Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Legacy Reading Circle

Comments

• Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    If How To Live With Grace is considered new enough, I'd love that! If not, I also have a Glassbolt legacy but it's a bit on the darker side.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    If How To Live With Grace is considered new enough, I'd love that! If not, I also have a Glassbolt legacy but it's a bit on the darker side.

It might not be such a bad idea if you went; we need a story to discuss this week and I'm sure Elifda is more than happy to have you!
  • Options
    I'd love to, as long as those other 2 are on hold.

Fortunately, gen 1 is the shortest as well!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    elifdapetonelifdapeton Posts: 217 Member
    edited November 2017
    Sorry for being away, and make the circle vacuum for a while, So, this week discussion will be How To Live With Grace so since it's a lot longer than we used to read I'm guessing we need two week, maybe? I'm actually going to be very busy this whole week, so I guess it'd definitely be convenient for me. But What do you guys, think?
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    | Legacy Challenge Story. 18+
  • Options
    Sorry for being away, and make the circle vacuum for a while, So, this week discussion will be How To Live With Grace so since it's a lot longer than we used to read I'm guessing we need two week, maybe? I'm actually going to be very busy this whole week, so I guess it'd definitely be convenient for me. But What do you guys, think?

Works for me!
  • Options
    Chaos_FairyChaos_Fairy Posts: 324 Member
    Hello everyone.

I appreciate the extra week to read Karilan's legacy, I was planning on reading it this week but I've not had a lot of time. I am on holiday as from tomorrow - visiting the inlaws for thanksgiving (bleurgh) -and doubt I will get a lot of spare time.

@Karilan I promise to read and comment your story, I might be a bit late though <3

My next chapter has been published, it will be the last one for at least a week, because I suck at time management and didn't get the next lot of screenshots done on time :wink:
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    @Karilan - I've read the first generation of your chapter - I'll put up some questions when I have a bit more time... this week has been crazy. But I am paying attention!
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    No rush at all! Thank you all for reading. :)
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    @Karilan

Sorry for taking so long to get this to you! I'm mostly caught up (I'm a few chapter behind on the newest generation) but I didn't want to leave you hanging.
    I really enjoyed how the legacy has been working out so far - I know this is mostly chosen by your fiancee, and I think it's worked out quite well so far, especially with the ways the characters have grown and changed - especially the relationship between the sisters and the relationship between Alicia and her daughters. Also, Akira. I like the way you've set this up as well - the diary entries - as that's a good way to get inside of the heads of the characters, and really lets their personalities shine.

Some questions:

1. I know that your fiancee makes most of the decisions for this legacy - can you clarify that a little bit more? (By which I mean: are there ground rules, or what he says goes? How does that stop him from choosing the same traits for people or the same careers for each other? Is he always there when you're playing? How do you reach him if he's not?)
    2. Sort of a follow up to the last question - if he's choosing everything, why doesn't he choose the heir as well?
    3. What was a moment in the story that surprised you?
    4. If you could go back and do anything over again, would you?
    5. Why did you decide to do 26 generations instead of 10?

Thanks!
  • Options
    @Karilan

Sorry for taking so long to get this to you! I'm mostly caught up (I'm a few chapter behind on the newest generation) but I didn't want to leave you hanging.
    I really enjoyed how the legacy has been working out so far - I know this is mostly chosen by your fiancee, and I think it's worked out quite well so far, especially with the ways the characters have grown and changed - especially the relationship between the sisters and the relationship between Alicia and her daughters. Also, Akira. I like the way you've set this up as well - the diary entries - as that's a good way to get inside of the heads of the characters, and really lets their personalities shine.

Some questions:

1. I know that your fiancee makes most of the decisions for this legacy - can you clarify that a little bit more? (By which I mean: are there ground rules, or what he says goes? How does that stop him from choosing the same traits for people or the same careers for each other? Is he always there when you're playing? How do you reach him if he's not?)
    2. Sort of a follow up to the last question - if he's choosing everything, why doesn't he choose the heir as well?

