Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Life Spans

What life spans do you all have set?
I'm currently on normal, and I'm finding it just a touch long for the way I like to play with the generations, but short could possibly be too short.
Shame we don't have the option to set it as we like, like with TS3
MLgj4Vx.png

Comments

• Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    Aging on.
    Aging off.
    Aging off more than on. This way I don't feel like I need to be in a hurry to get my sims married and have families. I get to play through and enjoy the content.
    I would like to set age spans but right now that isn't possible so this is the only I can think of to get around it.
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,658 Member
    edited May 2018
    So with aging off, do you age up with the birthday cake when you feel like it?
    I've never even thought of that option. How does it actually work from birth to death - or is it more that you create your sim at say, young adult, and it stays that way until you've had enough?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    MelsieYTMelsieYT Posts: 289 Member
    I find Normal lifespan too short, and the Long lifespan excessively too long. So I have MC Command Center downloaded, which allows you to play with the lifespans. I play with these settings:

Baby: 2 days
    Toddler: 10 days
    Child: 15 days
    Teen: 15 days
    YA: 33 days
    Adult: 33 days
    Elder: 15 days

For the most part, the childhood stages aren't too far off, I only added a couple days to the Normal lifespan, but I added about a week to the YA and Adult stages so I get a bit more flexibility - they don't have to get married and pop out babies right away. If they have their kids in the middle of their YA stage then they will be able to see their kids grow up before turning into elders.
  • Options
    I do age up with the birthday cake if I don't want anyone else in the house to age up. If I want the whole house to age at a certain rate I turn it back on and play them until they age up or until elder death. If aging is on and I'm not ready for one of my sims to age I turn it back until I am ready. If it is one YA sim I usually don't turn aging on until they meet their spouse and get married. They two grow older together. I usually do not have my sims have children until they about a 3 or 4 days from becoming an adult. Then they have their first kid and I turn aging off so they can raise their toddler. When I am ready for the toddler age up I turn aging on and let them age into a child. Aging off. I like the children to enjoy being children. Most of the time it takes me a long time to get to get through the generations. Also, my sims rarely have more than 1 or 2 children.

I also made a "senior living facility" where I move my elders if I get tired of them being in the family home. Then I play a group of elders until they die. They nap a lot, drink a lot of coffee, and read. They're an interesting bunch of sims.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I have a nursing home for the neighbourhood elders, but I keep my elders in the family home as I don't want them dying before I can get their urn for the graveyard.
    On TS3 I had elders living just for 2 days, as I get bored of them - sounds harsh, but they're just living too long when I want to concentrate on the younger ones growing up.
    Interesting though to see what everyone else is doing.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    MelsieYT wrote: »
    I find Normal lifespan too short, and the Long lifespan excessively too long. So I have MC Command Center downloaded, which allows you to play with the lifespans. I play with these settings:

Baby: 2 days
    Toddler: 10 days
    Child: 15 days
    Teen: 15 days
    YA: 33 days
    Adult: 33 days
    Elder: 15 days

For the most part, the childhood stages aren't too far off, I only added a couple days to the Normal lifespan, but I added about a week to the YA and Adult stages so I get a bit more flexibility - they don't have to get married and pop out babies right away. If they have their kids in the middle of their YA stage then they will be able to see their kids grow up before turning into elders.

Wow! Mine is the same except I have 3 days for baby and 17 for elder! I realize if I'm really into my sim/family that this lifespan goes too fast but when I'm bored it goes too slow. lol. No win.
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited May 2018
    Most saves I play are on long. Unless it's a save for a challenge or my one legacy family that I actually play instead of giving up on them after a few generations as I usually do, then it's set to normal. I've never played a save on short lifespan or with aging turned off.
    Post edited by thatsnotsweg on
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    I would like to set age spans but right now that isn't possible so this is the only I can think of to get around it.

If you use mods, you do it with MC Command Center.
  • Options
    Maggiedoll wrote: »

@Maggiedoll Yeah, I am aware of this. I have tried MCCC but wasn't wowed by it at the time. It has a bit of a learning curve. Also, I have several mods that aren't compatible with it so I don't mess with it. Perhaps after it is updated after Seasons. Great suggestion though especially for those that weren't aware of this.
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    Maggiedoll wrote: »

@Maggiedoll Yeah, I am aware of this. I have tried MCCC but wasn't wowed by it at the time. It has a bit of a learning curve. Also, I have several mods that aren't compatible with it so I don't mess with it. Perhaps after it is updated after Seasons. Great suggestion though especially for those that weren't aware of this.
    Now I'm wondering what mods conflict with it.

It does have a learning curve, but I think that's impossible to avoid with anything that has a lot of features, and you can generally start using the specific features that attracted you to it without giving much thought to everything else. It does lots of things, but you don't have to use all, or even most, of them.

And in my pseudo-defense, I replied to your post before actually reading the other replies that said the same thing..
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I play a lot of challenges and most of them require playing on the normal life span, so that's what I play. But, if I'm just playing my own 'challenge' or a random save, 'just because,' I turn aging off. Sometimes even when playing a challenge that requires a certain life span, I'll still turn aging off. This scenerio usually happens when I get attached to a Sim and can't bear to see them get old and die.

