Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Computer for all The Sims 3 content

AnckaaAnckaa Posts: 63 Member
edited October 2022 in The Sims 3 General Discussion
I was often wondering if there is a computer which could run all The Sims 3 content without lag, so all expansion/stuff packs, all store content and a lot of CC? :smiley:

I heard of some laptops which are only made for playing games, but is there a "standard" looking laptop that can do very similar as those gaming laptops?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    What do you mean by standard looking?

For a laptop to run everything you've said, I think you'd almost need to go with a gaming one; however @phoebebebe13 would be a good person to consult with?
  • Options
    AnckaaAnckaa Posts: 63 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    What do you mean by standard looking?

For a laptop to run everything you've said, I think you'd almost need to go with a gaming one; however @phoebebebe13 would be a good person to consult with?

For example Alienware laptop with an alien head on it and somewhat different shape than most laptops for me isn't a standard looking laptop. :tongue:
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Gaming laptops like alienware are thicker and have much better cooling. Alienware is overpriced. They do make better laptops. They do have thinner laptops with gaming hardware but their cooling won't be great. Cooling is just as important as the hardware inside the computer. If your laptop (or any computer) gets heat damage would ruin the computer.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    No one actually needs an Alienware though there will be those who really want one. Nothing wrong with that if they can withstand the added expense for the brand name.

I don't usually go around quoting myself, but if you want to look at the specs a laptop should have to carry the entire game well, or at least have a fighting chance, and compare across models, then the following from a different thread might be helpful. Desktops can withstand components not quite as strong and will run cheaper.
    igazor wrote: »
    For a laptop running Windows, the following would be recommended for TS3 and all EPs. The game can run on less, but then we are talking about cutting corners. On graphics cards, the game with all EPs may not work well or at all on weaker ones.

Processor: Quad core i5, i7, or the AMD equivalent. On processor speed, at least 2.4 GHz but for the most part all of these processors would already be running faster than that in their modern iterations.

Graphics Card: Nvidia 960M, 1050Ti, or higher, or the AMD equivalents (RX 460, etc.). Older model cards are fine too if they are strong enough and TS3 can't really use all of the video memory that the newest cards provide, but new laptops won't have older cards in them. Any of these cards would need their frame rates (fps) limited for TS3 once you install the game, but that's usually a one-time pain.

RAM: 6 GB minimum, but at least 8 GB would be better.

Hard Drive: At least 256 GB to work with, though that would be really tight and 512 GB would be better. A 512 GB or larger SSD (Solid State Drive as opposed to Hard Disk Drive/HDD), large enough to handle the entire game install and its user game folder in Documents, would be ideal if you can withstand the added expense but that's not a requirement.

Price Tag: Varies by country and what's on sale, but for a laptop expect $950 and up in the US. Desktops run cheaper for stronger components.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @igazor just to note they don't put higher end AMD in laptops that I have seen anymore. All the better laptops are intel/Nvidia. I would not recommend AMD for a laptop. Desktop is fine
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @igazor just to note they don't put higher end AMD in laptops that I have seen anymore. All the better laptops are intel/Nvidia. I would not recommend AMD for a laptop. Desktop is fine
    Apple does. I know that the two high end 15" MacBook Pros together with the option of running Windows in Bootcamp and then TS3 for Windows on one of those is kind of way out there for general purchasers to be considering, and certainly not the most economical way to be going about this unless a Mac is wanted/needed for other purposes, but technically there is thus one vendor who does this. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Apple does. I know that the two high end 15" MacBook Pros together with the option of running Windows in Bootcamp and then TS3 for Windows on one of those is kind of way out there for general purchasers to be considering, and certainly not the most economical way to be going about this unless a Mac is wanted/needed for other purposes, but technically there is thus one vendor who does this. :)

