Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A good, affordable gaming PC?!

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2018
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Like phoebe said, some computers don't include an internal wireless adapter. This connects you to your internet cordless/wireless. You can either get a USB wireless adapter (no hassle - plug in) or install an internal wireless adapter which you would have to pay someone to do... so USB would be the way to go.

If you're ok being directly connected to the modem or router, you buy an ethernet cord (cat5 or cat6) instead of a wireless adapter. The problem is most people have the modem/router located in a different room and the cables may not reach without buying a long cord to stretch across the house. Hope this makes sense.

Yes, that makes sense. Will any wireless adapter do? Or does it need to be a specific one?
    There are different strengths. You also want to make sure it's capable of putting out the speeds you're paying for. This is measured in Mbps... Example, if you're paying for 600 Mbps DL speed (download) then you need to make sure the wireless adapter can put out 600 Mbps or more. More would be future proofing if you ever up your internet plan but defiantly don't go lower than what you're paying for because you will be cutting yourself short. 600 was an example... check your personal internet plan or ask a household member who knows.

It helps me to look at reviews when I'm purchasing something. I would follow this guide to see what fits in your budget and meets your needs: https://www.lifewire.com/top-wi-fi-usb-adapters-2377825 One of a few up to date purchasing guides out there so feel free to Google.
    Awesome! Thank you! Also, if one doesn’t come with a disk drive built in what does that mean? I can’t put games/ CDS in?
    It doesn't have what's called an Optical Drive that you put CDs/DVDs in. Most things are going digital nowadays, unfortunately. Don't worry because you can buy external optical drives. They plug in via USB. At the most... $30 USD depending on where you shop.

Some desktop cases still have an optional slot if the user ever wants to install an internal optical drive but you would need to pay someone to do that.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Like phoebe said, some computers don't include an internal wireless adapter. This connects you to your internet cordless/wireless. You can either get a USB wireless adapter (no hassle - plug in) or install an internal wireless adapter which you would have to pay someone to do... so USB would be the way to go.

If you're ok being directly connected to the modem or router, you buy an ethernet cord (cat5 or cat6) instead of a wireless adapter. The problem is most people have the modem/router located in a different room and the cables may not reach without buying a long cord to stretch across the house. Hope this makes sense.

Yes, that makes sense. Will any wireless adapter do? Or does it need to be a specific one?
    There are different strengths. You also want to make sure it's capable of putting out the speeds you're paying for. This is measured in Mbps... Example, if you're paying for 600 Mbps DL speed (download) then you need to make sure the wireless adapter can put out 600 Mbps or more. More would be future proofing if you ever up your internet plan but defiantly don't go lower than what you're paying for because you will be cutting yourself short. 600 was an example... check your personal internet plan or ask a household member who knows.

It helps me to look at reviews when I'm purchasing something. I would follow this guide to see what fits in your budget and meets your needs: https://www.lifewire.com/top-wi-fi-usb-adapters-2377825 One of a few up to date purchasing guides out there so feel free to Google.
    Awesome! Thank you! Also, if one doesn’t come with a disk drive built in what does that mean? I can’t put games/ CDS in?
    It doesn't have what's called an Optical Drive that you put CDs/DVDs in. Most things are going digital nowadays, unfortunately. Don't worry because you can buy external optical drives. They plug in via USB. At the most... $30 USD depending on where you shop.

Some desktop cases still have an optional slot if the user ever wants to install an internal optical drive but you would need to pay someone to do that.

I still have some of my sims that are actual games, can I use the code on them to download to origin so I don’t have to worry about a driver?

• Options
    edited March 2018

I still have some of my sims that are actual games, can I use the code on them to download to origin so I don’t have to worry about a driver?
    Digital games (like on Origin) will work just fine without the CD/DVD reader. All registered copies either through thesims3.com or Origin will give you a digital copy to use. Make sure to assign them to the account you use. If those codes are used by someone else/secondhand then you will need to purchase a digital copy. Origin will push you to patch 1.69 if you're not already on that patch level. Some people avoid it so that's why I'm mentioning it.

Also, if your games are installed via disk and require such then you will need that optical drive to avoid reinstalling digitally if that's something you're not willing to do.

• Options

Digital games (like on Origin) will work just fine without the CD/DVD reader. All registered copies either through thesims3.com or Origin will give you a digital copy to use. Make sure to assign them to the account you use. If those codes are used by someone else/secondhand then you will need to purchase a digital copy. Origin will push you to patch 1.69 if you're not already on that patch level. Some people avoid it so that's why I'm mentioning it.

Also, if your games are installed via disk and require such then you will need that optical drive to avoid reinstalling digitally if that's something you're not willing to do.

