Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I absolutely cannot get rid of this CC

lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
And it's driving me crazy!

I spent ~12 hours looking fr the file before I finally found it and deleted it from my DCBackup folder. Cleared my cache afterward, more than once, and it's not in my launcher... but it is still in my game!

How on earth do I get rid of this CC? Instructions in plain English, rather than technical jargon, would be much appreciated.
I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif

Comments

• Options
    MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    Have you downloaded anything off the Exchange? If so, it might be in .package format, which means you'll have to uninstall the Exchange item in order to get rid of the CC.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • Options
    Have you downloaded anything off the Exchange? If so, it might be in .package format, which means you'll have to uninstall the Exchange item in order to get rid of the CC.

Not recently~ I downloaded some stuff a few months back, but deleted it all (or so I thought) just a few hours later.

I removed my SavedSims folder and, according to my launcher, I don't have any installed Sims. I have no idea where this CC came from, as it only popped up recently... 5 months after I got rid of all the stuff I downloaded.

As far as I'm aware, I don't have any Exchange items in my game beyond 2 hairstyles that I've had for years and have never caused any issues.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited July 2017
    Have you tried removing your Library folder and then launching the game and checking to see whether the CC is present? Maybe it's on a lot or household?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    Have you tried removing your Library folder and then launching the game and checking to see whether the CC is present? Maybe it's on a lot or household?

I haven't downloaded any lots or households, but I suppose it'd still be worth a try. Be right back.

ETA @TreyNutz I moved the library folder to my desktop and launched the game. I chose a random save and took a Sim in to CAS: the CC is still there.

• Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    What is the CC?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    What is the CC?

This pair of sneakers:

ConverseLowIvory.png

I found the file and manually deleted it from DCBackup, then cleared my cache. The item does not appear in my launcher or my downloads;and I don't have any Exchange content installed, save those 2 hairs I've had for years. My SavedSims file, which I thought was the cause of the issue, is already gone. The last time I downloaded anything was in February, and I deleted it all a short while later, but I found these shoes just a few days ago.

I'd kill to find where these things are hiding and what they're attached to, so I can get rid of them once and for all.

• Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    I've already seen those attached to the exchange. Check crinrict' s blog to get rid of it!
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    jillbg wrote: »
    I've already seen those attached to the exchange. Check crinrict' s blog to get rid of it!

I did, and that's how I deleted the item from my DCBackup folder. The problem is that, even though the file has been deleted, the item is still in my game.

• Options
    Did this come packaged with a sim you downloaded? Did you uninstall that sim? Did you play the game between the time you downloaded the sim and uninstalled the sim? Have you looked at your mods folder?
  • Options
    Did this come packaged with a sim you downloaded? Did you uninstall that sim? Did you play the game between the time you downloaded the sim and uninstalled the sim? Have you looked at your mods folder?

I don't have a mods folder (I don't use mods).

I wish I knew where it came from. I don't have any Sims installed, as far as I'm aware; I have a SavedSims folder, but I pulled it from my Electronic Arts folder ages ago and my launcher shows me as having no Sims installed. Not sure if that helps.

• Options
    I wish I knew how to solve this, it's been such a long time since I was current with how to remove bad cc. I do remember those shoes being a problem, and I want to say I remember reading that if any sims in your game, like the townies, decide to wear those shoes before you remove the infected sim from your game then you need to track down every sim to see if they are wearing them and change their shoes? I may be wrong on that, it's been quite a few years now. I do hope the sims you like are clean, are you very attached to the affected saves? You may be left doing something more drastic like a factory reset or much worse, a complete uninstall and reinstall. I hope not, though. I've been looking through old posts, as I am sure you have too.
  • Options
    lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    edited July 2017
    Well, I guess those sneakers are still into one of the .dbc files into your DCCache folder. The thing is, do you have a lot of content installed via launcher? because I'm afraid that if you delete all the .dbc files you'll lose cc you actually like and want... you could try it though, making backups and all that.
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • Options
    I wish I knew how to solve this, it's been such a long time since I was current with how to remove bad cc. I do remember those shoes being a problem, and I want to say I remember reading that if any sims in your game, like the townies, decide to wear those shoes before you remove the infected sim from your game then you need to track down every sim to see if they are wearing them and change their shoes? I may be wrong on that, it's been quite a few years now. I do hope the sims you like are clean, are you very attached to the affected saves? You may be left doing something more drastic like a factory reset or much worse, a complete uninstall and reinstall. I hope not, though. I've been looking through old posts, as I am sure you have too.

yep; it's been almost 7 years since i last had to deal with anything like this, and a full factory reset was the only solution. i haven't seen anyone in my towns wearing them, but maybe i just haven't been looking hard enough.

sigh. i'm rather attached to my saves too.

@Esperona I have tons of (official store) content in my launcher, but you've given me an idea. I'll give it a try and see if it works.

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I think you have to make a decision. Live with the sneakers in your game, or start a fresh Sims 3 folder and install all of your store content and whatever else you want in there again. It will probably take less time to do the reinstall than it is taking to find and get rid of the sneakers.

