Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roofing Issue (dormer windows)

Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
Hey I am having trouble with a house i'm building, the inspiriation house has two dormer windows (http://www.builderhouseplans.com/house-plans/bhp/collections/contemporary-craftsman/hwbdo11407.html) and i'm getting frustrated that no matter what I try it keeps going wrong :\. Any help would be appreciated, I did find some help but it's for sims 4 unfortunately http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/split-levels-lofts.php
FBA112-FR-PH-CO-LG.JPG
Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
Proud member of the "I own the store" club
Zpj9msL.png
The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3

Comments

• Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Easy look

Screenshot-29_zpss9abq6hr.jpg

Screenshot-30_zpsyovbvh6i.jpg

Screenshot-31_zpsexqyabyc.jpg

Screenshot-32_zps6taaezrq.jpg

Screenshot-33_zps8q7rmprf.jpg
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2017
    @CravenLestat I was wondering, would it also be possible to give the dormers a roof like in OP's picture? Starting from the ridge?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Aww you're a star @CravenLestat an absolute star! thank you so much ^_^ Big hugs for you seeing as I can't hold myself lol
    Zpj9msL.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @JoAnne65 Yes just add any type you want.I just put that type for my tutorial.Here is my current sim house from dumpster diving using the style you are talking about.Make sure auto roof is off of course.Then just change the height if you want to touch the roof ridge.Mine is slightly below that but can make it higher.

Screenshot-2552_zpsdrh6i7zz.jpg

@Kylieb191 Big hug received,I sat at my monitor and two arms grabbed me,I thought the clown from poltergeist was pulling me under the bed.

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    @CravenLestat Thanks!! I'm always struggling when building dormers and I so love those on houses.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @JoAnne65 You can also make the upper dormer area livable just by walling it all in.Most of my homes have attics with bedrooms etc.Then the windows are not decor they are functional in the room.Majority of the time I have spiral staircases to the upper floor.If you want get my build from the exchange is cute and simple just see how it is done by going in build mode and lowering the floors.No CC so wont hurt your game the attic has the spellbook and a bedroom is a community lot with free potions to turn the town.Use it in all my towns really fun.Visit it in your game grab any potions you want by dragging them to your sim and go throw them at townies

Flip through the pics on it.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8950667

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    Peach77Peach77 Posts: 313 Member
    I don't think the half gable roof wants to grow in the narrow but long way. Once you get it 1x2 it turns sideways. So you can only do it like that when the dormer is wider than it is long. I don't know how to get around that.
    TS3%202017-06-17%2018-06-33-68.png
    2x3, goes right way
    TS3%202017-06-17%2018-06-36-44.png
    3x3, turns sideways, and you'd need 3x4 to close the gap with the main roof piece. I got around that by taking it back and making it need a 4x2 piece.

Also, if you make that section at least 8 tiles wide (which is what you'd need to fit a parking space in there the "right" way on the ground floor) you can actually get a narrow room up there. If it's only 6 tiles wide the dormers would be touching back to back and the space under them would be all you get.
    TS3%202017-06-17%2018-10-21-03.png

Just don't actually put walls on the short ends, because that will make a gap when you put on the roof. Leave the short end open and the roofing will actually add the wall.
    TS3%202017-06-17%2018-23-11-37.png

First roof piece magically makes wall.
    TS3%202017-06-17%2018-23-49-00.png

This is what I ended up with just making the garage and not bothering messing with the CFE it looks like it would need to add the rest of the house.
    TS3%202017-06-17%2018-10-52-47.png

• Options
    edited June 2017
    @JoAnne65 You can also make the upper dormer area livable just by walling it all in.Most of my homes have attics with bedrooms etc.Then the windows are not decor they are functional in the room.Majority of the time I have spiral staircases to the upper floor.If you want get my build from the exchange is cute and simple just see how it is done by going in build mode and lowering the floors.No CC so wont hurt your game the attic has the spellbook and a bedroom is a community lot with free potions to turn the town.Use it in all my towns really fun.Visit it in your game grab any potions you want by dragging them to your sim and go throw them at townies

Flip through the pics on it.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8950667

Yes, I in fact did that a long time ago, rebuilding an original house from Champs les Sims in Riverview ;)

1440035_orig.jpg

09.jpg

@Pary Yes, that's highly annoying about that roof!

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Wow thank you for that ^_^ I think putting a wall on the back was stopping the roof from going over to the edge so that's always good to know and I know how you feel about it going another way when you know which way it needs to go and how far. I've got to roof the rest of the house which I don't think will be as bad thankfully, I have updated the house since yesterday and windows are temporary:
    Screenshot-250_zpsgsy3bgrp.jpg
    Zpj9msL.png
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,931 Member
    edited June 2017
    I think I see your problem and I've had a look and don't think I can work out how to fix your problem.

This is what I came up with.