On Mac they use AMD laptop cards. According to BlueBellFlora and a conversation I had with her, Mac seems to work better with AMD while laptop Nvidia/Intel is better and the laptops stay cooler. AMD heats up more and their laptop hardware overall is not as powerful as Nvidia/Intel.
  • Options
    KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    edited April 2017
    Giiiirl I have a 2012 HP that runs every Sims game 1-4 on it just fine. There is occasional lagging/crashing, but all-in-all, I don't think you need to have a fancy gaming computer to run all of the games.
    My parents work with computers, so I've had an Alienware laptop and desktop before. They're great for gaming but not necessary!
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    I only got an Alienware for the financing option :D but I'm sure there are much better options out there . A nvidia 660 can run it well . Mine was paired with an i7 though till my graphic card died and I had to get an 750 ti . Both run well but I'm not sure how a laptop would handle it
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    I have an Asus ROG (republic of gamers) laptop. It is Intel quad core i7, nvidia GeForce gtx 960m with 8gb dedicated graphics, 16gb ram, 1TB hard drive, 120gb ssd and 2.6ghz processor speed. I have all EPS and SPs for TS3, along with the entire store. I have the game on high/ultra settings for everything. The game sometimes lags a little when I first start it up, but otherwise it runs fine. I spent $1300 on it which is excessive, but it was totally worth it to me and I love it.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited April 2017
    KHS12 wrote: »
    Giiiirl I have a 2012 HP that runs every Sims game 1-4 on it just fine. There is occasional lagging/crashing, but all-in-all, I don't think you need to have a fancy gaming computer to run all of the games.
    My parents work with computers, so I've had an Alienware laptop and desktop before. They're great for gaming but not necessary!

HP Laptop here as well,still lagless ,modless, still perfect graphics, everything Sims 3 installed whole store blah blah just spent last 5 hours finishing a bar venue build and playtesting it never once have to worry about saving.Clearly can see seasons is installed as are all the rest.

11r812v.jpg

Almost everything IS ICE Including four special premade townie beauties captured for eternity in cryogenics :o

25ap4oy.jpg

19tlok.jpg

The Sim closest to the camera on the left is Betty Simovitch from Riverview :love:

ohjxit.jpg

This is Laticia Rosario from Sunlit Tides :love:

110m26g.jpg

The one here on the left is Tina talisman from Oasis Landing

2vjwyro.jpg

The sim by the Java Bar is Pearl Yang

ilj6mh.jpg

Closer shot :love:

znsd1h.jpg

The little brown gnome of sculpting you see was left behind because he is cool.

ipp25v.jpg

Venue also has two bathrooms both of which have ice sinks and toilets

Those darn unreliable HP laptops. :smirk:

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @KHS12 @CravenLestat The problem with those recommendations is of course not that we don't believe you. It's that HP is just a brand name. Whether it's the best one to be shopping for such purposes may be debatable for various reasons, but they have made and still make plenty of computers that are perfectly capable of carrying the entire game with all content and tons of CC if desired. They also make plenty of computers that wouldn't be capable of getting the base game alone started up without blowing gaskets all over the place (think of the around $199 (US Dollars) super light portable laptop types with weak processors and no graphics card, and the all-in-one desktops that have no cooling system). And they have plenty of models in between. It's the components and specs that are important, not the brand name. What we don't need is players thinking that they can select a computer capable of running the entire game based on brand name alone and waste their money on models that are just never going to work well or for very long.

No, TS3 does not need a 2017 standards official gaming computer to run. It's a 2009 program and wouldn't know what to do with all of that power. But it does have real needs and requirements. Players not accustomed to being able to tell the difference between processors and graphics card types, those who don't know the difference between hard drives and RAM, etc., will not be happy if they make a selection that is far below what can reasonably be expected to carry the game.

My desktop computer is from 2011. A serious gamer would laugh at its configuration, probably (which is why I never invite serious gamers over to look at it). But it is strong enough to have survived the entire TS3 game and I am certain it could run TS4 reasonably well if I put it to the task. As long as things hold up mechanically, age itself doesn't really matter. Heck, that last bit applies to many of us players as well. You know, we didn't all roll off the assembly line last week ourselves either, some of us have developed odd squeaks and groan noises and have needed some parts replacing, but many of us still continue to function well enough through some miracle or other. ;)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Alienware family here...if you can afford one and feel it is worth your money go for it and get a good gaming one, a warning though they are pricy but in my opinion well worth it.

