Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Planet Coaster

ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
Just wondering if any of my fellow simmers out here on the forum have tried out Planet Coaster yet...along with what your thoughts are?

I've been rotating between Sims 4 and Planet Coaster for almost a year now. Both are amazing...at least I think :wink:

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I've played it. I didn't enjoy it which was surprising as I love Rollercoaster Tycoon 1,2 and 3. Maybe I should try it again. I just found the controls clunky but the game less of a management game and more of a theme park painter.
  • Options
    I've played it. I didn't enjoy it which was surprising as I love Rollercoaster Tycoon 1,2 and 3. Maybe I should try it again. I just found the controls clunky but the game less of a management game and more of a theme park painter.

Maybe you should give it another go! I found it a little hard to get used to after years of RCT 3, but now I love it. The coaster building tools and the camera are so much easier to use.

One of my favorites is the camera view that can be used when clicking on any visitor. It literally looks like you can see your park through their eyes. Camera bounces up and down with each step, and you can see what they see, whether they are riding or waiting in line haha

I feel like it's a pretty good park manager game, especially if you make the scenario settings more difficult. They added security and theft through a free patch, so you now have to deal with that as well.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I almost grabbed it on Steam summer sale and by the time I decided to buy it last minute, the sale was over. :/ So now I will wait for holiday sales.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    I almost grabbed it on Steam summer sale and by the time I decided to buy it last minute, the sale was over. :/ So now I will wait for holiday sales.

Oh sorry to hear. Hope you get it someday. I think it's a lot of fun.

Too bad our sims couldn't cross over games and visit the parks!
  • Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    I have way too many games that I've bought and either only played briefly or never played at all. And it's way too expensive for me to do that, so I haven't bought it yet. I'm thinking about it though; I really loved Roller Coaster Tycoon.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    ShaddBoi wrote: »

Maybe you should give it another go! I found it a little hard to get used to after years of RCT 3, but now I love it. The coaster building tools and the camera are so much easier to use.

One of my favorites is the camera view that can be used when clicking on any visitor. It literally looks like you can see your park through their eyes. Camera bounces up and down with each step, and you can see what they see, whether they are riding or waiting in line haha

I feel like it's a pretty good park manager game, especially if you make the scenario settings more difficult. They added security and theft through a free patch, so you now have to deal with that as well.

Yeah I've been thinking of trying it again. It's on sale at the moment via steam @Simasaurus09.

I found the level of customisation quite overwhelming. It's a good thing but can be overwhelming to a new player. I love watching other people play it. I find it quite relaxing!

Theft sounds interesting in a game.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I got it during steams summer sale. Played it a few times and was having a blast. Haven't touched it in a while though... grownup responsibilities like work really suck lol.

I'm glad I saw this though lol I forgot I had it. Sounds like a good game to unwind with tonight.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I pre-ordered this at the time (it was cheaper that way :D) and actually really love it. The tools to create whatever park you want are amazing, all the updates have been great and I enjoy the challenges. I have however not played it as much lately because it's become too hard on my CPU. Once I change it though I'll finally be able to play it again and this time without worrying about random crashes (hopefully ;))
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    It is very heavy on specs... If I didn't have the computer I have now, I wouldn't bother.

@MidnightAura Ah thanks for the heads up and it looks like the summer sale had it 33% off as well.

Yeah I'm worried it's going to be overwhelming. According to Steam, I have 43 hours to decide.
    I have way too many games that I've bought and either only played briefly or never played at all. And it's way too expensive for me to do that, so I haven't bought it yet. I'm thinking about it though; I really loved Roller Coaster Tycoon.
    Same here... $30 on sale is a good price but still a gamble if I don't end up playing it.
  • Options
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    I got it during steams summer sale. Played it a few times and was having a blast. Haven't touched it in a while though... grownup responsibilities like work really suck lol.

I'm glad I saw this though lol I forgot I had it. Sounds like a good game to unwind with tonight.

Haha I agree with you on the grownup responsibilities comment for sure! If only tasks in life were as easy as they are in Sims 4!

They have a spooky pack coming out tomorrow. It's supposedly going to add a ton of spooky content for dark rides and stuff. I'm eagerly waiting for that!
  • Options
    It is very heavy on specs... If I didn't have the computer I have now, I wouldn't bother.

@MidnightAura Ah thanks for the heads up and it looks like the summer sale had it 33% off as well.

Yeah I'm worried it's going to be overwhelming. According to Steam, I have 43 hours to decide.
    Same here... $30 on sale is a good price but still a gamble if I don't end up playing it.

I agree with the specs. Good point! I have a really powerful gaming PC so I often forget about that aspect, but I by it could really weigh a PC/laptop down.
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I pre-ordered this at the time (it was cheaper that way :D) and actually really love it. The tools to create whatever park you want are amazing, all the updates have been great and I enjoy the challenges. I have however not played it as much lately because it's become too hard on my CPU. Once I change it though I'll finally be able to play it again and this time without worrying about random crashes (hopefully ;))

Ugh sorry to hear about the crashes! Hope you get back to it soon, since you enjoyed it! It's always hard having to take a break from a game because of performance issues! I really hate that!

