Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I feel like sims 3 went in a different art direction then the other sims games

Comments

• Options
    Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm personally just sad that sims didn't take this direction with Sims 4. They could've made so many amazing worlds with the possibilities back then. If they continued their art style, it would've ended up something like that (probably more like the final fantasy one than the tomb raider one). You can't say Sims 2 and Sims 4 have similar artstyles. Maybe if you look at it now and don't take the technological possibilities into consideration, but Sims 2 was really as realistic as it could get back then. @Namaya92 I really liked the art work in the videos yes it would be nice if sims worlds could look like that but as for saying that sims 2 and sims 4 have a similar art styles even if your right and it was the best they could do at the time isn't it possible that they liked sims 2 so much they wanted sims 4 to look similar to it

I worked for a gaming website when Sims 4 was released and had to write around 15 news articles a day. Many of them were about the Sims 4. I actually remember them telling us that they regretted the way Sims 3 had so many performance issues and now wanted to make a Sims 4 that could run smoothly for their entire target group. Their slogan was that Sims 4 would be for both the old fans and the new people. They went for a strategy where they made a game that wouldn't be hard to step into for young teens/kids who probably have a PC they still share with their parents or something similar. They don't have their own custom built monsters yet like a lot of the sims 3 older players who have been playing sims since the very first original game. This is why they made Sims 4 the way it is now. I think they underestimated how picky their current player base was though. Sims 4 got pretty low ratings for a huge game like that, mostly because it was reviewed by people who were already familiar with the Sims series (that's how my editor selected me as reviewer as well, since I had been playing sims since the start and knew exactly what I was talking about when it came to the series). In the end, instead of keeping their old playerbase and increasing it with a new influx of players, they kind of exchanged a big part of their old playerbase with new players. I'm sure that Sims 4 still sells a lot of copies though, because there will always be new young players to try it out and a lot of old players had hopes for this game for a while and bought the base game and maybe a few expansions before they gave up (or they still keep buying it hoping that one day it'll surpass sims 3).

I'm pretty sure they did look at sims 2, because they brought back the loading screens and smaller neighbourhoods. Sims 2 was one of their smoothest games and for a 2004 game, the way it looks, that was quite a big accomplishment. But to make your game look like a 2004 game on purpose because you are scared for bugs or lag, that's of course the weirdest move you can make as a game developer unless you are one of those indie developers that goes for that pixelated retro look. Developers with a budget as big as The Sims's should've been able to make a Sims game with Final Fantasy level graphics and be able to optimize it so that it runs smoothly on most pc's. EA most definitely decided to go for the 'low cost, lots of moneys' route instead.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    I'm personally just sad that sims didn't take this direction with Sims 4. They could've made so many amazing worlds with the possibilities back then. If they continued their art style, it would've ended up something like that (probably more like the final fantasy one than the tomb raider one). You can't say Sims 2 and Sims 4 have similar artstyles. Maybe if you look at it now and don't take the technological possibilities into consideration, but Sims 2 was really as realistic as it could get back then. @Namaya92 I really liked the art work in the videos yes it would be nice if sims worlds could look like that but as for saying that sims 2 and sims 4 have a similar art styles even if your right and it was the best they could do at the time isn't it possible that they liked sims 2 so much they wanted sims 4 to look similar to it

I worked for a gaming website when Sims 4 was released and had to write around 15 news articles a day. Many of them were about the Sims 4. I actually remember them telling us that they regretted the way Sims 3 had so many performance issues and now wanted to make a Sims 4 that could run smoothly for their entire target group. Their slogan was that Sims 4 would be for both the old fans and the new people. They went for a strategy where they made a game that wouldn't be hard to step into for young teens/kids who probably have a PC they still share with their parents or something similar. They don't have their own custom built monsters yet like a lot of the sims 3 older players who have been playing sims since the very first original game. This is why they made Sims 4 the way it is now. I think they underestimated how picky their current player base was though. Sims 4 got pretty low ratings for a huge game like that, mostly because it was reviewed by people who were already familiar with the Sims series (that's how my editor selected me as reviewer as well, since I had been playing sims since the start and knew exactly what I was talking about when it came to the series). In the end, instead of keeping their old playerbase and increasing it with a new influx of players, they kind of exchanged a big part of their old playerbase with new players. I'm sure that Sims 4 still sells a lot of copies though, because there will always be new young players to try it out and a lot of old players had hopes for this game for a while and bought the base game and maybe a few expansions before they gave up (or they still keep buying it hoping that one day it'll surpass sims 3).

I'm pretty sure they did look at sims 2, because they brought back the loading screens and smaller neighbourhoods. Sims 2 was one of their smoothest games and for a 2004 game, the way it looks, that was quite a big accomplishment. But to make your game look like a 2004 game on purpose because you are scared for bugs or lag, that's of course the weirdest move you can make as a game developer unless you are one of those indie developers that goes for that pixelated retro look. Developers with a budget as big as The Sims's should've been able to make a Sims game with Final Fantasy level graphics and be able to optimize it so that it runs smoothly on most pc's. EA most definitely decided to go for the 'low cost, lots of moneys' route instead.

