Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are the best packs for Sims 3?

Hello

My niece has Sims 3, and she would like to get a few packs for it in the future. Can you recommend any particularly good ones?

Comments

• Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited March 2017
    EXP I love World Adventues my personal fave cant beat 3 worlds in one exp France/Egypt/China,Late Night is really good too.WA adds photography skill,awesome!!!! martial arts,and Nectar/wine making plus really great clothes and I love visiting the worlds and exploring tombs

SPs I really like High end Loft and Master Suite fills the void as far as sleepwear plus has 3 great female hairstyles I overuse way to much :(

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I second what CravenLestat said. WA is probably my favorite. I really like Pets and Seasons, too, but those are pretty strenuous on the computer. Supernatural adds some different elements to gameplay.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    *High fives* @Odonata68 :p I <3 WA
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @CravenLestat That's right! *high fives back* lol
    Here ya go @Pancakesandwich, some pics for ya. :)
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpgscreenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. ;)
  • Options
    bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    They are all awesome and in opinion worth investing in them all.
  • Options
    UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
    bluzkat65 wrote: »
    They are all awesome and in opinion worth investing in them all.

This ^ I really can't decide. During the online sale around black friday, I bought all the EPs I didn't have for 5 bucks each. Worth it.
  • Options
    SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    Am I the only one who doesn't like WA? xD I like the stuff that came with it but the destinations are pretty lack luster to me. It's probably because I'm super lazy and don't want to travel a lot, so I prefer packs that enhance my experience in the home world. I love late night, ambitions, and seasons. If she's a family player, generations is great. Season's is a must have imo.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I have all of the collection and it was worth spending hairstylist money on that instead of the hairstylist.It made the game more playable and more enjoyable for me though my computer is too powerful for the game.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    Am I the only one who doesn't like WA? xD I like the stuff that came with it but the destinations are pretty lack luster to me. It's probably because I'm super lazy and don't want to travel a lot, so I prefer packs that enhance my experience in the home world. I love late night, ambitions, and seasons. If she's a family player, generations is great. Season's is a must have imo.
    No, you're not the only one, I think it's the most controversial EP of them all (meaning all iterations) ;) I think it's an EP you either love or don't care about/dislike. I absolutely love it, though there are entire generations in a row I don't do anything with it.

'Best' pack is impossible to answer, that's opinional. But I think you'll find most people value seasons and pets highly in their game. And Generations. Generations in my opinion is indispensable, but not the best EP, in terms of it could have been so much better.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Too hard for me to choose, I love them all!

I find that the Starter Pack, which is 3 in 1 deal ( ex: Sims3, Late night, High End Loft) is a good deal. Your niece could get an Expansion Bundle, which is 2 in 1 (ex: World Adventures and Generations). Both sets are under $20 at Walmart. Might find a better bundle deal elsewhere, and around the holidays!

Since she has Sims3, I would go for the Expansion Bundle, but even the Starter Pack is cheap, if you know anyone else wanting to play the Sims3.

IF I had to choose my favorites, they would be Seasons and Late Night <3

• Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    My personal favorites are Supernatural and Pets but it's really up to the tastes of the simmer. In my experience simmers will either love Supernatural or have no use for depending on whether or not they like "realism" in the game. I love Pets for the horses. I like to play farmers or medieval style.

What kind of play style does she have?
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I agree with those who said a lot depends on what your niece is interested in.

For me Seasons is number 1, and according to a poll taken here last year. It has seasonal weather, festivals, holidays and activities. It does put a strain on low-end computers though, especially when it snows.

There are quite a few that I like and some that are just OK. It really does depend on what she likes to do in game.
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2017
    My favourites:
    Late night
    Generations
    University
  • Options
    I'm always surprised by how many people love generations. (I'm not criticizing just giving my opinion that is admittedly worth approximately 2 cents minus a 2 cent tax) To me it only added a nag system. One thing that would help it is if there was a cut scene for big events like for sims2ult like when a sim is graduating you could see the sim get the diploma and her/his parents in the audience. But, I dislike for my sims' lives to be interrupted, dragged off to the rabbithole school while I have to wait. There's no fun in that for me.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    AthenaOnyx wrote: »
    I'm always surprised by how many people love generations. (I'm not criticizing just giving my opinion that is admittedly worth approximately 2 cents minus a 2 cent tax) To me it only added a nag system. One thing that would help it is if there was a cut scene for big events like for sims2ult like when a sim is graduating you could see the sim get the diploma and her/his parents in the audience. But, I dislike for my sims' lives to be interrupted, dragged off to the rabbithole school while I have to wait. There's no fun in that for me.

I think I've expressed my total agreement before :) .

