Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the game work on windows 10?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    If you have someone willing to build u a pc.. do it.
    Its much cheaper. I can help you a little later today with parts ;)

I mean my brother in law did tell me how much it would cost it wasn't such a big difference... but I didn't know the sims needed such a good computer. So I will really consider a desktop if you guys advice it.

I think you should go for desktop and get a 1tb hard drive as a second hard drive and get a 500 gb SSD for your main drive. You will be so thankful to play the sims 3 on an SSD hard drive. You will never want to go back to playing that game on an HDD hard drive . I have been playing that game on SSD for a few years and it is so much better. All the people in the sims 3 section that play on SSD will tell you that too

Mmm this sounds so tempting hahaha

Ask @sparkfairy1 she finally recently broke down and got an SSD and could not be happier :) I could never go back to playing TS3 on an HDD hard drive again. With SSD, you could have the largest save and it will load in 5 minutes or less . We will convince you to get an SSD for the sims 3 :p

Absolutely. TS3 ran great for me anyway but with an ssd? Incredible. I kept my old hard drive as a storage drive too so all great :)
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

I mean my brother in law did tell me how much it would cost it wasn't such a big difference... but I didn't know the sims needed such a good computer. So I will really consider a desktop if you guys advice it.

I think you should go for desktop and get a 1tb hard drive as a second hard drive and get a 500 gb SSD for your main drive. You will be so thankful to play the sims 3 on an SSD hard drive. You will never want to go back to playing that game on an HDD hard drive . I have been playing that game on SSD for a few years and it is so much better. All the people in the sims 3 section that play on SSD will tell you that too

Ask @sparkfairy1 she finally recently broke down and got an SSD and could not be happier :) I could never go back to playing TS3 on an HDD hard drive again. With SSD, you could have the largest save and it will load in 5 minutes or less . We will convince you to get an SSD for the sims 3 :p

The worst part is that I still have to wait to even get a computer, but in so anxious already!

It's worth the wait if you get the right hardware and the game runs better in the end. You will see what I mean if you get that SSD for TS3. SSD does not really make a difference for TS4 so I would put that game on your second hard drive and make sure you dedicate your SSD to just TS3 and windows which will also boot much quicker

What do you mean a second hard drive ... sorry I feel so dumb for asking so much haha

So for me I have two hard drives now. An ssd for TS3 and my old, traditional type hard drive that I had before. That way you have two options. I mostly use my old hard drive as a storage drive but it's also good for programs that don't need the ssd to run well :)
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

The worst part is that I still have to wait to even get a computer, but in so anxious already!

It's worth the wait if you get the right hardware and the game runs better in the end. You will see what I mean if you get that SSD for TS3. SSD does not really make a difference for TS4 so I would put that game on your second hard drive and make sure you dedicate your SSD to just TS3 and windows which will also boot much quicker

What do you mean a second hard drive ... sorry I feel so dumb for asking so much haha

the SSD is a faster hard drive. This hard drive should be on your main C drive where you install windows. SSD is more expensive than an hdd hard drive. With custom desktop most people will have two or more hard drives for more storage. I would advise you have at least two hard drives. I do on both my laptop and desktop. Both have SSD on C drive and a second HDD hard drive. For example I keep all my sims saves , downloads, cc, screen shots ect on my hdd hard drive for safe kepping. I have the game installed on the SSD. By transferring some of my sims 3 game files to the hdd it frees up my game of having too many files. I can also go back to a prior save if the game saves mess up. You can just drag files from one hard drive to another. If you download music, movies, pictures etc they are good to store on the second hard drive.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    I could never go back to booting up and shutting down windows on a HDD. Nothing like being able to use your pc 6 seconds after turning it on LOL. My laptop does not have a SSD and it slows to a crawl with just a few things loading in the background.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    I could never go back to booting up and shutting down windows on a HDD. Nothing like being able to use your pc 6 seconds after turning it on LOL. My laptop does not have a SSD and it slows to a crawl with just a few things loading in the background.

I know you quit playing TS3 but what a difference it makes playing that game on ssd .
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I know you quit playing TS3 but what a difference it makes playing that game on ssd .

