Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Incoming Transmition No.1

amberquigleyamberquigley Posts: 122 Member
Mission 1: Beginnings
To: MAXARIANCREW@SSA.INTERNAL
Subject: Greetings

Hello Maxarian crew.

If everything has gone according to plan your crew should be awakening from their 7 month stay in cryosleep. By now you should be a few days away from the planet Maxaris where your mission will be taking place.

Just in case you need a bit of a reminder here’s the rundown of Maxaris.

Following the discovery of Sixam and its host of life we began looking for other worlds that might be capable of supporting sim life. After years of searching we came across planet MEA-32117 or as we’re calling is Maxaris.

From initial data scans and images we can tell that Maxaris is comprised of several different regions from lush lands with plenty of winding creeks to dense grasslands to a sprawling desert. We’ve decided that you’ll be landing in the region we’ve named Newcrest and it will be where simanity will take its first real steps towards making a new home.

As for your crew specifically it will be your job to begin setup of Newcrest. Once we receive word that you’ve successfully managed to survive on Maxaris we’ll send more news regarding what to do next and our plans moving forward.

All of us at the SSA are rooting for you and hope for successful word on your progress. Good Luck!

Sincerely

Sim Space Agency Director

Hello everyone and welcome to the sims 4 Colony challenge! Inspired by challenges such as the Drifter Challenge and The Martian Challenge this one aims to bring elements of these two challenges into one and to fit a theme to match my current space obsesion.

As you’ve read in the email above you and one other sim have been recruited to take part on a long journey to colonise the newly discovered planet Maxaris. Start with 2 sims and work your way to having colonised a full new world into a working society capable of supporting itself without the help from Earth.
First off some initial setup, this may take a bit so I’d suggest listening to some youtube while doing this.

Delete all the lots in Oasis Landing and Willow Creek.
For the first set you will be starting in Newcrest, on the Comfy Cubby lot.

You’ll start out by making 2 sims, one male and one female, and they must be YA. Appearance, Traits, and Aspirations are completely up to you. Relationship must be set to roommates. These will be your first colonists. For a bit of fun I’d suggest having at least one everyday wear being a space suit.

The goal for these two is to begin the setup for the rest of the colony.
Specifically
Have both sims reach level 10 in the astronaut career
They can be in the same branch or one in each branch it’s up to you
One sim must be level 10 in the Handiness skill
One sim must be level 10 in the Rocket Science Skill
(optional)
Have at least one child

As stated above you will be starting our on Comfy Cubby well thanks to the generosity of the SSA you’ve been given some supplies to get you started. You’ll need to grab these items as they’ll be important to your mission,

1x Backyard Observatory
2x Space Blanket Bed
1x Gets the Job Done Commercial Metal Sink
1x Talking John
1x MegaCooler
1x NanoCon Touchless Trashcan
2x Geo Des-i-kal
2x The Boss Executive Desk Chair
1x Immersive Bend
3x Garden Planter Box

Once you have these you can create your own starting HAB to begin the mission with.
I’ve got the HAB I’ll be starting with along with a room with everything you’ll need up on the gallery under #Maxarian if you want to use those. Also incase you have anything left after building your HAB take your funds down to 0.

Lastly a few other rules and restrictions for this mission.

1. Play on normal lifespan

2. No cheating except for the initial Money cheat, moveobjects, and in case of a sim bugging out the Rest sim function of TestingCheats.

3. For the time being the regions of Windenburg, Magnolia Promenade, Forgotten Hollows, San Myshuno, and Granite Falls are considered too dangerous for exploration by the SSA, all other travel is permitted.

4. Due to fuel costs and supply concerns we can only get a supply run to pick up things for sale on the interstellar market on Sundays (Fish, Crops, collectables, Paintings, etc.)

5. CC is only allowed as long as it does not give an unfair advantage over others playing the challenge. An exception to this is mods that add more recipes to the woodworking table.

6. If something can be made from the woodworking table you can not buy that object from buy mode (this does not include the starting objects) For example you can not buy a dining table as you can make one from the woodworking table but you are able to buy a treadmill as those are not makeable.