Though I have a $750.00 5 year old HP that is running pretty good still, has all the EP's SP's and half the store...probably more like 3/4 of the store at my buying rate! I have been playing on my Alienware for the past two days and the speed compared to the HP blows it out of the water...(it better as it cost over 3X what the HP did).

I had to sneak to get my son in the picture with his laptop (luckily he has his headphones on so he didn't hear me). My eldest son also has one...

IMG_6755_zpsomhqghuz.jpg
  • Options
    slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    Someday I will have an awesome gaming desktop that I built myself, but right now a laptop is just more convenient for me.
  • Options
    @KHS12 @CravenLestat The problem with those recommendations is of course not that we don't believe you. It's that HP is just a brand name. Whether it's the best one to be shopping for such purposes may be debatable for various reasons, but they have made and still make plenty of computers that are perfectly capable of carrying the entire game with all content and tons of CC if desired. They also make plenty of computers that wouldn't be capable of getting the base game alone started up without blowing gaskets all over the place (think of the around $199 (US Dollars) super light portable laptop types with weak processors and no graphics card, and the all-in-one desktops that have no cooling system). And they have plenty of models in between. It's the components and specs that are important, not the brand name. What we don't need is players thinking that they can select a computer capable of running the entire game based on brand name alone and waste their money on models that are just never going to work well or for very long.

No, TS3 does not need a 2017 standards official gaming computer to run. It's a 2009 program and wouldn't know what to do with all of that power. But it does have real needs and requirements. Players not accustomed to being able to tell the difference between processors and graphics card types, those who don't know the difference between hard drives and RAM, etc., will not be happy if they make a selection that is far below what can reasonably be expected to carry the game.

My desktop computer is from 2011. A serious gamer would laugh at its configuration, probably (which is why I never invite serious gamers over to look at it). But it is strong enough to have survived the entire TS3 game and I am certain it could run TS4 reasonably well if I put it to the task. As long as things hold up mechanically, age itself doesn't really matter. Heck, that last bit applies to many of us players as well. You know, we didn't all roll off the assembly line last week ourselves either, some of us have developed odd squeaks and groan noises and have needed some parts replacing, but many of us still continue to function well enough through some miracle or other. ;)

Just to note, You, @KHS12 and @CravenLestat have older hardware. The game is older.Your computers are older and they don't make your hardware anymore. This game does not like newer low end hardware. If someone were to go buy a lower end computer now with newer hardware the game won't usually run well. How many people we have seen in Tech that come in with new lower end integrated hardware that can't play the game. People will find out the hard way when they need to replace their low end computers they have now had for 4 years +.
  • Options

See my post above this one. You have older hardware that they don't make anymore. Try to buy a lower end computer now with new hardware and it won't run sims 3 and 4 well or it may not even run at all.

I have played this game on low end computers to higher end. What a difference. I would hate to play this game with lag and crashing do to playing on a low end computer. If your playing the sims 4 and crashing it will only get worse. It's not a complete game. The sims 4 also likes newer hardware and requires constant video driver updates.

No one needs alienware. It's an over priced dell. They make much better computers and there is now a lot more hardware to choose from since you bought your computer in 2012.. I would not suggest going out an buying another cheap computer if you have to replace your 5 year old computer. Buy a computer that meets recommended requirements to insure you won't be in tech asking us why the games run plum on a new computer. Even though your parents work with computers if they don't play the sims than they don't know what the games require. I have seen many tech people on webd like Tom's hardware give bad computer advice when it comes to buying a computer for the sims. Those people then wind up in our tech section here wondering why the game won't run properly. It's best to get tech advice from those of us who know tech and know what this game needs to run.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I don't have any specific names for you, but I recommend a nice gaming computer. It will be faster all around. Otherwise your alternative is buying a cheap computer and then regretting it for the next few years.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

See my post above this one. You have older hardware that they don't make anymore. Try to buy a lower end computer now with new hardware and it won't run sims 3 and 4 well or it may not even run at all.

I have played this game on low end computers to higher end. What a difference. I would hate to play this game with lag and crashing do to playing on a low end computer. If your playing the sims 4 and crashing it will only get worse. It's not a complete game. The sims 4 also likes newer hardware and requires constant video driver updates.

