Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Despite Seasons, I'm speculating that could be the end of expansion packs.

DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
... Unless developers dare to pull a risky card of making it content/quality equivalent to what you would get from an stuff pack, which would obviously flop straight away, I can't think of any other expansion pack's concept developers could pull out of their magic hat that would be considered... well.... a new to table and worth the categorization.

Why? Well If you think about it:
- It couldn't be a destination/ traveling one, because the upcoming teased game pack and Outdoor Treat already gave us a hint that such things presumably will continue on game packs, so it would look out-of-consistency and not practical from a business sense If it did came into an EP.
- Nor a freetime/generation one, because in another retrospective, Parenthood GP shows that future content that are scattered as puzzle pieces (elders gp, teen/youth gp, family bonding time gp) could hot-sell for a nifthy price, even though some find it absurd due to being rip-off and not instead packed gameplays into one big concept of a full expansion pack. EA likes to do that.
- Supernatural: chances are they're planned to be produced/released as seperate lifestates in each seperate dedicated-to-them gamepack, because the last time we got last occult creature (and may I add, the first and up-to-day only fleshed out lifestate) was in Vampire game pack (and that sold like hot-cake, and If you pay attention in my other placed in brackets remark...) before the absence of their overflowed present in dlc and is stagnant since then up to very now. In a nutshell, the practical business sense is:
*) A Lifestate + in a Gamepack = time and resource devouted for a flesh out life state.7
*) Fleshed out and in-depth lifestate = sells like hot cakes.
- Showtime: bad reputation since the day it came out during TS3 era, so yeah I don't think they're gonna repeat that historical mistake.
- Partying/HouseParty: Should be obvious enough by them a while ago, that we are oversaturated of this dull, overstocked champagne than it needs for a local store when we used to shop there before that item got over-shifted to much for our preference.

Yeah, based on these mine presumptions I can only make a wild guess that after seasons (If they do have plans, which can hardly be argued there aren't for such fan return demanded dlc) I can conclude that may be the end of expansion packs or of more 🐸🐸🐸🐸 ones that really flop and are really to a big drop point that they no longer consider what their label as - expansion packs. Imagine an expansion that doesn't include game-changing and offers only new objects and clothes (like literally what a stuff pack would do) or a gamepack-esque.

Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts, speculations, dot connections, etc.
NNpYlHF.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2018
    MrMonty96 wrote: »
    I think not. The Sims 4 is nowhere near the end of its lifespan.

Just to clarify, the end of expansion packs is what I'm speculating. Not really including game packs and stuff packs into this one big assumtion/theory/prediction I thought off.

I also wanna I say, I did forgot that there were University EPs in past games, so that can be another possibility in TS4 as the exception with Seasons (so that makes those two LAST expansion packs in TS4). Or much worse/better (depending how you look at it): University Core elements could be split into two content packs: a gamepack that includes (much like Dine Out with the retail system it utilizes to simulate restaurant) dorm as independent and exclusive to that dlc, and a expansion pack for that whole off-screen classes&majors that act much like careers, which from the observation I picked up sim JOBS can only come in EP form.

Seriously, what would EP introduced that normally GPs wouldn't? There isn't much else except for the two returning one's from the franchise, so anything else that they can offer as a new-to-the-table ~ would be in future game packs.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Actually, I don't see it as this being the end of EPs. I think EA wants to get the big ticket EP themes out of the way so that they can start bringing out themes we've never thought of or ideas that were requested for years but have never come to life until now. Plus GPs seem to fill in some of the gaps in terms of gameplay.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I don't think that one thing implies the other. They can still do some sort of vacation EP or Freetime one regardless.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    AlveAlve Posts: 101 Member
    Maybe a time machine ep where you could travel to different eras (not the future like in sims 3) like the ancient roman times, 1800's and 1920's!

I think a off the grid/farming pack could completely change how you'd play. It would be harder to keep Sims alive and everything would have to be made or produced by hand. I think that would be a new fun and challenging concept.

I'm sure people and devs have numerous of other original ideas of eps that can be done.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited January 2018
    ... Unless developers dare to pull a risky card of making it content/quality equivalent to what you would get from an stuff pack, which would obviously flop straight away, I can't think of any other expansion pack's concept developers could pull out of their magic hat that would be considered... well.... a new to table and worth the categorization.

