Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 seasons vs. Sims 3 seasons

Comments

• Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited June 2018
    For me the Sims 3 all the way.

I think the weather details are much better in Sims 3, and the Sims 3 also had much more content imo. What activities does the Sims 4 seasons offer? There is skating and the usual snow'pal' building and snowangels.

When it comes to seasonal activities; the Sims 3 takes the cake. The festivals had much more content on offer compared to what we got with the Sims 4 Seasons.

Also the weather details like I mentioned:
    - No hail?
    - No rain FX on puddles when it rains
    - No rain dripping off umbrellas and roofs
    - No icicles on the roofs in winter
    - No snow depth
    - Puddles disappearing as soon as it stops raining

No, when it comes to details it's the Sims 3 for me.

However before people start moaning and groaning; that doesn't mean the Sims 4 Seasons is a BAD pack, it just could have been much better imo.

My general complaint with the Sims 4 and its packs is that they seem to focus on one 'big' feature, which is obviously the calendar this time. The calendar is a nice addition, but I think they could have focused much more on seasonal activities outside of the house.

Isn't it weird they didn't touch pools at all? Probably they will come out with a (Pool) Stuff Pack(s) to deliver the rest of the activities.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited June 2018
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’m starting to become curious for this pack, because it seems like everybody is very positive and enthousiastic about it.

@jackjack_k This for instance makes me curious:
    The Sims 3 focused too much on Festival gameplay objects which left almost none for everyday gameplay. If you didn’t play with Festival objects, there wasn’t really a lot about Seasons that impacted day to day life as much as 4
    I always figured Seasons would be an atmosphere like pack rather than a gameplay pack. Like you say, the festivals you only use every now and then, they’re not something that affects your sims daily. Weather in the game does though. When it starts raining or snowing or there’s a thunderstorm, I’m always surprised when I look outside and the sun is shining. I sometimes turn off rain for this reason because it can really bring me down. The weather in the game influences me and also my sims. So I’m curious, in what way does the TS4 pack influence your sims in a day to day manner that sets it apart from predecessors?

A p.s. by the way: whenever people start praising the current team in a comparison thread, giving them kudos for their great job, it feels as if they are slating the work of previous teams (quite often the same people). I don’t know Sims 4’s Seasons so I cannot compare, but I’d like to leave my huge appreciation for the beauty and variety of Sims 3’s Seasons here to those devs who it may concern. I love what it added to my game and I think they did a great job with that pack as well. Sims 3 was Sims 3, Sims 4 is Sims 4.

ETA:
    At this point, it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. They both have their good points.

Now if you ask me which one I actually play, that'll be TS4 Seasons, and I can definitely share with you why that is! I enjoy the focus on the sims and the family via the customizeable holidays. Children have a lot of ways to participate, and I like that. They feel like active members of the household with crafts and activities that they can actually do to contribute to holiday preparation. Even toddlers have holiday goals that include them in the holiday process. I really like that, it breathes life into the various life states and makes my simming heart happy.
    I very much enjoy the aesthetics of Sims 4 Seasons, too. The shimmering heat in the sweltering summer, gently falling leaves of fall, the insane thunderstorms (really impressed by those, actually), brutal winter blizzards that send sims slipping and falling on the streets, and the gentle breezes and bright colors of spring. How the environment gradually changes between them, is really impressive to be honest. It gives everything new life, and I find myself snapping pictures of mundane locations that previously held no appeal to me, simply because they are so visually different and thus more interesting with the addition of seasons.
    I actually think this might answer my question :)

Take away the Festivals and you have a few activities based on the Season and that’s pretty much it. A lot of the holidays in Sims 3 Seasons are just Festivals or a day off. There’s no gameplay around these days but the game will tell you why you got a day off and leaves you to do the rest.

Sims 4 Seasons has holidays with NPC’s that change how Sims behave on these days. Or random holidays that change the structure of the normal day for players that come randomly. The calendar really makes sure that everyday is thought of and people are just playing a whole week on fast forward trying to think of something to do.

The way that Gardnening and Bee keeping work really affect how the household runs day to day. The fact Christmas is a proper holiday with Father Winter, creates excitment through the whole year,

Travelling to different places affects the climate.

It is really hard to explain, but takeaway the festivals and there’s not a huge variety of gameplay outside of the actual weather.

My only complaint though as I feel more could have been done with fruit and veg. Jam Making or more recipes would have been ideal. A gardening overhaul that mostly focuses on flowers annoys me slightly haha
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    Yeah I think that was another thing that annoyed me about ts3 seasons was that if you took away the festivals you didn't have much. Holidays revolved mostly around festivals and the stuff you did at home felt boring but all the stuff that revolved around festivals is what made the pack more entertaining because you had a lot to do.

Ts4 seasons doesn't have as much activities but holidays are more detailed but I do wish that they had added more traditions but I guess since most activities fall under some tradition it's really up to you what you do to fulfill the tradition.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Tapio75 wrote: »
    I find the Sims 4 seasons looking just fine, but compared to Sims 3 seasons its pretty poor if you just look at the weather effects. Winter is big disappointment due the lack of snow depth. The snow color and all that looks great, but the fact that snow is just "painted" on surfaces makes it look meh and makes me frown and want to go back to Sims 3 winter. Spring, autumn aand sumer are all good. I just wish the weather effects be more realistic. For example when it rains, the Sims should get wet and the feet should make splash of water like in in Sims 3. Water should pour down the roof like in Sims 3. It feels more cosmetic right now, an overlay if you will rather than actuaöl weather.
    Sims do get wet in 4 and there are water splashes as they walk. All bodies of water also get hit with the raindrops.
    Yup and if they get wet they complain. :joy: Though my sims think the house feels like a morgue if I don't have the thermostat so go figure I can never please the little simulated creatures.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Tapio75Tapio75 Posts: 12 New Member
    One other thing i loved in Sims 3, was that the deep snow was actually too deep for my lovely cats. It was so fun when they made their small paths in the snow. Now i have noticed, that the cats leave paw marks on the snow on Sims 4 too, but has anyone else noticed, rthat these are wrongf ways? Like they are not marks IN the snow, but rather objects ABOVE the snow. After i noticed this, the thing has irked me quite a bit.