I think 'normal' is a pretty good lifespan, I just wish it was a teensy bit longer. The 'long' lifespan is WAY too long for me and 'short' is definitely too short. I don't age up any of my Sims early if I have aging on, I just go along with the set cycle of days. I don't use MCC so no option to customize lifespans. I'd love that! Maybe one day... :)
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    i use long. but it is a bit too long for my tastes. normal is way too short for me.
  • Options
    TheSimsMagsterTheSimsMagster Posts: 5 New Member
    @Maggiedoll I'm a Maggie too! Lol, but I agree about the lifespans they need to be like Sims 3, similar to so many other things
  • Options
    PinkabluPinkablu Posts: 18 Member
    Honestly I change the lifespan depending on how I feel about the family. For the first time since I don't even know when (probably as far back as when I played Sims 3) I turned off aging entirely because I'm really fond of my current sims. They're all based off of my and my girlfriend's original characters, so it's fun to see them interact and romance each other!

I didn't want to watch them get old and die on me before I really got to have fun. Plus, a few of the characters are meant to be rich but I like earning my way up. So I plan to wait on aging until they get to that stage in life...then I'll probably make a new save where they age and keep the one that doesn't xD

Otherwise I change lifespans with MC Command Center. Usually around 33 days for YA/A. But like I said, I'm always changing it depending on my mood uwu
  • Options
    As of today I've written down each life stage as I have it set for TS3, and when my Sims reach that point, I'm aging them up with the birthday cake. I can't alter my elders unless I kill 'em off, which I'll only do if they become too annoying.
    I really don't want to add mods to my game.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    AspenSimsAspenSims Posts: 603 Member
    I play on long and age sims up when I feel like it
  • Options
    MelsieYTMelsieYT Posts: 289 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Wow! Mine is the same except I have 3 days for baby and 17 for elder! I realize if I'm really into my sim/family that this lifespan goes too fast but when I'm bored it goes too slow. lol. No win.

Nice!! But yeah I agree, some generations can be more exciting than others to play, and I do find some life stages a bit more tedious, like those last days of teenagehood. I just want them to be YA already so I can get them married and make more babies!

Also when all of the kids are really young (specifically when you've got 2+ toddlers at the same time and no teens or grandparents to help out, which is my current situation now since my new legacy founders are still in the early stage of creating their family.

• Options
    gabriellegabrielle Posts: 260 Member
    I always play on long and age them up when it’s time for them to... I like spending lots of time with each of my families!
    tumblr_mn9sw7o3jo1r0f8vho1_500.gif
  • Options
    MelsieYT wrote: »
    aaronrulz wrote: »

Nice!! But yeah I agree, some generations can be more exciting than others to play, and I do find some life stages a bit more tedious, like those last days of teenagehood. I just want them to be YA already so I can get them married and make more babies!

Also when all of the kids are really young (specifically when you've got 2+ toddlers at the same time and no teens or grandparents to help out, which is my current situation now since my new legacy founders are still in the early stage of creating their family.

This is my point exactly. I have though began to make my elders look more appealing, like putting sunglasses on them to hide their baggy eyes - in fact one of my male sim elders now looks like Ozzie Osbourne! :D - NOT that he's appealing! :o
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    MonkorpioMonkorpio Posts: 18 Member
    I have MCCC, so I put custom ages on all of mine. Normal feels way too short for the Young Adult and Adult life stages, while Long is just too...long.
    My current settings are -
    B - 2
    To - 6
    C - 14
    Te - 14
    YA - 33
    A - 50
    E - 20
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I gave up a while back. What I usually do is turn off aging, until I'm ready for people need to move up to the next level of their life span. I get a little attached to the neighbors as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Mine are
    B - 2
    T0 - 3 (depending how I feel and how demanding they become)
    C - 5
    TE - 10
    YA - 20
    A - 20
    E - 10, with TS4 as there's no other option - unless to kill them, but with TS3 it was 2.
    It all looks quite short compared to other peoples, but they get done what they have to, and move onto the next generation.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Most of the time I play on Normal Lifespan. I use the Long one when I'm in save files that have to do with challenges or particular storylines. The Normal Lifespan works pretty smoothly for me as I've got enough time to complete my Sims' Aspirations, max their skills and give them some time to start a new family and raise their children. I can't wait for the Seasons EP to arrive!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I couldn't wait for Seasons, then when it was announced I was unsure I wanted to chance adding it in case it created performance issues, but now decide I have to have it. I love seasons on TS3 so it's a must have on 4!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    @Maggiedoll pseudo defense not needed B) Sincerest of apologies if what I wrote came off wrong. I really do think it's a great solution for a lot of things this game doesn't have. MCCC has saved the game for a lot of people. And I downloaded a few mods from littlemssam that have a version that isn't compatible with MCCC. She has 2 versions of the mods but I downloaded the not compatible version because I didn't have it and well...I wasn't sure if it would still work if I downloaded the compatible version. Anyway, probably more of an explanation than needed. :D

I am interested in seeing how Seasons addresses this issue. In 3 I set my sims aging to be compatible with the seasons. So if I had a baby born in the spring they didn't age into a toddler until the next spring and I counted it as 1 Sim year. I hope we can set the amount of days for each season.