Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Arguing with the Watcher

My sims do it ALL the time, so I decided I would give it a try. It rarely does them any good, but sometimes they have a valid point. :D So here is some background for this argument:

Earlier this week it was inferred I am a sim. (Don't get smug, if I am so are you!) In my many arguments for why I am NOT a sim, I stated my painting skill was at zero. Someone (who denies they are the Watcher - huh) posted a rebuttal.
Painting skill zero: Didn't bother to take a class or have the skill books read to you as a toddler first, did you? Randomly slopping paint on a canvas gives you something to hang in your living room, it doesn't give you that first skill point.

And yet - as a child, home with strep throat for a week, I painted along with William Alexander in The Magic of Oil Painting on Public Broadcast Television every day. And in high school his successor, Bob Ross, taught me how to paint "happy little trees". That should at least rate 1 skill point! :/ Combined with my other arguments, if I am a sim, I declare this game is bugged. You need to take me back to an earlier save, Watcher! B)

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    A whole week or two out of your entire life, eh? Sounds like you are running a mod or have been placed in a version of the game that causes skills to decay if they aren't being used over time.

I still claim that I am not your Watcher, but if I were this kind of negotiation would be pointless. When was the last time your sims had an actual argument with you, their player, and they won? With testingcheats, MC's Total Annihilation, and even just the Quit button at our fingertips (not to mention the emergency power off button on our computers), we have the upper hand over them at all times. Or so many of us have deluded ourselves into thinking.

In fact, I have no idea what compelled me to respond to this but the force was pretty strong. I wonder if there are levels of Watcherness and, without realizing it, I might have been dragooned into being some sort of administrative assistant to the real ones? No wonder I'm tired all the time these days... :D
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    Hey, if you say I haven't got enough LTR points for a Young Again potion, the best I can do is try and convince the Watcher to go back to a previous save.

Maybe starting a new game is where the idea of reincarnation comes from...hmmm...as long as I don't come back as Don Lothario. People tend to delight in killing him. Wow! I'm getting good at this. I should write a book Simtology - the New Religion by Ronnette L Hubardi. What do you think? Bestseller??
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Be careful what you wish for. You might end up reincarnated as a Bonehilda or a cow from the Farm Fresh store set. Or a taxi cab driver. Good luck with your life's progression if you pick up one of those identities, although the cow in particular does seem to have a pretty easy life.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I am under the impression that if we ARE sims, the sims that we play is significantly different from that which the "watcher" - I prefer term god/almighty/controller - is playing. I do not think they would give us our own sims that similar/realistic to theirs in case we found out the secrets and overthrew them. As why, as much as we mod and cheat, our sims will never be akin to real life.
  • Options
    GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    What's this whole Watcher thing you guys are talking about?
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • Options
    MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    Not sure which iteration is originated with, but I first became aware of the Watcher through Sims Medieval. The opening montage of the original game had a Patrick Stewart-like voice stating that we, the players, are the Watcher, the reigning deity of Sims.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • Options
    Yes, the Watcher is the Sims god from Medieval times. Since there is no place of worship in "later" times they may have a different name for us now or just call us annoying.
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    36165838141_896e286e4c.jpg

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    Patrick Stewart-like voice
    A Patrick Stewart-like voice? I don't think so.

• Options
    Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    I think it's pretty obvious that we are an advanced version of our current Sims game. It's all about Simception. In Sims 3, they play Sims 1! So, our universe is Sims 5. This is also why we will never get a sequel to Sims 4, because we already are Sims 5 ourselves (and why Sims 4 had to be a completely different game, otherwise we'd have to evolve into sims 6).
  • Options
    Patrick Stewart's voice is a Pat Stewart-like voice. Although, the narrator was uncredited in a Star Trek movie.
    That IMDB listing is really odd because every other source I can find clearly states that it was the man himself, and not a soundalike. And besides, EA is well above stuff like that. If they want Patrick Stewart to narrate a Sims intro, they'll get Patrick Stewart to narrate a Sims intro.

• Options
    Patrick Stewart is listed in the credits for TSM as the movie narrator.
  • Options
    I feel like you cant mistake Patrick Stewart.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    cleo00 wrote: »
    I feel like you cant mistake Patrick Stewart.

Exactly. If it isn't Patrick Stewart, you'll know. You can't just pretend to be him. You don't pretend to be Morgan Freeman or Arnie either. People will know.
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited August 2017

Exactly. If it isn't Patrick Stewart, you'll know. You can't just pretend to be him. You don't pretend to be Morgan Freeman or Arnie either. People will know.
    DON'T ARGUE!

35921472010_46b40cddf6.jpg

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    I feel like if I were a sim I would occasionally wake up in the morning to find that my skin had been replaced with that pitch black skin. And, that I would occasionally walk down the street and see other sims that had the same problem. As my skins inexplicably disappear on me. I suppose maybe my watcher doesn't use mods, but if this is the case I would have other obvious telltale signs such as blur.

Perhaps a more obvious reason for why I know I'm not as sim is that my hair gets wet when I take a shower and I don't get every job I apply for. And, I don't get promoted every other week. I did water the garden today and think "I wish I had fairy powers." I suppose this can be explained simply by my watcher opting not give me fairy powers or choosing not to buy Supernatural.
  • Options
    MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    Wow... Didn't mean to start a full-on debate as to whether Patrick Stewart did voice work in TSM. It'd been so long since I'd heard the original intro, I wasn't actually sure if it was him, or just someone who sounded remarkably close to him. I figured saying it was Stewart-like was close enough.

I'm just going to go fetch the cone of shame now...
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • Options

I'm just going to go fetch the cone of shame now...

My cat doesnt need hers anymore if you want it ;)
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    Simception?

ko8oo.jpg

My (broken IRL) ankle makes me look like I've got some bad CC on, but I don't know if it's my hair or those horrid shoes from Crinrict's blog. Who wants to help me figure out which?
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif