Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm having a hard time creating Sims in TS4

I've tried to create a Sim in TS4 but they turn out looking the same.Maybe it is the exaggerated facial expression the gets in the way. I feel like the pull and push feature makes it hard for me to create unique Sims. Its hard for me to create the Sims I want. I feel its easier in TS3, with custom sliders, to make any Sim I want.

I've converted my TS2 Sims over to TS3 and I'm now trying to convert my TS3 Sims over to TS4.

The push and pull method doesn't work well for me. I prefer the sliders. I feel the sliders are a bit more precise. However, I honestly can't create the exact Sim I want in TS3 without custom sliders. They help soooo much for me. I'm looking to see if TS4 have CAS hacks that can help me make my Sim the way I want.

I want to show you guys how my TS3 Sims look but I'm uncomfortable with it for some reason. :(

One of the issues I have with making Sims in TS4 is the bone structure of the face. I just can't get that precision I want.

I would have a hard time making a Sim like these in TS4: tumblr_nj4bz0bu7s1s9o6pjo4_1280.jpg

00b5cba7706c61e7f8c4191d0b24ddf4.jpg

and this sim right here is a good example of what I'm talking about: http://modthesims.info/d/520244

I know there is more than facial structure involved in getting a Sim to look exactly how you want - also make up helps, but it's still hard for me to make a Sim (especially male sims) in TS4.

I really do need help figuring this out as I am trying to play TS4. I just purchased GTW yesterday but I don't have a sim to play with. I want to create the families from TS2, but there faces are a bit complex and I feel TS4 method doesn't give me that freedom to make them correctly.

So first thing I need to do I guess is find some custom sliders (or whatever it is called in TS4), and see if that helps.

(This is frustrating for me. :( )

PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.

Comments

• Options
    AnduarAnduar Posts: 156 Member
    I feel you, I use overlays/make up to make my sims a bit more unique but I don't feel like I have the same power over their looks as before. Not to mention that overlays aren't even genetic. So I have to start over with any biological children. And whats the point if you're kids aren't as cute as the base sims!

I dislike that in order to get a certain shape (on lips for example) you have to choose the preset that has that lip shape, you can't just...slider the lip into the shape. and then there are problems with that because some of them don't allow them to be as big as you want (grr)

There are no custom sliders, atleast in the sense of S3's sliders. There was a mod that unlocked the S4 slider limits, but that's been outdated for a while and I actually think it's no longer on MTS. And i've never seen ANY that added new points to edit.

I got used to the push/pull, it's certainly more convenient, I do miss all my sliders for the little things , though :(
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Sequels are not always progress
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    As far as I know, we don't have custom face sliders for TS4, but I know of some CC that might help. It's facial details, basic stuff like shadowing, nose shapers, jaw shapers. It's subtle, but it helps.

You can change the basic layout for mouth, nose, forehead and so on. From my experience, there's only so much you can do depending on each one. So search for something similar to what you have in mind and start working from there. For example, you can't achieve thin lips if you choose a big mouth in the panel. Some eyes have marked eyelids, some don't, or eyelashed, things like that.

I would also recommend looking for some tutorial on cas full detail mode. I play since release and I discovered 2 sliders just this year haha so many places to pull and push.

