Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Problem w/ Vampire Break-Ins

Breaking into people’s houses as a vampire was a good idea, but when you break in, no one in the house reacts. Not even a glance in my direction. It just seems like a simple fix, even the pre parental panic reaction would suffice. Recently I made my vampire break into a house to turn their daughter and they kept watching TV. I also made their son hallucinate and drank from the mom and they still didn’t react. I think you can literally stay there all day and night and they wouldn’t kick you out or ask you to leave. I really think some of the changes brought to the vampire pack are innovative and fresh but I wanted to see more out of vampire interactions with normal sims.

Comments

• Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Oh, true??

The one time I had my sim break into a house, literally nobody batted an eye. They just kept talking to each other as if I wasn't even there. It was a non-issue to them.

Come on, would have been nice to at least see some panicking, or reactions from these humans - a freakin' vampire was breaking in and nobody even gave a heck.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Yeah, I mean even the butler should run to the kitchen to arm himself with a knife.
  • Options
    MellonuialMellonuial Posts: 47 Member
    > @calaprfy said:
    > Yeah, I mean even the butler should run to the kitchen to arm himself with a knife.

ROFL

No kidding. I always wake up an adult or teen Sim to interrupt an attack, especially when the vampire's intended victim is married to the one peacefully sleeping beside him/her. It doesn't always work, but I've gotten to see some fantastic vampire vs. mortal sim fights (complete with the mortal beating the vampire with a club made out of garlic!).

But to the larger issue, when a vampire breaks in and drinks from one of my Sims, other household members in the room rarely wake up and when they do, they just panic briefly, and, unless I take control of one them, they wander around the house ignoring both the vampire AND the Sim passed out the floor! Talk about grounds for divorce, or the grounding of a lifetime :)

Breaking in as a vampire was fun at first, or even attacking a Sim on the street or at a public venue, but I'd like more of a challenge, or at least seeing Sims react according to their traits: squeamish Sims vomiting, self-assured Sims jumping in to stop the attack, evil Sims cheering the Vampire on, etc. Just something beyond cringing in shocked terror or not reacting at all.
  • Options
    VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    I find it ironic that the sims care less than some of the members of this forum about vampire attacks. And my vampires don't even break into houses, they stand and wait patiently at the door to be invited in. When they sometimes then clean up the messes and then leave. The only time they walk right in without being invited is if they're visiting family. Which are other vampires. So no attacks happen.

I would actually like more attacks and yes, more reaction to the attacks would be amazing. Also when teen vampire sims have an anger mood swing and attack a human parent to drink from them, surely that ought to be grounds for grounding or punishment of some kind! It happened in my game a couple of times when I had vampire kids in human families and basically nothing happened. No reaction. No break in relationship. The only thing that happened was the vampire teen got guilt if they were a guilty drinker. The parents didn't care at all. That somehow doesn't seem right to me...
  • Options
    MellonuialMellonuial Posts: 47 Member
    Wow. A teenaged Vampire violently attacks a parent and just feels guilty because they didn't get permission to drink first? That is so....wrong I don't where to begin.

I don't know a lot about computer coding, but I think the Parenthood AI needs an update to recognize inappropriate teenage vampire behavior. I mean even toddlers get a "good talking to" for hitting or biting someone! But an out of control teen Vampire needs something, grounding, at the very least; although grounding barely begins to address the problem :o In my Human/Vampire blended household the undead mother would renounce her relationship with her son and send him packing (since teens can live on their own now). Perhaps not permanently, and she would keep an eye on him from a distance, but if the game won't enforce dire consequences, my Sims will.

As for breaking and entering, my non-Vampires seem to provoke break-ins. I'm good for one every festival cycle. My personal favorites are when one approaches an apartment door only to discover a Vampire has joined the household and then turns around nonchalantly and leaves as if to say, "Oops, my bad. Carry on." I've also used "eternally welcome" to save fellow Vampires from dying of sun exposure. I quickly form a group, travel to the dying Vampire's home, let us in, and my friend usually heads directly to their coffin. I remain until full dark and leave a generous supply of plasma packs behind.

Skill sets are only limited by a player's imagination (and the occasional bug)
  • Options
    allieb028allieb028 Posts: 44 Member
    I agree with this post. It's not much of a challenge or excitement when you break in as a Vampire. I want to see the sims scared or something. They will just strike up a normal conversation as If I didn't just break into their home.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited November 2017
    They are my sims, so they shouldn't react at all before I queque an interaction. There's just too many variables to allow the game to roleplay the house owners. Do they flee? Do they stand paralyzed? Do they stay and fight? Do they even hear what's going on downstairs? Or do they remind the vampire that they are the mayor of Windeburg and friends with the Grandmaster of the Knights of the hedge? Guess how long you can enjoy your unlife after doing so much as leaving dirt on our carpet!