A would also like the world map reflect on the season and also look more like the world actually looks like in sims 3.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    First of all, I want to start off by saying the open seamless world without loading screens makes gameplay, to me, so much more alive like a life simulation should be. And because of that phenomenal gameplay mechanic, everything is better on a large scale compared to any Sims game to date. I knew TS3 is a game worth all the trouble which is why I'm still playing 9+ years later and on a much better and suitable computer. <3

TS3 Seasons

-Swimming in oceans, lakes, and rivers. Even able to swim in WA locations such as China, Egypt and France. Any body of water is swimmable as long as it not created on a lot using the pond tool. (I wish ponds were swimmable but it also depends on the technology then and/or restraints of the base game engine, time limits, etc. Regardless, being able to swim in most bodies of water is a huge improvement for gameplay.)
    Screenshot-3901.jpg
    (I also love how Sims get a moodlet for joining the polar bear club for swimming in the cold of winter.)

-Slow dancing re-introduced to the series.
    Screenshot-3239.jpg

-Love letters, online dating, attraction system that may or may not be accurate according to the AI.
    Screenshot-3911.jpg

-Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and all the weather effects looks beautiful in the open world. Plus, the festivals and other activities really helps to enrich the gaming experience.
    Screenshot-1514.jpg
    Screenshot-15.jpg
    Screenshot-1976.jpg
    Screenshot-141.jpg
    Screenshot-9.jpg
    Screenshot-794.jpg
    Screenshot-8.jpg
    Screenshot-1176.jpg
    Screenshot-4397.jpg
    Screenshot-75.jpg
    Screenshot-739.jpg
    Screenshot-727.jpg
    Screenshot-895.jpg
    Screenshot-913.jpg
    Screenshot-4298.jpg

There's literally so much more packed into TS3 Seasons.
    https://simsvip.com/sims-3-seasons-guide/

TS4 Seasons

-Shower and play in the rain (Cool but nothing big like swimmable bodies of water.)

-Mud puddles (Cute but those flat textures looks bad and so game breaking for immersion but then again I feel that way about the whole of TS4.)

-The only new interaction I see concerning snow is to shovel snow. (That's nice.)

-New interactions with snowpals. (I'm not fond of talking to snowpals and find it overly silly but that's just me. As some find the imaginary doll/friend to be ridiculous but I like it. )

-Weather/Season options. (I find it odd one has to buy an object in order to change the weather effects/season while it's already in progress. In TS3, one can change whatever element whenever they wanted in the options menu. Though, it would take a little time to gradually change. There is also a weather machine in TS3 Seasons. (Anyway, TS4 Seasons options are horrible for players who love to be in the most control over their games without hurdles to jump over or events/holidays to lose or get moved.)
    Seasons_&_Environment_Options.png

-Pile of gifts with some new interactions.

-Decoration box is new and has new features added. (Not being able to customize decor choices whereas I'm guessing it's already just picked for you is limiting though. Is TS4 not supposed to be better than TS3 in every way or at the very least for the most part?)

-The thermostat sounds useful and a good idea. Not sure if it's implemented decently though but like how it's one of those "optional" things like TS3 laundry.

There's more.
    https://simsvip.com/sims-4-seasons-guide/

Let's see.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5nTGm0j3Q
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aJPJ_rWZJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0hCTyj2Kc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il9mN_Hv4RM

To be honest, there isn't anything about TS4 Seasons that makes me want to play over TS3 Seasons. TS4 is overall extremely underwhelming to me in art style, gameplay and overall immature tone and I couldn't take anything seriously nor even care about the Sims like I had and have with TS/TS2/TS3. I'm an artistic person so I'm quite visually enamored by what I see and have my own preference about what looks good to me or not. So yes, graphics and art style do matter to me and TS4 Seasons takes so many shortcuts in that department that I find it so uninspiring and cheap compared to what The Sims as a whole up until The Sims 3 have strove for both graphically and gameplay wise.

Each iteration wowed me when moving on to the next generation except TS4. Never bothered as I already knew what The Sims was capable of but that's the future now it seems. Oh well, at least I have TS/TS2/TS3. :smiley:

I couldn't agree more. Everything you said is how i feel. I'm not even bothered to get this pack I'm enjoying building my world and seeing an open world's seasons in it.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    filipomel wrote: »
    I find the Sims 4 seasons looking just fine, but compared to Sims 3 seasons its pretty poor if you just look at the weather effects. Winter is big disappointment due the lack of snow depth. The snow color and all that looks great, but the fact that snow is just "painted" on surfaces makes it look meh and makes me frown and want to go back to Sims 3 winter. Spring, autumn aand sumer are all good. I just wish the weather effects be more realistic. For example when it rains, the Sims should get wet and the feet should make splash of water like in in Sims 3. Water should pour down the roof like in Sims 3. It feels more cosmetic right now, an overlay if you will rather than actuaöl weather.

Sims do get wet and their feet do make splashes, there is no rain dripping off the sides of roofs though, not too bummed about the lack of that detail as when I’m playing with seasons in my sims game, I’m watching my sims, not my roofs. :D
    I feel that way whenever people go on about lighting through windows :D
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’m starting to become curious for this pack, because it seems like everybody is very positive and enthousiastic about it.

