The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you LIKE about TS4? What is EA doing RIGHT?

Comments

• Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Changing the size of an object is nice. Love the hilarious cheat that allows the player to change the head of a sim to any object you want.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I like the game's overall vibe.
    I can't put my finger on it but the game has a certain charm to it that gives me the warm fuzzies from time to time. :)
  • Options
    SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    1) I sincerely love everything about the art of this game. I love the cartoonish look, I love the animations, I love the super expressive faces, I love that I can see how a sim is feeling by looking at them. If there is one thing I want to carry over from TS4 to TS5, it's that sort of style. It doesn't have to look exactly the same, of course, but I want the same spirit.

2) The other main contender for "one thing I want to carry over to TS5" is multitasking. It's great.

3) This has been my favorite build mode to date, although I do miss create a style much, much more in this mode than when creating a sim.

4) I like the emotions, although I think it could still use work (I use a mod that makes it much harder to change moods, and it feels much more 'right' to me as a result).

5) The past two game packs have been fantastic. I especially think putting vampires in their own pack rather than folding them into an EP was a good idea, and I'm crossing my fingers it means other supernatural packs will be on their way. If they're as well done and flexible as the Vampire pack, I will be thrilled to bits.

6) The move to make everything in CAS open to both genders, and the tweaking of how gender works to be more inclusive, was a good change.

7) I was one of those people who thought people whining for toddlers needed to get over it, and I honestly was glad there weren't toddlers when the game came out. However! The toddler patch completely changed my mind ... I cannot imagine not having toddlers in the game any more, and they've really enhanced the game for me. So thank you for proving me wrong there.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Changing the size of an object is nice. Love the hilarious cheat that allows the player to change the head of a sim to any object you want.

Wait where is this?! I might break my cheats rule to have this in my game :D
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited June 2017
    @Erpe Sorry, I gotta ask...what is your obsession with the whole 12-13 year old demographic?
    The age group 12-14 is the reason why the big Sims games have been the most successful games ever.

I know that people in this forum want to think that adult simmers are who EA cares about instead because they are adults themselves and apparently just don't like to think that they are playing a game targeted at young teens. The denial is also quite successful because the young teens aren't in this forum.

They aren't in the Danish forum anymore either because EA made it hard for them to join already the Sims 3 forum. Some of them attempted to do it anyway. But they could only do it if they lied about their age which they didn't like to do at all. I think that the reason for the change from the Sims 2 forum to the Sims 3 forum was that EA wanted people to be old enough to have a credit card and they weren't.

But young Danish teens are less shy than likely young teens in any other country. So they joined the Danish Sims 2 forum and thereby made the Danish Sims 2 forum much bigger than the forums in our neighbor countries. I think that the Danish Sims 2 forum was bigger than even the German Sims 2 forum and at least 80% of the Danish Sims 2 forum users were only 10 to 14 yrs old. I know because the offtopic forum was even bigger than the other Sims forums and they discussed their schoolwork, their ages and their whole life in that forum. I didn't read more than a tiny fraction of their messages though because if I went offline just for a few hours then there often were about 300 unread messages just in the offtopic forum. When a new EP had been released the forum exploded and you were suddenly 1500 messages behind just after a few hours.
    And like other posters have said, this is not the thread to start longwinded arguments. It is a good thing to actually show some appreciation for some aspects of the game regardless if EA or the devs read it or not. If you'd like to start an argument, I'd be happy to recommend a few threads where you can argue to your heart's content.
    I am not interested in any argument and you are welcome to still be in denial.

[quite]On topic. I like the toddlers and how smooth the game runs on my laptop, I love how social the sims are even though it drives me to frustration sometimes. There are a couple of bugs I wish would be fixed like the severe lag during the start of school if you have teens and children in the same household and the speed 3 bug.[/quote]
    What EA did right is to get extremely high sales numbers for TS4 too and not fall into the trap of just letting the few adult simmers who also use the forum decide how the game should be made. EOD

I have said what I wanted to say. So let us just stop this discussion here. The OP wanted not to discuss what EA did right but instead what adult simmers like in TS4 which is a completely different discussion.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I really like the singing in sims 4
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    HelenaWiktoriaHelenaWiktoria Posts: 148 Member
    edited June 2017
    Sjofn wrote: »
    1) I sincerely love everything about the art of this game. I love the cartoonish look, I love the animations, I love the super expressive faces, I love that I can see how a sim is feeling by looking at them. If there is one thing I want to carry over from TS4 to TS5, it's that sort of style. It doesn't have to look exactly the same, of course, but I want the same spirit.