Thanks!

Thanks for reading Kyle! I thought you guys were only reading the first generation, not the whole thing!

I'll do my best to answer your questions:
    Specifically, he chooses the traits when sims age up, and he chooses the result of the random school/career scenario pop ups that come up, including career paths. I choose the career to begin with. When these decisions come up, I tell him about the character so far in case he's forgotten, and he bases his decision off of that. Sometimes he picks something that makes sense, but other times he picks things just to make it difficult for me. I prefer this kind of method over a trait randomizer because he puts more thought into it. I only play this household if he is at home and available to choose traits. There's nothing to stop him from choosing the same traits, except that he is interested and invested in building dynamic characters with me.

The last time I did a legacy was in Sims 2, and I let the community vote for the heir because I thought it was a lot of fun. I feel like if I let Jason choose their heir in this instance, he might choose their traits differently or purposefully make a really difficult sim for me to play! It's fun when voting time comes around, because he cheers for whomever he thinks is the worst sim just to torture challenge me.

In gen 1: Visitors to the apartment. Anna and Kali both visisted extremely frequently early in the story. Once the girls were born, they barely came over at all and I had to invite them over to interact with their respective god-daughters. I suspect key permission might reset after marriage, or maybe after someone new moves in?
    In gen 2: Brooke's love life. A lot of people made romantic advances towards her, yet it took me a long time to find the right person. The relationship bar crawled along like a snail on every date until she met Veer.

Maybe... Sometimes I go back and read the start of generation 1 and wonder if it's enough to get people interested to read the whole series. I wish I had taken more pictures back then, too.

I made it an alphabetacy instead of a legacy sort of by accident! I decided to name the heirs in order of the alphabet at first just to help myself keep track of what generation we were in. It felt silly to stop at J for no reason, so I decided I'd do a full 26 generations!

Thank you again for reading, and let me know if you have any follow up questions!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    Hello! I was wondering if you have room for another member in your circle? c:
    And is gen 3 early enough to be considered a "new" legacy? >w<
  • Options
    Huh, it's already 2 weeks and I just started reading. So yeah, sorry about that. I didn't expect to be this busy, I only have time to write my legacy and have no time to read. I think I'm a little bit less busy this week so hopefully I can binge them all as soon as I can.
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
  • Options
    Sheepiling wrote: »
    Hello! I was wondering if you have room for another member in your circle? c:
    And is gen 3 early enough to be considered a "new" legacy? >w<

@Sheepiling Sorry for the late reply, Are you still interested? I think there's room since more people get inactive in this circle. How new a legacy is relative but we didn't have many active members anyway so feel free to join. Let me know.
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
  • Options
    Huh, it's already 2 weeks and I just started reading. So yeah, sorry about that. I didn't expect to be this busy, I only have time to write my legacy and have no time to read. I think I'm a little bit less busy this week so hopefully I can binge them all as soon as I can.

No worries! I'm in no rush, and my story will still be here. :)

Welcome to the circle @Sheepiling !
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    Hey guys! I hope you all are doing well. It's been a long time - mostly because I've been pretty busy with holiday stuff. And I'll probably be very busy for a while. Because of this, I'm going to drop this reading circle for now to focus on my own. You guys have been incredible. Thank you!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @elifdapeton Yes, I'm still interested, if you guys want me!! Most of my legacy is screenshots with smaller captions, though I'm trying to incorporate more writing into it lately. It's always going to be mostly gameplay focused, but I do want to have more storytelling in gen 3 and onwards than I did in my first 2. The link in my signature is the one I'm talking about. :3

I'll go ahead and get started on The Keen Legacy since that's what you're reading this week! :D
    (if the on-going means that's the one we're reading this week and not that it's the only series that hasn't hit gen 10 yet? i'm kind of confused with that but I'll start with Keen Legacy anyways!) XD
  • Options
    Welcome @Sheepiling ! I just got caught up on the Keen Legacy as well.