@jackjack_k This for instance makes me curious:
    The Sims 3 focused too much on Festival gameplay objects which left almost none for everyday gameplay. If you didn’t play with Festival objects, there wasn’t really a lot about Seasons that impacted day to day life as much as 4
    I always figured Seasons would be an atmosphere like pack rather than a gameplay pack. Like you say, the festivals you only use every now and then, they’re not something that affects your sims daily. Weather in the game does though. When it starts raining or snowing or there’s a thunderstorm, I’m always surprised when I look outside and the sun is shining. I sometimes turn off rain for this reason because it can really bring me down. The weather in the game influences me and also my sims. So I’m curious, in what way does the TS4 pack influence your sims in a day to day manner that sets it apart from predecessors?

A p.s. by the way: whenever people start praising the current team in a comparison thread, giving them kudos for their great job, it feels as if they are slating the work of previous teams (quite often the same people). I don’t know Sims 4’s Seasons so I cannot compare, but I’d like to leave my huge appreciation for the beauty and variety of Sims 3’s Seasons here to those devs who it may concern. I love what it added to my game and I think they did a great job with that pack as well. Sims 3 was Sims 3, Sims 4 is Sims 4.

ETA:
    At this point, it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. They both have their good points.

Now if you ask me which one I actually play, that'll be TS4 Seasons, and I can definitely share with you why that is! I enjoy the focus on the sims and the family via the customizeable holidays. Children have a lot of ways to participate, and I like that. They feel like active members of the household with crafts and activities that they can actually do to contribute to holiday preparation. Even toddlers have holiday goals that include them in the holiday process. I really like that, it breathes life into the various life states and makes my simming heart happy.
    I very much enjoy the aesthetics of Sims 4 Seasons, too. The shimmering heat in the sweltering summer, gently falling leaves of fall, the insane thunderstorms (really impressed by those, actually), brutal winter blizzards that send sims slipping and falling on the streets, and the gentle breezes and bright colors of spring. How the environment gradually changes between them, is really impressive to be honest. It gives everything new life, and I find myself snapping pictures of mundane locations that previously held no appeal to me, simply because they are so visually different and thus more interesting with the addition of seasons.
    I actually think this might answer my question :)

Take away the Festivals and you have a few activities based on the Season and that’s pretty much it. A lot of the holidays in Sims 3 Seasons are just Festivals or a day off. There’s no gameplay around these days but the game will tell you why you got a day off and leaves you to do the rest.

Sims 4 Seasons has holidays with NPC’s that change how Sims behave on these days. Or random holidays that change the structure of the normal day for players that come randomly. The calendar really makes sure that everyday is thought of and people are just playing a whole week on fast forward trying to think of something to do.

The way that Gardnening and Bee keeping work really affect how the household runs day to day. The fact Christmas is a proper holiday with Father Winter, creates excitment through the whole year,

Travelling to different places affects the climate.

It is really hard to explain, but takeaway the festivals and there’s not a huge variety of gameplay outside of the actual weather.

My only complaint though as I feel more could have been done with fruit and veg. Jam Making or more recipes would have been ideal. A gardening overhaul that mostly focuses on flowers annoys me slightly haha
    Take away the festivals and you have everything you can do at those festivals, of which in fact a lot was copied for Sims 4 ;) The (roller)skating, football, horse shoe throwing, the kissing booth, the building snowmenpals and igloos, playing with leaves, water balloon and snowball fights, making snow angels, trick or treat, carving pumpkins, splashing in puddles. “Take away the festivals” is like saying “take away the calendar” isn’t it? All the festivals did was organize the content, like the calendar. Just in a different way. And let’s not forget Sims 3 already had a planning/schedule system where it comes to parties.

What do you mean by “people are just playing a whole week on fast forward trying to think of something to do”? That doesn’t really sound recruiting to me if that’s the effect of the calendar ;)

I have decided by the way that I will buy the pack when on sale, because it’s clear it adds a lot of variety and dynamic to the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    First of all, I want to start off by saying the open seamless world without loading screens makes gameplay, to me, so much more alive like a life simulation should be. And because of that phenomenal gameplay mechanic, everything is better on a large scale compared to any Sims game to date. I knew TS3 is a game worth all the trouble which is why I'm still playing 9+ years later and on a much better and suitable computer. <3

TS3 Seasons

-Swimming in oceans, lakes, and rivers. Even able to swim in WA locations such as China, Egypt and France. Any body of water is swimmable as long as it not created on a lot using the pond tool. (I wish ponds were swimmable but it also depends on the technology then and/or restraints of the base game engine, time limits, etc. Regardless, being able to swim in most bodies of water is a huge improvement for gameplay.)
    Screenshot-3901.jpg
    (I also love how Sims get a moodlet for joining the polar bear club for swimming in the cold of winter.)

-Slow dancing re-introduced to the series.
    Screenshot-3239.jpg

-Love letters, online dating, attraction system that may or may not be accurate according to the AI.
    Screenshot-3911.jpg

-Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and all the weather effects looks beautiful in the open world. Plus, the festivals and other activities really helps to enrich the gaming experience.
    Screenshot-1514.jpg
    Screenshot-15.jpg
    Screenshot-1976.jpg
    Screenshot-141.jpg
    Screenshot-9.jpg
    Screenshot-794.jpg
    Screenshot-8.jpg
    Screenshot-1176.jpg
    Screenshot-4397.jpg
    Screenshot-75.jpg
    Screenshot-739.jpg
    Screenshot-727.jpg
    Screenshot-895.jpg
    Screenshot-913.jpg
    Screenshot-4298.jpg

There's literally so much more packed into TS3 Seasons.
    https://simsvip.com/sims-3-seasons-guide/

TS4 Seasons

-Shower and play in the rain (Cool but nothing big like swimmable bodies of water.)

-Mud puddles (Cute but those flat textures looks bad and so game breaking for immersion but then again I feel that way about the whole of TS4.)