No one needs alienware. It's an over priced dell. They make much better computers and there is now a lot more hardware to choose from since you bought your computer in 2012.. I would not suggest going out an buying another cheap computer if you have to replace your 5 year old computer. Buy a computer that meets recommended requirements to insure you won't be in tech asking us why the games run plum on a new computer. Even though your parents work with computers if they don't play the sims than they don't know what the games require. I have seen many tech people on webd like Tom's hardware give bad computer advice when it comes to buying a computer for the sims. Those people then wind up in our tech section here wondering why the game won't run properly. It's best to get tech advice from those of us who know tech and know what this game needs to run.

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make here? I simply said I have an HP laptop that works well for me. I wasn't recommending the OP go out and buy one, but mine works extremely well and I didn't spend tons of money on it. It is 5 year old laptop but runs like a champ, and I never said it needed to be replaced. Also, when I say it crashes/lags sometimes, I mean in rare cases. Very, very rare. It seems like you are saying I'm giving the OP bad advice, when I was simply stating MY personal gaming situation. Which is perfectly fine and dandy.
    Oh, and my father does in fact play games. So do all 3 of my brothers. We are a computer loving, gamer-friendly family. I also was not recommending an Alienware, I was in fact doing the opposite.
    Did somebody give you a computer tech sticker that you're wearing a little too proudly over there? :D
    @phoebebebe13
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make here? I simply said I have an HP laptop that works well for me. I wasn't recommending the OP go out and buy one, but mine works extremely well and I didn't spend tons of money on it. It is 5 year old laptop but runs like a champ, and I never said it needed to be replaced. Also, when I say it crashes/lags sometimes, I mean in rare cases. Very, very rare. It seems like you are saying I'm giving the OP bad advice, when I was simply stating MY personal gaming situation. Which is perfectly fine and dandy.
    Oh, and my father does in fact play games. So do all 3 of my brothers. We are a computer loving, gamer-friendly family. I also was not recommending an Alienware, I was in fact doing the opposite.
    Did somebody give you a computer tech sticker that you're wearing a little too proudly over there? :D
    @phoebebebe13

First off I was paged into this thread by someone else. I didn't just happen on to this thread and decide to jump in. Igazor and I are in tech here every day seeing all the new low end computers that can't run the game. OP was asking if you need a gaming laptop or do they make them thinner. At this point "IF" you are buying a new computer a low end computer with new hardware more times than not won't work on this game. You would need a gaming computer to get the game running on newer hardware if you want to play the entire game or even the heavier EPs like Pets, seasons, ITF and IP. The game is older than the new hardware out there. It does not have to be aleinware ( yes you did say that too) .

Your hardware came out while the game was still being made. My point being it is 5 years old. They don't make your hardware anymore.It's not like OP can go out and buy your computer. It sounded like OP might want a new laptop why they might be asking. If that is what OP is after and wants to play the whole game, the whole store , CC ect they are not going to get a cheap modern day laptop to run the game. They will need a laptop that meets recommended requirements on desktop. That will require a higher end gaming laptop to equal the requirements on desktop.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Anckaa wrote: »
    I was often wondering if there is a computer which could run all The Sims 3 content without lag, so all expansion/stuff packs, all store content and a lot of CC? :smiley:

I heard of some laptops which are only made for playing games, but is there a "standard" looking laptop that can do very similar as those gaming laptops?

I'm sure there are many computers depending on configurations that can run TS3 with all EP's/SP's/The whole store/And CC depending on your HDD and/or SSD. I would recommend taking a look here to see known compatible video cards. http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

Here for performance data of CPU's. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/
    Also, here for performance data of video cards. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

There's also other tabs up top that are useful. I've used all those resources and some when building my first gaming desktop.

Case: NZXT Technologies Phantom 240 Mid Tower Chassis Cases CA-PH240-W1

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA
    6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz

Video Card: EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR G-SYNC Support
    GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
    x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

Power Supply: EVGA 600 B1 100-B1-0600-KR 80+ BRONZE 6000W
    Includes FREE Power On Self Tester

Memory: G. SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
    SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
    Model F3-12800CL9D--8GBRL

Disc Drive: SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224DB/BEBE Not really important and could have been better but was not interested in any other features than the ability to read and play CD's, DVD's. Haven't tried the DVD Burner though.