I built a house with 2 dormers. One 5 tiles wide and the other 2 tiles wide. The actual width doesn't matter, it is if they are wider than they are long that matters.
    Dormer001.jpg

Initially I used the Gable tool and got this result.
    Dormer002.jpg

For the first window I deleted its roof and used the tall gable tool and got this result.
    Dormer003.jpg

There is only one half gable tool and I was able to get the flat sloping roof you need on the wide window. I had to also use the tool to flatten the roof to get it to work. But on the narrow window it doesn't work. It needs a different roof tool that isn't available. It seems to me there may be a way to do it with cheats but I'm not a roof expert.
    Dormer004.jpg

It could probably be done using walls and a CFE cheat as I've seen people do amazing things with that cheat but I wouldn't know where to start.
    Post edited by Karritz on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @CravenLestat Thanks :smiley: Yes, the desk under the single bunks I remember seeing somewhere back then, borrowed the idea :p And that desk in the nook gives the same cosy vibe to me ^.^

@Kylieb191 Glad you are helped out here. I hope you'll post the final result when you've finished the house, it looks great!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Of course, as soon as I admitted defeat, I thought of trying something and it worked.

Dormer005.jpg

I used the gable tool and then pulled it down with the flattening tool.

Some extra pics - for clarification and because I like pictures.

Dormer006.jpg

Dormer007.jpg

Dormer008.jpg

• Options
    @karritz Never accept defeat,see what happens when you kick quitting in the face.You succeed. <3

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    @Karritz Yaaaay!! You did it. Now I'll have to find out how though haha. The gable tool is that particular roof? And I presume you use the constrainfloorelevation cheat first?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Karritz Yaaaay!! You did it. Now I'll have to find out how though haha. The gable tool is that particular roof? And I presume you use the constrainfloorelevation cheat first?

No cheats at all. Just used the gable or tall gable roof and the tool to change the roof pitch.

The roof pitch tool is the one I circled on the left of this picture. It's actually called 'Roof Selection Pitch Control' when you hover over it. Just click on the roof section for which you want to change the pitch and drag it up or down with this tool.
    Dormer004.jpg

EDIT: Because of the shape of the room for that window, I used the gable tool which is the one of the left of the different roof tools - not the tall gable, or the half gable which is the one I have circled in this pic.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Here's mine from Deery Meadows.It's from when I was building my Deery Meaodws city hall rabbit hole shell and using the rugs.
    Here's another construction update from Deery Meadows which is still under construction to get it set up for a new legacy.
    Here's my city hall shell after adding the roof to it.
    18575017339_eb9858e256.jpg
    I've even added dormers to the roof.
    18573416208_714bd145cf.jpg
    Here's the upstairs level with bunk rooms and washrooms.
    18573436628_4824353aaf.jpg
    Here's the main floor with the stairways added.I used CC spiral stairs from TSR with railings.
    18734952666_35d3e07bae.jpg
    Here's the basement where I'll put the city hall rabbit hole rug.
    18573452588_e4bdbac96b.jpg
    I put walls up inside the roof and to mark the dormers.
    Here's another installment of the construction on Deery Meadows,Maine.
    Here's the town hall getting a floor tiled roof added on.
    18662254971_918a4b1bd7_c.jpg
    Here's the floor being laid down inside the town hall.
    18472266020_3ed1c13455_c.jpg
    Here's another construction update from Deery Meadows.
    I've got some finishing touches here.
    upstairs hallway.
    19465110979_35bd7a91fe.jpg
    Outside view of city hall.
    19463749240_2d6c9af326.jpg
    new statue added outside.
    19463718258_5425e6d716.jpg
    flagpole added.
    19651747725_178266b594.jpg
    statue close-up.
    19030824853_4d877e8541.jpg
    town clock added.
    19656245381_e5987feba1.jpg
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    @Karritz What I don't understand though is how you manage to close that opening there... That won't close by moving the roof up and down will it? Wait, I'll open my game and just try ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Karritz What I don't understand though is how you manage to close that opening there... That won't close by moving the roof up and down will it? Wait, I'll open my game and just try ;)

It won't close if you use half gable. But I used gable. I dragged it far enough to the middle of the house to make only one side of the gable visible. See the picture I posted that shows the shape of the roof I used.
  • Options
    Yes, eureka, going into my game and trying it myself clarified what you meant (I'm also dealing with translation here by the way, all those terms - like gable - I had to find the equivalents for in my own Dutch game ;) <- excuse to explain my slow understanding). This is the gable you were using, not the half one:

Roof5.png_zps733dpicv.jpg

(that was really an ooooooooh- moment there, the minute I understood that :p )
    The result:

Roof6.png_zpsrmmepuxh.jpg

girl-happy-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif

Looks like you've got it now. Congratulations. Have fun.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Thank you for the great advice and so happy that it's helped others too :D I'll hopefully be able to work on the roofing more tonight but it's super hot in the UK which means my laptop gets really hot which also makes me super hot :( lol but this is what I have so far:
    Screenshot-257_zpsxbfuympn.jpg

I think I need to lower some roofs and possibly a lighter colour on the roof? I'm going to be changing things about for sometime but I have changed the foundation and stairs to a lighter colour since this shot was taken, the garage has been transformed into two bedrooms and a jack & jill bathroom :) as you can probably tell with this super early pic.
    Screenshot-244_zpsku4jgg8d.jpg
    Zpj9msL.png
  • Options
    jordandjordand Posts: 262 Member
    @Kylieb191, the house is looking amazing!!! I wish I was able to build houses... :# but that's definitely not one of my skills. Would you consider sharing it once you're finished?
  • Options
    Thank you so much! Roofing is a weakness of mine but looking at inspiriational houses and practising really helped me :). Of course @jordand! it will be cc free as well :)
    Zpj9msL.png