-The only new interaction I see concerning snow is to shovel snow. (That's nice.)

-New interactions with snowpals. (I'm not fond of talking to snowpals and find it overly silly but that's just me. As some find the imaginary doll/friend to be ridiculous but I like it. )

-Weather/Season options. (I find it odd one has to buy an object in order to change the weather effects/season while it's already in progress. In TS3, one can change whatever element whenever they wanted in the options menu. Though, it would take a little time to gradually change. There is also a weather machine in TS3 Seasons. (Anyway, TS4 Seasons options are horrible for players who love to be in the most control over their games without hurdles to jump over or events/holidays to lose or get moved.)
    Seasons_&_Environment_Options.png

-Pile of gifts with some new interactions.

-Decoration box is new and has new features added. (Not being able to customize decor choices whereas I'm guessing it's already just picked for you is limiting though. Is TS4 not supposed to be better than TS3 in every way or at the very least for the most part?)

-The thermostat sounds useful and a good idea. Not sure if it's implemented decently though but like how it's one of those "optional" things like TS3 laundry.

There's more.
    https://simsvip.com/sims-4-seasons-guide/

Let's see.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5nTGm0j3Q
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aJPJ_rWZJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0hCTyj2Kc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il9mN_Hv4RM

To be honest, there isn't anything about TS4 Seasons that makes me want to play over TS3 Seasons. TS4 is overall extremely underwhelming to me in art style, gameplay and overall immature tone and I couldn't take anything seriously nor even care about the Sims like I had and have with TS/TS2/TS3. I'm an artistic person so I'm quite visually enamored by what I see and have my own preference about what looks good to me or not. So yes, graphics and art style do matter to me and TS4 Seasons takes so many shortcuts in that department that I find it so uninspiring and cheap compared to what The Sims as a whole up until The Sims 3 have strove for both graphically and gameplay wise.

Each iteration wowed me when moving on to the next generation except TS4. Never bothered as I already knew what The Sims was capable of but that's the future now it seems. Oh well, at least I have TS/TS2/TS3. :smiley:

I couldn't agree more. Everything you said is how i feel. I'm not even bothered to get this pack I'm enjoying building my world and seeing an open world's seasons in it.

I have to agree with that as well.

I was almost putting a list of stuff The Sims 3 Seasons brought to illustrate the lack of overall (Seasonal) activities in Sims 4 Seasons.

They focused on the calendar, and while it is a nice addition, why should it be the main focus of a SEASONS pack? It's beyond me.
    Basic weather effects are missing (like I mentioned a few posts back) and I think that is much more important to a pack such as Seasons.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    BariSaxy wrote: »

The lack of snow depth is a disappointment, but winter as a whole had a heck of a lot of more attention to detail put into it in this game than in The Sims 3 (and The Sims 2). A lot of people may not care and think that winter equates solely to snow, but I have to disagree. The Sims 3's snow effects certainly win in almost every case (The Sims 4 has one edge with blowing snow), but aside from that, if you take away the snow, Winter is actually distinct in The Sims 4, and not just bare trees (which is pretty much all they did to distinguish Winter in TS3).

For example, let me take one of s1mszzang's screenshots from The Sims 4 Seasons Screenshot topic:

xtEmkEB.jpg

If this were The Sims 3, all of the plants there aside from the trees would be the same as they are in the Spring and Summer. They would be green, and if any plants with flowers were present they'd have their flowers. Plus if there were any lily pads? Those would be present in the water, all green and blooming.

Plus, the terrain. The terrain makes such a huge difference to the feel of winter and fall.
    iHMmvS9.png

The funny thing is, the game glitched for a Sim hour or so and the grass turned Spring/Summer green and I couldn't help but that think that is (the plants all still being appropriately dry and brown aside, unlike TS3) exactly what winter looks like in TS3, bare trees with green Spring/Summer grass.

eRvDOBX.png

The differences here are MAJOR. In all honesty, the developers not paying any attention to differentiating non-tree plants for Seasons in TS3 is very much an aesthetic failure that at least comes close to TS4's lack of snow depth. A lot of people don't care, I get it, but Winter is so much more than snow, and TS4 *finally* got that right.

Overall, I feel like most of The Sims 4 Seasons' aesthetic shortcomings are solely because the game itself has those shortcomings. Like the broken ice on the rivers and ponds is neat, but the texture resolution of them is so horrifically low that you have to keep your distance from them for them to look any good... But then again, I think of The Sims 3's plants. They don't look so hot if you get too close to them either.

I've already shown a winter picture with frost on the beach on the first post. It even gets frost in Autumn or even Spring if it's cold enough you will notice the terrain color is different.
    Screenshot-3689.jpg
    Screenshot-4062.jpg

And while not all trees, shrubs and plants are evergreen, I'm pretty sure at least some are. Also, while it is always nice to go the extra mile, on the other hand, water lilies would mainly be found in temperate or tropical locations so when it comes to having a limited time and deciding what to do and focus on...for me, it's not really a big deal. Would be realistic but then that would mean some trees, shrubs and plants would die forever since it is out of its natural climate. Then many would probably complain because not everyone wants that much realism when it comes to not allowing players to use some trees, shrubs and plants even though it's out of its natural habitat.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure the world developers had very specific climates in mind for each world. But, TS3 isn't really about imposing that sort of thing onto players now is it? This is where the "it's a video game" kicks in and not real life so that aspect is not necessarily a bad thing. It just allows more freedom even when it doesn't make any sense. Like toddlers being able to grab food off the counters when I know when babysitting my niece plenty of times she always grabbed a chair or step stool to reach places that were too high if she wanted to get something herself. Now that I find is truly an oversight and makes sense to not want to break immersion for something like that.

Additionally, any TS3 player has the ability to set the weather elements and season(s) appropriately for each world if the want. Though, not to be confused with individually as changing the options is a global feature. But not an issue for those that know how to create separate TS3 folders. Or those that don't mind just switching back and forth.