Once you have a clean Sims 3 folder - take a copy of it and save it in a safe place so you have a clean folder set aside if you ever have this issue again.

You can then decide if you want to risk putting your old library and saved games into the new folder. Keeping in mind the sneakers might be in one of those saves or in the library somewhere.

If you put the library back in then launch a game and see if the sneakers have come back. If they have then you'll know they are in the library.

So get rid of the Sims 3 folder you have just messed up and take a copy of the clean one you kept aside.

Then add your saved games to it and see if the sneakers come back. If they do then you have a problem with the saved games too.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2017
    I had a similar thing years ago. Also followed Crinrict's helpful tips, but though I removed everything I could find, the darn thing was still in there. Apparently it's hidden somewhere in the launcher where it can't be traced.

What I did was make a backup of everything I didn't want to lose (saves, screenshots, library, downloads, CAS) and uninstall the game. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it (13 disks at the time), but later heard that's not necessary. When you uninstall and reinstall the basegame that should be enough.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Hmmm...if the CC is hiding on a townie, then what happens if you start a new save? Perhaps move all your save files out of the Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder, start a new game and see what happens. I admit I'm grasping here.

At this point (and I've been there before) I'd do a factory reset, reinstall all my Store and safe CC. That should get rid of the problem. Then copy over my saves, test, my saved sims folder, test, my library folder, test, etc. Hopefully it will be gone. No, actually I'd test those folders before taking the time to reinstall my safe CC, test, then finally reinstall all my Store content.

Lastly, I found this. I don't know if it will be helpful.
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 I'm so glad it's not just me~ I was starting to feel crazy, since I swear I'm the only person who has these kinds of issues. I'll definitely do what you and @Karritz suggested if the idea inspired by @Esperona doesn't work.

@TreyNutz I had a quick look at the link you provided and that's pretty much exactly how I discovered I had the shoes in my game. Will definitely have another look at it if what I'm trying now doesn't work.

• Options
    @lauravonawesome
    As far I'm aware, official store content are packed up in files with .ebc format, for example one of mine it's named dcdb1.ebc and third party custom content are packed on .dbc files, the only one I have it's named dcdb0.dbc
    That's why I asked if you have a lot of cc installed via launcher, because reinstalling everything it's going to be a pain :D

There are other ways to get rid of bad cc, but if I'm not mistaken, it involves using s3pe and those files I've mentioned... and unfurnately I don't remember well how that goes, it's been years since I've done it (it was because of those horrible boots).
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • Options
    Darn, drat, boo, hiss... it didn't work.

@Esperona I went through my DCCache folder and the only .dbc file I have is dcdb0.dbc. So it looks like this thing is hiding somewhere else.

I'm going to try what @TreyNutz suggested and move my saves folder to my desktop, then boot up and start a test game. If that doesn't work, then factory reset it is. Sigh.

• Options
    Welp, removing my saves folder did not work. The gosh darned shoes are still there.

Gonna try plopping my SavedSims folder back in and see if that adds anything to my launcher that I can uninstall. If that doesn't work, then factory reset it is, I guess.

• Options
    @lauravonawesome
    But did you take it out? the .dbc file I mean.
    The only thing that's left... worlds? do you have installed any custom worlds?
    Apart from that, I can't think of anything else where those sneakers could been hiding... :(
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • Options
    Esperona wrote: »
    @lauravonawesome
    But did you take it out? the .dbc file I mean.
    The only thing that's left... worlds? do you have installed any custom worlds?
    Apart from that, I can't think of anything else where those sneakers could been hiding... :(

No custom worlds. But I'll try taking the .dbc file out and see if that does anything.

• Options
    I thought you didn't have any .dbc files. Since you do, I'd suggest following Crinrict's blog here:

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2012/10/uninstall-sims3packs-method-by-mell.html

To go through the one .dbc file you have and see if the shoes show up.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I don't know why I said to just take it out...
    I think you could do this...
    1. Make a backup of the DCCache folder (just in case).
    2. Move all of the .dbc and .ebc files to the desktop (or any other place).
    3. Move the dcdb0.dbc file back to the DCCache folder.
    4. Start the launcher.
    5. Go to installed content and uninstall everything you don't want anymore (hopefully the sneakers are going to show).
    6. Close the launcher.
    7. Move the rest of the .dbc and .ebc files back to the DCCache folder.

I found out that's how I uninstalled the boots... maybe it'll work.

ETA @TreyNutz actually put the whole method (I didn't know where it came from, I went to the forum where I first saw it haha)
    Hopefully it'll work :)
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Esperona @TreyNutz I removed the .dbc file (only one I have) and the shoes were not there when I booted up my test game. I'll pop it back into the DCCache and move my .ebcs to my desktop, see what happens.

ETA: OMG FINALLY I CAN SEE THEM IN THE LAUNCHER! Uninstalling them now, then gonna put all my .ebc files back in and test.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top