2) The other main contender for "one thing I want to carry over to TS5" is multitasking. It's great.

3) This has been my favorite build mode to date, although I do miss create a style much, much more in this mode than when creating a sim.

4) I like the emotions, although I think it could still use work (I use a mod that makes it much harder to change moods, and it feels much more 'right' to me as a result).

5) The past two game packs have been fantastic. I especially think putting vampires in their own pack rather than folding them into an EP was a good idea, and I'm crossing my fingers it means other supernatural packs will be on their way. If they're as well done and flexible as the Vampire pack, I will be thrilled to bits.

6) The move to make everything in CAS open to both genders, and the tweaking of how gender works to be more inclusive, was a good change.

7) I was one of those people who thought people whining for toddlers needed to get over it, and I honestly was glad there weren't toddlers when the game came out. However! The toddler patch completely changed my mind ... I cannot imagine not having toddlers in the game any more, and they've really enhanced the game for me. So thank you for proving me wrong there.

I agree with basically everything you said. I love the art style and multitasking (even though the latter one could be improved, but still I chose it over the previous games). I really like that both CAS and build mode are so intuitive, that I have access to every outfit category (face and clothes at the same time). It's great that you can so easily move the whole rooms or even entire lot. And they really do a great job on game packs. The vampires in TS4 are the first supernatural lifestage that I genuinely enjoy playing in any Sims game.
  • Options
    primalroseprimalrose Posts: 6 New Member
    Probably alot of repeated stuff.

- Build tools are the best of any Sims game. I love the options and the intuitive interface. Heck, I build more then I play these days, I get so much joy out of it.
    - Able to create Sims that actually look more unique out of the box without endless CC.
    - The club system turned out to be surprisingly great, giving you plenty of flexibility and creativity.
    - Multitasking Sims, not something you can live without anymore.
    - The art style and lighting, it not only suits the game but also makes it accessible for content creators.
    - Game packs getting better.
    - I appreciate them seeking feedback for one of their stuff packs and I hope it'll be a regular thing. Eco living is the first stuff pack I'm actually looking forward to.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited June 2017
    @Erpe - I've said this to you before but you are oversimplifying. Even if what you are saying about the culture around Sims games in Denmark is true, extrapolating that to the rest of the world is where you fall short. Young teens are certainly a significant demographic but when you look at English language social media, for example, you see a wider span of players with a strong skew towards women.

I'm sorry but I don't think that most 10-14 yr olds care much about laundry which won the recent vote. I know that I did not when I was one.

You can say that people are challenging your opinion because they are embarrassed about playing a game "for" young teens. You are only showing your own biases. I'm sure there are teens (not just young ones), who play the way that you describe but that is overly simplistic and there are many ways that people like to play. If I had to guess, there are as many people who want to make Sim versions of themselves and their friends and to play out scenarios with them. Someone else I know specifically loved running businesses; that person quit due to technical problems during TS3 and I haven't talked with them lately to know if they have tried TS4. Being completely deviant is another major style.

I first learned about the Sims series from a boy. I wanted to try out the game and he was so into it that he made me just play with the tutorial so I wouldn't mess with his sims. He was really serious about playing the game. Later on, I remember hearing boys joking in a lunchline about playing Sims admittedly because they were the sort of people who liked killing sims in various ways. Those are just a few examples of players who didn't or don't fit with your theory.

Yeah, you can say that those are just exceptions that I'm cherry-picking, but it's no different than your cherry-picking the scenario of a forum in Denmark. The game is played all over the world by people in many different cultures. I know that I always thought it was just an American game and no one would have heard of it, but in my travels, I have been shocked to find it in unexpected places. I spent some time in a developing country and only brought a few TS3 games with me, but there it was in a couple of specialty/high-end gaming stores.

You can't say, "This is how it was played by some girls on a forum in Denmark so that's how the majority around the world play it," without opening yourself up to being wrong. It's not embarrassment that leads to criticism of your statement, it's logic.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    As for what I like about the game, I generally like playing it. By being on this forum, I learned that I'm a story-telling style of player. I've never made sim versions of myself or anyone I know. I've made lots of different sims throughout various versions of the game. The game provides an imaginative escape from the world. It can be a good coping mechanism for stress and something to do when the weather is poor. I like TS4 enough that I'm still regularly playing it along with my other activities.