Moving along, TS3 is way more expansive than any Sims game to date so TS4 should make up for it in some way. Whatever the game engine is capable of.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Sims 3 Seasons:

Spring:
    - Allergies
    - Wildflower picking
    - Kissing Booth
    - Love Tester Machine
    - Spring Dance
    - Horseshoes
    - Rollerskating Rink
    - Egg Hunt

Summer:
    - Face Painting
    - Tanning Booth
    - Sunburns/Tans
    - Swimming in Oceans
    - Diving boards
    - Hot dog eating contest
    - Waterballoon fight
    - Soccer shootouts
    - Pool Floats

Fall:
    - Leaf raking
    - Trick or Treat
    - Pumpkin Carving
    - Bobbing for apples
    - Pie eating Contest
    - Haunted House

Winter:
    - Snowdepth
    - Snowball Fights
    - Iglo Building
    - Snow'pal' building
    - Snow angels
    - The ability to ice skate on frozen lakes
    - Snowboarding

-Aliens (imo much better ones than we have atm in TS4)
    - Online Dating
    - Attraction System
    - Rain dripping off the roofs
    - Rain dripping off umbrellas
    - Icicles hanging on the roofs in winter
    - Rain effects hitting the puddles
    - Puddles don't disappear the moment it stops raining

Ok, did I forgot something?

Now please tell me how Seasons in TS4 offers more content in the EP than the Sims 3 Seasons did.
    We have a nice calendar feature, sure, but as you can see; when it comes to content it's nothing compared to the Sims 3.

And before people start about things such as Horseshoes throwing and Pumpkin carving and all that stuff that IS already in The Sims 4; Remember this all came with ONE expansion pack. Not with 10 different packs.

Feel free to add stuff to this list if I forgot something.

To me it seems very obvious that the budget of Sims 4 packs is much less compared to The Sims 3 Budget.

And that is the problem with this game.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Sims 3 Seasons:

Now please tell me how Seasons in TS4 offers more content in the EP than the Sims 3 Seasons did.

I'm not going to counter with a list of content because for me it's not as simple as listing which pack came with more features. For me it's all about which features provide more enjoyment. I couldn't care less about any of the Sims 3 summer activities but I already love the calendar system in 4 and the fact that as more packs and activities are released we'll be able to celebrate more custom traditions.
  • Options
    Sims 3 Seasons:

I'm not going to counter with a list of content because for me it's not as simple as listing which pack came with more features. For me it's all about which features provide more enjoyment. I couldn't care less about any of the Sims 3 summer activities but I already love the calendar system in 4 and the fact that as more packs and activities are released we'll be able to celebrate more custom traditions.

That's up to you. But there are also people saying that the Sims 3 packs offer less content compared to The Sims 4. Well, in the case of Seasons that isn't true.

You can be happy with a calendar, but that doesn't make my point invalid either.
  • Options
    Sims 3 Seasons:

Spring:
    - Allergies
    - Wildflower picking
    - Kissing Booth
    - Love Tester Machine
    - Spring Dance
    - Horseshoes
    - Rollerskating Rink
    - Egg Hunt

Summer:
    - Face Painting
    - Tanning Booth
    - Sunburns/Tans
    - Swimming in Oceans
    - Diving boards
    - Hot dog eating contest
    - Waterballoon fight
    - Soccer shootouts
    - Pool Floats

Fall:
    - Leaf raking
    - Trick or Treat
    - Pumpkin Carving
    - Bobbing for apples
    - Pie eating Contest
    - Haunted House

Winter:
    - Snowdepth
    - Snowball Fights
    - Iglo Building
    - Snow'pal' building
    - Snow angels
    - Snowboarding

- Online Dating
    - Attraction System

We have a nice calendar feature, sure, but as you can see; when it comes to content it's nothing compared to the Sims 3.

And before people start about things such as Horseshoes throwing and Pumpkin carving and all that stuff that IS already in The Sims 4; Remember this all came with ONE expansion pack. Not with 10 different packs.

To me it seems very obvious that the budget of Sims 4 packs is much less compared to The Sims 3 Budget.

How would you know you don't work for EA and besides I hate TS3 because when I play it I want it to be TS4 and also weather and the entire game runs terrible if you have all the packs CC and Mods to fix the problems.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Sims 3 Seasons:

Spring:
    - Allergies
    - Wildflower picking
    - Kissing Booth
    - Love Tester Machine
    - Spring Dance
    - Horseshoes
    - Rollerskating Rink
    - Egg Hunt

Summer:
    - Face Painting
    - Tanning Booth
    - Sunburns/Tans
    - Swimming in Oceans
    - Diving boards
    - Hot dog eating contest
    - Waterballoon fight
    - Soccer shootouts
    - Pool Floats

Fall:
    - Leaf raking
    - Trick or Treat
    - Pumpkin Carving
    - Bobbing for apples
    - Pie eating Contest
    - Haunted House

Winter:
    - Snowdepth
    - Snowball Fights
    - Iglo Building
    - Snow'pal' building
    - Snow angels
    - Snowboarding

- Online Dating
    - Attraction System

How would you know you don't work for EA and besides I hate TS3 because when I play it I want it to be TS4 and also weather and the entire game runs terrible if you have all the packs CC and Mods to fix the problems.

How would I know? Well just observing the packs and its content. Simple.

And besides you hating or loving the Sims 3/4 that's not up to debate. Love what you love, I just pointed out a very obvious fact by providing a list of content.