I'm really only talking about the art here not which game I enjoy playing more there are lots of threads like that around here and I don't want this to be one of them also I happen to really like retro things myself movies games clothing big fan @Namaya92
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I'm really only talking about the art here not which game I enjoy playing more there are lots of threads like that around here and I don't want this to be one of them also I happen to really like retro things myself movies games clothing big fan @Namaya92

I'm talking about the art too. You said you think Sims 2 and Sims 4 have the same style. I say that's not true because Sims 2 has a realistic style (which might look cartoony now because it's a game from 2004) while Sims 4 went for a cartoony style. Sims 2 wasn't able to be any more realistic than it is. If sims 4 continued down the realistic path of the Sims 2 and created something in the same style, it'd look like the other games I showed you who also have a realistic or semi-realistic style. I prefer realistic style and will forever not appreciate Sims 4 for going this simplistic and cartoony thing instead. I simply explained to you why Sims 4 took the (DIFFERENT) direction they took compared to the older series. Not because they liked 2004 graphics more than modern day graphics, but because they wanted to create a game for low end pc's which was simple enough for any new fan to understand. Did you take a look at the video's @JoAnne65 posted? That should speak words about the different styles of Sims 2 and Sims 4.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    This is what cartoony looked like back in 2004 btw. Doesn't look like Sims 2 at all if you ask me:

Game-Over-1.jpg
    (a tv show called Game Over from 2004)

2cp9fro.jpg
    (a game called Leisure suit larry: magna 🐸🐸🐸🐸 loude also from 2004. I'd advice not to google this game btw it's quite rated. Took me a while to find an appropriate photo lol.)
  • Options
    This is what cartoony looked like back in 2004 btw. Doesn't look like Sims 2 at all if you ask me:

Game-Over-1.jpg

2cp9fro.jpg
    (a game called Leisure suit larry: magna plum loude also from 2004. I'd advice not to google this game btw it's quite rated. Took me a while to find an appropriate photo lol.)

saying that is what cartoon art was back in 2004 is a weak argument since there are many different cartoon styles
  • Options

Game-Over-1.jpg

2cp9fro.jpg
    (a game called Leisure suit larry: magna plum loude also from 2004. I'd advice not to google this game btw it's quite rated. Took me a while to find an appropriate photo lol.)

saying that is what cartoon art was back in 2004 is a weak argument since there are many different cartoon styles

Ignoring the valid arguments I made because you don't have any arguments to counter them is also weak? Cartoony looked nowhere near what Sims 2 looks like back in 2004. How can you not see that? You still didn't answer wether you looked at JoAnne's videos. I feel like you're only seeing what you want to see and you just ignore everything else (like many sims 4 players).
  • Options

Game-Over-1.jpg

2cp9fro.jpg

and saying stuff like this to try it out and a lot of old players had hopes for this game for a while and bought the base game and maybe a few expansions before they gave up (or they still keep buying it hoping that one day it'll surpass sims 3).

or calling me a blind sim 4 player is talking about what game you like better not the art
    and I happen to have all the sims 3 game and I had sim 3 pets on ps3 and I had sims 2 stuff as well
  • Options

Game-Over-1.jpg

2cp9fro.jpg

Ignoring the valid arguments I made because you don't have any arguments to counter them is also weak? Cartoony looked nowhere near what Sims 2 looks like back in 2004. How can you not see that? You still didn't answer wether you looked at JoAnne's videos. I feel like you're only seeing what you want to see and you just ignore everything else (like many sims 4 players).

yes I did look at @JoAnne65 stuff
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    One can still be blind when talking about an art style? You are not making a lot of sense right now. And since you did look at it why don't you explain to me from those videos how those cooking styles are the same? :') Like JoAnne said, to say that is an insult to Sims 2s high quality animations.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Game-Over-1.jpg

2cp9fro.jpg

yes I did look at @JoAnne65 stuff though that really shouldn't matter if I did or not

• Options
    Why shouldn't it matter? It shows the difference between Sims 2 and Sims 4 ART STYLES, something you are claiming to be the same? Ohh well, I'm out of here, live a happy life in your sims 4 bubble, idc anymore.
  • Options
    Why shouldn't it matter? It shows the difference between Sims 2 and Sims 4 ART STYLES, something you are claiming to be the same? Ohh well, I'm out of here, live a happy life in your sims 4 bubble, idc anymore.

see this is what I'm talking about your implying that I like sims 4 better when I said nothing of the kind thats not what I want this topic to be about
  • Options
    edited August 2017

see this is what I'm talking about your implying that I like sims 4 better when I said nothing of the kind thats not what I want this topic to be about