The flow of the game works well for me in a way that is a little bit hard to articulate. The loading screens don't bother me; they are shorter than what I remember from TS2 and I used to play TS2 a lot. I'm generally pretty happy with the game but I want to see more varied new content, including not all stuff that is heavy on family play. I also want to see them continue to work on bugs. I point those key aspects out because I like the game overall. After a week of trying the game, I knew that I like it and that I find it very playable. Adding new content does help to maintain interest.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    @Erpe - I've said this to you before but you are oversimplifying. Even if what you are saying about the culture around Sims games in Denmark is true, extrapolating that to the rest of the world is where you fall short. Young teens are certainly a significant demographic but when you look at English language social media, for example, you see a wider span of players with a strong skew towards women.
    People in the different countries aren't very different. But I wrote 12-14 instead of 10-14 which was the ages in the Danish forum because the US, the U.K., Canada, Australia and New Zealand are much more strict about nakedness and woohoo than all the countries in the EU are. Therefore Australia and New Zealand have given the Sims games a M rating and the ESRB threatened to do the same for TS2 unless EA removed the cheat code which could remove the blur in the bathroom. But the countries in the EU don't care about such things and therefore rated the Sims games as 7+ until the U.K. joined PEGI too and demanded the rating changed to 12+. So I think that 9-11 yrs olds most likely won't be allowed to play Sims games for their parents in the 5 mentioned English speaking countries. (I just wonder if it is a remain from queen Victoria's time that still causes the 5 English speaking countries to be so different from both the Scandinavian countries and the countries in the Central and Southern Europe?)
    I'm sorry but I don't think that most 10-14 yr olds care much about laundry which won the recent vote. I know that I did not when I was one.
    I have no idea if such young simmers participate in votes. Many of them are likely still slow readers. So I would guess that they don't read long texts unless they catch their special interest for some reason.
    You can say that people are challenging your opinion because they are embarrassed about playing a game "for" young teens. You are only showing your own biases. I'm sure there are teens (not just young ones), who play the way that you describe but that is overly simplistic and there are many ways that people like to play. If I had to guess, there are as many people who want to make Sim versions of themselves and their friends and to play out scenarios with them. Someone else I know specifically loved running businesses; that person quit due to technical problems during TS3 and I haven't talked with them lately to know if they have tried TS4. Being completely deviant is another major style.
    I don't say that only young teens play the Sims games or that no 16-24 yrs olds ever play them. But we are discussing the main groups of simmers. Here I am in no doubt that the 12-14 yrs olds are without comparison the far biggest group or that the 25+ group is a bigger group of simmers than the 16-24 yrs olds too. The young teens usually stop playing Sims games when they are about 15 yrs old (at least in Denmark - but they are hardly much older in other countries). A few older teens are of course playing Sims games too. Just not very many because older teens (and young adults) usually have other interests like sports, studying or dating and partying in their real lives. Or they most often play console games if they are interested in games. If they play PC games then both sports games and action games are still more popular among the majority than the Sims games usually are.
    I first learned about the Sims series from a boy. I wanted to try out the game and he was so into it that he made me just play with the tutorial so I wouldn't mess with his sims. He was really serious about playing the game. Later on, I remember hearing boys joking in a lunchline about playing Sims admittedly because they were the sort of people who liked killing sims in various ways. Those are just a few examples of players who didn't or don't fit with your theory.
    There is no doubt about the Sims games being played more by girls than by boys. We also know that boys generally prefer more violent games than most girls do and I guess that boys also still are the majority among gamers who play sports games. But even though this is true the differences in preferences between boys and girls still become smaller and smaller and there are many exceptions even though I just saw a dad on TV telling about both his daughters preferring to dress up dolls when they were kids while his sons instead as kids liked to throw dolls through the air to hit a wall or to tear down houses built with Lego blocks.
    Yeah, you can say that those are just exceptions that I'm cherry-picking, but it's no different than your cherry-picking the scenario of a forum in Denmark. The game is played all over the world by people in many different cultures. I know that I always thought it was just an American game and no one would have heard of it, but in my travels, I have been shocked to find it in unexpected places. I spent some time in a developing country and only brought a few TS3 games with me, but there it was in a couple of specialty/high-end gaming stores.

