Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Possession is Nine Tenths of the Law!

Has anyone done this LTW? I've never done it before and have a Kleptomaniac teen, so I thought I'd try it. I'm wondering if anyone knows how this works.

So far he's stolen a few items in the homeworld and that seemed to count for the LTW. Then I sent him to university and he stole quite a few cars, laptops, statues, lights... But on returning home the count for the LTW was reset and none of the items he stole seems to count, and his previous acquisitions no longer seem to count. :(

Is traveling generally going to reset this wish? (I use NRaas Traveler which may or may not have anything to do with his reset wish count.)

Do swiped objects while on vacation usually not count for this wish? I'm wondering if there's any point to sending him on acquisition trips to WA worlds, Oasis Landing, or other worlds in general (ignoring the issue above for the moment).

Does visiting or touring rabbit holes ever result in a kleptomaniac sim acquiring an object? Or does the sim have to work or attend school at the rabbit hole in order to acquire something while in the rabbit hole?

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited January 2018
    Yes it is fun being klepto you visit rabbit holes and get some crazy stuff.It will be in your family inventory so you may not notice it.Could even do it as a challenge just have a no job klepto try to live off rabbit hole theft items.Non swipe
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    In case this is any help, there's a MC command intended to fix broken LTW tallies for those that rely on such things being counted, for when they get goofed up. NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Advanced > Lifetime Wish:Change Tally (MC Cheats module required). Not all of the LTWs respond to that command, but might be worth a try to see if that fixes the post-travel tallies due to things like travel.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    In case this is any help, there's a MC command intended to fix broken LTW tallies for those that rely on such things being counted, for when they get goofed up. NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Advanced > Lifetime Wish:Change Tally (MC Cheats module required). Not all of the LTWs respond to that command, but might be worth a try to see if that fixes the post-travel tallies due to things like travel.

I was wondering if that command would work. I added up the value of all 40 items he's stolen (36,091) but entering that into the Change Tally field didn't work. His LTW shows 60/50,000 (the 60 simoleons comes from a painting he stole from school after arriving home). Unfortunately that command didn't work for this LTW.

I might put new versions of all the objects he's stolen so far onto an empty community lot, change the number of items he can steal per day with Retuner, and then have him grab it all one night. Then I'll change the number of items he can steal per day back to 3 and finish the LTW before he travels again.
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't realize the LTW was counting cumulative value and not numbers of objects. Should have paid more attention. Yeah, I think your second solution sounds like the better way to go.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    saffiredragon9saffiredragon9 Posts: 16 Member
    Not sure if it was just my game being glitchy but I had a sim with this lifetime wish that had her stolen item value reset to zero when she got married - so hold off on the weddings aswell as the travelling just to be sure ;)
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I had the same problem with this LTW, nice to see I'm not the only one.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I googled and found this topic. So it definitely is a glitch, caused by the fact the game will stop seeing stolen goods as stolen when you travel. The topic also holds a solution, hope it works:
    SOLUTION::

Okay, after some testing, I can confirm that anything you have stolen and left in your family inventory when you travel will no longer be recognized by the game as stolen when you get back. Also, if you set a stolen vehicle as your preferred vehicle and then travel, your sim will use that vehicle when leaving, and that vehicle will no longer be recognized as stolen. Also, I did notice that SOME items do not count towards the LTW total SOMETIMES when left in your family inventory (rather than placing them ON your lot). This behavior seems inconsistent to me. e.g. I stole a car and a light fixture and both immediately counted right from my family inventory. However, I come home and place one of my previously stolen cars that is sitting on my lot (does count towards the LTW) into my family inventory and it no longer counts. Move it back to the lot, and it counts again.

So, there seems to be a couple of bugs here that were confusing me, but both have a good work-around: If you have the Possession is Nine Tenths of the Law LTW, put all stolen goods ON your lot immediately and leave them there!

I hope this helps other people that are confused about this.

Note: Cars that are not on a parking spot (i.e. placed on the lot with the moveobjects command) will remain in your inventory even though they appear on your lot. These cars will also lose their "stolen" status when you travel. So, purchase a parking space for them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Not sure if it was just my game being glitchy but I had a sim with this lifetime wish that had her stolen item value reset to zero when she got married - so hold off on the weddings aswell as the travelling just to be sure ;)

Thanks for the heads up! I'll postpone marriage for that sim until I complete the LTW.
    GITTE2001 wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like a bug and not a weird glitch then.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I googled and found this topic. So it definitely is a glitch, caused by the fact the game will stop seeing stolen goods as stolen when you travel. The topic also holds a solution, hope it works:

Thanks for finding that thread! It looks like this LTW is typically EA buggy. The solution is good to know as my sim steals stuff in the homeworld, but I don't think it will help with traveling. When he was in university the LTW didn't even display the value of how much he stole. And since the items lose their stolen status (but not their lowered value) on returning home, the only fix I can figure out is above (which worked).
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Here's something I discovered quite by accident. If a Klepto wishes to return a stolen item then you should click on the mailbox on the home lot and pick the return item option. The Klepto should have said item in their personal inventory for this to work. This action might come up as part of the LTW but I have never played a Klepto so I am not 100% sure.