7. Due to fuel costs we can only get new supplies on Sundays meaning you are only able to buy stuff on Sunday.

8. We’re continuing to work on genetic enhancement so for now no aspiration rewards other than ones gained from completing aspirations, this includes potions.

9. Until we are able to conduct further analysis we feel it is best not to eat any crops grown on Maxaris. In other words I hope you like the hefty supply of verial we’ve sent in the meantime :)

10. I mentioned woodworking cc above. That is for added challenge to go with rule 6. For instance in mine I’ll be using cc that adds a craftable stove, fridge, shower, and some other items that can only be unlocked at a high handiness skill so feel free to use things like that for added challenge.

NEW 11. As mentioned above if you can make something on the woodworking table you can not buy that item. Well the wooden objects do not fit very well with the aesthetic of the challenge. For this reason and with some testing I've done I've come up with a solution. Say for instance you want the "Ever so Versatile" end table that table costs I believe 230 simolions, well the end table that you can make usually sells for about 100 or so simolions. In order to buy that end table I'd need to make 2 of the end tables to get within 50 simolions of the price of the object I want. Basically you can buy whatever you want if you make the woodworking equivalent until the value is the same a the desired item.

NEW 12. Just adding that all career items are allowed.

I believe that is everything for now. I’ll be working on the other missions and will post those as I finish them. Feel free to ask any questions in the thread.

Be sure to share anything involving this challenge using #Maxarian on the Gallery!

Good luck to all!
Post edited by amberquigley on

Comments

• Options
    soccer_emmysoccer_emmy Posts: 114 Member
    Can't wait for more!
  • Options

Thought I'd show off my starting team.

VX4SUm1.png?1

Commander Thomas Carrol

LeD96Cj.png

Engineer Ada Brook

I'm curious to see what anyone that does this as well comes up with
  • Options
    soccer_emmysoccer_emmy Posts: 114 Member
    I don't have time to play, but would love to read your story.
  • Options

Log 01: Ada Brook

OXOqXzw.png

Hello there! I'm entering this for the record and to be able to document our findings and lives on this new world. I've tried to get Thomas to write as well but... he's not much for dairies. Anyways its now been a few days since we landed in the region Newcrest, which I'm happy to report is very earth like though the air is a bit thin so we should still use our EVA suits. Um...the HAB well it's not as well equipped as we were hoping.

6BzrwTC.png

To say Thomas was not happy would be an understatement. We're hoping that we'll have enough funds by the time for the first supply run on Sunday to be able get some of the necessary equipment for more analysis on the different aspects of this planet. Thomas is also hoping that we can get the equipment to begin building a rocket so that we can send it to get our own supplies though that will likely take a long time.

XYZb9IG.png

I've decided though that I could at least begin collecting samples of different plants and minerals on this world. Other than these few problems it's been nice seeing this new would. Though the food could be better!

UrhE0c3.png

I wish they had at least sent different types of cereal as I've never been much a fan of Plummio's! I guess it could be worse though. I'll keep this log updated though it may be a while as we're pretty busy down here.

Until next time Ada Brook signing off.
  • Options
    EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    @amberquigley
    Is the name of the challenge Incoming Transmition No.1 (thread title) or Sims 4 Colony Challenge as mentioned in the introduction?
    I really love playing The Martian Challenge by @Buttonsginger and find the http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/819099/the-drifter-challenge-house-001-rules/p1 by @Vihisha fascinating. Newcrest is my favorite place to play or start any challenge. I just cannot bring myself to empty the neighborhoods and destroy all those lovely homes. :smile:

• Options

Log 02: Ada Brook

yodnlki.png

Great news! Our first set of requisitioned supplies came in. Now we can start really getting this place ready. It took a little while to set everything up but this place is really starting to come together.

OjhatQB.png

It's easy to see that Thomas was happy at the chance to get some real exercise again and I'm glad I'll get to continue meditation with the yoga mat I ordered.