I know one thing...those challenges are certainly not easy, especially on the non-easy settings. They have stressed me out on occasion...feel like I'm working a second job haha
  • Options

I'm tempted to re buy it again myself whilst its on sale.

But like you I worry I would still dislike it and not play it too often.

The spooky pack looks interesting. I've been watching The Sims Supply and Nerd Cubed playing it. They show the game off well.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @MidnightAura @Simasaurus09 My "secret" to making the game less stressful was to not try to learn how to manage park, build rides, and build building all at the same times.

All the new ride and building design tools take some serious getting used to, so it is very easy to become frustrated or overwhelmed.

I kind of started with the sandbox mode to learn how to build things. Then you can save them as a blueprint for future use in the parks you are managing. I build some really cheap food stands and restrooms in sandbox, saved to blueprint, and then used these pretty inexpensive items in my management challenge until I got more money to buy bigger, more expensive stuff. Same went for coasters.
  • Options
    @MidnightAura @Simasaurus09 My "secret" to making the game less stressful was to not try to learn how to manage park, build rides, and build building all at the same times.

All the new ride and building design tools take some serious getting used to, so it is very easy to become frustrated or overwhelmed.

I kind of started with the sandbox mode to learn how to build things. Then you can save them as a blueprint for future use in the parks you are managing. I build some really cheap food stands and restrooms in sandbox, saved to blueprint, and then used these pretty inexpensive items in my management challenge until I got more money to buy bigger, more expensive stuff. Same went for coasters.

You can say that again! I found it a struggle and I've played (and play) Theme park, sim city, RT1, 2 and 3 cities skylines and parkitect. Basically a lot of design your own type games.

I hated the Planet Coasters controls. The path tool I found frustrating in particular.

I think the level of customisation can be a double edged sword. Its great you can customise to your hearts content but sometimes I don't want to have to customise say my shops, wall by wall and roof by roof. After a while I just wanted to place say a burger joint down and then get back to building rides not worrying about how pretty or not my shops look.

But I do appreciate you have the option to do that if that's something you want to do.

I didn't realise that about saving to blue prints!
  • Options

You can say that again! I found it a struggle and I've played (and play) Theme park, sim city, RT1, 2 and 3 cities skylines and parkitect. Basically a lot of design your own type games.

I hated the Planet Coasters controls. The path tool I found frustrating in particular.

I think the level of customisation can be a double edged sword. Its great you can customise to your hearts content but sometimes I don't want to have to customise say my shops, wall by wall and roof by roof. After a while I just wanted to place say a burger joint down and then get back to building rides not worrying about how pretty or not my shops look.

But I do appreciate you have the option to do that if that's something you want to do.

I get blown away what some of these people have built on YouTube! Some of their planet coaster creations are downright unbelievable! It would take me a year to do just one!

Blueprints are a huge help. I use them all the time, because you know exactly what your item will cost before you place it. If it's too much for your funds, you will know right away and can build something else simpler.

They recently added fireworks and video screens in the free summer update. I think the fireworks are way easier to manage than they were in RCT3, which is good thing.
  • Options

I get blown away what some of these people have built on YouTube! Some of their planet coaster creations are downright unbelievable! It would take me a year to do just one!

Blueprints are a huge help. I use them all the time, because you know exactly what your item will cost before you place it. If it's too much for your funds, you will know right away and can build something else simpler.

They recently added fireworks and video screens in the free summer update. I think the fireworks are way easier to manage than they were in RCT3, which is good thing.

@ShaddBoi I agree, some of the creations are amazing! It is tempting to give the game another go!
  • Options

@ShaddBoi I agree, some of the creations are amazing! It is tempting to give the game another go!

I think you should! Even the most devout simmers need a break from all those toddlers :wink:
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member

Haha I agree with you on the grownup responsibilities comment for sure! If only tasks in life were as easy as they are in Sims 4!

They have a spooky pack coming out tomorrow. It's supposedly going to add a ton of spooky content for dark rides and stuff. I'm eagerly waiting for that!

Ohh the spooky pack sounds interesting! Thanks for mentioning that, I'm way too out of the loop to have known otherwise lol. I'll be getting that for sure. Every good amusement park needs a spooky ride or two.

• Options
    Spooky stuff? :o A Halloween park sounds so cool.
  • Options

Ohh the spooky pack sounds interesting! Thanks for mentioning that, I'm way too out of the loop to have known otherwise lol. I'll be getting that for sure. Every good amusement park needs a spooky ride or two.

Yep comes out tomorrow! There's a couple of trailers out there on it. I think it's $10 and looks like it adds a bunch of features. This is perfect...been wanting a very dark ride!
  • Options
    Spooky stuff? :o A Halloween park sounds so cool.

Yup that should add a nice creepy theme to the parks. Can't wait!