Yes, the Sims 3 isn't the smoothest game in the series, it's terrible with every pack installed. It's no secret, but the content is still there.
  • Options

The lack of snow depth is a disappointment, but winter as a whole had a heck of a lot of more attention to detail put into it in this game than in The Sims 3 (and The Sims 2). A lot of people may not care and think that winter equates solely to snow, but I have to disagree. The Sims 3's snow effects certainly win in almost every case (The Sims 4 has one edge with blowing snow), but aside from that, if you take away the snow, Winter is actually distinct in The Sims 4, and not just bare trees (which is pretty much all they did to distinguish Winter in TS3).

For example, let me take one of s1mszzang's screenshots from The Sims 4 Seasons Screenshot topic:

xtEmkEB.jpg

If this were The Sims 3, all of the plants there aside from the trees would be the same as they are in the Spring and Summer. They would be green, and if any plants with flowers were present they'd have their flowers. Plus if there were any lily pads? Those would be present in the water, all green and blooming.

Plus, the terrain. The terrain makes such a huge difference to the feel of winter and fall.
    iHMmvS9.png

The funny thing is, the game glitched for a Sim hour or so and the grass turned Spring/Summer green and I couldn't help but that think that is (the plants all still being appropriately dry and brown aside, unlike TS3) exactly what winter looks like in TS3, bare trees with green Spring/Summer grass.

eRvDOBX.png

The differences here are MAJOR. In all honesty, the developers not paying any attention to differentiating non-tree plants for Seasons in TS3 is very much an aesthetic failure that at least comes close to TS4's lack of snow depth. A lot of people don't care, I get it, but Winter is so much more than snow, and TS4 *finally* got that right.

Overall, I feel like most of The Sims 4 Seasons' aesthetic shortcomings are solely because the game itself has those shortcomings. Like the broken ice on the rivers and ponds is neat, but the texture resolution of them is so horrifically low that you have to keep your distance from them for them to look any good... But then again, I think of The Sims 3's plants. They don't look so hot if you get too close to them either.

I've already shown a winter picture with frost on the beach on the first post. It even gets frost in Autumn or even Spring if it's cold enough you will notice the terrain color is different.
    Screenshot-3689.jpg
    Screenshot-4062.jpg

And while not all trees, shrubs and plants are evergreen, I'm pretty sure at least some are. Also, while it is always nice to go the extra mile, on the other hand, water lilies would mainly be found in temperate or tropical locations so when it comes to having a limited time and deciding what to do and focus on...for me, it's not really a big deal. Would be realistic but then that would mean some trees, shrubs and plants would die forever since it is out of its natural climate. Then many would probably complain because not everyone wants that much realism when it comes to not allowing players to use some trees, shrubs and plants even though it's out of its natural habitat.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure the world developers had very specific climates in mind for each world. But, TS3 isn't really about imposing that sort of thing onto players now is it? This is where the "it's a video game" kicks in and not real life so that aspect is not necessarily a bad thing. It just allows more freedom even when it doesn't make any sense. Like toddlers being able to grab food off the counters when I know when babysitting my niece plenty of times she always grabbed a chair or step stool to reach places that were too high if she wanted to get something herself. Now that I find is truly an oversight and makes sense to not want to break immersion for something like that.

Additionally, any TS3 player has the ability to set the weather elements and season(s) appropriately for each world if the want. Though, not to be confused with individually as changing the options is a global feature. But not an issue for those that know how to create separate TS3 folders. Or those that don't mind just switching back and forth.

Moving along, TS3 is way more expansive than any Sims game to date so TS4 should make up for it in some way. Whatever the game engine is capable of.

Just adding here in Sims 3 shrubs get a frosted look during winter while in 4 they get an awkward white dusting on top while the rest of it is bright green.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited June 2018
    Sims 3 Seasons:

That's up to you. But there are also people saying that the Sims 3 packs offer less content compared to The Sims 4. Well, in the case of Seasons that isn't true.

You can be happy with a calendar, but that doesn't make my point invalid either.

I'm just glad we can all now enjoy Seasons! :) Now excuse me while I check what activities my sims have planned for today.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited June 2018

The terrain color 'changing' for the frost is not comparable. The frost in The Sims 3 is not different from the early stages of snow accumulation. I suppose with flat terrain instead of 3D grass like we have IRL there just isn't any way to properly represent frost and that's the best they could do.

In The Sims 4 Seasons, the terrain itself actually changes for the seasons, making the grass browner for autumn and winter. It's not a temporary frost effect, it's an actual change that lasts throughout the seasons. Underneath the frost in The Sims 3, the terrain is exactly the same throughout all four seasons, and you can see under that frost that the grass is still the same color.
    And while not all trees, shrubs and plants are evergreen, I'm pretty sure at least some are. Also, while it is always nice to go the extra mile, on the other hand, water lilies would mainly be found in temperate or tropical locations so when it comes to having a limited time and deciding what to do and focus on...for me, it's not really a big deal.

IRL Some plants are evergreen, some even flower during the winter. However, those are pretty rare. And I actually researched the plants that EA based their shrubs and such off of and many of them are deciduous. In The Sims 3 absolutely no plants found outside of the trees category except for one single shrub added with Into The Future change for the seasons. It's a major oversight and can not even begin to be excused with "some plants are evergreens", EA just didn't put the time into it, period.

Flowering bushes underneath the snow when the temperatures are near 0 degrees F really ruins my immersion.

UNatsOR.jpg
    Would be realistic but then that would mean some trees, shrubs and plants would die forever since it is out of its natural climate. Then many would probably complain because not everyone wants that much realism when it comes to not allowing players to use some trees, shrubs and plants even though it's out of its natural habitat.

I mean, I'm not seeing anyone arguing for that nor is that a natural extension of what I'm talking about? I mean The Sims 4 is not hyper-realistic in this sense, either. For example the palm trees turn brown during the winter, but they don't die. That is fine by me, and realistic enough. All I've ever wanted was for seasonal details to be put into non-tree plants, so we don't have the silliness of The Sims 2 and 3's completely inappropriate eternally green, flowering plants during the dead of winter.