I'm saying you live in a sims 4 bubble if you think the monstrosity that is sims 4 is the same style as sims 2. I played sims 2 most out of all sims games and simply can't stand the fact that you keep claiming it looks like sims 4 while it's so much more beautiful, detailed and realistic than Sims 4. And when you get arguments posted here that prove you're wrong, you simply ignore them. It's very frustrating which is why I decide this is my last post here in this topic.
    Post edited by Namaya92 on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

the way the sims move doesn't have a whole lot to do with art styles and I never said they were the same
    animation is a whole other subject
  • Options
    for you guys who are interested in learning how to draw the books by Tom Bancroft are great and simguru kimmi said she really likes this book for drawing clothing
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Game-Over-1.jpg

2cp9fro.jpg
    Talking about graphics: I loved Leisure Suit Larry when it looked like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

(yes, I'm old)
    When I heard they had modernized the game I was over the moon and bought it (the version you are referring to here). That was a huge disappointment.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Game-Over-1.jpg

2cp9fro.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

(yes, I'm old)
    When I heard they had modernized the game I was over the moon and bought it (the version you are referring to here). That was a huge disappointment.

I like your pic I really like old games though I've never played this one @JoAnne65
  • Options
    KethKeth Posts: 165 Member
    Personally, I feel that the way the Sims look in every iteration is pretty much what I would expect. Not that I think they're all good but I think they're all reflective of the time they were made.

I like the gameplay of 3 better than 4 but if I didn't have the NRaas mods I'd be going nuts.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Game-Over-1.jpg

2cp9fro.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

(yes, I'm old)

I like your pic I really like old games though I've never played this one @JoAnne65
    It was a quest like game without any fighting. Exactly what I'd still like ;)

I understand you are referring to art style, but I just fail to see how Sims 4 resembles Sims 2 except for the loading screens. I genuinely don't see it. Sims 3's and Sims 2's art style really look very similar to me (I've in fact looked at pictures on these boards thinking it was Sims 3 but it turned out to be Sims 2) and so do the sims in their behaviour (a lot of the basic animations were even copied). Sims in 4 are designed to look cartoony (I even like creating them that way), but I really don't see how the same would go for Sims 2. I do think they wanted to bring humour back into the game, but I feel they tried to accomplish it in a different way than in 1 and 2. I do agree out of the four, Sims 3 probably caters fans who prefer their game more realistic the best. But it's still far from really realistic and there's a lot of humour to be found. And to me Sims 4 doesn't look closer to Sims 2 than 3 does. The difference in approach (both art style wise as gameplay wise) is too significant in my opinion.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    neither look similar to 2 in my opinion.
    3 went for hyperrealism (or what it could do with that at the time) and 4 went for the more animated feel.
    I would actually say that the style of 2 is in the middle of that. I thought it was the best style for the game because in sims 3, the realism is very much disrupted when the parts of the game that have to be cartoony happen, (like spinning into clothes, for example). In 4, you don't have that disconnect, but that's because the feeling of realism doesn't exist in the first place.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @KaikoMikkusu Beautiful pictures from the previous page :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Everything in sims 4 is la la land, and the background keeps you from making the kind of town you want even if you delete all the lots. Nothing seems to fit. if you wanted a western word, or alien, or run down the background spoils it. Not so in the other sim games. I can change my world anyway I want to play.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited August 2017
    I find it funny, the people who say that The Sims 3 isn't cartoony. The conversation of sim animation while preparing food came up earlier in this topic, funny right after reading that, I saw some of that cartoony animation in The Sims 3:

(Gotta love how perfectly the doggy happened to be posed in this picture, lol)
    iehO3Kx.jpg
    jBztKiX.jpg

And then, of course, this happened, which is the very definition of cartoony!:

DBwjrSW.jpg

I don't get this idea that The Sims 3 is all about hyper-realism. The Sims 3 has plenty of cartoony expressions and animations, and the sims don't look realistic unless you plaster all kinds of CC on them, as is the case with any other The Sims game.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    BariSaxy wrote: »
    I find it funny, the people who say that The Sims 3 isn't cartoony. The conversation of sim animation while preparing food came up earlier in this topic, funny right after reading that, I saw some of that cartoony animation in The Sims 3:

(Gotta love how perfectly the doggy happened to be posed in this picture, lol)
    iehO3Kx.jpg
    jBztKiX.jpg

And then, of course, this happened, which is the very definition of cartoony!:

DBwjrSW.jpg

I don't get this idea that The Sims 3 is all about hyper-realism. The Sims 3 has plenty of cartoony expressions and animations, and the sims don't look realistic unless you plaster all kinds of CC on them, as is the case with any other The Sims game.

lol great pics @BariSaxy I think they should bring back the burnt look for sims 5
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Evalen wrote: »
    Everything in sims 4 is la la land, and the background keeps you from making the kind of town you want even if you delete all the lots. Nothing seems to fit. if you wanted a western word, or alien, or run down the background spoils it. Not so in the other sim games. I can change my world anyway I want to play.

yes caw is really nice I think the reason we wont have that for sims 4 is because sims 4 is a live service
    but I'm sure people could do some really nice worlds with it's art style as well if it had caw don't think it ever will though
    which is to bad it would be really fun to see what people come up with
    Post edited by comicsforlife on