The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quit playing games EA

Does anyone else find it extremely pathetic that we only have 3 expansion packs so far in 3 years? Sims 2 had like 6 or something and sims 3 had the same amount by that time. (Not exact numbers but you get the point). In 2018 the sims franchise should be up, because of the 4 year mark they usually last till. The sims team is either going to make this iteration last longer or they must be working on sims 5.

Comments

• Options
    UnrealRootUnrealRoot Posts: 307 Member
    edited March 2017
    Well they are working on Bowling Stuff right now so they aren't being lazy ^^ I don't really mind as I think doing what they do takes a lot of work and the Guru's have their own life. Maybe back then the expansion packs were easier, maybe the number of workers was different.. I don't work there so I don't know.
    The expansion packs seem improved to me than from what was before, so they probably take more work. That is my opinion through.
  • Options
    sallysimnamonsallysimnamon Posts: 81 Member
    Personally I haven't been as excited for packs as I used to be in previous games but I can understand that these things take a lot of time and, to be honest, I feel that the creators have a lot more pressure on them for this Sims series because of the backslash and complaints they've been receiving. I find some of the stuff packs a little lazy but, at the end of the day, I don't have to buy it if I don't want to. I didn't think I'd like the expansion packs much but I adore what I've played around with so far, so I'm excited to see what's still to come. That's just my view on things, however. I understand why some players are annoyed but I think we need to give EA and the Gurus some credit.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The Sims 3 had almost 6 EPs by this time, 2 and a half years after release so it just feel quite thin in comparison.

Also before anyone mentions 'but TS4 also has Game Packs' I am talking about proper EPs here. Give me a fleshed out and well thought EP over a minor GP anyday!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    sweetbluekiana1sweetbluekiana1 Posts: 167 Member
    @UnrealRoot I'm talking about expansion packs and they have enough stuff packs im sick of seeing those. @sallysimnamon Okay so it takes time but back then they came out faster. Technology is inhancing so the "they're busy and have a life blah blah blah" mindset really gotta go.
  • Options
    UnrealRootUnrealRoot Posts: 307 Member
    @UnrealRoot I'm talking about expansion packs and they have enough stuff packs im sick of seeing those. @sallysimnamon Okay so it takes time but back then they came out faster. Technology is inhancing so the "they're busy and have a life blah blah blah" mindset really gotta go.

They are still content to me. There are also game packs now which take much longer and imo two of them = expansion pack. Sorry we just don't agree and I don't want to argue with a fellow simmer since it won't get us anywhere. I just gave me opinion that's all.
  • Options
    @king_of_simcity7 Exactly. I've been thinking this all along even after the toddler update. Great we have them but what about more expansion packs though. 3 in 3 years? :neutral:
  • Options
    @UnrealRoot I'm honestly just talking about expansion packs. Yeah we have game packs and I like those, but I just want more expansion packs. It's been 3 years. Unfortunate. To each their own I guess.
  • Options
    @sweetbluekiana1 Well lets say that TS4 has around 5 years in total then you could have a total of 6, maybe 7 EPs at a push. I wouldn't know how much content is in the GPs but probably almost half than the TS4 EPs and not even half of the TS3 EPs and with no store I would feel that TS4 will still have less content that TS3 by the end of it. That is not forgetting that TS4 had an empty base game and I haven't even mentioned the lack of creative tools. CAW, CAP and of course CASt.

So I am not trying to grill TS4 here but seeing it from an outsider's point of view, TS4 is offering less than TS3 did and TS4 is certainly not cheap, even after quite a lot of 'discounts'

At the end of the day players are asking for expansion packs, the real good stuff that kept you entertained for a long time.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I don't think they're following any specific time line for TS4 like before. It seems to have gone rogue for this iteration, keeping Simmers on tenterhooks waiting for the next EP release.

I used to get hardcore PEPS during TS3 but not anymore. Everything has seemed to change for TS4, kind of like, we will get to it when we have time.