Betty
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Here's something I discovered quite by accident. If a Klepto wishes to return a stolen item then you should click on the mailbox on the home lot and pick the return item option. The Klepto should have said item in their personal inventory for this to work. This action might come up as part of the LTW but I have never played a Klepto so I am not 100% sure.

Betty

The item can be in the family inventory as well. (Kleptomaniacs can steal things that don't go into personal inventory.) My current kleptomaniac does often wish to return items even though his LTW is to keep 50k simoleons worth of stolen items. If find that kind of strange. I don't play kleptomaniac sims that often and when I do I tend to give them the wish to be a master thief. I wonder if the wish to return stolen items is trait related. Maybe if he was also Evil or Mean-Spirited or Grumpy then he wouldn't get the wish to return items. I don't know; I almost never play sims with those traits.

He did get a wish to steal something though. I've never seen that before. One wish to steal something and 20 to return things.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I don't usually play with a klepto, since somehow I feel all the guilt that my sim manages to avoid. But the last time I used that trait, the sim wanted to return something every once in a while. I was ambivalent at first, but then I thought of all of the worthless junk he'd stolen. For example, I'd send him to the art gallery in the middle of the night, and he'd manage to steal not one but TWO spotlights. The museum can have those back; I'd rather not hold on to the evidence of my sim's exceedingly poor taste. And, of course, he got a nice moodlet for doing the right thing, even if he kept the §10,000 statue for himself.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    TreyNutz wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up! I'll postpone marriage for that sim until I complete the LTW.
    GITTE2001 wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like a bug and not a weird glitch then.

Thanks for finding that thread! It looks like this LTW is typically EA buggy. The solution is good to know as my sim steals stuff in the homeworld, but I don't think it will help with traveling. When he was in university the LTW didn't even display the value of how much he stole. And since the items lose their stolen status (but not their lowered value) on returning home, the only fix I can figure out is above (which worked).
    As I understood it the stolen goods left at home will be recognized as stolen again as soon as your sims gets home (which technically is nothing more than reopening an old save, nothing happened to it while your sim was gone and even the sim in there is a clone and not the sim you played abroad), but that’s not the case then? Somebody did a lousy job thinking this through when implementing it. Well, what’s new right...? But the only solution then is not travelling (or marrying) till the LTW is achieved? Or were you referring to the MC solution?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    As I understood it the stolen goods left at home will be recognized as stolen again as soon as your sims gets home (which technically is nothing more than reopening an old save, nothing happened to it while your sim was gone and even the sim in there is a clone and not the sim you played abroad), but that’s not the case then? Somebody did a lousy job thinking this through when implementing it. Well, what’s new right...? But the only solution then is not travelling (or marrying) till the LTW is achieved? Or were you referring to the MC solution?

My sim had stolen 2 items worth about 200 simoleons which I left on the home lot, then traveled to university. While at university he stole ~40 items worth about 30,000 simoleons. He brought all those items home. On returning home the LTW counter showed 0 simoleons stolen. So, 2 things: (1) the 2 items worth about 200 simoleons which he stole before the trip were no longer counted as being stolen, and (2) the items he stole during his trip and brought home did not count either.

The solution (to put stolen items on the home lot and leave them there) posted in the Craig's list :p Carl's Guide thread didn't work for travel for me. It might work for stuff stolen in the homeworld and not immediately recognized as being stolen. However, all of the objects my sim has stolen have immediately counted so far.

My solution was to re-steal all those items. I put new versions on a lot across the street and had my sim steal them all again. To save time I used Retuner (not MC) to allow him to steal 40 items a day and then set that back to 3 items per day when he was done. Going forward he won't travel or get married until he completes the LTW. The MC command to change the LTW Tally did not work.

I confess I initially misread the 'solution' posted on that Craig's list post. I thought the OP there was just referring to issues with items stolen in the home world which were not being counted by the LTW. After rereading that post I see the OP was claiming their solution was a fix for traveling too - but that was not the case in my game.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Not that this going to really be helpful at all, and not that I was really all that helpful earlier on this thread either, but a couple of things perhaps worth pointing out.

-- Although they can and sometimes do lose bits of data along the way, actively controlled sims who travel are not really clones of their full homeworld selves. That applies only to tourists/visitors who are invited to homeworlds temporarily and are meant to be "sent back" when their visit is over.

-- Craig's List doesn't actually have much sims content on it. Carl's Guide has some though. (sorry, tried to resist but failed) :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited January 2018
    @igazor, Well, craigslist does have the occasional used Sims 3 games (games are sims content) and expansion packs, but unfortunately due to EA's policies on used games, it's doubtful if they would work. :D:mrgreen:

...and EA would consider it "stolen content". :D>:) ~evil grin~

And for further reiteration to the new users of the forum: DO NOT BUY USED Sims 3 GAMES. You won't be able to register them and EA will not support your EA game or give you a new key.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the heads up. It’s also possible - that topic on Carl’s is from december 2011 - that things worked back then but not anymore (patches and new packs have always been known for breaking stuff). So my personal solution is going to be avoiding that LTW. Hope you’ll be able to finish it TreyNutz.
    5JZ57S6.png