What surprises me is simmers say they like playing with kids and families and that's why they like Generations when a lot of the added content sends the kids to rabbit holes where they don't actually play the kids. I wanted to play my kids in boarding school and I wanted to play them at the prom. It's like Generations is designed so you can play large families by not actually having to play the kids. And then some of the interactions and features that were added I find annoying. I have more mods installed to fix some of Generations "features" than any other EP. There are things I like about Generations so I have it installed but only because of the mods I also have installed.

I just thought of a theory why some simmers really like Generations and some don't. It might have to do with what life span you play. I play on a close to normal life span - 91 days. But if you play on epic or have turned off aging then the interactions I find annoying and waste precious time (pranks, mid-life crisis, teaching teens to drive, holding royal court, curfews with their locked-in scolding, etc) you might find fun and interesting and help fill up the time.
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited March 2017
    cwaddell wrote: »

What surprises me is simmers say they like playing with kids and families and that's why they like Generations when a lot of the added content sends the kids to rabbit holes where they don't actually play the kids. I wanted to play my kids in boarding school and I wanted to play them at the prom. It's like Generations is designed so you can play large families by not actually having to play the kids. And then some of the interactions and features that were added I find annoying. I have more mods installed to fix some of Generations "features" than any other EP. There are things I like about Generations so I have it installed but only because of the mods I also have installed.

I just thought of a theory why some simmers really like Generations and some don't. It might have to do with what life span you play. I play on a close to normal life span - 91 days. But if you play on epic or have turned off aging then the interactions I find annoying and waste precious time (pranks, mid-life crisis, teaching teens to drive, holding royal court, curfews with their locked-in scolding, etc) you might find fun and interesting and help fill up the time.

That last paragraph has a lot of truth in it. I think it also depends on whether you have a running story - either documented or in your head - for all life stages. My simkids all have their own story going on. While I don't use the punishment features very often - when I want to play a troubled kid, it can be very useful.

Generations rounded out the game play for family players, giving kids and elders a bit of a gameplay boost, even though EA admittedly cut a few corners. ;) Maybe I'm too safe a player but... I've never had a problem with hitting curfew , don't really pay much attention to mid-life crises unless it drives the story, driver's ed teaches teens to drive where I come from and pranks... they can be annoying sometimes, but as they say... there's a mod for that. Or... keep 'em so busy they don't have time which is what I do. I rarely see pranks/scolding/that kind of thing in my saves.

Edit to add: Didn't respond to the OP: @Pancakesandwich - It would be next to impossible for me to say which expansions or stuff packs to get your niece, not knowing her and all - they all add something that I find indispensable. Seasons and Pets are biggies for many people here, but personally... WA, Ambitions, and Supernatural are probably my top favorites. It's a personal thing so you may need to ask her. :)
  • Options
    Again, my 2 cent minus a 2 cent tax. Virtual cookies for everyone.

For me, Generations gets rid of freedom. For example, most baby-boomer men I know say that when they were 8 or 9 they'd camp out with other boys in the mountains without adult supervision. But, you can't do that with the curfew system because the psychic police will find you and send you home and then the parents regardless of what the simmer wants is going to ground them. I know-I know its bad idea to let little ones do stuff like this because of bad people. But, what if I just want to pretend that my sims are growing up in the 60s when parents let kids do stuff like this and the kids are safe because bad people don't exist in the game? What about telling the story I want to tell? I've even heard some simmers that the police took their children home when they were out with their parents, but I can't say for sure because I don't remember it happening in my game.

Children also have less individually with Generations because they all do stuff like hold court and sing to their dolls. It used to be that if you had an artistic child they'll head to easel while the athletic child heads towards the basketball hoop. (plus the singing and holding of court is so loud, possibly the most annoying sounds in the game).

Generations didn't add too much that imagination couldn't already supply. If I want the children to have curfews then I just make sure they're home by that hour. If want them to be sneaky I can flip a coin to see if they are caught. If want the parents to ground them then I just ground them and not let them do whatever it is that they are prohibited from. As far as boarding schools go, I just create my own. I build a house to comfortably house 7 teens/children and one adult and then just put them in there. I can choose to play it or play the parents.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    For me a cut scene in Sims 2 is more distracting and immersion breaking than a rabbithole. I do regret an event like prom is a rabbithole feature (with always always always the very same outcome, what makes it worse even), but a cut scene wouldn't have made it any better. For me that's not part of the game, it bothers me even. I would have liked prom being a real open party.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

For me, Generations gets rid of freedom. For example, most baby-boomer men I know say that when they were 8 or 9 they'd camp out with other boys in the mountains without adult supervision. But, you can't do that with the curfew system because the psychic police will find you and send you home and then the parents regardless of what the simmer wants is going to ground them. ...
    I often have my child sim learn fishing. It is one of only a few skills they can actually learn as children. I usually like for the child and their parents to watch the fishing channel together before bed. They all increase their fishing skill, increase their relationships and fill their fun meters. With generations I could no longer send the child to go fishing before 6 AM because they got caught every time and the locked in scolding/grounding ruined family relationships. I can still send the child with a parent but it's not the same a sneaking across the street from the legacy lot or out the back gate to fish on the beach. Now I have a mod that can eliminate or limit curfew.