It makes a difference on other games also, Dragon age inquisition was one game in particular which improves load times with SSD, also tomb raider 2015.
    General applications open quicker also.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited January 2017
    This will explain what the differences are:
    https://youtu.be/YQEjGKYXjw8

If the budget allows, always get two drives. :) One SSD (solid state drive) as the main drive for Windows + games and HDD (hard disk drive) as the second drive for files, pictures, storage, etc... Even then, it's worth the extra cash.

I want to point out if you choose to buy parts and have your family member build for you, you can buy parts as they go on sale. This makes it much easier to afford. Just make sure you have some closet space for all the boxes. :D
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited January 2017

If you go the route of building your own, Then i will give you a general list of hardware to go by.
    I dont have any links for south America, But i'm sure you can find some places that sell most of this stuff.
    This link will get you started on where to buy the hardware in your Country, they have a list of places from around the world that sell hardware
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1643019/guide-international-users-links-part-stores.html

Now for the list of hardware i would personally choose for a good system for simming :
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zwxtNN

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member

the SSD is a faster hard drive. This hard drive should be on your main C drive where you install windows. SSD is more expensive than an hdd hard drive. With custom desktop most people will have two or more hard drives for more storage. I would advise you have at least two hard drives. I do on both my laptop and desktop. Both have SSD on C drive and a second HDD hard drive. For example I keep all my sims saves , downloads, cc, screen shots ect on my hdd hard drive for safe kepping. I have the game installed on the SSD. By transferring some of my sims 3 game files to the hdd it frees up my game of having too many files. I can also go back to a prior save if the game saves mess up. You can just drag files from one hard drive to another. If you download music, movies, pictures etc they are good to store on the second hard drive.

It makes a difference on other games also, Dragon age inquisition was one game in particular which improves load times with SSD, also tomb raider 2015.

If the budget allows, always get two drives. :) One SSD (solid state drive) as the main drive for Windows + games and HDD (hard disk drive) as the second drive for files, pictures, storage, etc... Even then, it's worth the extra cash.

I want to point out if you choose to buy parts and have your family member build for you, you can buy parts as they go on sale. This makes it much easier to afford. Just make sure you have some closet space for all the boxes. :D

Ok you guys are great :) now my question is how do I select that I wanna use the SSD for the sims 3 and the HDD for the sims 4. And this is probably the most embarrassing questions but do you like take this thing out and then put it back in or do they just work at the same time
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

Ok you guys are great :) now my question is how do I select that I wanna use the SSD for the sims 3 and the HDD for the sims 4. And this is probably the most embarrassing questions but do you like take this thing out and then put it back in or do they just work at the same time

The ssd would go on c drive with windows. The hdd you would pick another drive. Might be labeled D drive. You just install the sims 3 and it will go right to the ssd on c drive. The sims 4 you can custom install and just direct it to the second drive. When you get the computer we can help you do that. It's easy to do and you probably wont need us. LOL Even if you play steam games they ask you which hard drive drive before you install
  • Options

The ssd would go on c drive with windows. The hdd you would pick another drive. Might be labeled D drive. You just install the sims 3 and it will go right to the ssd on c drive. The sims 4 you can custom install and just direct it to the second drive. When you get the computer we can help you do that. It's easy to do and you probably wont need us. LOL Even if you play steam games they ask you which hard drive drive before you install

Ooh ok thank you so much :) hope I can get it soon... even I've been waiting for a year
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Hi! I was talking to my brother in law would the SSD hardrive have enough capacity for ts3 a most EPs and some of the worlds?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Hi! I was talking to my brother in law would the SSD hardrive have enough capacity for ts3 a most EPs and some of the worlds?

I would get a 500 gb ssd for C drive if it fits in the budget. Dont get any less than 250. I have a 250 gb Samsung EVO ssd with windows and the sims 3. I transfer a lot of files from the game to my other hard drive. With the sims 3 you need to leave 50 gb free hard drive space while playing. Having a 500 gb ssd would be better than the 250 gb I have. SSD have come down in price. They were a lot more expensive when I got my computer of I would have 500 gb
  • Options

I would get a 500 gb ssd for C drive if it fits in the budget. Dont get any less than 250. I have a 250 gb Samsung EVO ssd with windows and the sims 3. I transfer a lot of files from the game to my other hard drive. With the sims 3 you need to leave 50 gb free hard drive space while playing. Having a 500 gb ssd would be better than the 250 gb I have. SSD have come down in price. They were a lot more expensive when I got my computer of I would have 500 gb

But can the 250 gb handle it?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Also what about the intel thing which one is ok would intel i5 do it
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

But can the 250 gb handle it?