Basic tips, but I hope it helps. And I really like your sims, well made realistic sims are my type!
  • Options
    Sometimes I think we want too much, this is just Sims. Not mother nature. You can do a lot with sims 4 faces just learn. use teen and keep trying to make teens look your way. You can do it. Just hang in there.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    To me it's easier than hunting for sliders and then constantly adjusting them! But I can see how someone can find it difficult, to be able to make the sim really detailed and how you want them, you have to know all the morph points on the sim. And there are a lot, I literally just found a new one yesterday!
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Have you tried detailed edit mode? You can do a lot more from there. It for example allows you to change the thickness of the lips, the openness of the eyes, the roundness of the eyebrows, the width of the nostrils, the shape of the jaw, and so on and so forth.
    Also, in order to figure out all the things you can do, try to push and pull everything and in different directions. Sometimes you just need to move the cursor slightly to a different spot and it'll allow you to edit a different feature.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    John4estJohn4est Posts: 202 Member
    Honestly most sims look the same outside of CAS. But I mean even with your elaborate CC there is only so much you can do... Personally, I think they both have distinctively different looks to them. At the same time... I mean you gave them both sharp jaws and the same eye color, so what'd you expect? Try making a sim that has more of a rounded baby face instead- have them be cute instead of hot if you get what I'm saying. I prefer my guys to be more boyish and cute than the stereotypical GI JOE facial structure that I see mostly all girls who make sims in the gallery do.
    2qwq9ah.jpg
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member
    Did you click on the cheeks and pick the default cheeks? Some of them give more 'definition' and will make your male sims look like they have a sharper jaw line and cheeks.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    HelenaWiktoriaHelenaWiktoria Posts: 148 Member
    I have just the opossite feeling, it's easier for me to create more unique Sims in TS4. But then again, the only CC I use in both games are some hair and clothes.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    That looks like a cc thing to me and not a cas limitation thing.
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Well, I use cc in TS4 aswell i'm able to create some pretty unique sims there. Since you use cc in TS3 I would say it'll be a good comparison. I also recommend using different presets since they offer a lot of different facial scructures, some have more of a baby face and others look very sleek and defined. Also try to go in detail mode a lot more and mess with their shapes.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    AnnikinAnnikin Posts: 9 New Member
    Well if you don't mind not starting from scratch you could get a sim off the gallery or online and use that as a base sim. I've gotten some unique-looking sims out of this technique because it eliminates "same face syndrome" which is basically when all of your characters', or in this case sims', faces look the same because of personal preference, art style, etc. kind of like Disney characters. If you don't want to use base sims you can look around Tumblr and try to find inspiration. The higher quality blogs usually use some really nice and unique looking sim models, especially the sim modeling/cc blogs.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Another idea is to use the randomize tool until you get close to the Sim you want, then use detailed edit mode and other edit to bring in the details you want. I've actually been using the randomize for creating my Sims' wardrobes and have been getting some nice results -- I wish we had a way to save outfits so it would be easier to reuse them for Sims in the future.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    Thank you guys for your comments and suggestions. <3 I have tried them, but I'm going to try again.

I first want to say the photos I've shared aren't my Sims. I found them via Google image search. I just wanted to show you the bone structure I'm talking about that I find hard to do in TS4.

I think I will need some kind of limit hack for the game maybe that'll help. I'm also going to try this neck slider at MTS (Testing): http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=571799&c=1&ht=&page=1&pp=25#startcomment - I think that'll help.

Just like in TS3 I use CC in TS4 (face details, eyes, eyebrows, and skin etc), to help, but I need to get the face shape right first.

Anduar wrote: »
    I feel you, I use overlays/make up to make my sims a bit more unique but I don't feel like I have the same power over their looks as before. Not to mention that overlays aren't even genetic. So I have to start over with any biological children. And whats the point if you're kids aren't as cute as the base sims!

I dislike that in order to get a certain shape (on lips for example) you have to choose the preset that has that lip shape, you can't just...slider the lip into the shape. and then there are problems with that because some of them don't allow them to be as big as you want (grr)

There are no custom sliders, atleast in the sense of S3's sliders. There was a mod that unlocked the S4 slider limits, but that's been outdated for a while and I actually think it's no longer on MTS. And i've never seen ANY that added new points to edit.

I got used to the push/pull, it's certainly more convenient, I do miss all my sliders for the little things , though :(

Yes, this is another thing that I don't like. I wish TS4 had both sliders and push and pull method.

PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    > @Goodywood said:

Say you wanted to make a sim look like you. So your and young adult. that would be hard if you choose young adult. so start with a child make her look like you then change to a teen than to a young adult.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    Stormsview wrote: »
    > @Goodywood said:

Say you wanted to make a sim look like you. So your and young adult. that would be hard if you choose young adult. so start with a child make her look like you then change to a teen than to a young adult.

