Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Got a new laptop. Sims 3 with this kind of laptop?

victoriae350victoriae350 Posts: 342 Member
Greetings friends! Sorry if this is in the wrong spot! :) I recently obtained a Acer Aspire 5 with a Intel Core i5 8th generation, 1.6 ghz with turboo boost that can push up to a max of 3.4, and Nvidia GeoForce mx150 (i was told it was equivalent if not better than a 940) video/graphics with 2GB of dedicated memory. The chart explaining how things work overwhelms me because there's so many games and processors on the chart. How well will the sims 3 + all expansions work with a laptop with these specs?

Edit: I'm currently downloading the sims 3 + expansions to see for myself ^^
Post edited by victoriae350 on

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    The GeForce MX150 is a rename (or just a different name) for a GT 1030. This is a new but lower end card and yes, arguably equivalent to a GT 940 or 940M. None of them are good choices for running the entire game with all EPs. These cards don't have the throughput (bandwidth, if you will) required for graphically intense games and will tend to choke up on things eventually, more so for some players than others.

In the 1000 series, we generally say that the GTX 1050 and higher would be where the entire game can be carried.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    Sorry for jumping in, but any thoughts/experiences with the 8th gen CPU? I know it's still not one for gaming, but I've had my eye on the acer nitro 5 spin, which has the same CPU but with a gtx 1050.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    dorcsyful wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in, but any thoughts/experiences with the 8th gen CPU? I know it's still not one for gaming, but I've had my eye on the acer nitro 5 spin, which has the same CPU but with a gtx 1050.
    They certainly look nice, as do the specs on the one I found with the 1050, but I'm seeing more quality control issues with these Acer Nitro models than one might expect from an upper end laptop. I could be looking in the wrong places for reliable reviews though. Honestly, some "customers" on Amazon are clearly not really customers and making stuff up to write about, and some will complain bitterly about trivial things or claim to not know how buying a new computer even works-- example, the hard drive lasted two days before failing so the entire computer is garbage, when of course the correct thing to do is return/exchange it as faulty hard drives can happen to anyone on any model of anything.

It's possible that it's too soon for the more reliable reviews to have been posted in any great quantity or again I'm looking in the wrong places. I don't use a higher end laptop myself though unless you count my MacBook Pro and always have to rely on others to describe their experiences. The CPU itself is probably fine.

@phoebebebe13 @SimplyJen - What do you guys think, thumbs up or down?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2018
    On the Acer Nitro 5 spin? Reviews are sparse no matter where you look. Agreed, too soon for reviews is my guess. Yeah, I don't count Amazon reviews too much either.

Reviews report a 5400RPM HDD which isn't too fast when you consider the 7200RPM standard ideally for HDD these days. Reviews for this also report people were able to swap in an SSD. Reviews say the speakers aren't great either and tend to have audio issues in general but that updating the drivers helps a little.

I found a video review for one of the other Acer Nitro 5 spin models w/ a GTX 1050ti. One of the things he mentions is the cooling design isn't great. It would be wise to use a cooling pad with this laptop. There may be a few more video reviews out there too, I didn't look very far.
    https://youtu.be/MDapV6EE2_w
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    Okay then, I'll see if there are other models similar to this with the same price category. If not I'll get something with an mx150 and learn to live with it. Thanks for your help and sorry for the late reply, work has been crazy. :)
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited April 2018
    @igazor @SimplyJen In general I have left reviews on Amazon. You need to look for posts that state "Verified purchase". If the review states Verified Purchase, it's a person who has actually bought the product and left a legit review for others.

@dorcsyful I would be careful of the MX150. If I'm not mistaken we have helped a few people with that card and the game does not run well on it. You need a 1050 or better

@victoriae350 That processor is weak and the card is below requirements. This game requires desktop hardware. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. You need a more powerful gaming laptop to equal the requirements on desktop. I dont see the "Whole Game" running well on the laptop you bought or it will run into issues as your saves get larger. Can you return that laptop and get something better? One of us that helps in tech can help you find a better laptop if you post your budget and country.

Also this Acer Aspire 5 laptop only has a 256 gb ssd installed. That is too small a hard drive to have this whole game on. You will run out of hard drive quickly , running the game, windows and other programs. You need to leave 50 gb hard drive space free for this game. You need 500 gb hard drive space or more to game on