Besides the locked in scolding Generations introduced the new relationship system and the mid-life crisis that almost guarantees a couple will break up/divorce if any "cheating" is confessed or found out whether you want them to break up or not. Just another way EA removed freedom to play the way you want. Generations introduced a much stricter idea of cheating than previously used. What's really strange is if a sim has more than one romantic interest they get a naughty reputation or worse. Kissing creates a romantic interest but woohooing does not. :* So the moral is your sim can go around woohooing with as many sims as you want, just don't kiss them.

• Options

I agree with the prom thing, like others said it could be an open party (as other EPs offers parties...).
    But graduation ceremony? I mean, I don't know, it's mostly formal, even in real life it's boring:) and it *does* add new animation after the ceremony (when they throw the diploma in the air.. I think it's cute).
    Other than that, Generations adds so much to all life stages... like the custom chest for kids, and tree house, and the video camera (you could record toddler and than watch it when he grows up- that's adorable), and bachelors parties with the dancer, and giving gifts, and the daycare proffession... all of these examples are pretty basic in my game. I think this EP would fit someone who is a family player and likes realism as myself.
  • Options

I agree with the life span idea. For me, as someone who playes really long life spans, I want my sim to actually experience everything before moving on to the next life stage.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm a family player too, but Generations drives me crazy all the time. It's the only EP that I don't really like. Because of adults being obsessed with hopscotch and pillow fighting, children putting their ugliest outfit to play king all the time, buggy "free vacation" for parents, rabbithole prom where teens randomly start relationships with almost complete strangers, imaginary friends that are more creepy than cute and forced on almost all children, and not forgetting how the Sims 3 started getting laggy with that expansion. If only these features were disabled and prom were "real" instead of a rabbithole, I'd have a better opinion of it. I like the daycare job though, it's why I haven't uninstalled Generations.
    I personally like Pets, Seasons and University to complete the base game, but I find Supernatural, World Adventures and Into the Future especially fun, not really because of the adventures but more with all the stuff that they add to make original households and worlds.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

For me, Generations gets rid of freedom. For example, most baby-boomer men I know say that when they were 8 or 9 they'd camp out with other boys in the mountains without adult supervision. But, you can't do that with the curfew system because the psychic police will find you and send you home and then the parents regardless of what the simmer wants is going to ground them. ...
    I often have my child sim learn fishing. It is one of only a few skills they can actually learn as children. I usually like for the child and their parents to watch the fishing channel together before bed. They all increase their fishing skill, increase their relationships and fill their fun meters. With generations I could no longer send the child to go fishing before 6 AM because they got caught every time and the locked in scolding/grounding ruined family relationships. I can still send the child with a parent but it's not the same a sneaking across the street from the legacy lot or out the back gate to fish on the beach. Now I have a mod that can eliminate or limit curfew.

Besides the locked in scolding Generations introduced the new relationship system and the mid-life crisis that almost guarantees a couple will break up/divorce if any "cheating" is confessed or found out whether you want them to break up or not. Just another way EA removed freedom to play the way you want. Generations introduced a much stricter idea of cheating than previously used. What's really strange is if a sim has more than one romantic interest they get a naughty reputation or worse. Kissing creates a romantic interest but woohooing does not. :* So the moral is your sim can go around woohooing with as many sims as you want, just don't kiss them.

I don't understand the curfew thing- isn't it part of the base game anyway? I mean even if it was a patch thing that came with generations, currently it's not exclusive to generations (I think).
    Regarding "Kissing creates a romantic interest but woohooing does not" I've never managed to get two sims woohoo without kissing before:) so at least from my experience - there is an escalation in the reputation that makes sense.
    Post edited by Avatarit on
  • Options
    Mycatjake1Mycatjake1 Posts: 61 Member
    I have 6 EPs (World Adventures, Late Night, Generations, Seasons, Supernatural, and Into the Future), but I only have 4 installed because for some reason my computer doesn't like LN and WA. I would get the EPs based on what your niece likes to do in The Sims.

I got Supernatural because I like having supernatural sims and the alchemy skill is really fun. Plus you can make playable ghosts without having to kill sims.

Generations seems to add a lot to the family aspect of the game, so if she likes raising families then that one is good.

Seasons adds weather, festivals, and aliens (though I was disappointed in the fact that you couldn't make aliens in CAS).

ITF is one of my favorites. I love sci-fi, so being able to give your sims jet packs, plumbots, time machines, hoverboards, etc. is totally awesome to me.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    @Mycatjake1 You can use mods like MasterController, to add aliens (adults or babies) to your town and edit them in CAS, I've written a tutorial about it :
    backtothesims3.com/2017/01/08/add-aliens-with-mastercontroller/
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top