Fs2qiZ7.png

Speaking of Thomas something really weird and very concerning happened a few nights ago. I don't remember what time it was but I had heard some odd noises coming from the main room in the middle of the night. Unfortunately when I went to check it out there was nothing there other than Thomas unconscious on the floor. I was relived though that he was ok though there were some strange marks on his neck. I helped him back to bed and he seems fine now but he was pretty drained the day after that happened.

CVff41U.png

zuXGO9d.png

This is concerning as it means that this place may not be as safe as we were hoping. I was considering that we should scrub the mission but Thomas said that we'll just upgrade the security and we should be fine. I'm not sure but I'll trust Thomas' decision, I guess the SSA put him in charge for a reason. I'm glad we're getting along though I was worried about that on the way here since it's gonna just be the two of us for a while.

QPd2pNf.png

Oh! On another good note I've finally gotten to start growing some plants as I found some around the HAB and took a few of the sprouts and began working with them. I'm no botanist but I may be able to write some notes down at least to help when they actually send a team to deal with that. Not to mention that gardening is pretty relaxing in my opinion.

3CATf25.png

Including all the things we ordered I got a workbench so that I can keep up my engineering skills. Not to mention I should eventually be able to create some amenities for us that we can't order from the supply ships. I'll be so happy when I don't have to eat cereal anymore!

RWdbQos.png

Well I've got to go now I'll keep this log updated later, Ada Brook signing off.
  • Options
    EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
  • Options

Log 03: Ada Brook

Hello again! It's been a few weeks now since the last log. Apologies for that but there were some technical difficulties, but on the bright side I managed to fix everything so we should be back on track now!

iyrfbhx.png

There hasn't been anything too major going on lately but on a mission like this that is a good thing. We've seen no sign of what attacked Thomas a few weeks ago but he's recovered just fine and seems to be relaxing a bit more now which is great. Apparently he has a soft spot for bubbles which I learned when I found some in one of the cases of supplies we'd ordered.

Kq6LSGF.png

Ah also we had our first harvest from the plants I'd begun growing. They came in nicely and Thomas we a great help in keeping things running smoothly when I wasn't able to water the plants.

AQgiUo8.png

ybW0Udv.png

We've decided that we'll hold off on trying to eat anything since our analysis showed some odd properties in the plants just to be safe. I guess it's still cereal for now though Thomas says he might have come up with something to fix that. He's not told me what that is yet but I guess I'll know when he's ready.

In other news we've made good progress in our careers. I guess I never mentioned the fact that we're still working with the SSA even from here. Basically we take a shuttle to a nearby orbiting station where most of what's left of simanity is waiting to see the viability of Maxaris and whether it'll be our new home. It's important for us to keep our bodies and minds sharp though I was more of the brains rather than the brawns of this mission so I'm struggling a bit with that. Thomas got a bit ahead of me on the career ladder but I'm totally not annoyed by that, not one bit... ok maybe a little...

PfSAHNu.png

NVNn8tp.png

6XnEwoR.png

Nah but in all honesty I'm enjoying this and getting to know Thomas. He's be a great help around here and it's nice seeing him open up a bit and shed that whole "mission commander" attitude. Who knows maybe this friendship will grow into something else? Most people would say that'd be obvious considering we're the only two people on our own little planet. Either way I'm glad I was assigned this mission rather than just stuck in a lab on the station.

PH71CbI.png

wuLe1P9.png

Hm.. I think that's all for now. We're planning to do a bit of a renovation to the HAB or at least add an underground section so we have a bit more room to work with. I'll be sure to bring that up in the next log but for now this is Ada Brook signing off.
  • Options

Log 04: Ada Brook

Ok big news! I'm sure I mentioned in the last log that we'd be doing some renovations to the HAB right? Well we somewhat did in the form of adding a basement to our base. It took a bit of convincing to get this approved by the SSA but they agreed that it would be best for us to have the extra space in order to make the mission run smoothly. Within the day they had a team down and they helped up to clear out some new space.