Most go through origin, but like my sims castaway, sims life stories, etc. arent
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    For those, I don't believe you can get them on Origin... The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection you still can but you need to contact EA and ask them to add it. It may take a few reps because they aren't all informed that we can request it. Some proof of ownership of a single physical copy may be required. Base game or pack will do. (usually a photo or code)

Castaway, Sim Life Stories, etc will require the optical drive. Even worse, you may run into issues with Windows 10. Windows 10 hates older games, to say the least without getting technical. If you ask in the Sims 2 section about these older games on Windows 10... Someone may be able to assist you further.
  • Options
    For those, I don't believe you can get them on Origin... The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection you still can but you need to contact EA and ask them to add it. It may take a few reps because they aren't all informed that we can request it. Some proof of ownership of a single physical copy may be required. Base game or pack will do. (usually a photo or code)

Castaway, Sim Life Stories, etc will require the optical drive. Even worse, you may run into issues with Windows 10. Windows 10 hates older games, to say the least without getting technical. If you ask in the Sims 2 section about these older games on Windows 10... Someone may be able to assist you further.

I already have UC in my origin library and have been playing it for years (best free thing I’ve ever gotten) so as long as it stays in there I should be OKAY. And ugh, I heard that. I have Windows 8, and had to change my graphics rule to even get them to work on that, I think I’ve seen threads on how to make them work for Windows 10, too.

Also, I have so many sims cc and mods in my folders, is there a way to transfer them to the new desktop?

• Options
    aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    $700 and gaming pc = impossible

For sims 3 most likely you would need an alienware.
  • Options
    Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    edited March 2018
    @Olivesplum06 you should ask @phoebebebe13 & @chesterbigbird. Post in Sims 3 Help Center.. They are extremely helpful.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • Options
    aujineh wrote: »
    $700 and gaming pc = impossible

For sims 3 most likely you would need an alienware.

Not impossible. @phoebebebe13 found me one for $714 ❤️

• Options
    aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    Awesome then - keep us updated on how it performs :)

I am longing to play sims 3 again with all the worlds and content I bought!
  • Options
    mikkimouse1978mikkimouse1978 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I am having a pc or laptop built for Sims 3 or 4. Would either of these be sufficient for the game

This system would come with Windows 10 Home, a Pentium G4600 processor, 8GB of RAM, A 1TB Hard Drive, and GT 710 Graphics card, with 1GB of Video Memory. This system with this modification's total comes to $651.31. A quote is attached to this email for a Prime with this configuration. For your selection of laptops, the first model with a dedicated graphics card will be an Acer Aspire E15 for $699.99. This Laptop comes with an i5-8250 Processor, 8GBs or RAM, a 256GB Solid State Drive, and a MX150 Video Card.
  • Options
    mikkimouse1978mikkimouse1978 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I am having a pc or laptop built for Sims 3 or 4. Would either of these be sufficient for the game
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

This system would come with Windows 10 Home, a Pentium G4600 processor, 8GB of RAM, A 1TB Hard Drive, and GT 710 Graphics card, with 1GB of Video Memory. This system with this modification's total comes to $651.31. A quote is attached to this email for a Prime with this configuration. For your selection of laptops, the first model with a dedicated graphics card will be an Acer Aspire E15 for $699.99. This Laptop comes with an i5-8250 Processor, 8GBs or RAM, a 256GB Solid State Drive, and a MX150 Video Card.

You cant upgrade a laptop. Any of those specs ou posted do not meet requirements to run the game.

Laptops that can run this game $800-900 and up USD. prices vary in other countries

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Never mind. This is a dup thread
  • Options
    @SimplyJen or @phoebebebe13

Will my sims 2 game saves be linked to origin, so I can play the same hoods and stuff that I have now? Or will I have to start over?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    No , no saved game files will be saved on origin . When you get a new computer you install all the games from scratch. You would need an external hard drive or USB fash drive to transfer your old game saves to a new computer
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Just so you know @aujineh an Alienware computer is not required to play this game and we don't recommend them either. They are overpriced for what you get when there are other reputable gaming brands with reasonable prices. Post in tech when you are ready to buy.

I already have UC in my origin library and have been playing it for years (best free thing I’ve ever gotten) so as long as it stays in there I should be OKAY. And ugh, I heard that. I have Windows 8, and had to change my graphics rule to even get them to work on that, I think I’ve seen threads on how to make them work for Windows 10, too.

Also, I have so many sims cc and mods in my folders, is there a way to transfer them to the new desktop?
    Sorry, got caught up in something yesterday.

Save files, CC, screenshots, etc are saved to your hard drive, not Origin. You will need to backup the folders/files somewhere. Either through a file hosting site, external hard drive, or flash drive. You could probably e-mail it to yourself as well. These guides show how to backup for Sims 3, Sims4, and Sims2.

Sims 3
    https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/03/faq-what-files-should-i-backup.html
    Sims 4
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/backups/
    Sims 2
    http://modthesims.info/article.php?t=138900