Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[SEASONS] Not Enough Holiday Traditions

Comments

• Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    @Chazzzy what else do you think they could have added? I don''t have the game yet but irl all i can think to do for holidays is eat, talk, relax, eat more, maybe sports, gifts....

@ListentoToppDogg as far as going to church, I think you can set where to send your sims for that special event you create. So if you have a church in your world you can send your sims there?

I made my church a library (a very appropriate and cute download that I found on the gallery), and I have some bookshelves in there and a podium stand, and the benches that resemble pews, so it kind of mimics the workings of a church, as people sit, read books and listen to lectures. (I have a trait mod that enforces these actions. For now, it works (Had to be creative because my sims needed some church time, lol) o:);)

I was trying ti figure out a good lot type for a church and yeah library works well. Thank you. :)
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I rly don't see why they couldn't implement the system of choosing activities from Get Together.

I mean, they love re-using old content so why not do it when it actually makes sense..?

The few options we have for holiday traditions are all so american. Doesn't hurt to create options for everyone, especially when they don't need to be created from scratch. Everything is already in the game.
  • Options
    Sweeties29Sweeties29 Posts: 47 Member
    Honestly I feel you have to create random holidays as in make up your own for it to work. I personally love the traditions we have but does anyone know how we could make an engagement dinner or event or something? I just want the couple to celebrate, not the entire household.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2018
    Sweeties29 wrote: »
    Honestly I feel you have to create random holidays as in make up your own for it to work. I personally love the traditions we have but does anyone know how we could make an engagement dinner or event or something? I just want the couple to celebrate, not the entire household.

It's probably best to just have them go on a date. They can stay home and make dinner or go to a restaurant. It seems that you can't plan dates in advance, though.
    Post edited by IceyJ on
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    The following need to be added as Holiday Traditions:

Watching Movies
    Anything Dealing With Pets
    Watching TV (more channels)
    Eating Ice Cream
    Cooking (more than just baking or grand meal)
    Rock Climbing
    Bubble Blower
    Kids Playground Equipment

In general we need more specific things
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Watching Movies
    Eating Ice Cream
    Rock Climbing
    Bubble Blower

I agree we need more stuff but why these ? We can already do this durning the holiday we don’t need the game to tell us too. Plus imagine the list if everything was specific. I think we need new ideas we can’t do unless the holiday like watch the groundhog if it sees it’s shadow, parades (rabbit hole ) trick or treat being able to go (rabbit hole) being able to create days where stores have crazy discounts and other things that we can only do on holidays.
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    For those who want a tradition of attending religious services, if you choose "Take a Vacation/Travel," could you not travel to a local lot where you've placed a church/temple/etc. (there are a number on the gallery you can d/l)? The 'travel' tradition can stand in for the 'attend religious service,' and you can customize the building so the sims can fulfill the other traditions of your holiday right there.

If you have City Living, a sim, dressed in appropriate attire, could give a speech/lecture from the lectern. (Not available as a tradition, I know, but still, it'd look right...and if everyone was in the same family club, you could get the satisfaction of earning club points while observing the holiday. The club costume would also ensure that at least some of the people in the building were properly dressed for the holiday!)

Sims could sing together (the choir) if you choose the Art & Music Spirit as a tradition. Downstairs you could have a kitchen & dining room, if you want a grand meal; add a bar if you want drinking as a custom; have a game room if you want games, etc.
  • Options
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Watching Movies
    Eating Ice Cream
    Rock Climbing
    Bubble Blower

I agree we need more stuff but why these ? We can already do this durning the holiday we don’t need the game to tell us too. Plus imagine the list if everything was specific. I think we need new ideas we can’t do unless the holiday like watch the groundhog if it sees it’s shadow, parades (rabbit hole ) trick or treat being able to go (rabbit hole) being able to create days where stores have crazy discounts and other things that we can only do on holidays.