LVTQJYB.png

Eqn8gKb.png

s1qJe0s.png

There's not much down there but it is cool that we have our own rooms now. We decided to turn our old room into a mini gym, granted there's just the one treadmill in there right now but we might put some more stuff in there soon. After a bit of work I managed to put some stuff in the main room to make is less empty. It's not much but it's a start!

MauIVNl.png

Oh and guess what?

We can eat more than cereal now! Thomas had been studying the fish like creatures we've seen and with some help from one of the labs on the station he was able to find out that it is safe to eat. We may not have a stove yet but he had another idea that was kinda fun. It's not the fanciest but something about cooking on a campfire under an alien sky is just incredible.

OSxfPzl.png

Though its not all fun and games with this as we had a few....uh....mishaps.

BwGgOt1.png

x4LYFWN.png

I guess there's a reason we don't usually deal with flammable objects in space. We're fine though! We've totally got this under control. And I'm not just saying that cause the director is seeing these logs, trust me you made the right choice sending us. Umm... moving on.

In other news we finally had enough saved up to get a rocket launch pad. To say Thomas was ecstatic would be an understatement. Boys and their toys I guess. He says its gonna be very helpful cause we'll be able to run our own short missions and possibly be able to get supplies down here a bit more often.

Lxa8XOD.png

Let's just say the rocket isn't the only thing being built around here. Me and Thomas have defiantly been getting closer. I've been messaging my friend Nandi who's on the station about this and she won't stop teasing me about how romantic it is the have a planet all to ourselves. Thankfully Thomas was outside working on the rocket and didn't hear that. Though maybe he didn't need to, or he's thinking the same thing. At fist I thought that it'd be weird to start seeing Thomas in that way, I mean he is the mission commander, but things have changed in the time we've been here.

0QzJzbl.png

0r9v0LN.png

I think I like this though. It was a bit unexpected due to how professional he was at the start but maybe this could work out after all. Oh! I've got to go Thomas needs some help with the garden. I'll keep you posted on anything new, Ada Brook signing off.
  • Options
    Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    Very nice (: I am looking forward to seeing what you write next!
  • Options

Log 05: Ada Brook

Wow time sure does fly. I didn't even realize it's been a few months since my last entry. According to my screen we've been on this planet for nearly a year now. As for why I've not kept up with this well things have been pretty busy and very exciting. It took months but me an Thomas have finished the rocket we've started.

MzQyNT0.png

It's been fun just flying around with it. Even using it to get a look at some more areas on Maxaris. This place is very similar to earth since there's some greener areas like Newcrest and then desert areas as well. We've been thinking of naming the different areas as well but maybe another time.

Not only that but after "borrowing" a few spare parts from salvage on the space station and my engineering knowledge I've created...a shower!!

And before you laugh just try going nearly a year without one and tell me how funny it is to be excited by one!

0DXYfHC.png

Our little HAB is starting to become a real home now. Hm... I guess that should bring me into the other big news that has come up in the last few months. Like I said last time me and Thomas had been getting closer, well we spent the time really getting to know each other and just enjoying each others company.

qXxCiUJ.png

gJJCyer.png

He just makes me so happy! I feel like we were just meant to be even if we weren't on this mission. He admitted to me that he did think I was kinda cute when we were both going through training for this mission but never said anything since he didn't want things to awkward with it just being the two of us. I thought that was adorable and well lets just say I've been smiling like an idiot most of the time since the last log no matter what I'm doing.

oSRyedX.png

Thomas is looking over at me now gesturing excitedly for me to get to the best part of what's happened. We'd been stargazing on the roof of the HAB just before sunrise since that was when you could see the most stars on Maxaris. As I was about to head down though he stopped me and then...he proposed!

hdVo7ro.png

He said he spent weeks looking though the various storage rooms of things brought from earth on the station before I found the perfect one. He said the most wonderful things and of course I said yes!

oFKf4fQ.png

I don't think I could have been happier in my life. When I told Nandi she was squealing with joy and said she was gonna tell everyone on the station about this. I had tried to calm her down a bit but well when Nandi gets excited...there's no bringing her back down. Within the day our inbox was full of congratulations from our friends and family on the station. There was even one directly from the SSA director.