You can't say, "This is how it was played by some girls on a forum in Denmark so that's how the majority around the world play it," without opening yourself up to being wrong. It's not embarrassment that leads to criticism of your statement, it's logic.
    I just don't believe that people are very different in different countries. I watch TV programs from both Scandinavian countries, Germany, the U.K. and the US and people are almost always discussing the same things and in the same way. (I understand TV programs in Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, German and English and I even sometimes watch French TV even though my French isn't nearly as good as other languages.)
  • Options
    HelenaWiktoriaHelenaWiktoria Posts: 148 Member
    It's hard for me to tell what are general trends among the Sims players, however, I definitely see the difference in social media. On Polish sites, like Facebook or YouTube, I see mainly younger people, like early teenagers. However, on English language sites, I see more young adults. I feel it can be also seen in some disscusions themselves.
  • Options
    It's hard for me to tell what are general trends among the Sims players, however, I definitely see the difference in social media. On Polish sites, like Facebook or YouTube, I see mainly younger people, like early teenagers. However, on English language sites, I see more young adults. I feel it can be also seen in some disscusions themselves.
    The early teenagers dominated the Danish Sims 2 forum. But they had problems being accepted by EA on the Sims 3 forum. A couple of then got through anyway and they told us that the trick was to lie and claim that they were at least 16 yrs old.

But they soon disappeared again also from the Sims 3 forum when they discovered that only adults were there and the problems with the forum didn't disappear. I don't know if EA's rule still is to only give forum access to 16+ simmers though?

In the Danish Sims 2 forum even kids were accepted as long as they followed the forum rules which only were:
    1. No fighting with other simmers.
    2. No real names.
    3. No information about where they lived.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I am bit confused as to what all this has to do with what EA got right?

Signed

A heavy sims player that is neither female nor a young teen and happily tells people I play the sims.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    - I love the sims themselves, finally I don't have to rely on CC and can avoid it.

- How the game Plays out due to Multitasking is just wonderful. Unfortunately multi-tasking (or rather the fact that sims want to socialize all the time, even with strangers) also ruins the experience on lots such as the Café or during the retail aspect of the game. But generally it's a very strong Addition to the series, it allows so much flexibility, can't Play without anymore.

- The Gallery

- I like that TS4 is less of a time Management game compared to previous iterations.

- Clubs (I had to mention it since it's by far the best Feature I've ever seen in any sims games before).

- Worlds are unique and provide diversified Settings which is cool and always welcome.

- Graphics

It's my favorite TS game after all. However, it has some obvious flaws.

Sims 4 is my favorite too. To answer the OP

#1 Art Style

#2 gallery

#3 Emotions

our sims are really expressive and emotions easily readable

#4 Create a sim

#5 Build mode is more intelligent and fun to use

#6 I like all of the stuff packs and game packs

Basically there is a LOT that I like and only a couple things I don't , which I spelled out in another thread trending here.

• Options
    aricarai wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    What EA is doing right?

That one is easy because EA just want to earn money. They do that very successfully by targeting the game mainly at 12-14 yrs old teens who have diffuse dreams about romance and can use the game to outlive those dreams by experimenting with the sims and dress them up in different ways. They can also party, go on dates and so on. Such young teens can much better afford cheap SPs than more expensive EPs and EA has fully understood that ;)

Why come in just to derail a thread? Many know how you feel and think with regards to EA's supposed target audience for this iteration! Many Simmers have given their feedback and constructive criticism on the game (which of course they're entitled to); this thread isn't about that, so you should try to be a little more respectful!

To answer the question: I think some of the building tools are awesome - like the roofing tool and the fact that you can get rid of overhang. I'd like to see that tool carry over to the next iteration!

That behavior is so unbecoming . There is an option to create a new thread for gripes about the game . No one has to derail any "positive" thread to make their points known. Thank you for pointing that out @Erpe @aricarai
  • Options
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    I like the game's overall vibe.
    I can't put my finger on it but the game has a certain charm to it that gives me the warm fuzzies from time to time. :)

Yes the sims 4 gives me that old feeling <3 It's a charming game visually and otherwise :)

• Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    What EA is doing right?

That one is easy because EA just want to earn money. They do that very successfully by targeting the game mainly at 12-14 yrs old teens who have diffuse dreams about romance and can use the game to outlive those dreams by experimenting with the sims and dress them up in different ways. They can also party, go on dates and so on. Such young teens can much better afford cheap SPs than more expensive EPs and EA has fully understood that ;)

rofl :D
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    KuroiKuroi Posts: 137 Member
    I like the cartoon-ish looks. It's the first sim game I don't need CC for.

Furthermore I like how they realised toddlers. They are so cute and realistic!

I like Parenthood and Vampires. Not only because of the gameplay but also because it gives me hope regarding future GPs.

And generally I enjoy the game for all the opportunities it gives me to play the way I want and live my creativity.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    I have been all over the world playing online games.
    So I like the sims because once you play a sims game, you for some reason keep returning.

