Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Iron Seagull confirms the Controls are bad

Comments

• Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    That was a pretty nice review. It's understandable that porting a game like TS4 to console would result in a little awkwardness in the controls, but it's nice to see that console gamers are getting a straight port of the game. I remember reading about how previous Sims console ports were stripped-down versions of the games, since console hardware of the time couldn't really run the full games. Hopefully the controls will be refined a little more at launch, and I hope everyone planning to get the game on consoles will have fun with the game. ^_^
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    llamaking88llamaking88 Posts: 21 Member
    I don't think the controls are bad at all. I am actually really impressed with them. There are more and more games that are primarily played with a mouse making it over to consoles with good controls. The days of not being able to play those types of games on consoles are over.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited November 2017
    I don't think the controls are bad at all. I am actually really impressed with them. There are more and more games that are primarily played with a mouse making it over to consoles with good controls. The days of not being able to play those types of games on consoles are over.

Ive heard a lot of good things said about the controls in the reviews ive watched, people seem to be having more of an issue with the UI scale and the fact it doesnt fit their screen size and you end up with the UI in the middle of the screen
  • Options
    fazemanpressfazemanpress Posts: 206 Member
    I'm really glad that EA gaves us a free trial for 10 hours, at first i was bit hesitant and worried that the bad controls from peoples review.

I been playing since Wednesday the free trial, and at first it was very frustration, at first as i was trying to rotate the object i didn't know how to do it, and what was going on as i couldn't see all of my ULand i was so ready to give up on this game.

I'm really glad i went back to it and explored it more and the control menu is your best friend. Once you know the controls, its like you playing it on the pc.

I cant wait till Tuesday to finally get it and play it :)
  • Options
    LauraMSimLauraMSim Posts: 88 Member
    This is why i dont trust reviews. Everyone i know that had the free trial or EA said the controls were hard at first but they love it. Its just like PC.
    Sims 4 console player, former PC player.
    Waiting for all packs to go on console.
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Karlia wrote: »
    So, is this iron seagull person the next LGR?
    Karlia wrote: »

I don't think so. For one Iron Seagull likes the sims 4!

Iron Seagull likes the Sims 4. He's just being honest.
    LGR pretends to like The Sims, to get views, but has pretty much hated every pack since The Sims 3 base game.

I don't know why people even trust LGR's judgement, when he praised a universally panned, game just because it has Duke Nekem in it.
    The guy lives in the 90's and hates anything that doesn't seem Retro. Which is why he likes Duke Newton Forever even though the game is trash.

He also praised The Sims 3 Midnight Hollow pack and Roaring Heights pack, despite they were $50 US, and said they were expensive but "worth the price", because he likes them. Yet bashed every Sims 3 EP except Seasons saying they weren't worth the money.

It's like, "I like this pack so it's worth it" rather than informative reviews. We literally get more content that's "worth it" in a Sims 4 stuff pack, yet he thinks it's a rip off. Go figure. Yet is happy paying for a $50 world that comes with less items and gameplay, and is mostly a new way to look at an existing game. But when The Sims 4 does it, it's "set dressing" when in reality, new worlds in The Sims 3 were also set dressing.

Same exact world, different set (when it comes to Store Worlds he's praising).
    Which there is nothing wrong with, but at least be consistent in your arguments.

I haven't understood the fascination with LGR as well. The Sims 4 criticizers that like him are predominantly hardcore story or legacy players that take every little thing in the game very seriously, yet they praise a person that opens toilet stores and created ridiculous sims. Have they seen the dogs he created for his review of the EP? This is definitely not a person that takes the sims series seriously. They basically like him just because he is the only semi famous person in the community that bashes the game.
  • Options
    SeekersLegacySeekersLegacy Posts: 16 New Member
    Good thing the review was proven wrong about the controls being bad because they really aren’t. They’re more than manageable.
  • Options
    Faye_ButtonsFaye_Buttons Posts: 16 Member
    I've been a solid PC player of The Sims and am a rubbish console player so was worried but honestly I think the controls are really intuitive and apart from a few extreme zooms I've not had an issue. Also on game install it gets you to size the game to your screen so does this not fix any UI issues?
  • Options
    JPNekoJPNeko Posts: 296 Member
    I don't think the controls are bad. The main problem for me is that sometimes they become unresponsive for no apparent reason. It must be a bug because my PS4 console and controller are new. When controls work as intended, I don't have any problems with my gameplay.
  • Options
    OrlithNightfireOrlithNightfire Posts: 1 New Member
    I've found the controls a nightmare at the moment. Not being able to click pop up overly even the pause menu it won't let me select it keeps popping round the UI greyed out below. It's game breaking for me at the moment. I would have bought it on the pc but seen as my pc is now being 🐸🐸🐸🐸 with Sims 3 it will prob be worse with 4 so it was the cheeper option to get it on my ps4.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited November 2017
    I am having a really hard time with my Controller, to be honest. Well, if you are used to the pc Version like me you might be having a really hard time adapting. However, everybody who is new to the series or has only played console titles should be fine.