It also ruins the aesthetic impact of Spring - coupled with the lack of Spring blooming trees which plagues all three Seasons entries - when all of the flowers are always there and everything is always green. It's like the snow is supposed to cover up all of that lack of detail throughout all of winter, but I don't buy it. Winter is more than snow. I live toward the South, I hardly even see snow anymore.
    Not to mention, I'm pretty sure the world developers had very specific climates in mind for each world. But, TS3 isn't really about imposing that sort of thing onto players now is it?

This is another strange excuse. Somehow the climates in TS3 were 'specific' enough to have the non-evergreen trees lose their leaves, yet nothing else - evergreen or not - changes for the seasons at all? Sorry, but I don't see the logic you're going for here at all. I don't think that the changing non-tree plants has anything whatsoever to do with their philosophy here in TS4 to give each world their own climate. It was just a move toward realism. It may not be important to you, and I understand. There is a lot of depth to TS3 Seasons, and I dearly wish these winter details in TS4 Seasons could have all been in it (along with the customizable holidays, calendar, and expanded decorations), because if you add those to TS3 Seasons you have near perfection.
    Just adding here in Sims 3 shrubs get a frosted look during winter while in 4 they get an awkward white dusting on top while the rest of it is bright green.

Um... No? It's actually in TS3 it's where we get the awkward white dusting over bright green plants with flowers. In TS4 they actually turn brown for the later autumn and winter.

You can argue about the quality of the snow accumulation on the plants, I'm not even talking about that, but TS4 actually gets the plants right. If anything is bright green, it's because it is an evergreen.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options

The terrain color 'changing' for the frost is not comparable. The frost in The Sims 3 is not different from the early stages of snow accumulation. I suppose with flat terrain instead of 3D grass like we have IRL there just isn't any way to properly represent frost and that's the best they could do.

In The Sims 4 Seasons, the terrain itself actually changes for the seasons, making the grass browner for autumn and winter. It's not a temporary frost effect, it's an actual change that lasts throughout the seasons. Underneath the frost in The Sims 3, the terrain is exactly the same throughout all four seasons, and you can see under that frost that the grass is still the same color.
    And while not all trees, shrubs and plants are evergreen, I'm pretty sure at least some are. Also, while it is always nice to go the extra mile, on the other hand, water lilies would mainly be found in temperate or tropical locations so when it comes to having a limited time and deciding what to do and focus on...for me, it's not really a big deal.

IRL Some plants are evergreen, some even flower during the winter. However, those are pretty rare. And I actually researched the plants that EA based their shrubs and such off of and many of them are deciduous. In The Sims 3 absolutely no plants found outside of the trees category except for one single shrub added with Into The Future change for the seasons. It's a major oversight and can not even begin to be excused with "some plants are evergreens", EA just didn't put the time into it, period.

Flowering bushes underneath the snow when the temperatures are near 0 degrees F really ruins my immersion.

UNatsOR.jpg
    Would be realistic but then that would mean some trees, shrubs and plants would die forever since it is out of its natural climate. Then many would probably complain because not everyone wants that much realism when it comes to not allowing players to use some trees, shrubs and plants even though it's out of its natural habitat.

I mean, I'm not seeing anyone arguing for that nor is that a natural extension of what I'm talking about? I mean The Sims 4 is not hyper-realistic in this sense, either. For example the palm trees turn brown during the winter, but they don't die. That is fine by me, and realistic enough. All I've ever wanted was for seasonal details to be put into non-tree plants, so we don't have the silliness of The Sims 2 and 3's completely inappropriate eternally green, flowering plants during the dead of winter.

It also ruins the aesthetic impact of Spring - coupled with the lack of Spring blooming trees which plagues all three Seasons entries - when all of the flowers are always there and everything is always green. It's like the snow is supposed to cover up all of that lack of detail throughout all of winter, but I don't buy it. Winter is more than snow. I live toward the South, I hardly even see snow anymore.
    Not to mention, I'm pretty sure the world developers had very specific climates in mind for each world. But, TS3 isn't really about imposing that sort of thing onto players now is it?

This is another strange excuse. Somehow the climates in TS3 were 'specific' enough to have the non-evergreen trees lose their leaves, yet nothing else - evergreen or not - changes for the seasons at all? Sorry, but I don't see the logic you're going for here at all. I don't think that the changing non-tree plants has anything whatsoever to do with their philosophy here in TS4 to give each world their own climate. It was just a move toward realism. It may not be important to you, and I understand. There is a lot of depth to TS3 Seasons, and I dearly wish these winter details in TS4 Seasons could have all been in it (along with the customizable holidays, calendar, and expanded decorations), because if you add those to TS3 Seasons you have near perfection.

Um... No? It's actually in TS3 it's where we get the awkward white dusting over bright green plants with flowers. In TS4 they actually turn brown for the later autumn and winter.

You can argue about the quality of the snow accumulation on the plants, I'm not even talking about that, but TS4 actually gets the plants right. If anything is bright green, it's because it is an evergreen.

I've seen it in a couple of pictures. Not talking about the plants that are part of the environment but the ones placed on a lot. And Sims 3 doesn't leave the plant green, all of the plants are covered in a frost that makes it less green. I placed a bunch of plants a while ago just to test it because some people said the shrubs looked strange in 4 with the snow on top.
  • Options
    I've seen it in a couple of pictures. Not talking about the plants that are part of the environment but the ones placed on a lot.

I see. I've heard that some plants from some packs don't properly adjust with the seasons. I'm sure it's a glitch or oversight that EA will hopefully acknowledge and fix.
    And Sims 3 doesn't leave the plant green, all of the plants are covered in a frost that makes it less green. I placed a bunch of plants a while ago just to test it because some people said the shrubs looked strange in 4 with the snow on top.

