Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Making a hood with everyone you know?

I’ve had this idea that’d it’d be awesome to populate a hood (maybe even build look-alike houses too, If you’re feeling ambitious) with everyone from your real life. Friends, family, maybe even enemies. Give them the appropriate traits, make yourself, move in and watch what drama un-folds between everyone. Maybe your best friend who has had a boyfriend for years, but has commitment issues, cheats on him with a friend you used to work with. IDK. I think it’d just be fun to observe, especially with all the nraas mods available. Has anyone ever done this?

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    This isn't the same thing exactly, but I use my self-sim and that of my NRaas colleagues in the testing labs I have set up for new mods and mod versions. But that's just for testing stuff, the story lines don't go very far.

I can't play myself or people I know in real games, that's too creepy for me. Others really like doing things like this. Although I will say that some sims I've created or that the game has spawned with no help (or not much) from me do sometimes in some ways resemble people I know/knew in real life both in appearance and behavior. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    After trying out a premade just to get the hang of things, I started my first *real* TS3 game with an only slightly modified ss. I found that I was more frustrated than normal when things didn't go the way I wanted, and I also had trouble imagining her aging, having kids (about whom I would have to make some decisions I wasn't ready for), etc. I abandoned that game right after she maxed out her career.

Since then, I've never made any other sims that resemble anyone I know IRL, and I much prefer it that way. I don't have to try to fit my sims into a preexisting box or worry that their trajectories don't match those of their human counterparts. I also like the distance this gives my games from reality. Once, I had been working on a sim family with a bunch of kids, and then I met my brother's new girlfriend, who turned out to have the same name as one of the teens. They even looked a bit alike. It pretty much ruined that save for me.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited March 2018
    The only people that I know that I put in there...are my RL wife (who is an actual Simmer)

http://therealsimmers.blogspot.ca/

Screenshot.jpg

...and several of my closest friends...

Screenshot-3.jpg

and maybe a few TV characters and that's it. And that's only because I have a slight "escapist" Walter Mitty type character. The questions of "What might it be like if I didn't have any money concerns...blah blah blah..."
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I usually put a simself in my games in a household I don't control, and let story progression do it's thing. I like getting various updates on her occasionally wacky life, but I'd feel weird making those decisions for her (me?).
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited March 2018
    My youngest son (now 16) made a YA SS his wife and their dog when he was 14, it was just a fun thing for him to do when he was bored one day. He doesn't play Sims anymore but I have his SS family in every one of my saves. The only other "real" SS I have is my own but she gets rage killed so frequently you're more likely to see her as a ghost! I have named Sims after a few RL people like my now up in heaven grandmother Julia but she doesn't look like her, I just made her because I really think my gram would have gotten a kick out of Sims in general.

A whole neighborhood of Sim RL people I know...no way! I get enough of them on major holidays. ;)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I've added Simselves from people on the Forums. I like seeing their Sims around town and I sometimes add them as NPCs working around town. :)
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I plan to build my house at some point. My simself is just for fun.. I don't play her. I can understand the appeal and it would be fun recreating everything. Playing myself and those I know in RL is not my style so this isn't something I would do personally.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,925 Member
    Whenever I make a new sim, which is more often than I need a new sim for a game, I often struggle at first trying to make this new sim different from any other sims I've ever made before. Since that's what I seem to enjoy doing most with my sims, I tend to subconsciously start making them like someone I've seen somewhere. Often I recognise something in the sim I'm currently working on that reminds me of someone I've seen and then I get really interested in making that sim resemble the other person. I don't think I've ever actually managed to make one who looks recognisably like some real person but there is something of them in the sim. Then when it comes to traits - I tend to give the sims traits that resemble what I think I know of that person. Of course most of my sims don't resemble anyone I know at all - as far and I know - but they could all be copies of someone who I've subconsciously replicated in my Sims game. However, I never set out to make a sim who looks like someone who I know in real life. I'd find that a bit creepy and also I doubt I'd be capable of making a likeness as I'd be too concerned about getting them exactly right and would end up making a mess of it.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Although I love placing my SS in my saves and watching her from a distance and sometimes even adding her to the active household as live-in nanny, there is no way I would make or play sims based on family or friends because it feels wrong to me to play someone else's life without their say so. Because my SS is an elder (like me), she is always immortal. Although I am happy to let my sims age and die, I could never bring myself to do it to her.

I placed @Charlottesmom 's SS in my save a couple of times. Once I married her to one of my beautiful male sims and watched her family grow and shared pics of it with her. That save ended before she got too old and I don't know how I would have felt if she had of died but she would probably have been okay with it since she kills her SS all the time anyway ;) Another time I placed her in town, made her immortal gave her the Consignment Merchant position and just watched her attending parties and making friends from a distance.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited March 2018
    Have only played my SS since the beginning it is what I know,since you cannot light people on fire in RL might as well get my fix in a game.But mostly my sim has adventures with beautiful simmy girls.

R168wlb.png

k6DneS3.png

3m4SM4X.png

LZ2v97b.png

zRYfxJm.png

QdSn6aB.jpg

yd9nKoW.jpg

6OJfUBX.jpg

You have no idea how hard a typical day in the sims 3 is for my Simself

This is a short video of how demanding a 24 hour sim day is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhEikO8YJR8
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    I had a whole town full of my favorite characters from tv shows. It took forever to make them all, and then move them all in and set up their jobs and stuff. But it was pretty cool to watch it play out.