:s
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    Faye_ButtonsFaye_Buttons Posts: 16 Member
    From what I'm reading it seems most people saying they're having control issues have a PS4, i'm using an Xbox One and it's fine so maybe there's a fix that needs to happen there.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited November 2017

LGR pretends to like The Sims, to get views, but has pretty much hated every pack since The Sims 3 base game.

I don't know why people even trust LGR's judgement, when he praised a universally panned, game just because it has Duke Nekem in it.
    The guy lives in the 90's and hates anything that doesn't seem Retro. Which is why he likes Duke Newton Forever even though the game is trash.

He also praised The Sims 3 Midnight Hollow pack and Roaring Heights pack, despite they were $50 US, and said they were expensive but "worth the price", because he likes them. Yet bashed every Sims 3 EP except Seasons saying they weren't worth the money.

It's like, "I like this pack so it's worth it" rather than informative reviews. We literally get more content that's "worth it" in a Sims 4 stuff pack, yet he thinks it's a rip off. Go figure. Yet is happy paying for a $50 world that comes with less items and gameplay, and is mostly a new way to look at an existing game. But when The Sims 4 does it, it's "set dressing" when in reality, new worlds in The Sims 3 were also set dressing.

Which there is nothing wrong with, but at least be consistent in your arguments.

Pretends to like the sims to get views? When has he ever pretended to like the Sims 4? He DOES like the sims 3 and 2 so I don't get how he is pretending. Also, newsflash, all the DLC for sims games is overpriced when it first releases so thats hardly not a true statement. $40 for a world in the sims 3 WAS ridiculous and $40 for expansions in sims 4 that don't add anywhere near the gameplay of expansions in the sims 3 for the same price are also overpriced.

Also, ironic you are telling another user that they like everything about sims 4 and its good to be critical when you are known on this forum for defending everything EA does and being downright nasty and arguing with people who are upset with certain things.....thats REALLY hypocritical if you ask me.....
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited November 2017
    Controller layout was easy to learn for me. Got it in 1 day and I like it. CAS and Livemode work similar with the controls. I'm playing the PS4 Version.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    TheSimer wrote: »

I haven't understood the fascination with LGR as well. The Sims 4 criticizers that like him are predominantly hardcore story or legacy players that take every little thing in the game very seriously, yet they praise a person that opens toilet stores and created ridiculous sims. Have they seen the dogs he created for his review of the EP? This is definitely not a person that takes the sims series seriously. They basically like him just because he is the only semi famous person in the community that bashes the game.

While I used to think LGR was amusing, I think I changed my mind at the Cats&Dogs review.

You know what it was? It wasn't the places he said it lacked. It was the way he gushed all over it. I mean honestly, he clearly enjoyed it. He wanted to know more about whether his pets were tired or hungry etc but whatever, for the most part it was nothing but praise.

Then he says "It's not worth $40" and compares the level of programming that went into it to be on a level with a Game Pack - even with the improved CAP, full-sized world with a neighbourhood system, new live career, and the way he likes non-controlled pets. What more can an Expansion Pack offer? A lot of people on here have issues with pets that can't be controlled and I don't really care about them, they can like it or not like it, but LGR said he likes it that way.

So it wasn't that he didn't like the pack. He clearly liked the pack, but STILL didn't think it was worth the price, which is a sure sign of somebody who was biased against the game from the start. In fact a lot of packs are bashed on price by him as he says it's okay but not worth the price. If a game is really good and you like it, then price shouldn't be an object in the review - price is simply a factor in whether you can afford it.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Blackscar2Blackscar2 Posts: 8 New Member
    ...idk about you guys but I got use to the controls 30 minutes into the game for Ps4 (I'm not sure if Xbox is different cause ps4 utilities the touch pad) and once that hump was past playing the game controlling my sims comes naturally.
  • Options
    JPNekoJPNeko Posts: 296 Member
    I am getting used to the controls now. It was hard the first day, but probably that was in part because I never played on a console before and in part because of a few bugs in the game.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited November 2017
    well, I still can't get used to this freaking acceleration of the Cursor :( . I hope there will be an option to disable and have it on a constant Speed Level eventually.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Schantal wrote: »

