Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I have the game installed on a desktop and laptop at the same time?

Hi,

I haven't been around, because I couldn't get my desktop to run any games reliably after I had to replace the graphics card. I still hope to get my desktop to run sims 3 and 4 eventually, but I had to get a laptop for school, before I could start replacing the components on my desktop. I didn't really buy the laptop to game on, but I thought I could try to play a little on it as well.

Is it possible to just install Origin on the laptop and sign in with my account to download the games and have them installed on both machines?

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Yes you can have the game installed on two computers. laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. They did up the computer requirements for C & D. If your laptop is for general use and not for gaming you might have issues running the games. You may be ok with early eps , gps and packs prior to C & D. You would have to test it out
  • Options
    awellenblawellenbl Posts: 2,970 Member
    I only have the base game and the parenthood pack. Although I am considering buying one of the combo packs during the current sale and add that.

My laptop has an i5-7300HQ, 8GB RAM, 1000GB HDD and a GTX 1050, which I know isn't really suitable for most games and I do plan to use the desktop for gaming in the long run and not the laptop. It might be okay with some occasional gaming though. I'll give it a try.

It's definitely nice to know, I can have the game installed on both machines, though. Thank you. :smile:

My desktop has an old AMD processor and a GTX 960, but one of the components is probably damaged, because it freezes when I am trying to run a game. I already tried updating all the drivers, tried older drivers, ran it with just one of the RAM sticks and reinstalled windows and about every other idea about changing the settings, I could find. I don't really know what else to do without actually replacing the hardware. So I'll probably get a new board and DDR 4 RAM and the i5 8400. I just hope it's not the graphics card that's faulty, because I do plan to keep that one.

The i5 8400 is unfortunately hardly available anywhere near me. I have been thinking about using the i3 8100 one, because it might be comparable to the older i5s, as it does use 4 cores. Might that be enough for Sims 3 and 4?
  • Options
    Your laptop specs are fine to run the whole game with add ons. The game should run on ultra. You can ask user Dekay to help you set up your laptop for this game.

You need to speak to chesterbigbird on desktop builds. Just send her a PM on your desktop issues and what would be better if buying new. The new coffee lake processors are supposed to be better than other intel processors but you do need a new motherboard for them
  • Options
    That sounds great. Then I'll definitely add one of the packs combination. I could use some help with setting up the laptop for gaming. I'm not sure, if windows installed all the right drivers, as I purchased windows seperately and installed it. Though there is no software on it that came with the laptop. Windows did install an nVidia driver, but I am not sure, if it's the current one, because I don't know if laptop and desktop cards use the same drivers.

I'd definitely need a new board for upgrading the desktop, because I do want an intel processor. I'd also get a new power supply and new ram. I hope to keep the rest, but I do want to try and find out what is wrong with the current setup.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I don't have windows 10 and chester is also a desktop build expert so it would be best to send her a PM. She will be on the forum later. windows 10 and it has it's own issues. She has windows 10 and can help you with making sure your laptop installed windows correctly, what's going on with your current set up and future upgrade
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll ask her later then. :)