We did a bit of moving around and now I've moved into Thomas's room. I'll admit I missed it when we shared a room and now...well we're a lot closer and I'll never be alone now.

SXxEj8f.png

A few nights later we made it official. We;; as official as we can here. We exchanged our vows under the beautiful stars of our home. Thomas looked so happy and I knew for sure that we truly were meant to be.

S54Lhgr.png

I don't think I've been happier than I am now and a welcome the challenge to see if anything could be better than this. Even though we don't have much down here we've got each other and we've got the knowledge that we're the ones starting simanity on it's new course and new home. It's a great feeling to have and makes for an interesting thought. Now I think I'm starting to ramble a bit so I'm just gonna go now. Until next time Ada Carroll signing off.
  • Options

Log 06: Ada Carroll

Hey so long time no see eh? We've been very busy down here and from the looks of it it's been about ... a year since I updated this ... um ... oops?

But hey we've got someone we'd like to you to meet. Well two someone's that is.

PzyAQLu.png

Meet little Scott and John! The first children born on our new home and our adorable twin boys! So far they are an absolute joy to have and they've definitely made this place less boring and lonely. Oh god though being pregnant on a planet with literaly no medical facility is pretty hard though.

TYInueu.png

I kept myself busy though making stuff for the kids. Though I'll have to keep working since we didn't know they were gonna be twins. I've also been making some toys and other things for them.

3y5nRIL.png

It was hard though being stuck inside the HAB the whole time, you know since they don't really make maternity spacesuits and we can't be outside for too long yet. I kept busy though making stuff for the kids and analyzing whatever Thomas had found while exploring the surrounding area.

bGILIuv.png

vUHaDUy.png

Other than that it was a pretty peaceful pregnancy. I was nervous at first about all this but Thomas was so excited about being a father that it seemed contagious. He would make the funniest voice when talking to the little guys.

Wk5tBvI.png

We planned for me to go up to the station when it was closer to time so that we could make sure I delivered safely. And then like most plans they didn't pan out. They ended up coming a week early Thomas was panicking and so was I considering we did not have the equipment to do this down here. God and we did not have anything for the pain and Thomas did not want to risk trying to get me up to the station and have issues on the shuttle so they were born down here.

zuGEv1z.png

1GmxrBF.png

A few hours later though and Scott and John joined us on our little planet.

KJPZCox.png

They're a joy to have and I'm so happy everything went smoothly all things considered. I'll admit I've always wanted to be a mother and from the looks of things me and Thomas will make good parents. At least we hope so!

nJgPCDE.png

upZGeWi.png

Ah speaking of the kids someone needs changing, Space mom to the rescue! Oh uh Ada Carroll signing off!
  • Options
    I want to apologize for the wait. I've been exploring new planets in No Man's Sky since it updated and I'll be going away for about a week so there may be a bit of time till the next update. I am going to try and get a few more up before I leave on Saturday and then Mass Effect Andromeda launches so...yeah may be a bit. Thanks for the comments so far as well :smiley:
  • Options
    kitoraemkitoraem Posts: 889 Member
    @amberquigley I love your story, can't wait to see more. I don't blame you regarding No Man's Sky. Game is awesome.
    May we all chill like wizards
  • Options
    crissylp89crissylp89 Posts: 35 Member
    Also anxiously awaiting your return to see what challenges you come up with for the colonizers! Can't wait for more transmissions ;)
  • Options
    mypalsim1mypalsim1 Posts: 4,282 Member
    This is neat. Bookmarking to see where you go with this.
  • Options
    GilplumGilplum Posts: 36 Member
    I just read all that you have posted and bookmarked the idea, I'm going to try and get started now!
    Gplums blog
    "ever had a Plum?" "There is NO need for such language!"
  • Options
    Expect updates to resume this week! Super happy since Scott and John are babies Ada and Thomas can to enjoy the full experience of parenthood!