My last vampire break-in happened the day before yesterday in aforementioned mayor's, Hugo Villareal, house. It was a little strange in that the vampire occupied herself with making drinks for everyone (in addition to taking out the trash, it's something all my guests do, even at weddings, haven't found a mod to stopp that yet). The vampire in question was a played sim I had created myself, more reviled for being the town 🐸🐸🐸🐸 than for her lifestate. She and the Villareal also have a mutual friend and since she hadn't done any real harm, Hugo let her off the hook despite break-ins normally being punishable offences in my game. Anyway, this family is well versed in the supernatural, extremely self-assured and keeps their own payed armed forces (the Renegades). I had been severly offended if the game had forced them to act shocked.

The funniest break-in I recall happened in San Myshuno to a sim of mine who was living with Lori Keye from Parenthood. If you don't know her, let me tell you that she's extremely jealous. While my poor sim was used as a late night drink by the vampire Lori gave him looks along the line of "What's your business with this woman, Emory?! At this late an hour?! You have some EXPLAINING to do!!!"
    In this situation I'd been very annoyed if the game had forced an action on Lori. Realistically she should have been scared, but me having her her talking off poor Emory's ears first thing after he came to was way more fun!
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Sims 4 has many lacking reactions! It has been an ongoing problem since release! I want wild emotional reactions to events like in Sims 2! It actually felt like stories and drama were amped up but Sims 4 is sooo weak in this area! This is coming from someone who loves Sims 4 the most out of the series but knows its weaknesses.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Reactions are poor overall in this series. I agree that there should be a reaction to a break in.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited November 2017
    I agree, a little bit of panic from the human's on the lot would have been a pretty cool reaction (I suppose they wanted to avoid the "It's a ghost?!" reaction from TS3?) Personally I find it annoying that every human sim automatically knows who is a vampire and who isn't, like almost immediately after introducing my sims to Vlad or the other pre-mades the option "Ask to Turn" comes up. It's quite immersion breaking. I mean, they had the whole "discovered alien" moodlet, so why not the same for vampires?
    Edit: A reaction to not seeing a vampire's reflection would have been pretty cool, like say you met a vampire at the gym and said sim noticed the person next to them had no reflection. Something like this: (In case it doesn't start at the right timestamp go to 18:36)
    https://youtu.be/24Lw0GgDoG8?t=18m36s
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited November 2017
    My opinion is that they should get rid of the "breaking in" entirely. I see occult as immersion breaking for me. Only burglars break in. But then, I am still waiting for a mod update that will never allow vampires to leave their dark world whatever the name if it is.
    Post edited by NorthDakotaGamer on
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    My opinion is that they should get rid of the "breaking in" entirely. I see occult as immersion breaking for me. Only burglars break in. But then, I am still waiting for a mod update that will never allow vampires to leave their dark world whatever the name if it is.

Forgotten Hollow.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Sorry if this sounds rude but, are you one of those people who buys packs for the build/buy stuff and then complains about the main theme of the pack? IIRC there already is a mod that locks the pre-mades into Forgotten Hollow, but it doesn't stop the game from randomly spawning townie vampires. So either way, you're stuck with vampires.
    Edited:because I can't spell
    Post edited by halloweenchild on
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    @halloweenchild

I did get it for free, as I would never purposely pay for an occult pack. My husband won it in a raffle and knew I wanted to build fixer upper homes without having to use custom content. There are great items for that which are not in other packs. Before the large update, I did have a mod that prevented all vampires from ever breaking in. I have not found a new mode that gets rid of them like I would prefer yet. I tried playing a vampire sim and was turned off to it after only 3 minutes of gameplay.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited November 2017
    @halloweenchild

I did get it for free, as I would never purposely pay for an occult pack. My husband won it in a raffle and knew I wanted to build fixer upper homes without having to use custom content. There are great items for that which are not in other packs. Before the large update, I did have a mod that prevented all vampires from ever breaking in. I have not found a new mode that gets rid of them like I would prefer yet. I tried playing a vampire sim and was turned off to it after only 3 minutes of gameplay.