I'm also curious about how you guys cycle the reading list as well. Do you return to previous legacies once you reach the end of the list and they have more writing done? Or are you always looking for new legacy writers and readers?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    @Karilan - I think what we discussed was cycling through the legacies, so going back to the beginning (of course, with people leaving or not participating, things have gotten kind of muddied).

@Sheepiling - Welcome! I think we're actually reading the Grace Legacy, but maybe that's just because that's the one I need to get caught up on. (Not that I'll say no to you reading through mine, ahahahaha).
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @superkyle221 Oops! I went ahead and was reading yours instead QwQ
    I hope you guys don't mind, I'll go ahead and participate on the discussion thingies for Keen Legacy >w<
    After that I'll get started on reading @Karilan 's right away!!!

I just looked at the first post when trying to find out who's story we were reading and didn't see elif's post that we're reading Grace Legacy now until I had already finished reading Keen! Dx

Anyways, reactions and responses for Keen Legacy are in the spoiler thingy~
    I can relate to both Snapdragon and Rose a lot. The way you show all the children dealing with their own issues from a dysfunctional family seems really realistic to me. It's so sad to read this but it's also a really good story and it's hard to stop reading. QwQ<3
    So, how about question time for the readers!

1. Even though Kingston is the Founder of the dynasty and "supposedly" the main character, earlier in the story he stayed out of the spotlight and sometimes just become a background character. Of course, this ultimately turned the spotlight to the kids and ended up having their characters developed more thoroughly, but what do you think Kingston's role in the story was?
    2. Now that I mentioned the kids, I'm gonna have to make you all choose. Who's your favorite out of four characters?
    3. The thing with the mother, well, at the first time you hear her premonition, do you believe them at first or do you jump into the "she's losing it" conclusion?

My answers :D

1. Honestly, I think Kingston taking a back seat and distancing himself from the family, staying at work too late, and not noticing what is going on is a realistic issue to have. His time to shine as the main character ended quickly, but doing so made the family's issues believable. I've seen situations like this happen in real life. His role in the story is the father of a broken family, doing things that are perfectly in character for that role imo. uvu

2. NOW THIS QUESTION IS MEAN!! I think even though this legacy is filled with drama, all of the characters are so realistic. I could see this happening in the real world. And I do like all of the characters in it so much because of this. But if I have to pick a favorite, it's probably a tie between Snapdragon and Lily.

3. I BELIEVED THE CURSE THING AT FIRST! I was thinking "oooooh yeee we gonna have some fantasy action goin' on in this legacy" and I was hype! And then it took a turn I wasn't expecting. I read too many fairy tales. >.>;

:blush: And here's some questions I have for @superkyle221

1. Do you have a place on your blog where you've posted your founder, spouse, and children's personality traits? I'm sorry if you have already posted this and I'm just blind. I'm not used to navigating wordpress. >w<

2. This family seems so realistic to me, so I was wondering where your inspiration for writing about them comes from? Did you or someone you know go through similar issues? Or do you just spend a lot of time with other stories? :3
  • Options
    For those who have read the first generation of my Grace legacy - I need some help for a little project!

What words/themes come to mind regarding Alicia's life and story arc? I'm trying to develop a title for her memoir.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    For those who have read the first generation of my Grace legacy - I need some help for a little project!

What words/themes come to mind regarding Alicia's life and story arc? I'm trying to develop a title for her memoir.

Hi! I finished reading all of your legacy today! XD

Words/themes for Alicia hmmm... Chaos.
    I don't know if there's a single word to describe this but: putting in the most effort she possibly can, but things still go wrong.

This comes to mind because of how much the apartment always breaks down on her to cause her trouble, and how things kept going wrong while raising Bethany and Brooke.