- It couldn't be a destination/ traveling one, because the upcoming teased game pack and Outdoor Treat already gave us a hint that such things presumably will continue on game packs, so it would look out-of-consistency and not practical from a business sense If it did came into an EP.
    - Nor a freetime/generation one, because in another retrospective, Parenthood GP shows that future content that are scattered as puzzle pieces (elders gp, teen/youth gp, family bonding time gp) could hot-sell for a nifthy price, even though some find it absurd due to being rip-off and not instead packed gameplays into one big concept of a full expansion pack. EA likes to do that.
    - Supernatural: chances are they're planned to be produced/released as seperate lifestates in each seperate dedicated-to-them gamepack, because the last time we got last occult creature (and may I add, the first and up-to-day only fleshed out lifestate) was in Vampire game pack (and that sold like hot-cake, and If you pay attention in my other placed in brackets remark...) before the absence of their overflowed present in dlc and is stagnant since then up to very now. In a nutshell, the practical business sense is:
    *) A Lifestate + in a Gamepack = time and resource devouted for a flesh out life state.7
    - Showtime: bad reputation since the day it came out during TS3 era, so yeah I don't think they're gonna repeat that historical mistake.
    - Partying/HouseParty: Should be obvious enough by them a while ago, that we are oversaturated of this dull, overstocked champagne than it needs for a local store when we used to shop there before that item got over-shifted to much for our preference.

Yeah, based on these mine presumptions I can only make a wild guess that after seasons (If they do have plans, which can hardly be argued there aren't for such fan return demanded dlc) I can conclude that may be the end of expansion packs or of more plum ones that really flop and are really to a big drop point that they no longer consider what their label as - expansion packs. Imagine an expansion that doesn't include game-changing and offers only new objects and clothes (like literally what a stuff pack would do) or a gamepack-esque.

Still plenty of themes for EPs they could explore. Farming/rural themes have been frequently requested, so Down on the Farm could be in the planning stages: add horses (which were left out of C&D and other farm animals (the cows and chickens were very popular Sims 3 Store items, maybe add in sheep and a mechanism for shearing to produce wool which could be spun into wool and used to create wearables like scarves, hats or sweaters. Add in other craftables like jams/pickles, and a country fair where created items can be judged and Sims can win prizes.

We also haven't had a University pack yet -- I'd like to see University expanded to include all levels of education improved, and less emphasis on the "party" aspect like in the past. When children go to school, they only meet other children while teens meet only teens. Offer a form of homeschooling, maybe take a page from CL and offer "study from home" where you get assignments to do from home things like practice an instrument for 2 hours for Music Appreciation, or Find 3 Frogs for Biology Lab, or Interview an Elder then Write An Essay for History class...things like that. University could offer the opportunity to either move to the University town with your family, or you can commute to the school from your home which would offer less chance to participate in extracurricular activities.

Showtime wasn't that bad, other than requiring the help of other players to advance; Simport was pretty much a disaster, along with locking content that required SimPort to unlock (until the mod that unlocked everything automatically got developed and released). I think if they released a similar pack but didn't include SimPort I think would do well; people are still looking for an actual Singing Career post-CL's karaoke clubs, and I think the acrobat and magician skills were pretty popular. And they're not going to be able to get people to pay $40 for a pack that's only items, with no additional game play. I could see a possibility of maybe a double SP that would include new content plus more clothes/objects for $20.

Some of the ideas in the survey we took for the Community Pack (where laundry ended up the choice) could be expanded in the EPs or GPs. You could have the Wedding SP with more gowns, veils and such could be expanded into a GP or EP with improvements to the wedding system, automatic name change prompt, honeymoon system (get 3 days added to the vacation days system that could be used for a honeymoon or saved up for a really big vacation, etc.), Or maybe "off the grid" which was really popular could be either incorporated into Seasons or become a EP/GP of its own.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I think Seasons, University/School for kids ,And a Celebrity type pack being possible expansions.

After those 3, Sims 4 will probably have run its course .
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    There's been a lot of request for a farming pack, which is something that's not been done before. That, I think, would need EP-scale development. I don't see EPs going away until there's really nothing left that doesn't need a larger budget because of all the not-visible work that goes into it - the way Cats and Dogs needs a lot of new meshes and animations + new interaction systems.

As for worlds, we've seen full-sized worlds only with EPs so far. GPs have had only mini-worlds. I suspect that, too, comes down to how much budget it takes to make those worlds happen and that without EPs, we'd end up back into separately purchased worlds, but with less new about them than we get with an EP.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

Yeah, based on these mine presumptions I can only make a wild guess that after seasons (If they do have plans, which can hardly be argued there aren't for such fan return demanded dlc) I can conclude that may be the end of expansion packs or of more plum ones that really flop and are really to a big drop point that they no longer consider what their label as - expansion packs. Imagine an expansion that doesn't include game-changing and offers only new objects and clothes (like literally what a stuff pack would do) or a gamepack-esque.