Veronica Mars started dating Jess from Gilmore Girls. And Tom Haverford from Parks & Rec married Rose Tyler from Doctor Who. I wish I could remember more but it was a while ago.

It was fun though! :D
    giphy.gif

• Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    It would be too weird for me to create a sim version of my family and friends. I did have a SS at one point but she wasn't very exciting to play :lol:

I find that while I can vaguely base sims off characters from books or tv, I just can't bring myself to play accurate versions. I prefer playing my own unique sims.
  • Options
    HueyJefeHueyJefe Posts: 127 Member
    I’ve used the first name of someone I know in real life in the game but that’s about it. I think it would be weird to recreate people and have them walking around my neighborhoods lol
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been using my own created sims in my legacy towns and the towns get popilted very slowly over time just like a town does in real life when it's just starting out.I've been doing this in Storybrook County which is my 100 baby challenge set in the 16th century and the town's growing very slowly as crossing the ocean was actually very dangerous in those days.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    That was one of the first things that I did when TS3 was released and I done it in TS2 as well :smile:

It is hard work but fun watching things come into place. The best part was building houses based on the ones that I actually know. My world is full of them :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I made a copy of my real life house a few years ago, so I decided I should make my real life family, at the ages we all were when we first moved here, 25 years ago. I'm no good at making sims look like anybody real, so I asked my now adult kids to make their own simselves for me, as young adults, which I could age down, then give their chosen traits and outfits to when they grew up. Most of them don't really look much like us, but the older of my twin sons' simself looks exactly like him, except for the eyes, which are close, but not quite right. His voice even sounds almost like his real voice. But there's no way I can play him in my own household. It just doesn't feel right. But I've put him into my games as a resident, and he even acts a lot like my son does.
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I think that's a great idea! You can stop migration and populate the whole world with people you know (and neighbours and other people you've met irl). You can even take the service sims into CAS to change them into people from rl, like the mail carrier, repair person, babysitter and the paper boy/girl. :smile:

I could never make close relatives as sims, but that's just my superstitions talking. :blush:
    After trying out a premade just to get the hang of things, I started my first *real* TS3 game with an only slightly modified ss. I found that I was more frustrated than normal when things didn't go the way I wanted, and I also had trouble imagining her aging, having kids (about whom I would have to make some decisions I wasn't ready for), etc. I abandoned that game right after she maxed out her career.

I play my selfsim since 2010 and her now big family. She's still a YA and will never age. Here she is, playing with her great-grandchildren. :sunglasses:

bkdr25v.jpg
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    KATENESS wrote: »
    I had a whole town full of my favorite characters from tv shows. It took forever to make them all, and then move them all in and set up their jobs and stuff. But it was pretty cool to watch it play out.

Veronica Mars started dating Jess from Gilmore Girls. And Tom Haverford from Parks & Rec married Rose Tyler from Doctor Who. I wish I could remember more but it was a while ago.

It was fun though! :D

Now this sounds like a fun idea! :)
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I have never done a world with friends, family and community members. I did, though, make a town filled with houses made by a bunch of amazing builders in the Sims 3 communities and downloaded their simselves as well and put them in their homes. I can safely say it was the most fun I have ever had in a game. To just sit back and watch what happened. I had a long thread posting pictures and updates for quite a while. I hope you have as much fun with your town as I did mine! And maybe see some pictures of yours, too.
  • Options
    SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    I've made my self sim and a few friends before.. but it was honestly very awkward. I felt bad neglecting them bc they were my friends and it's weird when I try to find them partners. Idk.. don't think I'll ever do that again. I do make sims based on rl people though, but I don't play them anymore :).
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    Thought about doing it with a single household containing my sim-self and my family.
    My sim-self was a long enough project that still doesn't look like me, so I figured I'll pass on the idea to create my family members.
    Also I think it would be kind of creepy for me. I don't know, too reflective, in a disturbing way...
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    I’ve had this idea that’d it’d be awesome to populate a hood (maybe even build look-alike houses too, If you’re feeling ambitious) with everyone from your real life. Friends, family, maybe even enemies. Give them the appropriate traits, make yourself, move in and watch what drama un-folds between everyone. Maybe your best friend who has had a boyfriend for years, but has commitment issues, cheats on him with a friend you used to work with. IDK. I think it’d just be fun to observe, especially with all the nraas mods available. Has anyone ever done this?

It doesn't work very well for me ... My friends in real life are boring ... :D

I do capitalize on the opportunities the game offers though.
    I have used self-generated Sims ... Complete with a wide variety of traits, skills, professions and ambitions.

I have 130+ Sims in my library bin that I have played for more than 112 Sim days each.
    They all have their own lives ... And there is enough to completely populate a town.
    That's more fun for me because they are more prone to do insanely inappropriate things ... Or just be "themselves".

Good Luck in Your Endeavors ... Whatever makes it fun for you is what Sims is really all about ... Happy Simming.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    When I played my alphabet legacy on TS2, I downloaded simselves from the forum I was on at the time. So yes, even my simself was in my alphabet legacy. It was kind of strange to play but it was fun. I'm making a simself of me and my boyfriend now in sims3 and my puppies too. :)
    :) Smile!

• Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I used to always make myself and friends of mine, or guys I had crushes on, or current boyfriends but I developed a superstition. It seemed to me to be a correlation between making a sim of someone and them leaving my life ie stop being my friend or break up with me, and so I have not made a sim of anyone I know irl in quite some time.