Pretends to like the sims to get views? When has he ever pretended to like the Sims 4? He DOES like the sims 3 and 2 so I don't get how he is pretending. Also, newsflash, all the DLC for sims games is overpriced when it first releases so thats hardly not a true statement. $40 for a world in the sims 3 WAS ridiculous and $40 for expansions in sims 4 that don't add anywhere near the gameplay of expansions in the sims 3 for the same price are also overpriced.

Also, ironic you are telling another user that they like everything about sims 4 and its good to be critical when you are known on this forum for defending everything EA does and being downright nasty and arguing with people who are upset with certain things.....thats REALLY hypocritical if you ask me.....

1. He hates every Sims 3 Pack except Late Night, Generations and Seasons. He admitted this before The Sims 4 came out. But now he acts like The Sims 3 is the best ever.

2. The Sims 4 EP's not "adding the same amount of gameplay" is completely down to personal opinion. The packs (minus Get Together) all add a lot of gameplay, when I've had discussions with people who make these claims, they finally admit that when you break down each pack, the Sims 4 doesn't offer less, just less things they want. The Sims 3 EP's feel bigger due to bigger worlds. But overall, they add around the same. (break each EP down and compare, and you'll see).

3. That last statement is a fabricated lie. This is literally a thread about me complaining about the console game. I also have made several complaints about The Sims 4. You basically said I never complain, in a thread about me complaining.

I enjoy The Sims 4. There are a lot of people who try to make The Sims 4 to be worse than it is. Or overtalk the previous games.

Not to mention, I have religiously complained about Get To Work being broken since Get Together came out. In fact, I've had to defend myself against people who claim I'm being unfair to developers, because I'm being "impatient" because I've only given them 2 years to fix it, and I should give them longer.

They are literally selling a broken game as we speak. Not minor bugs, but actually broken Expansion.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Controller layout was easy to learn for me. Got it in 1 day and I like it. CAS and Livemode work similar with the controls. I'm playing the PS4 Version.

I am the same, picked the controls up straight away and i prefer it to pc
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I must say while other parts of the game resembles the PC version, the controller part does need some tweaking or the best scenario that can possibly play out the consoles get the capability of using an mouse. The Controller is not as precise as an mouse and that is an problem for
    me, for some it may be an turn off and gradually any interest in the game may diminish. It did for me in Sims 3 and Sims 2 console versions.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    MrStrangeMrStrange Posts: 66 Member
    Was worried because of what I've been reading, but I had the hang of it pretty much day one of playing after a bit. They're kinda weird, but that's just because they are unfamiliar.
    I think some buttons were unnecessary, like the triggers snapping you to another Sim, but the controls aren't bad.

If you're not going to give an alternate control scheme, here are some ideas. May not all be in the same post. :*
    Triggers could have been used to cycle through the menus in the bottom right corner of the screen. Needs, Simology, etc.
    (I don't have the controls right in front of me at the moment, will tweak later).
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    That was a pretty nice review. It's understandable that porting a game like TS4 to console would result in a little awkwardness in the controls, but it's nice to see that console gamers are getting a straight port of the game. I remember reading about how previous Sims console ports were stripped-down versions of the games, since console hardware of the time couldn't really run the full games. Hopefully the controls will be refined a little more at launch, and I hope everyone planning to get the game on consoles will have fun with the game. ^_^

Yes but its already stripped down for me
    No CC
    No mods
    No gallery

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    crashhat141crashhat141 Posts: 90 Member
    With all the problems this game has at the moment, people are complaining about controls, really? The controls should be the last thing peop,e should be complaining about right now
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited December 2017
    With all the problems this game has at the moment, people are complaining about controls, really? The controls should be the last thing peop,e should be complaining about right now

The people complaining about the controls may already own it on PC. My daughter purchased it for herself on PS4 and asked me to try it. I see the console version as subpar, and the bad wonky controls are only part of the reason. Guess I see mouse controls as superior to the game controller. I also play with mods to make the game run better on PC so the glitches and lag seen on console are normally just fixed by certain mods on PC. I also use the gallery for extensively, so the fact it i s not available was a big turn off. I can build a home 5 times faster on PC as well. Learned that when my daughter asked for assistance building.