I like the attend ceremony rabbit hole included. They could add another tradition for parades. A tradition that gives discounts when shopping from food carts or retail stores would be nice. We need more traditions for things already in the game.
  • Options
    Tiarella wrote: »
    For those who want a tradition of attending religious services, if you choose "Take a Vacation/Travel," could you not travel to a local lot where you've placed a church/temple/etc. (there are a number on the gallery you can d/l)? The 'travel' tradition can stand in for the 'attend religious service,' and you can customize the building so the sims can fulfill the other traditions of your holiday right there.

If you have City Living, a sim, dressed in appropriate attire, could give a speech/lecture from the lectern. (Not available as a tradition, I know, but still, it'd look right...and if everyone was in the same family club, you could get the satisfaction of earning club points while observing the holiday. The club costume would also ensure that at least some of the people in the building were properly dressed for the holiday!)

Sims could sing together (the choir) if you choose the Art & Music Spirit as a tradition. Downstairs you could have a kitchen & dining room, if you want a grand meal; add a bar if you want drinking as a custom; have a game room if you want games, etc.

I use attend holiday ceremony for my religious holidays.

But for other holidays, I want an actual tradition to add to the holidays. These 47 are nowhere near enough.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I agree we could probably list possibilities for days on what to add for traditions! I hope in the future that they can add a few of your ideas (My mind is blank at the moment. lol) I also hope that the modders can figure out how to add traditions. They could have a field day with this!
  • Options
    Oh and I want a throw a party tradition.
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    loutredor wrote: »
    According to a combinations calculator, making a 5 tradition holiday with 46 options to choose from, apparently there are....

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

Maths can be so useful at times.

edit: someone double check this for me. I find it hard to believe lol

Haha I can't believe you took the time to do the maths! X) It does sound like a lot but concretely there are traditions that you are probably never going to pair together. I can't imagine any context in which you would want to watch sports while wearing a costume and lighting a menora for instance :D
    I wonder, does order have an impact on the way you calculated those combinations though? What I mean is, if you want to calculate the number of combinations for a code, 1 2 3 is definitely different than 1 3 2. But for the traditions, the order doesn't matter. So imagining traditions are numbers, holiday 12345 and holiday 12354 (and all the other possible orders in which those first 5 traditions could be) are actually the exact same holiday. Anyway I don't know if you took it into account, just asking out of curiosity. X)
    I haven't done maths in... A while!

heck your rules B)@loutredor

0a7b568b15ed2375bd550bd443eb0c51.png

So I did a bit of digging after I read this, seems like whoever ran the original calculations used permutations, running a calculation for unique combinations is different. I don't understand it I just found a calculator online that figured it out.

The number of unique combinations of traditions you have if you have CL is 1533939, and the number if you don't is 1370754
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    While we may need more traditions, I don't think we need every activity as a tradition. Then the lines get blurred between clubs and holidays. I think the dev team picked things that are typical for existing holidays in RL and added that. I can't think of any RL holiday that has "Watch Movies".
  • Options
    alan650111 wrote: »
    I agree we could probably list possibilities for days on what to add for traditions! I hope in the future that they can add a few of your ideas (My mind is blank at the moment. lol) I also hope that the modders can figure out how to add traditions. They could have a field day with this!

Yep definitely waiting for more either from developers or modders at this point!
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    While we may need more traditions, I don't think we need every activity as a tradition. Then the lines get blurred between clubs and holidays. I think the dev team picked things that are typical for existing holidays in RL and added that. I can't think of any RL holiday that has "Watch Movies".

yes, but then again - they are A LOT of holidays and different tradition world wide.
    where I live, we have something called book month. not really a holiday per-say, but it is a thing. and I CANT create it because reading books/buying books aren't on the tradition list.
    its really great they added stuff they thought were inclusive. but...its not THAT inclusive, and maybe they can add bunch more though updates.

-Yarden.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Yardenro wrote: »

yes, but then again - they are A LOT of holidays and different tradition world wide.
    where I live, we have something called book month. not really a holiday per-say, but it is a thing. and I CANT create it because reading books/buying books aren't on the tradition list.
    its really great they added stuff they thought were inclusive. but...its not THAT inclusive, and maybe they can add bunch more though updates.