That only happens when the weather/temperature is frosty, otherwise they are left exactly the same.

A year ago I was talking to a modder about fixing this issue with TS3 and compiled all of the bushes and shrubs from all packs I own into one screenshot during the winter. It's not a pretty screenshot, but it was just a test image so forgive for me that. Lol. You can see, they are all just like they are any other season:

Qqyzili.jpg

Yes, this was a screenshot from live mode, and yes that is winter. You wouldn't even be able to tell that this screenshot is from winter if I didn't tell you.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Double post. Sorry, the forum was acting up.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Ooh triple post. Sorry!
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    I've seen it in a couple of pictures. Not talking about the plants that are part of the environment but the ones placed on a lot.

I see. I've heard that some plants from some packs don't properly adjust with the seasons. I'm sure it's a glitch or oversight that EA will hopefully acknowledge and fix.
    And Sims 3 doesn't leave the plant green, all of the plants are covered in a frost that makes it less green. I placed a bunch of plants a while ago just to test it because some people said the shrubs looked strange in 4 with the snow on top.

That only happens when the weather/temperature is frosty, otherwise they are left exactly the same.

A year ago I was talking to a modder about fixing this issue with TS3 and compiled all of the bushes and shrubs from all packs I own into one screenshot during the winter. It's not a pretty screenshot, but it was just a test image so forgive for me that. Lol. You can see, they are all just like they are any other season:

Qqyzili.jpg

Yes, this was a screenshot from live mode, and yes that is winter. You wouldn't even be able to tell that this screenshot is from winter if I didn't tell you.

Seems the forums made you post a few times lol

I always play with snow so I've never seen it like that. It is pretty lame but definitely something that doesn't bother me since I can't bare to play without snow. The snow obviously also makes the grass less bright. It is lame they didn't focus on that without the snow but it is what it is now.

I can agree the sims 4 seasons in that aspect looks pretty but I can't say it's a seasons pack that I want at full price. To me the other details and things they left out are just as important while i couldn't care less about the calendar.
  • Options
    Sims 3 Seasons:

Spring:
    - Allergies
    - Wildflower picking
    - Kissing Booth
    - Love Tester Machine
    - Spring Dance
    - Horseshoes
    - Rollerskating Rink
    - Egg Hunt

Summer:
    - Face Painting
    - Tanning Booth
    - Sunburns/Tans
    - Swimming in Oceans
    - Diving boards
    - Hot dog eating contest
    - Waterballoon fight
    - Soccer shootouts
    - Pool Floats

Fall:
    - Leaf raking
    - Trick or Treat
    - Pumpkin Carving
    - Bobbing for apples
    - Pie eating Contest
    - Haunted House

Winter:
    - Snowdepth
    - Snowball Fights
    - Iglo Building
    - Snow'pal' building
    - Snow angels
    - Snowboarding

- Online Dating
    - Attraction System

How would I know? Well just observing the packs and its content. Simple.

And besides you hating or loving the Sims 3/4 that's not up to debate. Love what you love, I just pointed out a very obvious fact by providing a list of content.

Yes, the Sims 3 isn't the smoothest game in the series, it's terrible with every pack installed. It's no secret, but the content is still there.
    The content is there is TS4 also. Its fun with what we have and you may not like all the packs or content but its still playable more so then TS3.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options

I always play with snow so I've never seen it like that. It is pretty lame but definitely something that doesn't bother me since I can't bare to play without snow. The snow obviously also makes the grass less bright. It is lame they didn't focus on that without the snow but it is what it is now.

I can agree the sims 4 seasons in that aspect looks pretty but I can't say it's a seasons pack that I want at full price. To me the other details and things they left out are just as important while i couldn't care less about the calendar.

Well, to each their own. Certainly there are some trade-offs in The Sims 4 Seasons. The thing is for me the attention to detail with the plants and terrain changing is so important that I can actually let things like lack of rain drops falling off of the roof, frost, and even snow depth (although that's a pretty major drawback) go. It's just THAT major for me.

As for the features, certainly The Sims 3 Seasons was more packed in content, but the funny thing is I hardly use any of it, aside from the ability to carve jack-o-lanterns (which is unfortunately locked behind another paywall with TS4), and honestly the ability to have Sims decorate trees for Christmas was very important to me and they added that into this EP, which is super cool.

Trust me, as a much bigger fan of TS3 as a whole, I'm sad to have fallen in love with this pack because I really don't much care for TS4. Somehow EA hit my weak point. >.<
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options

Well, to each their own. Certainly there are some trade-offs in The Sims 4 Seasons. The thing is for me the attention to detail with the plants and terrain changing is so important that I can actually let things like lack of rain drops falling off of the roof, frost, and even snow depth (although that's a pretty major drawback) go. It's just THAT major for me.

As for the features, certainly The Sims 3 Seasons was more packed in content, but the funny thing is I hardly use any of it, aside from the ability to carve jack-o-lanterns (which is unfortunately locked behind another paywall with TS4), and honestly the ability to have Sims decorate trees for Christmas was very important to me and they added that into this EP, which is super cool.

Trust me, as a much bigger fan of TS3 as a whole, I'm sad to have fallen in love with this pack because I really don't much care for TS4. Somehow EA hit my weak point. >.<

Haha i was super into the tree decorating but the animations put me off. I didn't know why but they just look weird to me. It kind of feels to me like that weird play interaction with toddlers.

Haha. I would love to try it but I've learned my lesson. I got pets as soon as i could and i ended up hating it and I love animals so it took a lot to disappoint me.

I hate that they didn't add harvestable pumpkin carving. I love going to the festival lot in 3 with the family and picking the pumpkins to carve at home.

How are you liking the ice skating? I don't they can do a couple skate thing like in 3 but how is it besides that. The ice rinks looks nice.