Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fear of starting a Youtube Channel

So, I have a youtube channel with 40 subscribers, not that many but ya know, some. I'm really scared of posting videos because of some of the people in my class are subscribed and make fun of me for the content I make. I don't want to start from scratch, but I also don't want to be ridiculed because of something I'm passionate about. Do any of you have ideas on how to help me and others in fear of putting our content online? If so please inform us. Also please feel free to advertise your channels! Here's mine ---->

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4e3A5WHKjAEcvZfIW4rdvg/

Comments

• Options
    KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    It sucks that people in your class do that and it says more about them than it does you. People can be so cruel and I'll never understand why - but know that you're not alone in your passion and that there is nothing uncool about being passionate! The world needs more people like you.

If you really don't want to start from scratch, then perhaps you could try and just post the videos anyway. If people are mean to you about it, then they're the real losers, not you. I know it's tough though, especially if you're in school. If it's really worrying you, then creating another channel under a different name could be an idea.

I was bullied in school, also for being passionate (but about music). It bothered me but I never stopped doing what I love. These days, all of the people who bullied me are unhappy and they're ultimately fools because they're not being their true selves. Just remember that their attitude doesn't reflect on you at all, anybody who makes fun of somebody for being passionate isn't even worth worrying about. :)
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I would say to just ignore your classmates and do as you please, but I know that ignoring the opinions of others isn't realistic advice for most people. Being ridiculed can really drag you down and eventually make you hate doing something that you loved. Honestly, I would just start over and keep the new channel anonymous, because 40 subs really isn't that many. (last time I checked I have like 500 and I've never even made any videos??? Don't know why/how that happened but whatevs)
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    PinklixtyPinklixty Posts: 37 Member
    Well, just do what you really want to do. If you really want to do it than go do it! Also, don't listen to what your classmates have to say, if you are really scared that your classmates will try to make fun of you and post rude things, than just make a new channel and don't tell anyone in your school about it. They would never find out unless someone was snooping or you told them. But honestly just do it, when you're famous and have lots os subscribers than they will all regret it!
  • Options
    MoonBaby0803MoonBaby0803 Posts: 34 Member
    I understand how you feel. I love playing the Sims and so I just decided to research more let's plays and come up with ideas for my own sims 4 channel but it's very sadening when my own fiancee dosent like it all that much and even told me a week after getting it for me that he regreted it! And he got it because I was so depressed waiting for his job to finally hire me and now I'm fired and jobless and alittle depressed so why not try and get out of it? Do that lol. Don't care what others think, just have fun. I play because it makes me happy and my brain to busy to be depressed most times and I'm very shy so I'm hoping a channel might bring me out alittle more. At least socially xD.
  • Options
    NovaBelladonnaNovaBelladonna Posts: 58 Member
    It's very likely that all those subscriptions are people you know in real life if you haven't posted any videos on your channel yet. I've got one video and no subs and couldn't imagine subscribing to someone I don't know with no videos. So if you don't think any of them are interested in your channel content and they're stopping you from posting there then what's the point of having the channel? I'd just start again and not tell anyone about it - but I prefer RL and YT to be seperate. If you don't want to keep your personal life and youtube life seperate then you need to find your confidence from somewhere, but class mates are mean and I personally wouldn't have wanted anyone at school to know about a youtube account I had (in fact I deleted my youtube account and files of our videos when my "friend" found them out of embarressment, my family have never quite forgiven me (i filmed funny videos with siblings and cousins... and now they're all lost).

What I'm trying to say is that 40 subs from people who knock your confidence and don't care about sims videos is way worse than having 0 subs on an account that no bullies know about. So either way you're pretty much starting from scratch. Unless you've done lots of channel art, but I'm sure you can re-use that. I've told a few people about mine but there's no way I'm giving them links and I've told them not to tell anyone. If they were interested in watching Sims on YT they'd find the video eventually anyway.

The other thing you can do is just machinimas bc you can't see or hear you (look at Rémi Marocelli's Bella Goth one on YT for ideas). I've had a go at a machinima style teaser video (I can't post links yet, but look up Evie Bread 100 baby challenge) and it's not particularly impressive and my video editor and I nearly died making it so they're not easy I guess...

Good luck!
    For a let's play about a vampire who wants to take over the world, check out my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmFyY60q4J0PJNKCePjVG8g
  • Options
    KelzKelz Posts: 53 Member
    I think the idea of starting again might be a good one. The thing to remember is that people can be nasty online. You need to be able to not let what others are saying get to you. Maybe doing this through an anonymous youtube account is a good way to start. It'll give you time to get comfortable, learn the ropes and see how you like making the videos.

Please don't let others ruin something that you want to do. I just stated my own sims series, and so far I think the only one watching them is my husband. But I'm having fun doing them, and that is what counts. I hope that you are able to have fun with these also.
    My Sims Youtube

Find me on the gallery: kelzmckean
  • Options
    rubahlubarubahluba Posts: 138 Member
    I understand how you feel. I haven't even told my own husband about my Youtube channel! It's a huge thing to put yourself out there like that. I wish I could offer some advice as I am struggling with this right now too...even at 25 years old. Just know that you're not alone in feeling some insecurities...just keep doing whatever makes you happy :)
  • Options
    JustineannJustineann Posts: 43 Member
    You absolutely shouldn’t let anyone ruin what you want to do. It’s scary putting yourself out there creatively. I would suggest maybe starting with a fresh channel so you don’t have to worry about your classmates putting you down. Since you don’t have any videos on that channel currently at least you won’t be leaving too much behind.

I also wouldn’t worry too much about sub counts right now. I think you should just have fun with your channel :)
  • Options
    LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    I'd just start one from scratch to be honest.
    I agree that there is absolutely no reason for others to make fun of you, but it can hurt deeply when they do it anyway. So if you want to release new content and do it carefree, just start over and don't let anyone know about it.
    You should stay true to yourself, but it's also important to protect yourself. I know how much harm and pain bullying can cause. Just create something new with all the content you love without having the little voice in the back of your head yelling at you that people will laugh. It will be a lot more fun.