first, then the veterinary career second. But these illnesses are an invasive priority and I'd really like to see them tuned down to a much rarer occurrence, or reworked to be something that's only active on the currently played household and random townies. We shouldn't get surprise sicknesses when rotating to the next played household.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    Buy healt treat from machine! It cost 150 simolenos. YOU can buy more for next!
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    Have you tried using the wellness treats? You don't even have to go to the vet to get them. You can download a room off the gallery that has lots of wellness treats in it and place it in your house. Then you feed one to your pet and they should be cured.
  • Options
    dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't play roationally, but the last two times I went to the vet, I waited for hours after checking in and my pet still hadn't been treated, so I just bought the wellness treat from vending machine and went home to treat the pets myself that way. So stocking up on treats, putting the vet vending meaching somewhere other than the vet's office, might be a solution.

ETA: seems I was too slow typing out my response and two people beat me to it!
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I'm having the same issue. Next to strays walking around in an awful condition, this is just heartbreaking.

Maybe I'm weak and sensitive but it's really pulling on my heartstrings that pets get sick so often. Makes me feel like a bad owner. And when it's someone else's pets it's just infuriating as I cannot do anything with it.

Pets in this EP don't seem to be much more than accessories for those who want to play around with vet clinics.
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    I noticed this too. Everyone of my rotations have had to take the poor pet to the clinic. A few multiple times. A sim cannot wander around Brindlton it's too heartbreaking all the sick strays. It has to stop!
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I can see where this could be a real issue. I don't have saves where multiple families have pets and I'm glad. I do enjoy them but the first thing I do is give them a bath and sometimes take them to the vet. I do load those families up on wellness treats also. I don't know what can be done about because personally I wouldn't want a mod that takes that away the need to bathe and sickness completely. I do kind of wish your pet would start off clean when you rotated to them though.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I think the sicknesses need to be toned down-constantly seeing sick pets/having your pets be sick is just annoying. I tend to see sick pets running around every time I go to Brindleton Bay,and that's just ridiculous! Pets shouldn't be constantly be getting sick every single day....EA needs to fix this.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    LadyTigressLadyTigress Posts: 183 Member
    I dont see that many sick pets really, but I dont play Brindleton Bay and I am loving the pets in this ep...my one problem is that my pets get sick alot if you have one of the big bushes on the lot, the ones you can also use for wohoo, like my pets would go into them and fight something, get bitten by squirrel and get sick every two minutes, or sprayed by a skunk, I just sold the bushes and that solved
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I was having the same issue until I decided to load my Sims inventories with the wellness treat for pets. Anytime I revisit a household with pets and there's a sick(s) pet(s) I give them the treat and voilà! No more trips to the vet.
    But yeah, it is really annoying. Even giving the treat is annoying since they need to spend the simoleons on that and I also don't like seeing my households' pets sick and dirty all the time.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    I use littlemisssams no more sick pets mod. All my frustrations ended. But this needs to be fixed for real.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Jouvay wrote: »
    I use littlemisssams no more sick pets mod. All my frustrations ended. But this needs to be fixed for real.

I use this mod as well, but it doesn't seem to affect the households I actually play, only NPCs. Plus sick pets still get generated at the pet hospital when I go there to get the pet treated.

Thanks for the tip about wellness treats guys! For some reason, the description of "boosts wellness" didn't read "actually cures illness" to me, lol. Sadly, I couldn't easily search for a room to download with wellness treats, and the vending machine didn't have purchasable items in it on any lot but the vet clinic. Still, I was able to send each of my households to one quick trip to stock up on the max I could buy (99) which cost about 5000 simolians, but hey, at least now I don't have to go back for a while. Only thing is that I wish there was some place to store them--can't put them in the fridge, and so if the sim I'm playing dies I'm worried I'll lose them. Items from dead household members used to go into the household inventory, but I fell like that's bee less consistent. Anyway, I'll just have to keep an eye on it--I think the wellness treats will work for now!
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Jouvay wrote: »

I use this mod as well, but it doesn't seem to affect the households I actually play, only NPCs. Plus sick pets still get generated at the pet hospital when I go there to get the pet treated.

Thanks for the tip about wellness treats guys! For some reason, the description of "boosts wellness" didn't read "actually cures illness" to me, lol. Sadly, I couldn't easily search for a room to download with wellness treats, and the vending machine didn't have purchasable items in it on any lot but the vet clinic. Still, I was able to send each of my households to one quick trip to stock up on the max I could buy (99) which cost about 5000 simolians, but hey, at least now I don't have to go back for a while. Only thing is that I wish there was some place to store them--can't put them in the fridge, and so if the sim I'm playing dies I'm worried I'll lose them. Items from dead household members used to go into the household inventory, but I fell like that's bee less consistent. Anyway, I'll just have to keep an eye on it--I think the wellness treats will work for now!

Have you tried using the storage chest? It might be of some help for your situation.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    What bothers me is when I visit my other households I play with another family, cause I play rotationally and have certain households be friends with one another, and while at their house the pet is always severely sick and almost dead looking and I can't do anything cause it's not my pet at the time. I have to stop the visit and go to manage households to take care of the pet. This has happened multiple times when visiting other houses. If they get sick in the household I'm playing then I don't mind as much, but they do seem to get sick a lot more since seasons.
  • Options
    @drake_mccarty where in build is the storage chest? Don't think I've used that before, and it sounds perfect!

@soko37 Wellness treats have been working really well for me, and I think you can give vet treats to other households pets as well. So if you just stock up, then your sim just needs to introduce themselves to the sick pet and give them the treat! Haven't tried that yet, but I think it should work maybe?
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited July 2018
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    Have you tried using the wellness treats? You don't even have to go to the vet to get them. You can download a room off the gallery that has lots of wellness treats in it and place it in your house. Then you feed one to your pet and they should be cured.

I noticed when I feed them wellness treats they don't get so often because I swear they use to get sick a few hours later after I bring them home. Once I started giving them the treat it's definitely less constant.

I only wish pets that are strays don't get sick, since if you don't own them you can't take them to the vet. I wanna feed them a wellness treat at least.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    LadyKyn wrote: »

I only wish pets that are strays don't get sick, since if you don't own them you can't take them to the vet. I wanna feed them a wellness treat at least.

I use the mod for "no sick hungry dirty pets", which works on strays as well. Though if you hang around in a cat or dog hang out lot for a while, it doesn't prevent them from eventually becoming sick I don't think, but it does prevent them from spawning that way and keeps them healthy between loads.

• Options
    justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
    edited July 2018
    Well, it's a realistic situation.
    One thing though: you can still heal your pets (and strays, i'm almost certain) even just at home if you buy that exam table. You don't need the vet skill.
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• Options
    One thing though: you can still heal your pets (and strays, i'm almost certain) even just at home if you buy that exam table. You don't need the vet skill.

Have you ever had a pet? Cause having to take your pet to the vet every week is not realistic.

Also, I tried the exam table. Didn't work--you do need the vet skill. Wellness treats are the only thing that's remotely worked so far, I wouldn't bother with anything else.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    @drake_mccarty where in build is the storage chest? Don't think I've used that before, and it sounds perfect!

@soko37 Wellness treats have been working really well for me, and I think you can give vet treats to other households pets as well. So if you just stock up, then your sim just needs to introduce themselves to the sick pet and give them the treat! Haven't tried that yet, but I think it should work maybe?

Oh wow. Didn't realize I could do that. Haven't tried it yet, but thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
    edited July 2018

Have you ever had a pet? Cause having to take your pet to the vet every week is not realistic.

Also, I tried the exam table. Didn't work--you do need the vet skill. Wellness treats are the only thing that's remotely worked so far, I wouldn't bother with anything else.

Well. I'd been taking my cat to the vet almost daily when I first adopted him. He's asthmatic. I apologize I didn't mention it earlier. If you use the show hidden objects cheat, it'll be there in activities/skills. I see that's not what you're looking for though, never mind, I'm sorry.
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited July 2018
    I am happy with pet's it is rather tame. Though doesn't make me feel bad for them when they're sick or die of old age. :#
    I just remember how Pets were able to die of hunger and fire related deaths in previous games. Which was pretty morbid.

Edit: Had another tab open had posted the wrong comment haha. XD
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Jordyn78988Jordyn78988 Posts: 421 Member
    edited July 2018
    Are the wellness treats working for you all? I know there is currently a bug where your pet becomes constantly scared. Is that happening to anyone?

ETA: Answers HQ link

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-CD-Wellness-Treat-Causing-Endless-Negative-Mood/m-p/6501026#M55224
  • Options
    Are the wellness treats working for you all? I know there is currently a bug where your pet becomes constantly scared. Is that happening to anyone?

ETA: Answers HQ link

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-CD-Wellness-Treat-Causing-Endless-Negative-Mood/m-p/6501026#M55224

Ah, is that what was causing that? Darn, it was really working aside from that :-/
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I don't play roationally, but the last two times I went to the vet, I waited for hours after checking in and my pet still hadn't been treated, so I just bought the wellness treat from vending machine and went home to treat the pets myself that way. So stocking up on treats, putting the vet vending meaching somewhere other than the vet's office, might be a solution.

ETA: seems I was too slow typing out my response and two people beat me to it!

That is incorrect actually; the pet vending machines only come fully stocked with treats in unowned vet clinic only. Placing them anywhere else that isn't a vet clinic will not auto-stock it with treats. Though I wish they were.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png