The more I look at this iteration, the more I think it will be the last. That spark seems to be gone :cry:
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    to be fair I think it's easy to give game companies trouble when a person doesn't work there, yeah technology is moving ahead so is game design as we get more ideas on programs to make more happen. However that doesn't change the amount of work and we don't know how many times they get set back by some that make mistakes it happens. It's better they take more time on anything it's not a race to match the series before. Coding just small additions can take months with games under this, like with indie developers that also have bigger teams, cut them some slack they're people with lives and overtime isn't always enough to push work on the game further...again because bit by bit work could take months going back and forth making sure everything is functioning well enough, even patches can take a while so they do take time out to get things playable and then work on fixes on the side that we get for free which in the long run takes work away from the next piece of the puzzle. As much money as companies make on video games I think if they could easily do everything we need them to do, while giving us everything we want, as fast as possible then that's how it would be. We're not there yet with tech though.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @king_of_simcity7 This. All around facts but people will say we're ungrateful haters. We're not. Just pointing out facts.
  • Options
    @aricarai Yeah I feel the same way. When toddlers got added I was excited for like 2 days then I realized this game is still severely lacking. I can see why people went back to sims 3.
  • Options
    @RedDestiny92 That just sounds like a bunch of excuses honestly. Didn't EA fire lots of people that were good? Well that explains everything. No motivation, love for the game or inspiration just a job for the creators I guess.
  • Options
    sallysimnamonsallysimnamon Posts: 81 Member
    Honestly, I understand your frustration and I agree that we've had far more stuff packs than I feel is necessary that, as I mentioned in my first response, I find to be a bit lazy in some places but I can avoid buying them if I don't want to. I too would really like to see some more expansion packs soon but I personally just don't even see the point in being negative for the sake of it now (not that I'm saying you are specifically because I do agree with the points that you've made, but I've came across other members of the community who complain for the sake of complaining) because I'd like to hope that the creators are trying and, as I said, they deserve some credit considering the amount of backlash they've received since the Sims 4 was released. I hope I didn't sound as if I was attacking you or anything in my first comment. I guess it's just a topic that people either agree or disagree on but I certainly think you've made a reasonable statement and I'm sure we'll eventually get a new expansion pack that we can all enjoy. :)
  • Options
    @sallysimnamon I agree with you on the complaining. Some of it is really petty. (to me). But constructive criticism is much needed for this franchise. If everyone just agreed with everything this game put out we probably wouldn't have toddlers by now or the things they left out of the base game. But if didn't seem like you were attacking me. I like to debate and discuss facts so if I came off harsh I apologize.
  • Options
    aricarai wrote: »
    I don't think they're following any specific time line for TS4 like before. It seems to have gone rogue for this iteration, keeping Simmers on tenterhooks waiting for the next EP release.

I used to get hardcore PEPS during TS3 but not anymore. Everything has seemed to change for TS4, kind of like, we will get to it when we have time.

The more I look at this iteration, the more I think it will be the last. That spark seems to be gone :cry:

Interesting points.

In the old days 'PEPS' was a big thing. Nowadays it seems to be more 'PEPA' or Pre Expansion Pack Anxiety.

I remember seeing a bit of hype for CL last year, only to see that hype crushed after players learnt that you could not even build your own apartments and then just to add more salt into the wound, your Sims could only teleport into elevators? People criticise me for not playing TS4 but is it any wonder when I do actually keep tabs on things and learn of all of these set backs? Even then I did try the Free Trial and I already know what to expect, I judge a game by it's base game and not the later add ons.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    @sweetbluekiana1 Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I think that it is valuable for players to be able to give their feedback as it could maybe mean that one day, hopefully for TS5 we will see a much more positive situation :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    Can you imagine what the quality of EPs in The Sims 4 would be like if they produced two year? Not one of the three released so far has been high quality; they couldn't even animate elevators in City Living.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Little wonder EA has this reputation:

sz851y1472ky.png
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    edited March 2017
    How many GPs did Sims 3 have at this point? Oh right - none. If you count the feature-rich $20 GPs as 0.5, we're at the same point Sims 3 was. And maybe if Sims 3 had had GPs I would have felt less ripped off by $40 EPs topped up with events that consisted of some text posts and content that felt completely divorced from the theme. There is nothing about EPs, imo, that makes them inherently superior to GPs.

Edited for a typo
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    UnrealRoot wrote: »
    Well they are working on Bowling Stuff right now so they aren't being lazy ^^ I don't really mind as I think doing what they do takes a lot of work and the Guru's have their own life. Maybe back then the expansion packs were easier, maybe the number of workers was different.. I don't work there so I don't know.
    The expansion packs seem improved to me than from what was before, so they probably take more work. That is my opinion through.

Ughh...it frustrates me people still don't understand the concept of each team works on different stuff. The people working on bowling stuff aren't the same as the ones who work on the expansion packs and btw....they finished developing bowling stuff.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Can you imagine what the quality of EPs in The Sims 4 would be like if they produced two year? Not one of the three released so far has been high quality; they couldn't even animate elevators in City Living.

I guess that you are right, two EPs a year would see one EP split into two...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Little wonder EA has this reputation:

sz851y1472ky.png

TS3: can you see those mountains?

Yes, I sculpted them in the CAW tool :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    How many GPs did Sims 3 have at this point? Oh right - none. If you count the feature-rich $20 GPs as 0.5, we're at the same point Sims 3 was. And maybe if Sims 3 had had GPs I would have felt less ripped off by $40 EPs topped up with events that consisted of some text posts and content that felt completely divorced from the theme. There is nothing about EPs, imo, that makes them inherently superior to GPs.

Edited for a typo

We didn't even have game packs at all though, so what's to compare??? I don't understand this?
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    Workingmum8Workingmum8 Posts: 37 Member
    The sims 3 may not have had game packs, but the store produced premium content once a month that was of a very similar concept. One item that had new gameplay with objects added in around it. So I don't really see how you can use game packs as an excuse not to produce more expansion packs.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top