It's something about a new pack, you just want to know what's in it. it bugs you until you buy it.
    I have to say I love the toddlers and, I love Maxis enthusiasms abut the Sims. If you feel you have a great game I will pay more attention.
    So before the Toddlers when I was thinking of returning to my already own Sims 4 game. I saw a news video with Maxis I think owners. Showing everyone about Sims 4. They were so enthusiastic well one of them lol. I decided I would give it a try again.
    Also, I like that they stay in the teen ratings.

Now, so many seem to want to move toward a mature game or more mature. with more romantic interactions. even with teens. well, most of that will never happen. And I am happy for that Teens, do need a decent game.
    So maybe they will go to a new Sims M for mature. then people would push and push for more and more. So I like it how it is. that's what makes it the **Sims**. and it's why they are so Successful.
    Games that do chang to M ratings or have M rating are so many. I like this one because it's a decent game. I hope they never change the Sims.
    I like Sims 4 the best because the player control is easy. and better graphics. and The toddler's animations, behaviors are more like real toddlers.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Stormsview wrote: »
    So I like the sims because once you play a sims game, you for some reason keep returning.

It's something about a new pack, you just want to know what's in it. it bugs you until you buy it.
    I have to say I love the toddlers and, I love Maxis enthusiasms abut the Sims. If you feel you have a great game I will pay more attention.
    So before the Toddlers when I was thinking of returning to my already own Sims 4 game. I saw a news video with Maxis I think owners. Showing everyone about Sims 4. They were so enthusiastic well one of them lol. I decided I would give it a try again.

Now, so many seem to want to move toward a mature game or more mature. with more romantic interactions. even with teens. well, most of that will never happen. And I am happy for that Teens, do need a decent game.
    So maybe they will go to a new Sims M for mature. then people would push and push for more and more. So I like it how it is. that's what makes it the **Sims**. and it's why they are so Successful.
    Games that do chang to M ratings or have M rating are so many. I like this one because it's a decent game. I hope they never change the Sims.
    I like Sims 4 the best because the player control is easy. and better graphics. and The toddler's animations, behaviors are more like real toddlers.

romantic interactions. aren't a bad thing and I'm sure they would not raise the rating
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Stormsview wrote: »

I want romance. My sims need romance. We had more kissing and romantic interactions in previous versions without a problem. I don't see it as making the game too mature at all. It's not realistic for my sims not to cuddle in bed or have more types of ways to show their love for each other and I need more.It will still be a "decent" game with more options for romantic gameplay @Stormsview

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,404 Member
    Kuroi wrote: »
    I like the cartoon-ish looks. It's the first sim game I don't need CC for.

Furthermore I like how they realised toddlers. They are so cute and realistic!

I like Parenthood and Vampires. Not only because of the gameplay but also because it gives me hope regarding future GPs.

And generally I enjoy the game for all the opportunities it gives me to play the way I want and live my creativity.
    I think this is what I love best and makes it quite easy to overlook some of the game features such as loading screens. This is the first version where I've not felt the need to use custom hairs, skin, eyes, etc. I love the goofy smiles, the art style, the objects design.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    As @HalloMolli said, I too, love the Sims themselves.

I love their expressions, their animations, their aliveness, their voices.

I love the fluid feeling of the game.

I love the beauty of the game.

I like the ease of building, the search function, the gallery.

I like how quickly the game launches.

I like how easy it is to play rotationally.
  • Options
    cjosecjose Posts: 265 Member
    I have to say, I really love the ability to use the slider for each part of the body as well. I think it was a great addition to the ability to create unique and fun sims! It also gets rid of the need for like 35 set facial types, 20 noses, 20 eyes, 20 mouths, etc. It's so much easier to make the faces on your own, and allow for so much fluidity in how you can make your Sims look. You can make even the most subtle differences and make it look truly, exactly like you want. Sometimes, in the past, I would change a Sims's face type, eye type, nose type, and mouth type, and it would be sort of like I wanted it, but I found myself mildly wishing I could make it a bit more exact. I wasn't unhappy with the way it was before in TS3, but I'm thrilled about the degree of intricacy you can make now!

I think that with the wonderful content of Toddlers and Vampires and things, they were so worth the wait too. The amount of work that went into all the animations, actions, and everything must have been immense. Not to mention that they NEEDED that time to MAKE the animations, rescripting of the game, etc. I'd gladly wait a great length of time of content that great again, any day!