I don't understand this method though @Stormsview . Maybe because in TS3 I didn't like how kids looked and they look so different from how they look when they turned YA/A. I do see that kids look better in TS4. I'll try it but I'm not sure how exactly. Do I have to make the child look grown?

I'm opening TS4 now. :) Thank you @Stormsview
  • Options
    > @Goodywood said:
    > Stormsview wrote: »
    >
    > > @Goodywood said:
    >
    > Say you wanted to make a sim look like you. So your and young adult. that would be hard if you choose young adult. so start with a child make her look like you then change to a teen than to a young adult.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't understand this method though @Stormsview . Maybe because in TS3 I didn't like how kids looked and they look so different from how they look when they turned YA/A. I do see that kids look better in TS4. I'll try it but I'm not sure how exactly. Do I have to make the child look grown?
    >
    > I'm opening TS4 now. :) Thank you @Stormsview

@Goodywood The best thing about Sims 4 is to create a sim.....
    your welcome! to make your lips you will see lips like yours but only to wider right. so put your cursor inside the lip working from the corner of the center push toward the center. only work on one side the computer do the other. hope this helps.
    No, do not age the child just make it look like you as a child. then let the computer age the child to teen, then age to young adult. you can even make it and elder if you wish. You can also use Sims 4 genetics to make and older person or the teen big sister. I make my sims kids grandparents by using their mom or dad.
  • Options
    > @Yoko2112 said:
    > Lol, I tried. I don't have any cc tho so I couldn't make them look as realistic as yours. Also those eyebrows on the brown haired dude, holy cow !

you did an awesome job
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Annikin wrote: »
    Well if you don't mind not starting from scratch you could get a sim off the gallery or online and use that as a base sim. I've gotten some unique-looking sims out of this technique because it eliminates "same face syndrome" which is basically when all of your characters', or in this case sims', faces look the same because of personal preference, art style, etc. kind of like Disney characters. If you don't want to use base sims you can look around Tumblr and try to find inspiration. The higher quality blogs usually use some really nice and unique looking sim models, especially the sim modeling/cc blogs.

This is pretty much what I do when I need to crank out a lot of sims at once either to replace premades or populate the worlds. Annikin is exactly right in that, by doing this you end up with more variety simply by eliminating most of your own biases during sim creation.
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I used to have this issue a lot. That's why I primarily play with premades and sims from trailers. You can always tweak them a bit, but try to keep them recognizable
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Your TS3 Sims look amazing! TS3 Sims with CC are very attractive and realistic-looking. I don't play with CC in TS4 so I've had to approach CAS differently. Because TS3 had a more realistic looking art style those Sims like in the OP fitted, in TS4 the art style is more cartoony so they'd look out of place (just my opinion - lots of people do use CC in TS4). I just learned to see this is a different game and eventually I learned to make Sims I like the look of that I think are attractive and unique, and fit the art style. :)
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    I disagree. Outside of using CC in the sims 3, the sims just looked doughy . Imo, we definitely have more refined looking sims now. And it is also easy to create nice looking sims <3
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    Lol, I tried. I don't have any cc tho so I couldn't make them look as realistic as yours. Also those eyebrows on the brown haired dude, holy cow !

lS3lPj2.png
    DGqqh6j.png

A lot better looking than sims in 3, without cc. They actually look quite nice. There is loads of cc on the sims in the OP.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited June 2017
    I like TS4 CAS more than I thought I would when it was first announced there would be no sliders. Sliders on top of the push/pull would be even more amazing. Honestly, I think it takes some practise. I don't know how long you've had this game or how much you've played but I've seen some pretty talented simmers out there creating vanilla sims. A lot of my favorite base sims I use are ideas I took from somebody else and then molded into my own style.
    Really old sim by jenba I think?... no longer on the gallery. I don't remember what the original looked like. I only saved my version.
    tumblr_nxg5h22lnM1ssiu0eo1_1280.png

If you're looking for CC to help you get a certain style/look, try different skins. Skins can really alter looks. Those sims you posted wouldn't look the same in vanilla EA skin.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/