Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Objects that are too attractive (autonomy)

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    DrDrengusDrDrengus Posts: 11 New Member
    A mod that adjusted this kind of thing could be a really great addition.

What if the fun rating of objects didn't increase the likelihood of a sim doing something until they've already done it at least once (unless it is affected by a personality trait). And the more you make your sim do something the more fun they get out of it. It'd be like they formed habits, and could be very different from sim to sim.

Also, using a computer should be treated like sleeping or cooking - sims in strangers' houses or public spaces should not be able to jump on someone else's computer. Or should be scolded if they do. As it is, patients at the hospital have no problems jumping on the front desk computer, and the receptionist just stands there helpless until they leave.

Sims is a fun game and all, but there are a LOT of issues like these that EA seems to be oblivious to.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    @spacejason3d

What if the fun rating of objects didn't increase the likelihood of a sim doing something until they've already done it at least once (unless it is affected by a personality trait). And the more you make your sim do something the more fun they get out of it. It'd be like they formed habits, and could be very different from sim to sim.

Also, using a computer should be treated like sleeping or cooking - sims in strangers' houses or public spaces should not be able to jump on someone else's computer. Or should be scolded if they do. As it is, patients at the hospital have no problems jumping on the front desk computer, and the receptionist just stands there helpless until they leave.

Sims is a fun game and all, but there are a LOT of issues like these that EA seems to be oblivious to.

as to the first thing you suggest, habits
    i doubt a mod can do that, it's basically reprogramming of the game & would probably require the addition of new interactions, which might be rather impossible

as to the second, the usage of the computer
    @LiaRose1435 posted a link to a new MTS mod by scumbumbo, the Self-Configurable Autonomy Mod
    i tested it right away in my game & disabled several of the autonomous interactions with a computer - works wonderful ! & prevents even NPCs in the detective career to use computers for trolling forums, playing games or browsing the web, they now just sit mainly in front of a black screen & from time to time do something more reasonable with it, like researching something
    this makes even the access of my directed sim to a computer far easier than before, the computers are not clogged continuously by those fake "busy" NPCs

with this mod still not every autonomous action is possible to disable but quite many
    some of sims' actions are not enabled by the object itself or the sim but by something else, like constantly drinking water or the current TV bug of constantly watching the kids channel, both actions are still done autonomously
    but at least the random push ups middle in a nightclub can be shut down :trollface:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    My Sims have a bug with any and all sink objects. They keep walking up to them and standing there.
  • Options
    jennthyajennthya Posts: 328 Member
    edited November 2017
    Oh and don't have a globe bar on your lot and hire a butler! Good grief they literally just drink all darn day!
  • Options
    WonderAisWonderAis Posts: 102 Member
    I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere before, but doll houses!!

I just don't place them in any of my houses, because every single sim - young or old- will just play dolls all day. It's very frustrating! It also doesn't help that my angry sims smash them almost every day, so the toddlers are just constantly upset.

As for computers, I've opted to lock them in household only rooms, because all of the visitors just hog them all day (and night).
  • Options
    WonderAis wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere before, but doll houses!!

I just don't place them in any of my houses, because every single sim - young or old- will just play dolls all day. It's very frustrating! It also doesn't help that my angry sims smash them almost every day, so the toddlers are just constantly upset.

As for computers, I've opted to lock them in household only rooms, because all of the visitors just hog them all day (and night).

what a gameplay :smirk:

• Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    The autonomy problems are most apparent when your sims have company over, whether it's a casual visit or a party. If you have a computer, arcade machine, or anything else that's got a high fun rating on it in a room that's not locked to all but family members, they'll go straight for that and ignore your sims/the party. If you have someone casually visiting, and they suddenly become energized, they'll ditch your sim out of the blue for a random jog. So, even if you have autonomy off for your household, the poor autonomy AI will still get on your nerves through NPC's you're trying to interact and socialize with.

...And don't get me started on random NPC sims horning in on your sims' dates, or how annoying it can be when your sim's date suddenly runs off to greet a random sim or they're chilling in the garden of the WIllow Creek museum and suddenly they cut off the conversation to look at a painting or something. Why haven't they fixed that yet, again...?
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    Oh gosh, don't even get me started on bar drinks. What's especially annoying about the attractiveness of the bar is that bar drinks cost money. And with the way autonomy works as of now, even if you cancel the action, they've usually already bought the drink by the time the action finally drops from their queue, and it just gets replaced by "wait for drink." I even have this problem with pregnant Sims. Talk about irresponsibility!