I also want to say that your legacy is amazing! I feel like I just got done reading a novel! :D

I actually have a question about Colby, now. Even though he's going to medical school, why has he never sought medication for his condition? I know you can't make the fear itself go away, but he could maybe look into medicine for anxiety to at least reduce how severely he reacts to germs. I've never known anyone with a phobia like that, though, so I don't know if they can be treated like anxiety symptoms are. But if it's something that causes him panic attacks, I would think that anxiety meds might be something that could help?
  • Options
    Sheepiling wrote: »

Hi! I finished reading all of your legacy today! XD

Words/themes for Alicia hmmm... Chaos.
    I don't know if there's a single word to describe this but: putting in the most effort she possibly can, but things still go wrong.

This comes to mind because of how much the apartment always breaks down on her to cause her trouble, and how things kept going wrong while raising Bethany and Brooke.

I also want to say that your legacy is amazing! I feel like I just got done reading a novel! :D

I actually have a question about Colby, now. Even though he's going to medical school, why has he never sought medication for his condition? I know you can't make the fear itself go away, but he could maybe look into medicine for anxiety to at least reduce how severely he reacts to germs. I've never known anyone with a phobia like that, though, so I don't know if they can be treated like anxiety symptoms are. But if it's something that causes him panic attacks, I would think that anxiety meds might be something that could help?

Hi @sheepiling ! Thank you for your suggestion regarding Alicia's theme, that helps me!

About Colby and medication, I actually hadn't considered it. I researched and talked to multiple people with the condition and only one had mentioned that anxiety meds calmed him but made him feel like he was under a tranquilizer all the time. It didn't take his mind off germs, it just made him too lazy to care about it.

As far as I learned from people, it was just a condition you learn to live with! It fit with Colby's traits and sounded like an interesting challenge for the legacy. Had he been chosen as heir, I imagine his thought process would have been full of paranoia and hilarity!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    @Sheepiling Sorry for taking so long to respond to you! I'm just back from vacation and so my head hasn't totally been in full story mode. Thanks for your comments, by the way!

(And nothing wrong with writing too many fairy tales... I do as well!)

As for your questions, my responses are under the spoiler tag:
    1. Do you have a place on your blog where you've posted your founder, spouse, and children's personality traits? I'm sorry if you have already posted this and I'm just blind. I'm not used to na

I haven't, actually! You can find it if you go to the family tree... which I think I included a link to it on Lily's page? Anyway, that has the traits of all of the characters, but nowhere on the blog. Not something I thought to do.

2. This family seems so realistic to me, so I was wondering where your inspiration for writing about them comes from? Did you or someone you know go through similar issues? Or do you just spend a lot of time with other stories? :3

I (luckily) haven't gone through similar issues as the children did, though I did base parts of them on myself, along with their traits. While I know people who have been through issues that are similar, this is mostly just fiction and I came up with it out of my own imagination.
    There will be a super personal arc coming up... in generation three... but that's not for a few months now :smile:
  • Options
    Hi @sheepiling ! Thank you for your suggestion regarding Alicia's theme, that helps me!

About Colby and medication, I actually hadn't considered it. I researched and talked to multiple people with the condition and only one had mentioned that anxiety meds calmed him but made him feel like he was under a tranquilizer all the time. It didn't take his mind off germs, it just made him too lazy to care about it.

As far as I learned from people, it was just a condition you learn to live with! It fit with Colby's traits and sounded like an interesting challenge for the legacy. Had he been chosen as heir, I imagine his thought process would have been full of paranoia and hilarity!

@Karilan Glad I was able to help! And that makes sense, the tranquilizer thing. I really hope he's able to make peace with his issues one way or another! :c

To be honest though I'm glad Cameron was chosen for heir because Karlee is the cutest sim everrrrrr QwQ<3

And @superkyle221 Yay! Thanks for answering my questions :D
    I'm hype for more! :o
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Hallooo! Just popping in since it's been a while since I've seen any posts in here x3

How was everyone's holidays? C: