Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In the market for a new desktop. What do you think of this one?

My 4 and a half y/o desktop seems to have become a doorstop. Can't even get it to boot up without getting an error message. Hubby told me to order a new computer and he'll take my old one and get it fixed to fit his needs since his is almost 10 y/o. So, I went to C.yberpowerPC.com and found one that I think will do for running The Sims 3, all EP, all SP, and the entire store. I also have an account on Steam where I play some games.

I changed a few things from the original configuration so I'm hoping someone can tell me if I've done this right:

C.yberpowerPC VR Ready Deal GTX 1070 Ti
Operating System : Windows 10 Home ( 64-bit Edition )
Gaming Chassis : C.yberpowerPC X-Mirage Black Mid Tower ATX Gaming Case w/ Full Size Tempered Glass Side Window ( Black Color )
Extra Case Fans : 3 x 120 mm Case Fans for your selected case
Noise Reduction Technology : Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top, and Bottom Panels, and more ( 1 )
CPU : Intel Core Processor i7-8700K 3.70 GHz 12 MB Intel Smart Cache LGA 1151 ( Coffee Lake )
CPU/Processor Cooling Fan : C.yberpowerPC Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler ( Single Standard 120 mm Fan )
Motherboard : ASUS Prime Z370-P ATX w/ USB 3.1, 2 PCle x16, 3 PCle x 1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCle [ Intel Optane Ready }
RAM/System Memory : 16 GB ( 8 GB x 2 ) DDR4/3000 MHz Dual Channel Memory ( ADATA XPG Z1 )
Video Card : GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB GDDR5 ( Pascal ) [ VR Ready ] ( Single Card )
Power Supply : 600 WATTS - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossfireX Ready
Primary Hard Drive : 240 GB ADATA ASU 650 SSD + 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo ( Combo Drive )
Optical Drive : ASUS 24X Internal Multi DVD-Writer/ 24X DVD+R 8X DVD +RW DVD-R ( Black Color )
Sound : HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 Audio
Internal Network Card : Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
USB Hub & Port : Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Is Overclocking recommended? Do I need an SLI Bridge? What is a WiDi Router and do I need one?
Call me Dee :p
Proud member of the "Own The Store Club"

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    An SLI bridge is for harnessing the power of two Nvidia GTX graphics cards. TS3 cannot make use of SLI.

A WiDi router is, I believe, for establishing a wireless connection to an HDTV.

This looks like way overkill for TS3 to me. Are there other games or other intended uses for this system beyond this one game? But of course I would defer to a systems build expert. Paging one.
    @chesterbigbird
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    It is overkill.
    The thing with buying from custom desktop sites is you really need to know what you are doing in order to get a good build.
    Do you have a budget? and other games you play?
    This is a much better build for ts3
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1KP5BC
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    despina53despina53 Posts: 1,654 Member
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for responding, @igazor and @chesterbigbird.

I looked at the link you provided, chesterbigbird, and it looks like a nice computer. But don't I need an optical drive if I'm going to be putting discs in the computer? That one says it doesn't have one. All of my TS3 is on discs and I sometimes watch a DVD on the computer. Budget is about $1500 ( give or take ). Most of my other games are on Steam -
    Citites: Skylines with all DLC and a load of mods and user made content / Banished / Anno 2205 Complete / Civilization IV & V with all DLC for both / Civilization : Beyond Earth / LEGO Worlds and LEGO Harry Potter Complete ( I have grandkids ) / Unturned ( again, I have grandkids ).

Thanks for the help :)

ETA: Forgot to mention I have CAW installed, also ( trying to learn how to make my own TS3 world ).
    Post edited by despina53 on
  • Options
    despina53 wrote: »
    Thanks for responding, @igazor and @chesterbigbird.

I looked at the link you provided, chesterbigbird, and it looks like a nice computer. But don't I need an optical drive if I'm going to be putting discs in the computer? That one says it doesn't have one. All of my TS3 is on discs and I sometimes watch a DVD on the computer. Budget is about $1500 ( give or take ). Most of my other games are on Steam -
    Citites: Skylines with all DLC and a load of mods and user made content / Banished / Anno 2205 Complete / Civilization IV & V with all DLC for both / Civilization : Beyond Earth / LEGO Worlds and LEGO Harry Potter Complete ( I have grandkids ) / Unturned ( again, I have grandkids ).

Thanks for the help :)

ETA: Forgot to mention I have CAW installed, also ( trying to learn how to make my own TS3 world ).

Can add the optical drive in
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1KPAUW
    That includes a better case with better cooling and the added optical drive plus the 6GB overclocked 1060 instead of the 3GB version (Will help with your other games.)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    despina53despina53 Posts: 1,654 Member
    @chesterbigbird - That one looks great! Thank you so much for the help :smiley:
  • Options
    despina53 wrote: »
    @chesterbigbird - That one looks great! Thank you so much for the help :smiley:

You're welcome :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    edited July 2018
    Edit: Nevermind! Looks like this has already been answered. Please feel free to disregard this post! :/