It can if you don't put a lot of stuff on c drive and redirect your documents folder to d drive. If you have a lot of cc you may run into trouble with 250 gb . I dont have a lot of 3rd party cc compared to some others. Third party cc will hog up your hard drive space more so than game content
  • Options
    I don't have any space issues with sims installed on my 250GB. I always store extra save files not in use on my storage hard drive anyways.
    You can direct any game on Origin to install onto any drive. In the Origin client/launcher, at the top Origin > Application Settings > Install & Saves. (don't bother with cloud storage) Steam should have similar options.
    This is personal preference but I have anything I download through my browser set to install on my storage hard drive. For Chrome:
    Three dots at the top right > Settings > Show advanced settings... at the bottom > scroll until you find Downloads. You can also tell it to ask where to save for each download. Any browser should have similar options. For more help when you have everything set up, PM me.

Ask @chesterbigbird to set you up with a part list.
  • Options
    I don't have any space issues with sims installed on my 250GB. I always store extra save files not in use on my storage hard drive anyways.
    You can direct any game on Origin to install onto any drive. In the Origin client/launcher, at the top Origin > Application Settings > Install & Saves. (don't bother with cloud storage) Steam should have similar options.
    This is personal preference but I have anything I download through my browser set to install on my storage hard drive. For Chrome:
    Three dots at the top right > Settings > Show advanced settings... at the bottom > scroll until you find Downloads. You can also tell it to ask where to save for each download. Any browser should have similar options. For more help when you have everything set up, PM me.

Ask @chesterbigbird to set you up with a part list.

What do you mean extra save files you don't use?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Some people have more than one save file. Example: Carp family, Silver family, River family, etc... So if I only plan on playing let's say the Carp family, then I will put the rest of those save files I'm not currently playing on a different drive. Right-click on the save file from your Sims 4 folder and cut. Then go to My Computer (or This PC as Windows 10 calls it) and select a different drive. Paste anywhere on that drive you'd like to store it. You can make a "Sims 4 Backup" folder.
  • Options
    At the time of building my desktop, I decided to go with a single 250GB solid state drive to save money and installed all games on a 2TB hard drive. I eventually added a second 250GB just for games. I don't have space issues right now like I said but I do pull any extra save files not in use and put those somewhere else. 500GB is the smart option if you can afford it just to avoid any space issues.
  • Options
    At the time of building my desktop, I decided to go with a single 250GB solid state drive to save money and installed all games on a 2TB hard drive. I eventually added a second 250GB just for games. I don't have space issues right now like I said but I do pull any extra save files not in use and put those somewhere else. 500GB is the smart option if you can afford it just to avoid any space issues.

Can I just save everything there ? Like for example
    If I play rotational
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    In the middle of a build with Maingear and this thread has been very helpful.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

If I play rotational
    Yes it all depends on how much space you have. That's why I choose to store any extra saves somewhere else.

You can also have separate game folders for every save instead. This might be easier since Sims 4 save files are a bit different than Sims 3. I'm not trying to confuse you which I think I am. I'm sorry! lol
  • Options

If I play rotational
    Yes it all depends on how much space you have. That's why I choose to store any extra saves somewhere else.

You can also have separate game folders for every save instead. This might be easier since Sims 4 save files are a bit different than Sims 3. I'm not trying to confuse you which I think I can. I'm sorry! lol

It's easy to confuse me, I don't know that much lol is not your fault

They did advice me to install or whatever the sims 4 in an HDD hardrive
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member

If I play rotational

You can also have separate game folders for every save instead. This might be easier since Sims 4 save files are a bit different than Sims 3. I'm not trying to confuse you which I think I can. I'm sorry! lol

It's easy to confuse me, I don't know that much lol is not your fault

They did advice me to install or whatever the sims 4 in an HDD hardrive

Sims 4 would be fine on an HDD versus an SSD. I have had Sims 4 on an HDD and I now have it on my SSD and there is not a real difference, load/playing wise. Now, Sims 3... you definitely want that one on a SSD, but Sims 4 doesn't really benefit from being on an SSD from my experience. SSD's are still great to have, but to save space on your SSD for games that would benefit from being there, you could put Sims 4 on an HDD. :)
    p8L4V6v.png