To the contrary there are plenty of eps they could do after Seasons

1)Find Love a romantic based ep
    2)Universities
    3)Amusement Parks though final name could be Theme Parks
    4)Supernaturals though hints suggest witches may get their own Gamepack.
    5)Tropical Vacation EP upcoming GP 6 is looking like Jungles and Adventures.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Assuming this year is Seasons, it'll indeed be released about 4 years and 2 months into Sims 4's lifespan. This is about the longest a Sims game has ever lasted. It's interesting we've not heard a peep about Sims 5, but tbh if there's bad news for the Sims in general then the Sims team would of course not tell us because they want us to stay hopeful.

I'm curious to see what'll happen: either this game actually does extend more than a year past it's predecessors, it just dies out like normal, and perhaps the Sims as a franchise fades away without active plans for a future too.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Assuming this year is Seasons, it'll indeed be released about 4 years and 2 months into Sims 4's lifespan. This is about the longest a Sims game has ever lasted. It's interesting we've not heard a peep about Sims 5, but tbh if there's bad news for the Sims in general then the Sims team would of course not tell us because they want us to stay hopeful.

I'm curious to see what'll happen: either this game actually does extend more than a year past it's predecessors, it just dies out like normal, and perhaps the Sims as a franchise fades away without active plans for a future too.

If EA quits making the Sims another gaming studio will probably take the reins.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2018

If EA quits making the Sims another gaming studio will probably take the reins.

You mean Maxis not EA. EA is the publisher that owns Maxis. Maxis is the studio.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think their pattern is pretty well established and their team makeup is also. I'm not sure how the ideas will come at us but if we get more supernaturals they will be put in GP's (I'm pretty sure). If we get more vacation like destinations they will be in GP form also. Low-balling how many that is I'll guess at 4.. GP wise that's 2 years worth there. I do think they will explore other ideas in GP's also on top of that.
    I'm assuming we will get a University or a school based EP and yes some sort of Showtime/Superstar type of thing in an EP. I think we'll get more than that also. I think enough to keep the Sims 4 going for at least 3 more years. I'm personally hoping 4-5 more years to explore new ideas. I don't know how Seasons will come or what it will be paired with. If it's only weather it could come in a GP or patch. If it's farming attached or attached to activities that would put it in an EP.
    There might not be a peep about a Sims 5 because the run is expected to last awhile. It seems like it's selling well... They might also be following another formula where they complete one before starting on another.. or at least keep it under wraps longer.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited January 2018
    I saw many people demanding a Remake of Superstar or Makin' Magic.

Maybe we even get a "Supernatural" EP after Seasons (Seeing how popular the Vampire Pack was); I don't see them putting out another 6 Game Packs focusing on every single occult from the series.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    It better not be I need University & a real Vacation Ep first :)
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    I don't think they're gonna repeat that historical mistake.
    hold my beer
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    edited January 2018
    MrMonty96 wrote: »
    I think not. The Sims 4 is nowhere near the end of its lifespan.

Just to clarify, the end of expansion packs is what I'm speculating. Not really including game packs and stuff packs into this one big assumption/theory/prediction I thought of.

I also wanna I say, I did forget that there were University EPs in past games, so that can be another possibility in TS4 as the exception with Seasons (so that makes those two LAST expansion packs in TS4). Or much worse/better (depending how you look at it): University Core elements could be split into two content packs: a gamepack that includes (much like Dine Out with the retail system it utilizes to simulate restaurant) dorm as independent and exclusive to that dlc, and a expansion pack for that whole off-screen classes & majors that act much like careers, which from the observation I picked up sim JOBS can only come in EP form.

Seriously, what would EP introduced that normally GPs wouldn't? There isn't much else except for the two returning one's from the franchise, so anything else that they can offer as a new-to-the-table ~ would be in future game packs.

Oh I know what you meant but why would the sims team/ea suddenly stop creating expansion packs - their most profitable dlc and in the middle of the run of the current iteration? From a business and logical point of view it makes absolutely no sense and if your argument is that the Sims team has no new ideas then I think you're a bit wrong, did you see the list of ideas they had for eco living stuff? I'm sorry but your theory isn't at all feasible. :smile:
  • Options
    Eco living was a stuff pack. I realize that there's no actual protocol and technical limitation in what can and cannot be exclusive to gamepack or an expansion pack, so they can pretty much put anything out and either label as "expansion pack" or "stuff pack" and sometimes give/make an illusion that those things are somehow different, but in reality they aren't. We have seen the releases of gameplay mechanics (dine out restaurants, get together club), worlds (midnight hollow and winderburg), and even mechanics (parenting and careers) in both packs: expansion and game packs. So what we know, they can either university either in a game pack or expansion pack which wouldn't matter at all, but probably would sell better with a 40$ If it was label as an expansion pack.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options

To the contrary there are plenty of eps they could do after Seasons

1)Find Love a romantic based ep
    2)Universities
    3)Amusement Parks though final name could be Theme Parks
    4)Supernaturals though hints suggest witches may get their own Gamepack.
    5)Tropical Vacation EP upcoming GP 6 is looking like Jungles and Adventures.

