Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I update?

With the recent release of toddlers on the sims 4, I am thinking of going back to the game after a year of not playing to check them out. The only problem is, for obvious reasons, I never updated to the last patch for the sims 3 cause I was afraid it would ruin my game like it did so may others. It's to the point where I can't avoid updating the sims 3 if I go into origin so I have a couple questions about the update before I decide to do it. If you have all the eps and sps can you play with them all if you want to or does it limit you? Does it affect game play in anyway?
Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The way this is supposed to work is that if you exempt your games from auto-updating, you may get asked if you want TS3 patched but it shouldn't happen all by itself. But some players have found that agreeing to patches for other Origin games, such as TS4, sometimes does trigger the TS3 patch. Though if they catch it happening they can terminate that part of the process.

As for Patch 1.69 itself, if you are going to patch up to it on purpose I would suggest pulling your TS3 game folder out of Documents first -- you can put it back in its entirety later. This was always a "best practice" for patching TS3. Core mods, if you have any, will need to be updated for 1.69. There are only five such mods in common use for TS3, more info on the link to follow. But the patch changes nothing at all about game play, only the way in which the game must be started.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Patch+1.69

The EP/SP Chooser is a pain, but one gets used to examining it every time to make sure all of the desired packs are checked off before hitting Start on the Launcher. You can make the nag message about having too many packs selected go away permanently by clicking "Stop telling me this" or the equivalent, but the patch doesn't actually prevent anyone from playing with all of them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    If you have all the eps and sps can you play with them all if you want to or does it limit you? Does it affect game play in anyway?

I play with all the EPs and SPs. The patch doesn't limit me at all. It hasn't affected my gameplay at all. It didn't ruin my game. It really had no affect on my game, just the Launcher. I can't bypass the Launcher anymore and must have Origin running in the background, but that hasn't been a problem yet.

I did have to update a few core mods I use, but that's all. The Launcher occasionally forgets which EPs/SPs you've chosen to use, but it happens so rarely for me that I don't bother to check that tab anymore. When it does happen it's always been all or nothing for me, so if I load a game and there's some message about missing objects then I know right away what happened. I just exit without saving, relaunch, and check the Expansions and Stuff Packs tab on the Launcher and recheck everything. Sounds like a pain, but it happens so rarely that it's more of a pain to be to check the tab each time I play.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Thank you both for the help. I guess i'll go update my game and see what happens.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago. I now have the latest patch. It wasn't through choice. But I can't complain, my game has been running super smooth. I can't say I've noticed a difference since the patch. My sims 3 game performs better than my sims 4 game does! :D
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited January 2017
    Every time I go into Origin to let Sims 4 update, it "tries" to update Sims 3 as well. I just uncheck that box. It's not gotten past me yet! If you do let it update 3, good luck!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Every time I go into Origin to let Sims 4 update, it "tries" to update Sims 3 as well. I just uncheck that box. It's not gotten past me yet! If you do let it update 3, good luck!
    Really? Fortunately that doesn't happen for me, it's just Sims 4 that gets updated.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't gone in Origin yet so i'll see if maybe I can do this instead. :)
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't gone in Origin yet so i'll see if maybe I can do this instead. :)

Even though I have automatic updates unchecked on the Sims 3 launcher it still tries, it is determined.

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I had to get it to install WA as my disc magically got scratched while in the case. I haven't had any problems and it really isn't a big deal, just sometimes the launcher unchecks your packs.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Even though I have automatic updates unchecked on the Sims 3 launcher it still tries, it is determined.

Origin is >:) . I refuse to open it.
  • Options
    Finally got in to Origin and managed to avoid the sims 3 update.(Yay!) Now I get to play with the new toddlers without worry. :)