And there's also the snack machine, which is especially attractive on the hospital lot for some reason. Whenever I play a doctor, they're usually instantly drawn to the snack machine, even if they're not hungry at all. They'll actually even do this if they have a sack lunch already in their inventory. Heck, this even happens with whoever I bring with a pregnant Sim to the hospital. No joke, they almost immediately buy a sandwich without fail, even when they aren't hungry at all. Seriously, your partner's having a baby, and your first instinct is to grab a sandwich?

All in all, I don't think that any action that involves buying something should be autonomous. For NPC Sims, sure, but not our controlled Sims. If I want them to buy something, I'll tell them to buy something!
  • Options
    AmeliaNovaAmeliaNova Posts: 76 Member
    I love putting dollhouses in my houses bc the toddler and child interactions with them are super cute but I can't stand every single person in the house always playing with the dollhouse!! It's starting to drive me insane.
  • Options
    EnderGamer87EnderGamer87 Posts: 248 Member
    Don't get me started on Retail Stores. The sims just stand and talk. If you have any food, TV's, and Computers the Patrons just keep using those instead of shopping. Even the employees don't do their jobs.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    jennthya wrote: »
    Oh and don't have a globe bar on your lot and hire a butler! Good grief they literally just drink all darn day!

This is so sad because the globe bar was a big selling feature for me. I wanted my wealthy Sims to have one in their home but they were constantly drinking all day long. It drove me crazy, so I had to remove it.
  • Options
    keekee53 wrote: »

This is so sad because the globe bar was a big selling feature for me. I wanted my wealthy Sims to have one in their home but they were constantly drinking all day long. It drove me crazy, so I had to remove it.

if something would drive me that crazy i would first look if there is a mod which would help me
    usually if i am bothered by a feature then other players are too & at some point someone makes a mod to help out

but oc in general the features should be either tested well enough to make for a nice gameplay & not to pester the players or there should be options to adjust it to the player's liking
    TS4 has lots of very annoying autonomous actions

• Options
    keekee53 wrote: »

if something would drive me that crazy i would first look if there is a mod which would help me
    usually if i am bothered by a feature then other players are too & at some point someone makes a mod to help out

but oc in general the features should be either tested well enough to make for a nice gameplay & not to pester the players or there should be options to adjust it to the player's liking
    TS4 has lots of very annoying autonomous actions

Yeah I usually do look for a mod. I have yet to find a mod that just stops them from drinking from the globe bar. If most objects had the same tuning I think we would run into this obsessive behavior less often.
  • Options
    @spacejason3d

as to the first thing you suggest, habits
    i doubt a mod can do that, it's basically reprogramming of the game & would probably require the addition of new interactions, which might be rather impossible

as to the second, the usage of the computer
    @LiaRose1435 posted a link to a new MTS mod by scumbumbo, the Self-Configurable Autonomy Mod
    i tested it right away in my game & disabled several of the autonomous interactions with a computer - works wonderful ! & prevents even NPCs in the detective career to use computers for trolling forums, playing games or browsing the web, they now just sit mainly in front of a black screen & from time to time do something more reasonable with it, like researching something
    this makes even the access of my directed sim to a computer far easier than before, the computers are not clogged continuously by those fake "busy" NPCs

with this mod still not every autonomous action is possible to disable but quite many
    some of sims' actions are not enabled by the object itself or the sim but by something else, like constantly drinking water or the current TV bug of constantly watching the kids channel, both actions are still done autonomously
    but at least the random push ups middle in a nightclub can be shut down :trollface:

omg wait wait..I need to download this mod.
  • Options
    ST7_MTNMANST7_MTNMAN Posts: 172 Member
    Well like so many other parts of this game there are workarounds for alot of these issues.

Like someone mentioned Household locked doors can work, but i find that if i am going to have people over i just use the "Roped off" type fence from GTW and place it where i want prior to the party or whatever the case may be it works. Unfortunately for those who don't have GTW this is a shame that you have to do this