Exactly. I can’t even make a holiday to celebrate my pets for example.
  • Options
    mike6210mike6210 Posts: 2 New Member
    They need a snowball fight, build a snowman, make a snow angel tradition and to name it snow fun or something.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited June 2018
    The list for club activities was updated to include seasonal activities like ice and roller skating, and snow activities. I glanced at it briefly so I am going to take another look at it. It might make sense to make a club that celebrates the holidays. Create your holiday then invite the club members. Wouldn't that add more activities which are also relevant to holidays? As well as giving club points? I believe using the club system in tandem with custom holidays might flesh out the whole holiday experience. And maybe all my invited quests would stay longer being as they can't leave until someone ends the club meeting.

The families I am playing right now have one or two clubs and most of the families are related in some way. A few others are BFFs of family members. I was actually using the club system as a way to bring family members together for things like visiting the park, then having a BBQ. The only part of the 'inviting guests' portion is the fact no one stays as long as I would like. Adding the club dynamic might be a way to get around having holiday guests taking off as soon as the Grand Meal has been consumed. And none of them stayed behind to help with the dishes. :/
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Well I think a lot of people throw parties for the holidays and that is not an option. If the invited guest included party guests I would be fine with that but it doesn't seem to be completing the tradition unless I call them one by one. As for watch movies, I wanted my sims to watch horror flicks on spooky day but I can't add it as a tradition :(
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    keekee53 wrote: »

Well I think a lot of people throw parties for the holidays and that is not an option. If the invited guest included party guests I would be fine with that but it doesn't seem to be completing the tradition unless I call them one by one. As for watch movies, I wanted my sims to watch horror flicks on spooky day but I can't add it as a tradition :(

Yea they only did Sports TV and Romance TV traditions for some reason
  • Options
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    The list for club activities was updated to include seasonal activities like ice and roller skating, and snow activities. I glanced at it briefly so I am going to take another look at it. It might make sense to make a club that celebrates the holidays. Create your holiday then invite the club members. Wouldn't that add more activities which are also relevant to holidays? As well as giving club points? I believe using the club system in tandem with custom holidays might flesh out the whole holiday experience. And maybe all my invited quests would stay longer being as they can't leave until someone ends the club meeting.

The families I am playing right now have one or two clubs and most of the families are related in some way. A few others are BFFs of family members. I was actually using the club system as a way to bring family members together for things like visiting the park, then having a BBQ. The only part of the 'inviting guests' portion is the fact no one stays as long as I would like. Adding the club dynamic might be a way to get around having holiday guests taking off as soon as the Grand Meal has been consumed. And none of them stayed behind to help with the dishes. :/

OMG YES I forgot about that too. They never stay long enough which is why I throw the party.
  • Options
    There needs to be a Woohoo tradition added!
  • Options
    Lexx223Lexx223 Posts: 27 Member
    I hope that over time they'll add more traditions, especially as more content is released. I feel like it's far too much of an open ended idea for it to not receive any other additions in the future!
  • Options
    brightbluecitylightsbrightbluecitylights Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Chazzzy said:
    > Yardenro wrote: »
    >
    > Pegasys wrote: »
    >
    > While we may need more traditions, I don't think we need every activity as a tradition. Then the lines get blurred between clubs and holidays. I think the dev team picked things that are typical for existing holidays in RL and added that. I can't think of any RL holiday that has "Watch Movies".
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > yes, but then again - they are A LOT of holidays and different tradition world wide.
    > where I live, we have something called book month. not really a holiday per-say, but it is a thing. and I CANT create it because reading books/buying books aren't on the tradition list.
    > its really great they added stuff they thought were inclusive. but...its not THAT inclusive, and maybe they can add bunch more though updates.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Exactly. I can’t even make a holiday to celebrate my pets for example.

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but icemunmun on MTS has created some pets-related holiday traditions
  • Options
    GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    I also found spa day related traditions somewhere.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/