There were the carnival rides in Sims Makin' Magic; if they added an updated Magic Town miniworld you could have a lot with the rides, the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 wagon to buy magic supplies and visit the fortune teller/matchmaker, a performance lot, a dueling lot and maybe an empty lot for people to add residential or other venues. Setting up the magic system along with a mini-world could become EP-sized.
  • Options
    Eco living was a stuff pack. I realize that there's no actual protocol and technical limitation in what can and cannot be exclusive to gamepack or an expansion pack, so they can pretty much put anything out and either label as "expansion pack" or "stuff pack" and sometimes give/make an illusion that those things are somehow different, but in reality they aren't. We have seen the releases of gameplay mechanics (dine out restaurants, get together club), worlds (midnight hollow and winderburg), and even mechanics (parenting and careers) in both packs: expansion and game packs. So what we know, they can either university either in a game pack or expansion pack which wouldn't matter at all, but probably would sell better with a 40$ If it was label as an expansion pack.

They are different in terms of scope. Look at the packs we've already gotten -- SPs are very limited in scope and are just "stuff" with one or two items that provide new game play (like the waterslide and drink pitcher in Backyard Stuff or the bowling system in Bowling Night Stuff). GPs have a wider focus but still based on a single theme -- Spa Day, Dine Out, Parenthood, etc. The new game play is a lot more detailed than we get with an SP. EPs have the widest focus so you get the most gameplay related items and new gameplay -- we got the group/clubs$ system with GT, with CL we got the new "semi-active" careers (I'd really like the CL career system used in an education/University pack in order to offer the chance at home study for all ages).

There's also a difference in time schedule and budget -- we saw from the Community SP Project (which became Laundry Day) that it takes several months to produce an SP, longer for the GPs and a year or more for EPs. There are numerous steps, from deciding the theme, coming up with ideas that fit the theme then deciding what works and what doesn't. Then they have to choose a general art style by having concept artists draw up ideas. Once the art style is chosen then comes the long process of reproducing those items in game, doing all the animations if there's new gameplay (like laundry machines in Laundry Day Stuff or coordinating cooking and serving in Dine Out or darts/foosball animations in GT). Any special features (like the restaurant management system in DO or the club system in GT) also have to be designed and implemented. Then there's the testing and running it past the ESRB to make sure it still qualifies for the T rating. Finally there are last minute touchups (which can go on even past release; remember the ball pit texture issues?), producing trailers, etc. before the games actually drop. It's not just as simple as "we can get $40 for this pack but only $10 for this one." The scope of the project determines the type of pack it is, and determines both the budget they're allowed to produce the pack and the time they have to get it out.

Now that Laundry Day is out they're probably already brainstorming on the next SP -- without the need to poll the community the production schedule will be a bit shorter. They might be starting work on the next GP as well while they finish up the Jungle pack. And lastly they're probably in the middle of production of the next EP for a Fall release.
  • Options
    LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    Even if they finish sims 4 within the next year or so, I'd love if they were to do a castaway sims 4 version and expand on the previous one to include a snowy destination aswell. If also love a remake on sims medieval but expand so it can include old Egyptian, western etc. That would be so cool.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    edited January 2018
    MrJessXD wrote: »
    Even if they finish sims 4 within the next year or so, I'd love if they were to do a castaway sims 4 version and expand on the previous one to include a snowy destination aswell. If also love a remake on sims medieval but expand so it can include old Egyptian, western etc. That would be so cool.

oh that reminds me, We still hadn't got any spin off in The Sims 4 Era. I need One!

Edited for typo.
  • Options
    TS1299 wrote: »
    MrJessXD wrote: »

oh that reminds me, We still hadn't got any spin off in The Sims 4 Era. I need One!

Edited for typo.
    TS4 is itself a spin-off *snickers* Sincerely wondering why would people want a more limited/restrained game with the weak engine it runs on.

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    I'm still wishing for the singer game pack to come back!
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    More quick wishing for Sims 4 to end, I see. Yup, sure thing, only one more EP, lol.

It's not like the game just had it's best year since launch or anything. :D Yeah, toddlers, vampires, etc... that ain't no thing!
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.