Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

updated with photos: The war with floors and ceilings in Basement

RalphaelNinjaRalphaelNinja Posts: 1,461 Member
edited January 2017 in The Sims 3 Builders
The lack of enthusiasm on this discovery leads me to believe that few players are affected by this. Just to show you that I'm not a nutcase or perhaps I am, I thought I would show you my two basement floor layout for my upcoming build.

01-29-17_9-20-24PM_zpsc3xfnx6l.jpg

01-29-17_9-20-28PM_zpsafs3jnix.jpg

Building within these two basement floors are a pain in the.... neck.... thus if you do open floor basement builds, the problem and solutions are as follows.

The problem and the solution:
With the discovery that we can have open sky basements (by selecting a basement room, go up a level where you can see the yellow ring around the selected room and click on remove ceiling), I've been fighting with the game to get the ceilings/floor back, as there is a bug the "build ceiling" doesn't work.

When I say fighting, I do mean fighting as I struggle to get the floors back by repeatedly deleting the basement room, build a pool, delete the pool, build a room on top, delete the room on top and so on. Once in awhile, I get a piece of the floor back. However once I get the floor which is the ceiling on the bottom-most basement floor I inadvertently get the ceiling back which is the green grass on the top basement floor; you cannot delete the grass ceiling using the hammer; you have to go through the whole basement ceiling removal procedure.

Then I concentrate on trying to get the other parts of the floor back by creating square rooms, deleting said rooms, putting a triangle deck which does seem to work but if your deck is bigger than the area of the floor that you are trying to get back, then you have to go through the whole ceiling removing procedure to remove the extraneous floor/ceiling pieces; repeat for removing grass ceilings.

This fight has gone on for the last week or so. If you have a good imagination, imagine someone with the tip of their tongue sticking out as they repeatedly click, build and delete walls and floors around the affected area.

Suddenly today...

I clicked on an area that had brown dirt floors (I had given up on getting the floors back on these large areas) and a bright yellow enclosure popped up. I clicked again and up popped an option that said "Build Floors", so I thought

why not, I don't see this option too often, so I clicked on it.....

and immediately the brown dirt floor was filled with green grass.....

whoa.....

I selected another brown dirt area (an area that I fought very hard to get back the floor with multiple deck overlays and building/deleting a room on top and finally gave up since it was such an odd shaped area) and...

up popped the same option "Build Floor"....

and the floor was built....

so if you are having this problem with missing ceilings or floors on a basement ceiling that you had removed, there is a conundrum here because if you create a basement room there would be no ceiling. If you go up a level there will be no floor for you to click on to build the floor.

To make this work, you have to delete the basement room which then gives you back a dirt patch floor, then you click on the dirt patch floor to build floor,

then you re-create your basement room, of which now, will have a ceiling.

I came here instantly to share..... because it was so revealing that I just had to share....

and since I'm here, a reminder to check out my builds. <== click here.
(I haven't had time to create a gif slideshow for my signature assuming that gifs still works in this forum for signatures.)
Ralphael%20Creations%202_zpsiovmt0hx.jpg
Post edited by RalphaelNinja on