=======

If you want to play games on a laptop, the best option is to buy a gaming laptop. Depending on the non-gaming laptop configuration and game requirements will determine whether it will run fine or not.

This is the gaming laptop my mother bought me. From what I have played, it runs all EP's/SP's/The whole store/And very minimal CC. Runs best without CC or very little. Would not recommend any CC that is CPU intensive with the laptop I have which doesn't matter because it's an old, out of stock model anyway but still applies to me. I'm sharing my laptop specifications in case it may help as a starting point if you decide you want a laptop. Also, I upgraded the RAM myself from 4GB to 8GB. Forgot to mention, can handle all settings on high with little to no lag.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114903

Pictures from my laptop.
    Screenshot-1725.jpg
    Screenshot-874.jpg
    Screenshot-962.jpg

Sidenote: I have found a way to make the game look even better by messing with NVidia settings. Both my laptop and desktop graphics look clearer. And no, I don't use photoshop or any other editing program to sharpen the images or any other image manipulation. Unless I'm doing something like this.
    Sims_Comparison.jpg
    ReBoot_1.jpg
    Rose_Death_drybrush.jpg
    Simon_and_Lisa.jpg
    TS4_Comparison_3.jpg

Example from my laptop.
    Screenshot-13.jpg

Example from my desktop.
    Screenshot-340.jpg]
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @phoebebebe13
    (checked three times to make sure I am still on a TS3 forum board and not...uhm, a different often less friendly one)

Someone asked for guidance on newer laptops. They got general information from some techies, myself included, and anecdotals from some players who are still very happy with their five year old current devices. To someone who is not all that tech savvy, it may be difficult to tell the difference and could use some clarification. No one is trying to be more "correct" than others, most of us are trying to be helpful here.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13
    (checked three times to make sure I am still on a TS3 forum board and not...uhm, a different often less friendly one)

Someone asked for guidance on newer laptops. .

Exactly yet people keep posting older computers. Not like OP could buy those older computers. This question would have had better results if it was posted in Tech and not in gen discussions.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Personally, I recommend desktop over laptop if you don't need to be mobile and can spare the space at home. Desktops can be upgraded, better performance, and often cheaper. To meet the game requirements (base+all packs) it will fall under the gaming category but you certainly don't need an Alienware computer. Gaming laptops tend to be a bit bigger/thicker than the average casual laptop for web browsing and light task. This is for cooling which is very important.

The current mobile specs found in new hardware today to look for: i5 or i7 quad core processor. (look for HQ or MQ). GTX 960m, GTX 1050 mobile, GTX 1050ti mobile, or GTX 1060 mobile graphics card. 8 or 16 GB of ram. 1TB hard drive all though you can get by with 500GB but space might become an issue. Additional solid state drive is a luxury but Sims 3 would load and save much faster vs hard drive. Anything lower than 250GB of space for a solid state drive is not recommended if you plan to install the game onto this drive because of space issues. This will drive up the price. These specs are for the sims or any other game with similar game requirements.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I'm just moderately annoyed because I wasn't recommending OP go out and buy the exact make and model of my laptop, but that was the assumption from several people. I simply stated that my laptop, regardless of the fact that it can't be bought anymore, works great with the games. I'm aware that my laptop is no longer a buyable product, and wasn't trying to be counterproductive but apparently I was and that ruffled some techies feathers. (Admin can move this to the tech section so us less knowledgeable folk won't ruin this thread)
    And while my comment might not seem friendly, I can't say that the other ones were either. I was just throwing in my bit. I love this community and this franchise and my main point to the OP was that you dont have to drop heaps of money on a laptop or desktop to play all of the games on a quality level. You can disagree, but thats my opinion regardless.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    When I upgrade my computer, I'm going custom-build. I shoot photos and video for a living. Let's just say that I need multiple cores for batch-processing 1500 shots at a time or processing video and I just don't have the time for the computer to be sitting there churning away for 4 1/2 hrs on a task. I shoot hockey during the hockey season for my son's hockey team and nature/landscape photos, so the computer isn't just for playing games, though it's nice...to be able to without lag.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top