@NorthDakotaGamer
    MC Command Center allows you to stop the game from spawning random vampire townies, if that's something you're looking for. It also allows you to human-ize supernatural sims (even ones you aren't playing) just by clicking on them and going into the MC Command Center menu from their dialogue menu (also allows you to change a sim's clothes from those awful random outfits with a few quick mouse clicks too). It's been updated for the C&D patch and the creator is always actively working on keeping the mod up to date and improving it.

It's a good mod to have, especially because it's got all kinds of options: population and culling settings, story progression (births, marriages, moving, etc.), occult settings...even options for setting parameters for townies' body types and clothing. It's basically all the options the developers didn't add to the vanilla game.

...On topic, yeah, the lack of reaction to vampire break-ins is a bit odd. The most reaction other sims have when my vampires do one of their little prank invasions is if someone who's been put under a spell (Hallucination, Mesmerized, or Asleep) comes to and one of my guys is messing with the plumbing. It's...weird.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    @SimsLovinLycan

I have that mod, but it DOES NOT eliminate vampires from being spawned in as townies. So, the game always makes more.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    @NorthDakotaGamer
    You have to go into MC Occult, then set the max number of vampires to zero. After that, you just have to find the vampires that were spawned before you made the adjustment and use MCCC to humanize them. That should work.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    @NorthDakotaGamer
    You have to go into MC Occult, then set the max number of vampires to zero. After that, you just have to find the vampires that were spawned before you made the adjustment and use MCCC to humanize them. That should work.

Sorry, that is not how the Occult Maximum Vampires setting works, here is the description of this setting "Sets a maximum number of desired vampires for the world. If the number of current vampires in the world is greater than or equal to this number then no more vampire babies will be BORN. This does not change homeless vampires that the game generates, it only will prevent babies from being born as vampires." So even if this is set to zero the game will still generate new vampires in the game.
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• Options
    @NorthDakotaGamer

The mod does not work that way. I want a mod that eliminates the vampire lifestate entirely.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @NorthDakotaGamer

The mod does not work that way. I want a mod that eliminates the vampire lifestate entirely.

The easiest way to eliminate vampires is to disable the pack and live without your build/buy options. Yes, it sucks that features will be locked away but that's the price you'll have to pay since you don't want the occult-lifestate in game. It's almost an Oxymoron, "I want the build/buy/CAS items but I don't want the theme of the pack in my game because reasons."
    I apologise if this sounds rude, but I am sick and tired of people complaining about this pack and how they want an option to delete vampires. You brought (or in your case won) a pack called vampires, so vampires are going to be in it and are going to be incorporated into all of your save files because that's how it works.
  • Options
    @halloweenchild

Before the last large update, there was a mod that eliminated/toggled off the vampires. That would be helpful again, but it has yet to be updated. No doubt, the modders are waiting for the bug fix so that their mod is not broken yet again.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited November 2017
    I have to agree, all reactions are bad. I loved it in Sims 3 when a burglar would break in. Sims would react according to their traits and abilities. The moodlets they got afterwards were indicative of what happened and how it ended up. And so much would depend on the police getting there and being able to arrest the burglar if your sims didn't have the traits/abilities to stop them. Being about to recover your stuff made a big difference.

I think that's the thing that bugs me most about the emotion system as a whole -- it's not about emotions, it's about colored buffs that generate whims. I'm not sure how they could even begin to start getting decent reactions in there unless they started doing +25 buffs to things they should be reacting strongly about, and have those buffs last a long time, and have it affect more than just their whims.
  • Options
    Felicity wrote: »
    I have to agree, all reactions are bad. I loved it in Sims 3 when a burglar would break in. Sims would react according to their traits and abilities. The moodlets they got afterwards were indicative of what happened and how it ended up. And so much would depend on the police getting there and being able to arrest the burglar if your sims didn't have the traits/abilities to stop them. Being about to recover your stuff made a big difference.

I think that's the thing that bugs me most about the emotion system as a whole -- it's not about emotions, it's about colored buffs that generate whims. I'm not sure how they could even begin to start getting decent reactions in there unless they started doing +25 buffs to things they should be reacting strongly about, and have those buffs last a long time, and have it affect more than just their whims.

Yeah, I miss traits like light sleeper where sims would wake up if a burglar was even on their street or heavy sleeper where the sim in question would just sleep through the whole ordeal. The coward trait was the best, especially when taking them to a cemetery at night or tombs aha XD

I'm not much of a fan of the emotion and whim system either, especially now with lot traits that have sims flip-flopping between emotions so fast you'd think that they're all bipolar. Not to mention that whims are straight up broken, or are at least universal across the ages. Like my child sim had a whim to buy a new stove and no matter how many times I dismissed that whim, it would always come back after a while.